• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Good questions all.

Do plants suffer? Well plants are alive I guess we cannot doubt that, but suffering means a certian level of sentiance does it not?

My childhood was not a good one, as I grew though I had no comprehension of how badly treated I was. I had thought my experiances normal and in line with every other child. It was only when I reached a certian age and had experianced the way other children grew up that i realised how bad my childhood had been.

So did I suffer as child? Well yes and no. When I was a child I had no idea that I was indeed suffering, only when I was out of that situation did hindsigth kick in.

So suffering is consequnces of self knowledge. No self knowldege no suffering, so although I of course cannot say for sure, I do not belive that plants suffer.

Interesting point Leeji, if we do not know we are suffering, then are we suffering, does a plant have knowledge?, and if it does have knowledge, does it have memory? some very quick research points to the goldfish having the shortest memory, at around 3 months, as far as I know, plants have no brain, and actions are chemically induced, or by tripping sensors.

HMm, Lee, now that you know you suffered in the past tense, and bearing in mind you did not suffer then, what suffering does it cause you now, bearing in mind that time has passed?. In essence, does suffering without knowledge mean that when you have that knowledge, you will suffer?, as clearly you cannot suffer in hindsight, or can you?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Interesting point Leeji, if we do not know we are suffering, then are we suffering, does a plant have knowledge?, and if it does have knowledge, does it have memory? some very quick research points to the goldfish having the shortest memory, at around 3 months, as far as I know, plants have no brain, and actions are chemically induced, or by tripping sensors.

HMm, Lee, now that you know you suffered in the past tense, and bearing in mind you did not suffer then, what suffering does it cause you now, bearing in mind that time has passed?. In essence, does suffering without knowledge mean that when you have that knowledge, you will suffer?, as clearly you cannot suffer in hindsight, or can you?

Harry ji,

I guess there is some truth in the sayin 'ignorance is bliss'.

Yes of course my childhood has effeted me, in all sorts of ways, for good and for ill, I am like the rest of us a product of my enviroment.

Am I suffering now? Well yes and no again, I think we all suffer from time to time. I'm a dad myself now and when my 15 year old boy comes home late at night I can't help but worry about him, this is suffering. Do I still suffer for my past, well yes and no again.

Does a plant have knowledge?

That is agreat question and I would have to say yes.

Let me explain that. There is something in a plants dna that makes it seek the sun, you can see if you have any potted plants in your house, say on your window sills that the plants move, the flowers follow the sun around the sky. The seed grows up towards the sun not down, the roots though go down to seek for water and nutriates.

On the surface of it these things are no more than chemical signals, and the biology of the plant in action. But I belive we can eqaute such things with an animals instincts. The baby bird is born with the instinctual knowledge to open it's mouth when the parents comes back to the nest with the worm.

Our own brains are no more than a chemial electrical soup, yet this soup grants us a sense of self.

So I can say yes a plant has knowledge, encoded knowledge. Haha perhaps a better question would be, is the plant aware of it's knowledge?

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Confused ji,
You miss my point again and again. I am not asking you to compare yourself to a plant but I will not consider the life of a plant less important than the life of an animal. See the shabad posted by Randip ji. Understanding of the senses includes appreciating their shortcomings and accepting the limitaitons of human senses. That is what I mean by avoiding over reliance in senses.

Here's some more info about the senses of plants:
http://www.brianjford.com/soulsa.htm
http://www.ehow.com/about_5367378_plant-reaction-music.html
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15320720.800-stressed-plants-cry-for-help.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html?_r=1&em

Many fish and animals also do not have a reproductive process that is involved. Does that make them any less animal? Processes may be different but the basic biological premise is the same-combining of parts from male and female to produce a brand new organism with no mixing between species. Finally, do you really think a butcher or farmer is a more 'evil' being and is less able to behave in a noble way compared to a person who consumes meat from the supermarket or from a person who is vegetarian?!!

Once again, the SIKH (not Buddhist) perspective is that abstaining from meat eating does not make a person more noble. Life is present in both plants and animals so we are always killing for food. Go back and read the shabads in this thread to demonstrate both points. I rest my case :book1:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Bhagat Sadhna Ji whose shabads are in SGGS was a BUTCHER. The false tales about him becoming a "ex-butcher" to be acceptable as Bhagat are without basis because there are NO "EX" in SGGS. Kabir didnt become an "EX-weaver" in order to become Bhagat..Bhagat ravidass ji didnt become "EX-Leather worker" to become acceptable as Bhagat.Dhanna ji didnt have to be "EX-Jatt farmer" to become Bhagat... So Sadhana was no more /less "evil? than Kabir Ji ro ravidass Ji or Dhanna ji,,,butcher is just a normal line of work..perfectly acceptable. (Talking Goats are Fantasy tales ...a Talking Goat is said to have convinced Sadhana ji to leave butchering and turn bhagat as the Goat told him..you ahve killed me and i have killed you many times already..so why not YOU end it now.....??? ..a talking COW didnt come and tell Ravidass ji to stop working on her skin or his skin would be worked on by her and so on... !! ha Ha )

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Science knows nothing but shadows, so how can it be used to judge what is and what is not the Truth?

Confused ji,

Is this correct? Using science you and I are able to communicate in this fashion. Using science we know how old the Earth is, how fare away from us the sun is, your house has energy so that you can clean and cook, you have a TV I assume, a radio, a computer, perhaps a car. All of this comes from Science, it is a great tool for us. Indeed if it was not for Science I would not have discovered Sikhi.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Going back to the original essay it states:

MOTIVATIONS BEHIND MISTRANSLATION AND MISREPRESENTATION

There are several reasons behind why these mistranslations and misrepresentations have occurred:

· The publishers have a lack of education and do not understand the meaning of words in Gurmukhi and the correct translation into English.
· In their eagerness to promote their own brand of Sikhism (Sant, Jatha etc) they have deliberately allowed mistranslation and misrepresentation.
· Genuine abhorrence of killing animals can be a motivation too (eg those people that believe in Animal Rights), however Sikhism should not be used as a tool to promote such agendas.
· Poor knowledge of history and the context in which the Gurus and Bhaghats wrotes these Angs is a factor too. This can lead to a misrepresentation.
· In conclusion one can only say that it is very important that Sikh institution promote a clear and concise programme where only those with a certain amount of knowledge in Sikh History and the Sikh Language, should be officially sanctioned as being translators for the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Now what we have to ask oursleves is what are our motivations?

Forget what we think or what view points we have but what is the Sikh point?

If one trully searches for objective truths, then a meat eating Sikh is no different from one who is Vegetarian. This IS the conclusion the Guru's have come up with, and if people cannot be happy with that then they must ask how objective are they being?japposatnamwaheguru:

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Bhagat ji,

I was going to respond to another post and just remembered this one.

You wrote:

Confused ji,
When you go deep inside yourself, do you think you know the Truth?

My guess is that you both will say that you know the Truth. (but correct me if I am wrong, I maybe wrong.)

Then if both of you know the Truth, what is the meaning of calling each other false?

If I could understand this, I think I would understand "Fools who wrangle over flesh" better, which is what the thread is about. So help me out here guys.

Frankly I do not understand your second question and do not have a clue as to what you mean by the sentence following from that. I would like to discuss your first question, but first seek some clarification.

"When you go deep inside yourself, do you think you know the Truth?"

What is the reference point when you distinguish between inside vs. outside of yourself. And what is deep as against shallow? And after you have answered this, please say a little about what you mean by Truth.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Findingmyway ji,

You miss my point again and again. I am not asking you to compare yourself to a plant but I will not consider the life of a plant less important than the life of an animal.

First of all, you are again bringing in the idea of utility and this confuses the issue. I was not talking in terms of whether plants were less or more important, only that they are not sentient beings.

I do get a feeling sometimes, of perhaps missing your point, but then I read some statement you made and think that I'm on the right track. But I apologize if it in fact happens that I take your comment out of context.

In this particular case, you kept on mentioning that believing plants to be lower than animals and humans was egoistic, and my understanding of ego is that it arises when someone compares oneself (or one's qualities) with another. So my objection was that since I do not even think that plants are sentient, how could I be comparing myself with plants? And besides, although I do consider animals lower to human beings, when taking into account the role of karma in determining the kind of birth, there is reason in fact, *not* to be egoistical.

Of course no doubt, I do have an infinite supply of conceit which otherwise raises its head throughout the day, and often in very gross and ugly forms. However I think it is wrong to make an association between conceit and some particular belief like the one we are discussing. After all there can be conceit with the very perception of an "I" and nothing to do with any kind of belief…

See the shabad posted by Randip ji. Understanding of the senses includes appreciating their shortcomings and accepting the limitaitons of human senses. That is what I mean by avoiding over reliance in senses.

And I responded to this by suggesting that it was the "understanding" or "wisdom" which is key. Understanding the senses and the experience through them, is understanding what is *not* of the nature of sense and sense-consciousness, and it is from this that I conclude that plants are not sentient. But of course we do rely on the senses, otherwise how would we even be able to identify and communicate about plants, animals and other human beings. But this is only in the context of living in the conventional world. When it comes to what reality or Truth is and what possibly exists beyond that which is perceived through the senses, this becomes a matter then, of understanding the nature of mental and physical phenomena. Or in other words, it is wisdom rather than what can be perceived through the senses that is the source for the kind of knowledge.

I only read bits and pieces and the overall impression is of 'projections galore'. So much so that I believe many of the more serious scientists would also object to the spirit with which some of these people approach the subject. But then even these scientists would fail to recognize the fact of the scientific materialist view which is the basis for their understanding about humans and animals, now being uses as measure for judging what plants are. That is, having reduced human behavior in terms of electric impulses and chemical reactions, the same is being observed in plants and used as reason to draw the particular conclusion. This I believe is The Big Mistake.

Indeed so ridiculous the position and line of thought is that some of what has been attributed to plants makes them appear to be in fact superior in some ways, to human beings, which I'm sure many Sikhs will object to. The part about music actually made me laugh out loud, and I thought that given that I hardly ever listen to classical music now but have gone back to enjoying Rock music (when exercising), I must be becoming progressively less sensitive and more stupid than those plants! ;-)

Many fish and animals also do not have a reproductive process that is involved. Does that make them any less animal?

But was I ever using the idea of reproduction as measure for what are and not sentient beings? When I compared the reproduction between plants and animals, I was pointing to the arising of consciousness at conception, as determining which of the two is a sentient being and which is not.

Processes may be different but the basic biological premise is the same-combining of parts from male and female to produce a brand new organism with no mixing between species.

All within the criterion set by the biological sciences, not by Truth and reality.

Finally, do you really think a butcher or farmer is a more 'evil' being and is less able to behave in a noble way compared to a person who consumes meat from the supermarket or from a person who is vegetarian?!!

I was never talking about "persons", but moral / immoral actions. Yes a butcher may be involved in killing at some point during his work hours, however at other times he may be performing good deeds more than the average person, such as showing generosity in selling his products. Although I would think that this likely won't go on for long if he actually *believed* that it was alright to kill. If he can't see the wrongness of killing, what are the chances of him seeing the wrong in other less obvious kinds of evil deeds? Indeed he would need to question the motives behind those apparent good acts. It could be that he is motivated to those deeds out of guilt and attachment to 'self' or worse, a wrong belief that in doing so, it would balance the books.

In the end however, even this is OK so long as one has begun to patiently develop understanding.
We all have a great tendency to evil and should not expect that to diminish just because we think we are now on the right track. The first step is not in the direction of an attempt at reducing these tendencies, but understanding what they are or in other words, who we are. This means that if any evil deed through body, speech and mind arises, in seeing it for what it is, there is acceptance as a result of 'detachment'. Indeed to think that we must be without certain qualities and going about trying so hard to get rid of them, points to exactly the opposite direction. This is because it is 'attachment' to self which is the driving force at those times, whereas it is detachment which is sign of being on the right track.

So as far as I'm concerned, the butcher, the average consumer of meat and the vegetarian, all are same insofar as all three either know who they are or they do not.

Once again, the SIKH (not Buddhist) perspective is that abstaining from meat eating does not make a person more noble. Life is present in both plants and animals so we are always killing for food. Go back and read the shabads in this thread to demonstrate both points. I rest my case

So you are saying that although the Buddhist too does not make an association between choice of food and that of morality and mental purity, but that killing *is* a matter of morality. The Sikh reason for not making the kind of association on the other hand, is that plants being equally alive, killing is unavoidable and so one might just as well kill some animal for food? Are you really convinced that this is the Sikh position?!!

Given the great emphasis on the five evils and the need to overcome these by the development of such qualities as patience, wisdom and contentment, I don't see that this could lead to what you suggest. Killing can only be motivated by attachment and done with aversion, and we are advised to have patience and contentment. I think therefore that there must be some misinterpretation and taking certain statements out of context. But this is only for you to consider and not to start a debate. And if you still think that you are correct, I will bow out of this discussion.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Lee ji,

Quote: Originally Posted by Confused
Science knows nothing but shadows, so how can it be used to judge what is and what is not the Truth?

Is this correct? Using science you and I are able to communicate in this fashion.

;-) In this fashion, but not in being able to communicate at all.

Using science we know how old the Earth is, how fare away from us the sun is,

And how does this relate to the Truth such as that of ignorance, craving, seeing, thinking, perception, feeling and so on?
When ancient man looked up to the sky and saw what was conceived of as the sun and because he lacked a particular set of knowledge, proliferated into ideas about sun-god and so on, or that of the earth being the center of the universe etc. Is this what science "saved" us from and you consider worthy of gratitude?

Science is just a way of observation and thinking about the object of one's experiences, which no doubt is useful in terms of predicting certain events in the conventional world and creating new things in order to serve man's desire for security and comfort. But does it touch upon the Truth even one iota, absolutely not. The man of science is as ignorant of mental and physical phenomena which make up our lives as is the man who refer to sun-god and rain-god etc. In proving wrong the latter, it has only given us a set of concepts to work with in conventional living, but nothing for the development of wisdom which knows the Truth.

Indeed, while the world view of ancient man can be seen as wrong even in the eyes of someone with no scientific background, science in being more logical and founded on premises that can't easily be refuted, is to that extent much more misleading. For those who have never made the reality and concept distinction, science impresses as being one means by which the Truth can be arrived at.

your house has energy so that you can clean and cook, you have a TV I assume, a radio, a computer, perhaps a car. All of this comes from Science, it is a great tool for us.

Science has offered me medicine and all that you have pointed out. But all this caters only to my desires, as it was the case with the fellow caveman showing me how to make a spear. Should I be more grateful to science than that caveman friend of mine? But here we are talking about that which points to the Truth, and science being incapable of doing this, should I then have any regard for it? It's a tool, perhaps, but for what, for getting what I desire, but not for attaining wisdom.

Indeed if it was not for Science I would not have discovered Sikhi.

Nah, this is just your particular story woven in hindsight. It is made up of images patched up together to form a particular script that you feel satisfied with. It is not based on any understanding about conditionality and the fact of experiences, some being resultant and some being cause. In other words, it is what ignorance and craving has spun out.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
And how does this relate to the Truth such as that of ignorance, craving, seeing, thinking, perception, feeling and so on?
When ancient man looked up to the sky and saw what was conceived of as the sun and because he lacked a particular set of knowledge, proliferated into ideas about sun-god and so on, or that of the earth being the center of the universe etc. Is this what science "saved" us from and you consider worthy of gratitude?

Umm this is a complex question. It assumes a lot.

You used the word truth, you did not prefix the word truth with spiritual truth and so I must assume by you use of the word you meant all truth, and did not wish to compartmentalise truth into say spirtual and temporal, yet your words here make me belive differantly. In short sir if you are talking purely about spirtual truth, then you should say so.

Taking that into account, then it is clear that science deals with scientific truth an so to answer your question, there is no relation.

Do I consider science as worthy of gratitude? Well yes of course, do you not?

Science is just a way of observation and thinking about the object of one's experiences, which no doubt is useful in terms of predicting certain events in the conventional world and creating new things in order to serve man's desire for security and comfort. But does it touch upon the Truth even one iota, absolutely not. The man of science is as ignorant of mental and physical phenomena which make up our lives as is the man who refer to sun-god and rain-god etc. In proving wrong the latter, it has only given us a set of concepts to work with in conventional living, but nothing for the development of wisdom which knows the Truth.

So now I assume here you must be talking about spirtual truth?

Science is that what you have described it as, but you make a mistake when you say it is 'just' this. It is far far far more, and effects all of our lives daily. So you claim that the brain specialist is ignorant of mental phenomena which makes up our lives?

Do you truely belive this to be so?

Science has offered me medicine and all that you have pointed out. But all this caters only to my desires, as it was the case with the fellow caveman showing me how to make a spear. Should I be more grateful to science than that caveman friend of mine? But here we are talking about that which points to the Truth, and science being incapable of doing this, should I then have any regard for it? It's a tool, perhaps, but for what, for getting what I desire, but not for attaining wisdom.

Again I must ask if you truely belive this? Science has not taught you anything, you have gained no knowledge because of science?

I note however that your spelling of English is sound, I assume that you can count also?

Have you got children? Have you taught them how to cross the road? If you have no wisdom from science why have you even bothered? You cannot know about forces, and speed nor the biology of a child.

Nah, this is just your particular story woven in hindsight. It is made up of images patched up together to form a particular script that you feel satisfied with. It is not based on any understanding about conditionality and the fact of experiences, some being resultant and some being cause. In other words, it is what ignorance and craving has spun out.

Heheh no my friend in this you are wrong.

I work in IT and have done so now for 20 odd years, I am well used to using the internet as a resource, and indeed when I decided I wanted to know about Sikhi, it wasthe internet that brought me into contact with real Sikhs, took me to Gurdwara and onto Sikh summer camp. All of which would not be here if we had no science. Although you choice of some of the words here, have me thinking that you may be a little deterministic, how does that sit with your Sikhi?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Confused ji and Lee ji as well,
Scientific truth and spiritual truth are both expressions of one could say the Ultimate Truth, the reality that underlies our sense perceptions.

As soon as we start talking about it, we have expressed it in one particular manner. We have chosen one perspective, and elaborated on that... but the Truth can never be elaborated in its totality. It is too vast and deep to captured by any particular field. When Science talks about it, it has expressed it in scientific terms. When an artist does a painting, he has expressed the Truth in artistic terms. When a seeker has a particular experience, he has experienced the Truth in spiritualistic terms. Science is just as close to the Truth as Art is, or Spirituality is. --> probably needs a new thread.

By 'terms' (as in scientific theories, artistic works, spiritual teachings), I also mean language. The language used is different, not what is expressed. They cover different aspects of the Truth. Or one could say they have expressed the Truth in those aspects.

Just as humans do. Confused ji has expressed the Truth and so has Lee ji. Jasleen ji and others as well.

When one says the Sun goes around the Earth, this is the same as saying the Earth goes around the Sun. They are two different reference points in the field of Truth. One takes the Sun to be the center, the other takes Earth. But neither is at the center of anything. To say center again implies taking on a particular reference point. There is only the universe, existence itself.

One finds that when one gives up the taking of reference points, one cannot speak of the Truth. But it's in this moment that we are in touch with it in its deepest sense.

The artist when he gazes deeply at an object, is in touch with the Truth. When he begins to paint, he has captured only a small "flesh" of the Truth. The way it looks, the way a fruit would taste or the majestic posture of the mountains. The artist captures this and when you look at his work, you see the Truth expressed there. You can almost taste the fruit or feel the cold air of the mountains. Science on the other hand, when it sees that object tries to solve out how it is the way it is. And in doing so it captures a small "bone" of the object, it's molecular structure. In terms of quantification, mostly. But realize that none of the fields that exist today, have the whole Truth. And yet they do, which is why we are attracted to them. ---> this is a whole discussion in itself (Spirituality is a little harder for me to go into at the moment. But similar idea is present there.)

This is what you guys have been doing as well. Expressing different aspects of the Truth. This is what everyone does.

Those who come to realize that everyone has the light of Truth 'noor' in them, come to have peace of mind. However, when we shine with that 'noor', it may not appear to the other to be 'noor' at all. Because the other knows it by a different name.

Arguments about what is a plant/animal. What is this, what is that, are of this nature. It is as if there is an elephant amongst us and one person grabs the trunk, another it's tail and both claim they have the elephant. You can only hold one limb at a tmie but every time you hold it, touch it you ARE holding, touching the elephant. What is the trunk? What is the tail? There is only the elephant.

Like the elephant appears as trunk or tail, it is in the nature of the Truth (waheguru, reality) to appear False (maya, perception of reality).

PS I hope I have not created yet another 'side' but brought everyone together.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Bhagatsinghji

Why is it that when there is a decent debate going on, where I can appreciate both sides of the argument, and there is a slight hint of tamasha, you have to ruin it!

You are indeed a most enlightened fellow and I enjoy the way you reduce complex arguments to simple basics.

The trouble is, when you post, I know I am going to have to read it several times before it makes sense, and even then not as much sense as the 8th or 9th.

But where does that leave us, everyone is right? everyone is wrong? everyone is right in their own way?

The truth is (haha) that the only way we will ever know for sure, the true truth is by asking a plant if it is in pain, and getting an answer back, otherwise, lets face it, any theory is possible, backed up by the right data.

I would like to point out that if only fools wrangle over flesh, then I am not sure of the correct terminology for one who wrangles over plants :interestedkudi:

Sat Sri Akal animatedkhanda1

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller ji just one comment,

I would like to point out that if only fools wrangle over flesh, then

I am not sure of the correct terminology for one who wrangles over plants
Fools who wrangle over what they don't fully understand peacesign
I will delete this post just penning thoughts between us.

Sat Sri Akal.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Lee ji,

I have just moved my response to you to a new thread titled : 'Truth and Concepts' in the Interfaith section. This is because our discussion has started to go on to a different topic from what is here.

Bhagat ji,

I do not have time at the moment to respond to your post, but will try to do so as soon as possible.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Just as humans do. Confused ji has expressed the Truth and so has Lee ji. Jasleen ji and others as well.

The artist when he gazes deeply at an object, is in touch with the Truth.

This is what you guys have been doing as well. Expressing different aspects of the Truth. This is what everyone does.

Bhagat ji,

Yes exactly I totaly agree with this. Miri Piri. Temproral and spirtual life, both are important and neither one nor the other shold be denied.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Bhagat Singh ji,
The earth going round the sun and the sun going round the earth are not the same! You cannot be serious! The truth is the earth travels around the sun-this is the truth and this is the fact that has proof. The earth being the centre was debunked a long time ago.

I believe plants are sentient beings albeit in a different way to animals, but our senses are not sensitive enough to perceive this. Confused ji insists that plants are not sentient and therefore their life does not matter. We cannot both be speaking the truth as these statements are opposites. I say plants and animals are equivalent, only humans are different. Confused continually keeps on disregarding this aspect of my posts and insists on comparing plants to humans to draw his conclusions. Who's telling the truth? How can you compare when Confused doggedly insists on using a different comparison to me?

Confused says eating meat and killing are 2 different things. I don't understand how you can separate them as they go hand in hand. Again only one of these ideas can be truth as the concepts are opposites.

If you are so keen on the truth please stop talking in riddles and try and relate to the real world. You posts are so abstract that they no longer make sense. Considering your previous writing, this is such a shame.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I believe plants are sentient beings albeit in a different way to animals, but our senses are not sensitive enough to perceive this.

I believe we are continuously sliding from the ridiculous to the sublime in some of the posts of late. Who believes that "the Creator" made any of us the classifiers of sentience? This is just human ego. Has someone talked to a hungry lion and asked if he thinks we are sentient? He will see anything which has meat in it as fair game. Survival of self before others is a fundamental trait in creation.

Or better still all of us smarty pants (including your truly :interestedmunda:) don't realize that in this universe, about which we know little (basically zero), there may be infinite other forms of intelligence that see us as not sentient at all.

Creator and creation has checks and balances. You feel hungry you go get food. If food does not want you to eat it, it will either poison you or make you sick or fight back to survive. Everything follows from that, whether it translates into eating habits, gluttony, obesity, diets, etc. Creation is not complex we make it so!

Sat Sri Akal.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Findingmyway ji,

I know that this is not addressed to me and I believe that you must be tired of having to respond to someone who appears to constantly miss your point and as you say, dodge the issue. But please allow me to clarify.

You said:

I believe plants are sentient beings albeit in a different way to animals, but our senses are not sensitive enough to perceive this. Confused ji insists that plants are not sentient and therefore their life does not matter.

To be more precise, that it would not constitute killing or hurting to uproot a tree or pluck a flower. As for other considerations, yes plants do matter, not only when thinking in terms of being potential food, but also when taking into account the environment.

I say plants and animals are equivalent, only humans are different. Confused continually keeps on disregarding this aspect of my posts and insists on comparing plants to humans to draw his conclusions. Who's telling the truth? How can you compare when Confused doggedly insists on using a different comparison to me?

Although I do not recall avoiding making the comparison between plants and animals, I understand that this is what you perceive. Perhaps this is because you have grouped plants and animals together whereas I group animals with human beings in the particular context. What do you think? If you wish you can go back and read some of those statements in which I've compared plants to humans and replace the latter with animals. I think my arguments would not change....?

Confused says eating meat and killing are 2 different things. I don't understand how you can separate them as they go hand in hand.

The reason that it appears to you to go hand in hand is because you are thinking in terms of "situations", where in order that one person gets to eat meat requires another person to have killed some animal. I on the other hand, focus on the state of mind, particularly that of "intention" in each individual. For you cause and effect exists within the realm of conventional world consisting of people and things where the action of one person is then seen as cause for the action of another. This to me is delusion. Because what I understand is that there exists particular kinds of mental realities some being of the nature of cause and some being resultant. And the causes and conditions which affect these can be seen within the experience of the moment itself and has nothing to do with what goes on in another stream of consciousness.

There is so much more to say and we can discuss this further if you like.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: