• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
JEEAAN KA AHAAR JEEA...declares GURBANI. ALL LIVING THINGS SURVIVE BY CONSUMING OTHER LIVING THINGS.

You are eating "my cow" screamed the Hindu....

"OH Yes..BUT your cow ate my grass" screamed back the Muslim....

and the GRASS grew on what ?? Earth made from Manure..made from the DEAD COW that the Hindu buried last year ???? Ha Ha

GURU NANAK JI took us by the finger..and climbed the highest Mt everest..so we could LOOK DOWN and get a Bird's eye view of everything...then He took us by the finger again..and took us to greater heights..Gagan mehn Thaal rav Chand sooraj..Universes, Black holes and Blazing exploding Quasars.........BUT we came back down..stood with our NOSES pressed against a six foot high WALL....and declared..AH...THIS is the whole UNIVERSE..the Almighty BRICK pressing on our nose is SO HUGE..we cant see anything else..IT Has to be the UNIVERSE !! WAH WAH WAHGURU !!....and GURU NANAK is just a tiny speck of a star billions of light years away....practically INVISIBLE compared to the HUGE BRICK 0.1 mm away from our nose....WAH WAH WAH WAHGURU.period.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Findingmyway ji,

Thanks for your response.

I find your comments confusing in this case and I do see a strong Buddhist way of thinking. Every form of life is naturally geared for survival-thats why all biological processes have evolved the way they have.

You appeal to the concepts of "form of life" and "Biological process" where both plants and animals are grouped under. This is the result of worldly education, particularly that of biological science and which we so readily carried over and applied to general observations in daily life. I of course have come to question this and begun to note certain things about them that make plants and animals so different to each other, that the concept of "life" has now a very different meaning.

A spinach plant or potato plant wants to survive as much as a cow or dog or human. Just because humans do not have the capacity to perceive this with their own senses does not make it untrue and I think it is a very egotistical attitude to take – similar to the attitude of Romans who thought the Earth was the centre of the universe.

And just because you say that plants are the same as animals does not make it true. ;-) And you are clearly projecting attributes that are human onto plants.

Do you really think that a spinach plant has "desire"? And yes, we humans have the capacity to "perceive", and "be conscious", and "feel", and "think", which lead us to all having so many different inclinations, for example, to greed, to aversion, to kindness, to wisdom, to ignorance, to compassion, to jealousy, to miserliness, to faith etc. It is these and other such mental attributes which distinguish sentient beings (which include animals and humans) from plants, is it not?

And should such kind of distinction lead to an egotistical attitude? In breaking the "human" into being nothing more than a confluence of "elements", rather I think, that this leads to not having pride in being who we are. Indeed in this thread I've argued against human-centric attitudes and also encouraging more consideration for animals, have I not...?

Killing is killing whether it is a plant or animal, and is unavoidable in life. I don't see the difference in killing a plant and an animal as I am not bigheaded enough to limit my understanding of the world to my own senses……..

It is good to keep in mind that we are limited by what we can perceive through the senses. This helps to not think that what we "experience" and think about, decides what actually exists and doesn't exists. But for an act to constitute "killing" according to my understanding, the following factors must be in place:

1. There is life
2. There is knowledge of life
3. There is intention to kill
4. There is effort to kill
5. There is consequent death

As you can now see, according to me, unlike animals and humans which are breathing creatures, plants are not living beings. So I wouldn't say that in plucking an apple out of a tree, I unavoidably am engaged in killing. On the other hand if I am lost in a forest and end up killing some small creature for food, I will not however feel justified in doing this but instead admit to being so much attached to dear life and to committing an evil act.

and this is how Gurbani sees things too (as detailed earlier in the thread).

And I'll be happy to make this my last response if this is what you insist on. ;-)

Animal products (often byproduct from meat industry but not always) appear in the most unlikeliest places including our clothes, shoes, soaps, shampoos, cleaning products, hardback books, sports gear, cars, firefighting equipment, medical equipment and a thousand other things (including alcoholic drinks!).

The products are products; they are there for anyone to use or not use. I do not see any need to be concerned about what and where the different parts came from because this does nothing to change people's attitudes towards killing / not killing. If I know that some product had animal parts in it, I'd buy and use it if I think that it is of better quality than another one which does not have any animal parts. However, if no such product is available, I'd be happy with whatever is. I will not insist on having only the one whereby indirectly asking someone to kill in order that I have my preferred item.

Sometimes these products are safer for the environment and for people than the synthetic alternatives. Indirectly the synthetic alternatives kill more life. So if you promote not killing on moral grounds then you should not be using any of these products either.

No, I'd be proliferating and doing just what you fear, namely making myself the center of the universe. Instead, my attention is drawn rightly to the only reasonable reference point, namely my own mind and the actions through speech and body coming from this.

Man in trying to patch up his own mistakes will forever be involved in a losing battle. This is because he does not know that ignorance and greed is the cause of all the problems in the world and so will be caught up in the exact same mechanism in trying to fix things.

Your stance on not killing yourself but not having problems with meat if it has already been killed confuses me as it seems a selfish way to behave showing concern for your own actions only (and hence attachment to self).

This is a common mis-perception. In turning the attention to one's own actions is akin to wearing sandals instead of trying to cover the earth with leather. This is the result of an understanding which includes seeing that all our concern for the other, because of this very lack of understanding about one's own mind, is more often than not, in fact aimed at serving one's own attachments to ideals. And idealism has been compared to a {censored}, a symbol of stupidity.

Indeed it is because we lack understanding about our motives, that all our actions causes more problems than any good. Our minds are scattered and we get caught up in a struggle to do good deeds. We are never sure of our actions and often feel guilty and then try again to do things in order to set things right. And we have no clue when what otherwise is seen in other people as clearly wrong, is motivating our own deeds.

On the other hand, when we begin to pay attention to the "now", which must in the end be our own experience in the moment, we gradually become freed from such kind of senseless activities. This then opens the way for good qualities such as kindness, compassion, morality, giving etc. to manifest and grow. So is it not then that in fact, the self-centered activity is in the case of those people who do not take into account the state of their own minds, whereas those you judge as being so, is actually encouraging of real concern for other beings?

Besides, in my separating the issue of eating meat from that of killing, what is being done is putting the spotlight on what should be considered, instead of being murky and caught up in wrong ways of thinking about things. Killing is killing and we need to avoid confusing the issue by tying this up with the fact of eating / not eating meat. How can morality grow if we interpret actions that have nothing to do with morality and think that it does?

Understanding is understanding, it is not attachment to self, but in fact a process of detachment. It is when there is no understanding but instead an involvement in the "world", that attachment to self manifests and thrives.

If you were not consuming there would be no need for the killing to occur in the 1st place to it is an indirect way of supporting the action. Forgive my directness but your posts make no sense to me or maybe I've misunderstood.

The only way to encourage other people not to kill is to address the problem directly.

If I were at a fish seller where they killed the fish when someone orders, I'd not buy from there. This may or may not indicate to the seller that I have issues with killing but not to eating meat. If I cared about his wellbeing and saw signs that he'd listen, perhaps I'd start a conversation with him about the matter. But if I simply avoid buying meat from the supermarket or even a butcher, how is the message going to get to anyone that killing is wrong? To think along the lines that enough number of people stop eating meat is going to stop killing is not an expression of any real concern, but a self-centered activity. And the act of avoiding buying and eating meat not only will not get the right message across, but in fact likely cause derision to arise in the other person. After all you'd likely come across as not having his interests in mind, but only to your own ideas. It is like someone trying to make a statement by wearing a T-shirt with a slogan and willfully unconcerned about what other people think.

But even if the whole world did stop buying meat, this may stop killing from happening because there is no market. But does this in anyway address the fact of each person's inherent tendency to attachment and aversion which is the root of the problem? Would not the tendency to kill be fully intact and readily manifest when the market opens / outside circumstances change?

The only way I can help anyone is to first be clear in my own thinking about such issues. If I confuse and muddle matters, wouldn't I in fact cause for confusion in others as well?

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I have a few comments:
1) I am not giving plants human characteristics but accepting that they have a different form of life which is no less important than that of a dog or cow. Just because you can see human characteristics in animals, in their personalities you rate their life higher and deny the spinach plant having life at all!!!! You do preach against being egocentric but this is exactly what this attitude is. How do you classify carnivorous plants such as the venus fly trap? How can you deny anything life? The desire to live is demonstrated by behaviour. Who knows what our senses are missing!
2) It is wrong to ignore science and judge the world based only on experience. Humans don't even have the best senses in the animal kingdom so why should the world be based on our senses? Because we can communicate and make decisions? Again very egotistical.
3) A also find your assertion of the meat in a supermarket being diferent from the meat from a butcher direct hypocritical.
Our understanding will not align here quite clearly so I do no think it fruitful to continue this dialogue further.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I think what will simplify this problem is if we figured out who knows the Truth and listen to that person.

So if I may...

Jasleen ji,
When you go deep inside yourself, do you think you know the Truth?

Confused ji,

My guess is that you both will say that you know the Truth. (but correct me if I am wrong, I maybe wrong.)

Then if both of you know the Truth, what is the meaning of calling each other false?

If I could understand this, I think I would understand "Fools who wrangle over flesh" better, which is what the thread is about. So help me out here guys.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
I think what will simplify this problem is if we figured out who knows the Truth and listen to that person.

So if I may...

Jasleen ji,

Confused ji,

My guess is that you both will say that you know the Truth. (but correct me if I am wrong, I maybe wrong.)

Then if both of you know the Truth, what is the meaning of calling each other false?

If I could understand this, I think I would understand "Fools who wrangle over flesh" better, which is what the thread is about. So help me out here guys.

Hahah Bhagat ji,

Wise words indeed!

I know next to nothing, I mean of course I think I know quite a lot and in truth I guess I do, but this is mostly subjective knowledge.

There is only one objective truth that I can be certian of and it is this:

Ik onkar!

There is soooooooo much knowledge in these few words, so much so that God caused to be created 1400 or so other pages of Guru ji to explain this.

My take and yes I belive there is some truth in it is this.

God has made the world so that most things kill to survive.
We humans have teeth that tear flesh and vegatable matter and our digestion is such that it copes with both.

There is no problem then eating meat, although perhaps as one gets closer to God, becomes more and more Gurmukh the desire for meat lessens, yes I think there is some truth in this.

So fools who wrangle over flesh are indeed foolish, as a human on the path to Gurmukh soon discoveres that they have stopped eating meat.

You see what I'm saying here? It is indeed foolish to argue thusly, as a consequense of walking the path of Sikhi means that meat becomes less desirable for you.

Do those enlightned souls wrangle over eating flesh? If so then perhaps they are not as enlightend as they thought?

So then those in the 'do not eat meat' camp, are they ridiculeing those who are less enlightned? Is this the Sikh way?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Problems are when people tell others what to do rather than describe what they do!

Equivalently problems are when people justify their actions or wisdom higher than others.

We all have similar computers in our heads some keep them busy in small stuff, some on big stuff and some decide to not use these a lot. Each has a reason but no one has a higher purpose as of such.

The following gentleman perhaps has lot to teach us with simplicity and heart/soul in his voice while the sound seems to come from his soul,

‪sufiana kalam, faqeer, Allah wala, Sialkot, Sain‬‏ - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Findingmyway ji,

You may not wish to continue with this discussion, but I do not like to be misrepresented.

I have a few comments:
1) I am not giving plants human characteristics but accepting that they have a different form of life which is no less important than that of a dog or cow.

You had said:
"A spinach plant or potato plant *wants* to survive as much as a cow or dog or human."

And I asked you:
"Do you really think that a spinach plant has "desire"?"

So according to you "wanting" is a mental reality which plants also have? And you know this, how?
And please take care not to bring the idea of something being less or more important into the picture. I wasn't thinking in these terms at all, and have no need to.

Just because you can see human characteristics in animals, in their personalities you rate their life higher and deny the spinach plant having life at all!!!!

And what have you observed that makes you think that plants and animals are on the same level? Or are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?
And btw, it is not "human" characteristics that I use as deciding factor whether something has "life" or not. Indeed it is from considering such things as consciousness, perception, feeling and characteristic traits as conditioned mental realities separate from any association with "human", that I conclude that these are marks of sentience and then use as reference point for judging what in fact is living and what is not.

And again, I am not thinking in terms of higher or lower at all. Why should I even think to compare plants with animals in this particular context given that plants are not sentient beings to begin with?

You do preach against being egocentric but this is exactly what this attitude is.

So you are saying that it is alright for a Sikh to proclaim that human beings are highest and therefore he has the right to kill any animal in order that he can continue to live, but when someone else points out the fact of difference in the capacity to develop moral and other mental qualities between an animal and a human, he is being egoistical?

Well haven't all my arguments been to show that animals deserve consideration as much as human beings? And if I do state that the human being is higher, this is nothing to be proud of, as it is only the result of one particular karma arisen just before the death of the previous life (and btw, I've heard a well know Sikh teacher express more or less the same idea as well). The attitude that comes from this kind of understanding is that, it is so very hard to be born a human and so easy as some kind of animal. Is this a basis for being egoistical or in fact just the opposite?

So if I do not think to group plants with animals and human beings, why must you think that this will condition pride?

How do you classify carnivorous plants such as the venus fly trap?

I have seen a close-up in a documentary on Blu-ray. What I observed is that the fly can be on the surface of the venus fly trap for quite a long time and nothing happens. It is only when one of its legs touches particular sensors that the lips (?) of the fly trap close. There was absolutely no sign of any kind of "knowing" on the part of the fly trap. Like so many other plants, I believe that such things come down to being just the action of material phenomena, like chemical reactions.

How can you deny anything life? The desire to live is demonstrated by behaviour. Who knows what our senses are missing!

Human beings so readily project onto everything else their own reactions to sense perceptions. As I said above, my judgement is in part the result taking into consideration the different mental phenomena without a need to associate these with the idea of "human". But I wonder if you are not projecting when you say, "The desire to live is demonstrated by behaviour"? What is your reference point when you say this?

2) It is wrong to ignore science and judge the world based only on experience.

If by experience you mean what I have perceived and concluded in the past, I am not judging from this at all. What I state is the result of studying the Buddha's teachings and understanding it as applied to my own experiences "now" and not some past memory or some such. What I do know about the senses in fact, is that these experience only 7 of the total of 28 physical phenomena. I also take it that not all mental realities can be known through the mind even by some enlightened individuals. It is not really therefore about "experience", but understanding and its development beginning with the intellectual level. And it is at this level that I make the most important distinction, namely that of reality vs. concept. It is this which has led me to conclude that science has not made any statement about reality ever, and will never do so. And if you are interested, we can discuss this in an old thread that I initiated sometime back in the Buddhism section....?

Humans don't even have the best senses in the animal kingdom so why should the world be based on our senses?

It is not about being able to see or hear above or below a particular range of light and sound waves. It is not about having an electronic microscope or a powerful telescope to see what the naked eye can't. The Truth that I refer to is here and now and we all experience it!!!

To illustrate, three scientists, one looking down a microscope, one up a telescope and one at a chart. For all three are the experiences through the eye, of seeing experiencing the reality of visible object, and of thinking experiencing concepts. Also associated with these there would be the realities of feeling, perception, attention, concentration, attachment, ignorance and so on. It is these that all of them would do well to have direct understanding of, but instead because of ignorance and craving, it is microscopic particles, celestial objects and mathematical data that are taken seriously as pointing to the truth. But the fact is that these are in fact only concepts based on memory and thinking which do not have any intrinsic nature.

So again, it is not about experiences but understanding, and this does not depend on where we are or what we are doing. The Buddha for example insighted into the nature of physical phenomena such that the concept of fundamental particles more basic than quarks or anything science has come upon was referred to without the need for any microscope or mathematical data. Likewise he talked about world systems and the birth and death (metaphorically speaking) of stars without the need to look up to the sky.

Concepts are inconsequential when it comes to understanding of the Truth. Only with the arising of the mental factor of "wisdom" is the Truth known to any extent, and the object of such wisdom is characteristic of realities. Failing this we remain lost in the ocean of concepts and continue to be deluded.

Because we can communicate and make decisions? Again very egotistical.

Not because this happens, but coming to understand that which makes this happen amongst other things.
But even if I were wrong about this, how does this make it egotistical? If I am highlighting understanding and taking this to be all important, and which would no doubt imply that animals do not have such capacity, why draw the particular conclusion from this? And again I'd like to ask why no objection when a Sikh insists on the superiority of humans at the expense of all other living creatures, but when I point simply to the difference and not think that I have the right to kill them, you consider this egoistical?

Ego is when one compares oneself with someone else as higher, lower or same, which is not what I was doing. To state that a human is superior does not imply that "I" feel superior because I am a human being. And I wasn't making the particular distinction to justify courses of action aimed at my own interest, unlike some people here who want to be able to kill animals and not be blamed for it and therefore have recourse to the particular theories that they hold and hide behind.

3) A also find your assertion of the meat in a supermarket being diferent from the meat from a butcher direct hypocritical.

I don't think all butchers kill, so it is not the general butcher that I was referring to, but the particular ones which would kill just for me when I make an order. This is equivalent to my ordering the killing. That which is available in the supermarket is only meat, which is something that is there regardless of whether I buy it or not. So these two are very different situations hence not hypocritical of me to choose one and not the other.

But what do you think about this particular attitude, "not wanting to be killed but feeling justified in killing other creatures", does this not appear hypocritical to you?

Our understanding will not align here quite clearly so I do no think it fruitful to continue this dialogue further.

One thing we agree on at least. ;-)

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Much of what you are saying is purely semantics. The processes shown by a plant is indicative of its 'desire' to survive. All biological processes have developed to survive whether that be respiration or photosynthesis, growth and reproduction in all its forms, movement in all its forms whether vertical or longitudinal. The word desire can have a very broad meaning.

Humans are separate to all other life forms due to our consciousness. Saying animals are on the same plane but plants are not worthy of that status is the egotistical attitude and arises from the oevr reliance on our senses-we can see and experience animal life more easily, we can hear animal screams more easily so this leads to the premise that animals are more important.

All of life is just chemical reactions! Our ability to see is due to dozens of reactions, our ability todigest food is a load of chemical reactions etc. Research shows that plants react to a lot more in the environment than we realise. Assuming a plant cannot sense just because we are unable to perceive it is the egotistical attitude.

As far as the difference between supermarket meat and butcher meat goes, the distinction drawn between them still seems a little selfish and immature to me as if there was no demand the supermarkets would not stock meat. By buying supermarket meat or products containing meat related products, one is still supporting the killing-allowing and encouraging it to happen. Market forces dictate only those things will be prodiced that can sell!! To ignore this is living in a cocoon world.

BhagatSingh, no I do not know the whole truth-I never can as I am merely human. I will never have such a high opinion of myself. However, I strongly believe that the SGGS tells me the truth. As much as I respect the Buddha's words or any other wise person, it comes down to the Guru's words being my guide as that means more to me than anything else as it makes more sense to me than anything else. My Guru tells me that abstainign from meat alone will not make me more spiritual. My Guru tells me there is life in everything and this matches with what I know as a scientist so I feel pain in seeing cut flowers merely for decoration as it seems a waste of life. When being eaten, at least that life had meaning. My Guru's words and guidance are enough for me to accept diet is individual choice. My Guru tells me not to take the high road based on diet and therefore I refuse to accept a higher morality in vegetaranism alone. My Guru tells me the truth, not me. That is the point of this thread.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Much of what you are saying is purely semantics. The processes shown by a plant is indicative of its 'desire' to survive. All biological processes have developed to survive whether that be respiration or photosynthesis, growth and reproduction in all its forms, movement in all its forms whether vertical or longitudinal. The word desire can have a very broad meaning.

Humans are separate to all other life forms due to our consciousness. Saying animals are on the same plane but plants are not worthy of that status is the egotistical attitude and arises from the oevr reliance on our senses-we can see and experience animal life more easily, we can hear animal screams more easily so this leads to the premise that animals are more important.

All of life is just chemical reactions! Our ability to see is due to dozens of reactions, our ability todigest food is a load of chemical reactions etc. Research shows that plants react to a lot more in the environment than we realise. Assuming a plant cannot sense just because we are unable to perceive it is the egotistical attitude.

As far as the difference between supermarket meat and butcher meat goes, the distinction drawn between them still seems a little selfish and immature to me as if there was no demand the supermarkets would not stock meat. By buying supermarket meat or products containing meat related products, one is still supporting the killing-allowing and encouraging it to happen. Market forces dictate only those things will be prodiced that can sell!! To ignore this is living in a cocoon world.

BhagatSingh, no I do not know the whole truth-I never can as I am merely human. I will never have such a high opinion of myself. However, I strongly believe that the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tells me the truth. As much as I respect the Buddha's words or any other wise person, it comes down to the Guru's words being my guide as that means more to me than anything else as it makes more sense to me than anything else. My Guru tells me that abstainign from meat alone will not make me more spiritual. My Guru tells me there is life in everything and this matches with what I know as a scientist so I feel pain in seeing cut flowers merely for decoration as it seems a waste of life. When being eaten, at least that life had meaning. My Guru's words and guidance are enough for me to accept diet is individual choice. My Guru tells me not to take the high road based on diet and therefore I refuse to accept a higher morality in vegetaranism alone. My Guru tells me the truth, not me. That is the point of this thread.
Findingmyway ji there is nothing wrong with your beliefs. I saved plants where someone else would let them die for winter in Canada.

Your logic has several failings and goes down to "What the creator" and associated "Creation does".

Esxamples:

• Big fish eat small fish
  • Lions eat Zebras
  • Hyenas eat zebras
  • Weeds destroy grass
  • Aphids destroy roses
  • Ladybugs eat Aphids
At every situation there is a possible hurt. You are the last enemy as for vegetative and other life is concerned. Creation has set rules for the circle of life. By possibly violating the rules you perhaps are bad in creator's eyes (let us say "Good" bad mundahug).

From dust to much back to dust and back to much and so on ...........

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
One of the ways, only one of several, where the thread takes off on into a blind alley, instead of open highway. First query: Why do we conflate "pain" with "suffering?" Are they really the same thing? Second query: Is suffering optional and reserved for only those sentient beings who have the ability to observe and evaluate their pain, and later to call it suffering?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
One of the ways, only one of several, where the thread takes off on into a blind alley, instead of open highway. First query: Why do we conflate "pain" with "suffering?" Are they really the same thing? Second query: Is suffering optional and reserved for only those sentient beings who have the ability to observe and evaluate their pain, and later to call it suffering?

Pain and suffering are offten equated, yet it is not always true that pain is suffering.

When I was little I went down a wooden slide and managed to get a massive splinter in my butt cheeck. My father having me bare {censored}d over his lap whilst getting rid of the splinter is a memory that will be forever with me. That pain was incredible, but my father was doing it to relive my suffering. Is giving birth suffering?

Suffering too comes in many forms, do the undereducated suffer?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Lee ji

We are resonating. Do plants suffer? If they do, what is our ethical obligation to them when we kill them for food? Does coal suffer? If it does, what is our ethical obligation when we use it for electricity generation?

What is the difference between pain and suffering? Is any special awareness or evolutionary level of brain functioning required before suffering rears its ugly head?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji

We are resonating. Do plants suffer? If they do, what is our ethical obligation to them when we kill them for food? Does coal suffer? If it does, what is our ethical obligation when we use it for electricity generation?

What is the difference between pain and suffering? Is any special awareness or evolutionary level of brain functioning required before suffering rears its ugly head?

Good questions all.

Do plants suffer? Well plants are alive I guess we cannot doubt that, but suffering means a certian level of sentiance does it not?

My childhood was not a good one, as I grew though I had no comprehension of how badly treated I was. I had thought my experiances normal and in line with every other child. It was only when I reached a certian age and had experianced the way other children grew up that i realised how bad my childhood had been.

So did I suffer as child? Well yes and no. When I was a child I had no idea that I was indeed suffering, only when I was out of that situation did hindsigth kick in.

So suffering is consequnces of self knowledge. No self knowldege no suffering, so although I of course cannot say for sure, I do not belive that plants suffer.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Page 143 of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

mehlaa 1.
vaykh je mithaa kati-aa kat kut baDhaa paa-ay.
khundhaa andar rakh kai dayn so mal sajaa-ay.
ras kas tatar paa-ee-ai tapai tai villaa-ay.
bhee so fog samaalee-ai dichai ag jaalaa-ay.
naanak mithai patree-ai vaykhhu lokaa aa-ay.

First Mehl:
Look, and see how the sugar-cane is cut down. After cutting away its branches, its feet are bound together into bundles, and then, it is placed between the wooden rollers and crushed.
What punishment is inflicted upon it! Its juice is extracted and placed in the cauldron; as it is heated, it groans and cries out.
And then, the crushed cane is collected and burnt in the fire below.
Nanak: come, people, and see how the sweet sugar-cane is treated!
Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Findingmyway ji there is nothing wrong with your beliefs. I saved plants where someone else would let them die for winter in Canada.

Your logic has several failings and goes down to "What the creator" and associated "Creation does".

Esxamples:

• Big fish eat small fish
  • Lions eat Zebras
  • Hyenas eat zebras
  • Weeds destroy grass
  • Aphids destroy roses
  • Ladybugs eat Aphids
At every situation there is a possible hurt. You are the last enemy as for vegetative and other life is concerned. Creation has set rules for the circle of life. By possibly violating the rules you perhaps are bad in creator's eyes (let us say "Good" bad mundahug).

From dust to much back to dust and back to much and so on ...........

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria ji,
You have not pointed out a failing in my logic but simply validated it. It is impossible to avoid inflciting pain, suffering and killing due to the nature of the circle of life. Therefore, using vegetarianism as a higer moral ground and saying it is the way forwards not to cause pain is a fallacy. Vegetarianism alone does not promote morality. Vegetarians are no more empathetic than meat eaters are any worse or more immoral. That is the point.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Page 143 of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

mehlaa 1.
vaykh je mithaa kati-aa kat kut baDhaa paa-ay.
khundhaa andar rakh kai dayn so mal sajaa-ay.
ras kas tatar paa-ee-ai tapai tai villaa-ay.
bhee so fog samaalee-ai dichai ag jaalaa-ay.
naanak mithai patree-ai vaykhhu lokaa aa-ay.

First Mehl:
Look, and see how the sugar-cane is cut down. After cutting away its branches, its feet are bound together into bundles, and then, it is placed between the wooden rollers and crushed.
What punishment is inflicted upon it! Its juice is extracted and placed in the cauldron; as it is heated, it groans and cries out.
And then, the crushed cane is collected and burnt in the fire below.
Nanak: come, people, and see how the sweet sugar-cane is treated!
Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji

Nearly everyone..Buddhist to a kindergarten kid can see a "Goat" suffering/bleating/struggling/groaning/pleading/bleeding/whatever.......

BUT ONLY GURU NANAK JI could see the SUGAR CANE !!!

MILLIONS were sending water to their ancestors in the SUN...
BUT ONLY Guur nanak Ji saw that this was NOT what it looked like...

ONLY GURU NANAK JI had the COMPLETE BIRDS EYE VIEW of things..and whats more even MODERN SCIENCE has nothing to say against it....cannot refute it an iota....

WE are the luckiest persons on Earth that GURU NANAK JI GAVE us a LEG UP on this and simialr "problems"....confusions..
LETS follow our GURU..and leave the rest to flounder and sink in thier own self made quick sands of confusion..wanderings...short-sightedness...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry findingmyway ji I perhaps went on extended tangent based on the following line in your post,

…… so I feel pain in seeing cut flowers merely for decoration as it seems a waste of life. When being eaten, at least that life had meaning.

Are you saying beautiful cut flowers do nothing for living humans in terms of chemical positive reactions for most! I know I like them give fragrance in the house versus using chemical sprays. This is uplifting.

Sat Sri Akal

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Sorry findingmyway ji I perhaps went on extended tangent based on the following line in your post,

Sat Sri Akal[/quote]

ambarsariah ji..
true..
BUT all those garlands sent to funeral homes during wakes...and to weddings etc are more for decoration/obligation more than fragrance...those are a WASTE...similar to having tiger/bear skin rugs in the living room....or elephnat tusks ...12 singeh heads on walls...

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Findingmyway ji,

Much of what you are saying is purely semantics.

Not semantics, but seeing difference in terms of characteristic, function, manifestation and proximate cause between two very different phenomena.

If plants had desire, there would also be clinging and taking things as me and mine. Also there would be aversion when that which is desired is unavailable or fades away or some undesirable object comes into contact. Furthermore, desire never stops at one object, but forever seeks new experiences as can easily be seen in one's own experience and inferred from observing the behaviours of animals and other humans but not that of plants.

And if you have really considered the nature of desire, you'd understand what it means when it is said that desire leads to being born in order to experience pleasant and unpleasant objects through the different senses. From this it can be deduced that if plants also had desire and sentience, their very nature contradicts this particular aspect of desire. In other words given the nature of desire, this could never result in what we know plants to be.

Furthermore, plants are totally dependent on the environment (and man's desire ;-)) to thrive, but an animal can move around to change its particular circumstance. And this reflects yet another reality namely 'will' or 'intention', which you'd not think plants to possess, or do you?

But you say:

The processes shown by a plant is indicative of its 'desire' to survive. All biological processes have developed to survive whether that be respiration or photosynthesis, growth and reproduction in all its forms, movement in all its forms whether vertical or longitudinal. The word desire can have a very broad meaning.

Broad meaning if you wish to use it metaphorically, but as I said, my reference point is actual characteristic, functions etc. of a particular kind of "reality". So when you say that plants respire, I don't think that you'd be talking about the same reality that which is behind "breathing" in the case of animals. When you talk about photosynthesis, again this would not be something that is associated with any mental phenomena. Growth, yes, humans grow too, but this *is* in fact physical phenomena. Reproduction; let us not be fooled by this concept just because science uses it indiscriminately with regard to both plants and animals. Firstly, no doubt this requires the coming together of two different kinds of matter, but that's where the similarity between plants and animals stops. In the case of humans, birth happens at the point of conception and involves the arising of a mental phenomenon, namely birth consciousness, which is immediately followed by a never ending chain of other kinds of consciousness to constitute "life". This does not happen in the case of plants where all that really happens is change of physical phenomena. And movement, are you referring to such things as the sunflower turning to face the sun and the creeper crawling up the wall? Do you really believe these to be the same as say a spider spinning a web and then waiting for a fly to get caught in it?

Humans are separate to all other life forms due to our consciousness. Saying animals are on the same plane but plants are not worthy of that status is the egotistical attitude…….

I don't understand this. You say that humans are distinguished from other forms of life *due to consciousness*, but then go on to deny that this also distinguishes other animals from plants? Please explain.

And again, you refer to egoistical attitude. But conceit like attachment, is also a reality with a particular characteristic, function and cause. We can discuss this if you like and then see whether what you say is true. As of now however it appears as though you are only throwing the particular label at me. I don't see how it can be conceit if my perception is that plants are not living beings. In other words, why would I want to compare myself with plants? Perhaps it is because you are convinced that plants are living beings and that I am willfully denying this, and that this is because I'd like to feel superior? In any case, do you not see this as quite unnecessary to factor into the discussion?

I mean, I too could say things such as that, you are denying the truth of what I am saying because to accept it would be to put the whole idea about God to question. Indeed I could also suggest that the belief in God is the ultimate form of self-identification whereby someone can feel equal, as well as inferior and superior, all at the same time and thereby encouraging conceit. But would doing this be helpful?

Instead of concluding that it is a result of 'over reliance of the senses', you could think instead, that it is from *understanding* the senses and mind that the conclusions are drawn.

Understanding the senses would mean automatically, that one knows exactly its limitations. But this would be due to the mental reality of "wisdom" which than takes on the position of the 'leader'. Would you now think to question wisdom as well and perhaps that this is also "limited"? If so, pray tell, by virtue of which mental faculty you would know that!!?

All of life is just chemical reactions! Our ability to see is due to dozens of reactions, our ability to digest food is a load of chemical reactions etc.

And if you are implying further, that consciousness is the result of chemical reaction in the brain, know that this is a materialistic view coming to the fore, one which clearly reflects the influence of science on one's world view.

It is understandable that science would arrive at such kind of conclusion, given that it at no point studied mental phenomena as it arises and manifests. From beginning to end it is involved only in "concepts", which means that even physical phenomena has never been touched upon. It works only with shadows and is like the seven blind men holding the different parts of the elephant who will never ever come to know what the elephant really looks like.

For someone who has taken the step in the direction of studying mind as it arises to experience an object, it will be understood that the conditions for the arising of mind are not how the scientific materialist thinks. He'd know amongst other things that greed for example, arises immediately following the experience of particular objects, not because some chemical reaction took place somewhere in the brain, but clearly because of the nature of greed itself. He'd know also that the tendency to this goes back to the past and accumulates every time that it arises such that it will arise again in the future when the conditions are right.

If you are suggesting that in fact one of the conditions for attachment must be some chemical reaction in the brain, know that the speed at which attachment arises and performs its function and falls away is much, much faster than for example, the taste that is experienced. And taste itself is a material reality so fleeting that in one second, there are countless instances of this. Where then is there room for the idea of chemical reaction being cause for sentience, let alone originating in the brain!!? That you think this appears to be is because you are caught up in the world of concepts and have no clue about reality / Truth.

That you even conceive of the idea of 'chemical reaction' requires trillions of mind moments including, seeing and thinking to perform their functions before even a sense of something going on, not to mention what it takes for the concept to form.

From one perspective it actually sounds very silly that that by which one knows anything at all, namely consciousness, is judged as being a by-product of its own creation, namely concept. Wisdom on the other hand will actually come in from the other direction and see the urgency to study consciousness itself and not be drawn by ideas conceived of by ignorance.

Science can be excused for falling back on a materialist view. However for someone who has expressed an interest in a religion where it is taught that mental states such as greed, aversion, ego etc. are to be overcome and that good qualities are to be developed, to still think that these come down to mere chemical reactions, is a shame. Has it by any chance been suggested in Sikh teachings that if one somehow caused a change in chemical process in the brain, that this then could lead to the unwanted qualities to be replaced by the good ones? Would you think perhaps that science could one day come up with the "enlightenment pill" or something? Ridiculous is't it to follow that line of thought?

Research shows that plants react to a lot more in the environment than we realise. Assuming a plant cannot sense just because we are unable to perceive it is the egotistical attitude.

If it were ego that is the driving force, what would stop me from going on to talk about how superior humans are to animals, for which I'm sure I'd get approval from several members here given so much pride in stating how superior human beings are? And don't forget that my conclusion regarding plants not being sentient does not come from the kind of observation that you are suggesting, but more than that.

Sure if no one buys meat, no one would stock them for sale and that would automatically mean less killing. But has the tendency to kill been addressed or is this mainly about economics? And with regard to those who simply don't buy, do they really see the harm of killing or is there some other motivating factor?

My attempt at separating the issue of eating meat from killing has been to encourage focusing rightly on what really constitutes an immoral act. Eating is eating and is attachment of course but harmless, however killing is killing no matter what reason we give ourselves. To mix the two is to take the attention away from what should be considered on to what is in fact the result of a proliferation of view. How can morality grow if one mistakes what is simply an act of ordinary attachment and think this to be an evil act. Indeed to do so must be the result of the worse of evil acts, namely wrong understanding. After all to mistake what is not evil for evil likely leads to also taking what *is* evil for not being so! And this is exactly what has happened here as when you and others come out and give justification for killing animals!!

So really, when I buy meat from the supermarket but at the same time do not condone killing, and you do not buy meat but think it is alright to kill for food, it is really you who is encouraging killing.

And the effect of wrong understanding does not stop here. In taking your decision of not buying meat as effecting the larger population can only come from having put yourself at the center of action, and this is arrogance and conceit. After all, you do not even see any need to go up to some individual and talk sense into him, yet you believe that your 'silent protest' is going to cause a ripple effect. Indeed this is all a game that you are playing with yourself, one foot is on the side where you like to think that you are doing a good deed, and the other is on the side where you protect a cherished set of beliefs. Is this not hypocrisy?

And let us talk now a bit about what constitutes a cocoon world.
But first, what is the "world"?
Because there is only one moment of consciousness through one of the five senses and the mind at a time, the world must come down to what it is that is arising and manifesting *now*. If there is hearing; it is the world of hearing, if it is thinking; it is the world of thinking. These are ephemeral and their nature is to disintegrate and fall away. And so the world must actually come down to being 'that which is of the nature to disintegrate' or in Buddhist terms, that which is "dukkha".

That we conceive of the conventional world populated with people, animals, plants and things, this is the result of the thinking process and based on memory gathered from the experience of one or more of the five senses. This is natural and even necessary; else we wouldn't be able to function at all. However the problem comes when we take such perceptions as representing "reality", which would then make them appear to last in time, have individual existence and being inherently desirable. And this goes against the truth of impermanence, suffering and non-self.

It is this that I consider the process of building a cocoon around oneself, which I must admit to doing as well from time to time. But this is not what goes on when I insist on separating the issue of eating meat and that of killing. After all, the direction taken is one which leads to considering the 'one moment one world' Truth. Rather it is you who appears to have wrapped yourself up with "ideals" after having conflated all those experiences and take the end product so seriously. So much so that instead of being aware of what is right here and now, you rely on a set of beliefs to motivate your decision to act. This is living in the head. And what you perceive of me is from within this cocoon of yours, after all my position if seen correctly, can be read as an encouragement to live "one moment at a time"…..

All that said I'd like you to know that although I have been direct and used strong expressions, my perception of you is not how this may impress. I do believe that you have something positive otherwise I wouldn't bother sweating it out so much.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Gyani ji,

Nearly everyone..Buddhist to a kindergarten kid can see a "Goat" suffering/bleating/struggling/groaning/pleading/bleeding/whatever.......

This is what the Buddhist has to say about "suffering" or Dukkha:

Quote:
Dukkhata: (abstr. noun fr. dukkha): 'the state of suffering', painfulness, unpleasantness, the unsatisfactoriness of existence. "There are three kinds of suffering:
(1) suffering as pain (dukkha-dukkhata),
(2) the suffering inherent in the formations (saá¹…khara-dukkhata),
(3) the suffering in change (vipariṇÄma-dukkhatÄ)" (S. XLV, 165; D. 33).

(1) is the bodily or mental feeling of pain as actual]y felt.
(2) refers to the oppressive nature of all formations of existence (i.e. all conditioned phenomena), due to their continual arising and passing away; this includes also experiences associated with neutral feeling.
(3) refers to bodily and mental pleasant feelings, "because they are the cause for the arising of pain when they change" (Vis.M. XIV, 34f).<end quote>

So really what you are referring to is no. 1 in the above, and yes everyone knows this. It is no. 2 which is what only a Buddha can teach about. And yes, you could say that a sugar cane is dukkha, provided that you keep in mind that it is the ephemeral material phenomena that are the basis for the particular concept which is being referred to. But if you think that the sugar cane "experiences" dukkha as in the first meaning, then you are asserting what even some fools who wrangle over flesh will not. This is because even they would know that the sound of sugar cane crushing is due to the earth element striking against earth element.

I believe that Guru Nanak was using the example only as a metaphor to express a different point from what you and others here make. But don't ask me what that point is and I do not wish to get into a discussion about it.

ONLY GURU NANAK JI had the COMPLETE BIRDS EYE VIEW of things..and whats more even MODERN SCIENCE has nothing to say against it....cannot refute it an iota....

Aw come on. You are not praising Guru Nanak when you state this, but in fact making him appear possibly misguided as far as I'm concerned. You are only projecting your own misperceptions onto him. Science knows nothing but shadows, so how can it be used to judge what is and what is not the Truth?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM