• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

Arya Samaj is divided into two part,one which claims to be Hindu is pro veg while those who cal Arya Dharam greter then Hindus eat meat a lot.

Das thnks here you talk about Sant Nirnakaris,whhich are at loggerhead with Panth and not the true Nirnakaris(who still are there in few numbers in Chandigarh),Both are pro to jhatka meat but Sant Niranakris may eat Halal also.

Asutos Ji,preach that Islam,Hindusim,Sikhism,Christianity etc. all preach vegitarianism.For which they even tell lies also.They are vegis.

Das saw only one Baba with Ashram or Dera who supports non veg and that is Baba Virsa Singh Ji.

the anti hindu pro communist swami agnivesh belongs to which category meat eating or not meat eating.

randip singh said:
Here is an example of some of the most lamest responses I have had about this issue....baring LK:

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=14714

Just abuse...no counter argument.:whisling: :u):

i posted the article on sikhportal and responses started coming in without reading the article.the problem is not vegetarianism but obsession with it.
they don't want to study sikhism with open mind
what their jatha,sant,samprada says about meat they just accept that with closed eyes

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Debate is NOT about encouraging or discouraging meat/vegetariansm.
GURBANI warns about CHASKA....loosely translated as :ADDICTION: , "OVERindulgnece"..."cant live without it..type of thing. ON Page 15 of SGGS in Sri Raag Guru nanak LISTS 6 such CHASKAS we all have....
1. Chaska of Collecting GOLD, SILVER, WEALTH, 2. Chaska of Having the most beautiful WOMEN around us..3. Chaska of Perfumes and scents for our Body, 4. Chaska of having the best horse, elephant etc to ride - Modern equivalent - BMW/MERC/Ferari/Porsche in the driveway even though we may have to skip meals to pay the monthly installment, 5. Chaska of having the best MANSION palace to live in...how we love to renovate and renovate ourselves into debt !!..and LAST on the LIST is ..Chaska of SWEET FOODS..and MEAT.

YES......GURU JI LISTS the Chaska of MEAT LAST..after one for SWEETS- laddoos, jalebis, barfis, khoa,

IN WHAT WAY have our great SANTS and BRAHMGIANIS LEAPFROGGED GURU JIs LIST from 1 - 6....over everything incluidng the loads of laddoos and jalebis we eat daily...to hit the Brakes at MEAT..and choke on this. TO Guru Ji...meat is just one small CHASKA...the LEAST important of all. GO look at SRI RAAG Mahalla Pehla Page 15 SGGS. Are we Cleverer than GURU JI...

SHOW me ONE SANT who advises AGAINST GOLD COLLECTING...and I will show you HUNDREDS of such MANGTAH TOKREE DHOING SANTS..whose only mission in life is to Cover every Gurdawra done with GOLD, Plaki with GOLD..next will be GOLDEN Battas, GOLDEN Bhanddehs in Guru ka langgar...and GOLD SGGS
My advice..READ GURBANI yourself..veero ate bhenno...dont listen to half educated and uneducated people trying to push outdated and wrong beleifs down your throat...Maas Maas kar MOORAKH JHaggrreh..is GURU NANAK JI SPEAKING...not some half baked brahmgiani !!

Ask any medico..overindulgence in ANYTHING is bad...Maah dee daal gives soem bad knees...some foods give gas problesm to some...ghee is bad for heart patients...so and so on..GURU JI ADVISES..RESTRAINT..SEHAJ...GO SLOW....ON EVERYTHING..eating, sleeping...whatever we do. Even too much SAAG will KILL YOU..so use your god given brains..AAklle SAHIB SEviahn..says GURU NANAK JI again...

Jarnail Singh Gyani

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
take a look at the following post from tapoban
http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=82234&t=82234
Author: in sochna mood
Date: 05-29-06 08:34
bhupinder singh ji i too have a question for you my brother.
if a sikh eats meat they are bound by karma automatically to pay off the debt back in to charasi lakh joon. Such as a person eating a chicken will be born one in next life right? if muslims eat meat everyday, and even for days marked with observance for God how would they even advance up to any low form of heaven before paying the price of maas munching?
heavens compared to sach khand are low form but how can meat eaters even spend the next life in a place where they will not pay back this price of consuming flesh of a being? surely maas munchers debt to karm would be heavier than any amount of praying they did. how could it balance off some good over bad?
from what i have been informed on the laws after death, the amount of bodies we eat we will have to come back as each one. That would then cancel out any chance of having any heavenly pleasure if people have munched 10 000 animals in lifetime. or would charity and praying a bit make a difference?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now where it is written in gurmat that if a person eat meat then he is reborn into that joon.what philosophy these people are following.by that logic if a person eat human meat then he will reborn into human being.
these people are hopeless case they are what brahmins are to hinduism

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
kds1980 said:
take a look at the following post from tapoban
http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=82234&t=82234
Author: in sochna mood
Date: 05-29-06 08:34
bhupinder singh ji i too have a question for you my brother.
if a sikh eats meat they are bound by karma automatically to pay off the debt back in to charasi lakh joon. Such as a person eating a chicken will be born one in next life right? if muslims eat meat everyday, and even for days marked with observance for God how would they even advance up to any low form of heaven before paying the price of maas munching?
heavens compared to sach khand are low form but how can meat eaters even spend the next life in a place where they will not pay back this price of consuming flesh of a being? surely maas munchers debt to karm would be heavier than any amount of praying they did. how could it balance off some good over bad?
from what i have been informed on the laws after death, the amount of bodies we eat we will have to come back as each one. That would then cancel out any chance of having any heavenly pleasure if people have munched 10 000 animals in lifetime. or would charity and praying a bit make a difference?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now where it is written in gurmat that if a person eat meat then he is reborn into that joon.what philosophy these people are following.by that logic if a person eat human meat then he will reborn into human being.
these people are hopeless case they are what brahmins are to hinduism

I have a section in the article that tackles Chaurasi Lakh Joon head on.........copy and post it.

There is no difference in Joon between rock, plant, animal......only humans are different.

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
nice essay.

but if you look at it logically, dont you think that God will punish you for killing animals in order to eat them?

i talked to an aunti, she said that the hukamnama from Guru Govind Singh Maharaj was that we arent allowed to eat meat, and not only "halal meat"...
she says that it is those wicked shcholars that came up after 1984 that has been saying this in order to divide us bla bla...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Amardeep said:
nice essay.

but if you look at it logically, dont you think that God will punish you for killing animals in order to eat them?

i talked to an aunti, she said that the hukamnama from Guru Govind Singh Maharaj was that we arent allowed to eat meat, and not only "halal meat"...
she says that it is those wicked shcholars that came up after 1984 that has been saying this in order to divide us bla bla...

There is no Hukamnama from Guru Gobind Singh ji saying this. Read the essay, because there is a section that deals with Hukamnama's of Guru Hargobind that allegedly state not eating meat. However, there is another by Guru Gobind Singh ji that says its ok to eat meat so long as it is not Halal.

Also there is a section that deal with the Chaurasi Lank joon argument....i.e. minerla, vegetable, animal then human..................however......Bani does not say this...............it says you have Human life at on level....then below that animal, plant....mineral at one level.

Read it in the essay rather than me explain it....its been kept short for ease of reading.

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
sath shri akal.

i have read the article, and i am a meat eater myself, but i keep thinking that it is wrong to kill just for pleasure of the tongue.

is there not bad karma attached to eating meat? i know that plants have a soul to, but i heard they dont give karma.

what are we suppose to eat if everything has life :S...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Amardeep said:
nice essay.

if god is going to punish us for killing animals
then what about the use of pesticides . for growing non organic vegetarian food millions of insects are killed. isn,t god going to punish us
killing so many insects.is the life of insect less valuable than an animal.

vegetarianism as a theory invented by people living in fertile areas.but god has not created fertile area everywhere.what about the people living in coastal areas icy region .is god going to punish them for eating meat .if god wanted humans to be vegetarian
then he should have created fertile area everywhere.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Amardeep said:
sath shri akal.

i have read the article, and i am a meat eater myself, but i keep thinking that it is wrong to kill just for pleasure of the tongue.

is there not bad karma attached to eating meat? i know that plants have a soul to, but i heard they dont give karma.

Hi Amardeep,

Read the section in article about Joon (or Chaurasi Lakh Joon).........it will dismiss any notions of what gives bad Karma.

Also read the section on taste........in order for the taste argument to hold then Vegetarian food would have to taste awful...............I am a meat eater but the tastiest dish I like is White Channay (Chitay Chollay). This argument is invalid.

I stress again...read the sections in the article that relate to these things you have brought up.

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
how do you explain this verse:

rojaa Dharai manaavai alhu su-aadat jee-a sanghaarai.
You keep your fasts to please Allah, while you murder other beings for pleasure.

ਆਪਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਅਵਰ ਨਹੀ ਦੇਖੈ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਉ ਝਖ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
आपा देखि अवर नही देखै काहे कउ झख मारै ॥१॥
aapaa daykh avar nahee daykhai kaahay ka-o jhakh maarai. ||1||
You look after your own interests, and so not see the interests of others. What good is your word? ||1||

Page 483, Line 5 kabir

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Amardeep said:
how do you explain this verse:

You keep your fasts to please Allah, while you murder other beings for pleasure.

You look after your own interests, and so not see the interests of others. What good is your word? ||1||

Page 483, Line 5 kabir

What Bhagat Kabir is tackling here is the hypocrasy of the Mullahs. They sacrifice creatures (usually a chicken or goat), as a token of what Abraham was willing to do for God.............however the Mullahs themselves own hearst are not full of sacrifice for others....but only for themselves.......

Read all of the Tukh

Again we tackled something similar to this in the essay....read the essay before posting....it talks about this.. :)

ਆਸਾ
आसा ॥
aasaa.
Aasaa:

ਰੋਜਾ ਧਰੈ ਮਨਾਵੈ ਅਲਹੁ ਸੁਆਦਤਿ ਜੀਅ ਸੰਘਾਰੈ
रोजा धरै मनावै अलहु सुआदति जीअ संघारै ॥

ਕਾਜੀ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਏਕੁ ਤੋਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਤੇਰਾ ਸੋਚਿ ਬਿਚਾਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ
काजी साहिबु एकु तोही महि तेरा सोचि बिचारि न देखै ॥
kaajee saahib ayk tohee meh tayraa soch bichaar na daykhai.
O Qazi, the One Lord is within you, but you do not behold Him by thought or contemplation.

ਖਬਰਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਦੀਨ ਕੇ ਬਉਰੇ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਜਨਮੁ ਅਲੇਖੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
खबरि न करहि दीन के बउरे ता ते जनमु अलेखै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
khabar na karahi deen kay ba-uray taa tay janam alaykhai. ||1|| rahaa-o.
You do not care for others, you are a religious fanatic, and your life is of no account at all. ||1||Pause||

ਸਾਚੁ ਕਤੇਬ ਬਖਾਨੈ ਅਲਹੁ ਨਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ
साचु कतेब बखानै अलहु नारि पुरखु नही कोई ॥
saach katayb bakhaanai alhu naar purakh nahee ko-ee.
Your holy scriptures say that Allah is True, and that he is neither male nor female.

ਪਢੇ ਗੁਨੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਬਉਰੇ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਖਬਰਿ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥
पढे गुने नाही कछु बउरे जउ दिल महि खबरि न होई ॥२॥
padhay gunay naahee kachh ba-uray ja-o dil meh khabar na ho-ee. ||2||
But you gain nothing by reading and studying, O mad-man, if you do not gain the understanding in your heart. ||2||

ਅਲਹੁ ਗੈਬੁ ਸਗਲ ਘਟ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਿਚਾਰੀ
अलहु गैबु सगल घट भीतरि हिरदै लेहु बिचारी ॥
alhu gaib sagal ghat bheetar hirdai layho bichaaree.
Allah is hidden in every heart; reflect upon this in your mind.

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹੂੰ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੈ ਕਹੈ ਕਬੀਰ ਪੁਕਾਰੀ ॥੩॥੭॥੨੯॥
हिंदू तुरक दुहूं महि एकै कहै कबीर पुकारी ॥३॥७॥२९॥
hindoo turak duhoo-aN meh aikai kahai kabeer pukaaree. ||3||7||29||
The One Lord is within both Hindu and Muslim; Kabeer proclaims this out loud. ||3||7||29||

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
the text talks about pleasure..Muslims dont halal slaughter animals because it is fun. they do it because they have to eat the meat, hence- Pleasure of the tongue..
SGGS condems this action..

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Well there seems to be confusion of the vegetarian stuff, persoannly, no oen should be pro-meat or pro-veggy. Cause both kill living creatures and have equal status.

We use pesticides and clear rainforests to grow vegetabes that kills countless animals and in some situations, make certain speices extinct.

We drive cars that kill people that pollute, as well as build homes over habitat... we kill something everyday...

In some places of the world, meat is needed for survivla, i came from one of those places...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Amardeep said:
the text talks about pleasure..Muslims dont halal slaughter animals because it is fun. they do it because they have to eat the meat, hence- Pleasure of the tongue..
SGGS condems this action..

This is nothing to do with the pleasure of the tongue whatsover.

Where did you get that from? No mention of tongue. No mention of taste. Infact no mention of meat.

Also I was just reading the Gurmukhi and there is no mention of animals.

This is about murdering beings for pleasure......jee-aa is the living.

This may also be a reference to forcible conversion by the Maulvi's, who murdered many thousands of Hindu's who would not convert to Islam. I'd have to research the time frame of Kabir when he said this .

at the end Kabir proclaims

hindoo turak duhoo-aN meh aikai kahai kabeer pukaaree. ||3||7||29||
The One Lord is within both Hindu and Muslim; Kabeer proclaims this out loud. ||3||7||29||

So in all probability it maybe about that.

One thing I am sure of this is nothing to do with pleasure and the tongue.

Either way.....the point is the same....it is tackling the hypocrasy and biggotry of the Mullahs.

Lionchild said:
Well there seems to be confusion of the vegetarian stuff, persoannly, no oen should be pro-meat or pro-veggy. Cause both kill living creatures and have equal status.

We use pesticides and clear rainforests to grow vegetabes that kills countless animals and in some situations, make certain speices extinct.

We drive cars that kill people that pollute, as well as build homes over habitat... we kill something everyday...

In some places of the world, meat is needed for survivla, i came from one of those places...

I think as a Native Canadian you definitely have an advantage over understanding the ways of nature.........something most Sikhs from Punjab have problems getting to grips with.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi Amardeep,

I may be possibly correct in my assertion about Kabir refering to excesses commited against Hindu's. Apparently Timur invaded India in 1398, around the time when Kabir was around.

Apparently these biggoted Muslims sacked all major places of Hindu worship. They ravaged Banares (where Kabir stayed), and put thousands of Hindu's to the sword.

Again, this is nothing to do with tastes of the tongue and again refers to the assertion in the essay that Tukhs and Shaloks MUST be read in conjunction with the Historical context, otherwise misuderstanding will result.

In Dehli alone 100,000 Hindu's were put to the sword. Now considering probably the largest conubations in the world did not have more than 500,000 people..........that was genocide Kabir witnessed.....all in the name of Islamic fundamentalism...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/742629/posts

Massacre of 100,000 Hindus At this Court Amir Jahan Shah and Amir Sulaiman Shah, and other amirs of experience, brought to my notice that, from the time of entering Hindustan up to the present time, we had taken more than 100,000 infidels and Hindus prisoners, and that they were all in my camp. On the previous day, when the enemy’s forces made the attack upon us, the prisoners made signs of rejoicing, uttered imprecations against us, and were ready, as soon as they heard of the enemy’s success, to form themselves into a body, break their bonds, plunder our tents, and then to go and join the enemy, and so increase his [p. 53] numbers and strength. I asked their advice about the prisoners, and they said that on the great day of battle these 100,000 prisoners could not be left with the baggage, and that it would be entirely opposed to the rules of war to set these idolaters and foes of Islam at liberty. In fact, no other course remained but that of making them all food for the sword. When I heard these words I found them in accord with the rules of war, and I directly gave my command for the Tawachis to proclaim throughout the camp that every man who had infidel prisoners was to put them to death, and whoever neglected to do so should himself be executed and his property given to the informer. When this order became known to the ghazis of Islam, they drew their swords and put their prisoners to death. 100,000 infidels, impious idolaters, were on that day slain. Maulana Nasiru-d din ‘Umar, a counsellor and man of learning, who, in all his life, had never killed a sparrow, now, in execution of my order, slew with his sword fifteen idolatrous Hindus, who were his captives.

...and these are Timur's own records.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Bro Amardeep,

Did you eat meat,do you find it tastier then veg food so that you say that we do it for pleause to kill animal?

Then why not we must stop taking veg food also which is tasty to us and needs more of killing of animal which compete with us.

Coming to Guru Gobind Singh ji's policy on meat.

hukkam namanh you talk is more to do with Six Master and it is at Patna Sahib and das finds it OK.But that was sent for the purpose of those who wanted to do meditations etc. as we had Udasis there and other converts preaching Gurmat(by some Swami with last Name Gir or Giri).And mayn not apply to Guru Panth.

Hukum Nammah say by Ninth Master askes for Sikhs to send him Cups and plateSo how can we follow that at present.

Then had it been relavent it may have been included in scriputre.

anyway at the end of Dasham Granth we have clearly writtan,Halal is forbiddan.Thatm means we can eat any meat non Halal leave aside Jhatka.

Then on the time of Tenth Master did decendant of Baba Budha worte Mangal Prakash ie Sau Sakhi by Baba Ram Kaur Gurbax Singh.

Guru invited Brahmins,said he will give silver coin to that who ate kheer(rice and milk sweet puiding) and gold one to that who ate meat.Some only resisted the greed and most ate meat.Guru gave gold coin to those who did not eat meat and it was reprimention on the greedy Brahmins.

Greedy Brahmins said,Why S. Alam Singh is then allowed to eat meat?(Alam Singh Ji had Brahmin ancestors and was a great Sikh.

Guru said and das gives you in the same language,

Mam Sikh Mas Khaye Dij Nahi
ie My Sikh eats meat and not the Brahamin .We can take it at present that Guru said that Brahmin should not eat meat but his Sikh should.Even the interpreter Pratap Singh Mehta Route that he is veggi but Guru Hukam(order) is Guru Hukam and has to be followed.

In the same book one Baniya from Ujjain says that as Guru eats meat ,he can not be a true Guru,but Guru does a miralce and his father is called and all doubt is removed(this is long story).

mostly in Samprdayas,meat is niot eaten as they have some preactical problelms in thier fied job.but we are not Sants only but Sant Sipahi.and Sipahi hhas to kill,even just to let habit of killing does not goes away.And killing can be chopping suger canes also.so we may be rebonr as Suger cane.

When same God let us kill another lving being then main reason for that act is God,then how should we be punished as God told us to do something and God self did that.No Duja bhav or dulity.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Amardeep said:
sath shri akal.

"PLEASURE" of the Tongue....you have hit the nail right where Guru naanak ji Hit it on Page 17 SGGS...

People who have a "sweet tooth"....that is just cant resist that Chocolate.. or ....Ice Cream..ooooooooohhhhh heavenly taste...or the Apple Pie..ladoos barfis..jalebis...also have "pleasure of the Tongue"..and ITS EQUALLY BAD as Pleasure of the tongue for Meat...READ GURBANI Sri raag Page 17...IF MEAT was VERY VERY VERY BAD....killing animals, paap cruel etc...Dont you think GURU JI would PUT IT UP at the TOP in CAPITAL LETTERS..or even REPEAT it about TEN TIMES in RAHAO TUK ?? NO WAY..Guur Ji PUT SWEET pleasure FIRST........... More Peopel Today are DYING of DIABETES..than Protein Posioning !!!but NO BODY..I REPEAT NOBODY..not Damdami taksaals SANTS and Brahmgianis...Not the rarewalla brahmgianis snats..not the Nanksari Sant Brahmgianis...even mentioned SWEETS once in any book/lecture/katha...Bhai Sahib Bahi randheer Singh ji also Forgot to mention it..HOW can all these Brahmgianais OVERLOOK the GURBANI staring them in the face ?? 65 million dollar question..

Gyani jarnail Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
"PLEASURE" of the Tongue....you have hit the nail right where Guru naanak ji Hit it on Page 17 SGGS...

People who have a "sweet tooth"....that is just cant resist that Chocolate.. or ....Ice Cream..ooooooooohhhhh heavenly taste...or the Apple Pie..ladoos barfis..jalebis...also have "pleasure of the Tongue"..and ITS EQUALLY BAD as Pleasure of the tongue for Meat...READ GURBANI Sri raag Page 17...IF MEAT was VERY VERY VERY BAD....killing animals, paap cruel etc...Dont you think GURU JI would PUT IT UP at the TOP in CAPITAL LETTERS..or even REPEAT it about TEN TIMES in RAHAO TUK ?? NO WAY..Guru Ji PUT SWEET pleasure FIRST........... More Peopel Today are DYING of DIABETES..than Protein Posioning !!!but NO BODY..I REPEAT NOBODY..not Damdami taksaals SANTS and Brahmgianis...Not the rarewalla brahmgianis snats..not the Nanksari Sant Brahmgianis...even mentioned SWEETS once in any book/lecture/katha...Bhai Sahib Bahi randheer Singh ji also Forgot to mention it..HOW can all these Brahmgianais OVERLOOK the GURBANI staring them in the face ?? 65 million dollar question..

Gyani jarnail Singh

You have made a very thought provoking post. I think I will raise this as a seperate topic.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM