• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
In the above artical, 'Mahaprasad' has been referred to flesh but actually Mahaprasad is the one started by Guru Nanak Ji during his some discussions with certain Brahmins. 'Mahaprasad' actually is the 'Krah Parshad' unfortunately things changed with time and certain agencies intentially started refering 'Maha Parshad' to flesh...

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Some of the above pictures would have been appropriate for the website called Ogrish(?) which I think is now banned, and for good reason.

Interesting that in one tradition a "saint" is someone who is incapable of killing any living being even if it meant giving up his or her own life. But here we have a saint (warrior) who chops off a goat's head and that too as part of a ritualistic activity! :-/
Unfortunately major part of flesh consuming Sikhs start comparing themselves with Gurus ...like Guru did this we too will do it but they forget that they are not GURUS. They just do want they want and put forth what Guru did to justify their doing.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Unfortunately major part of flesh consuming Sikhs start comparing themselves with Gurus ...like Guru did this we too will do it but they forget that they are not GURUS. They just do want they want and put forth what Guru did to justify their doing.

Fortunately ? those that DONT consume/abhor consumption of flesh/eggs...go beyond simple "Comparing"..they consider themsleves DEFACTO GURUS...conferring on sleves grandiose titles like Satguru, Guru, Maharaj, Sri 108, or STRINGS of Titles..Gurmatt MAARTAND, Shiromani Kathakaar, Mahagyani, Vidya Sagar, etc etc etc..and Sit on Gadees, have Darbars, Have Sangats Matha Tek at their FEET, drink water that has been used to wash their feet...SANT JI MAHARAJ is so common that there may be clsoe to 18,000 in Punjab alone besides the GURUS and the Satgurus. In the 12,000 villages of Punjab there are 18,000 DERAS which ahs aHUMAN HEAD far above the SGGS in PRACTISE (in theory many are afraid due to fear of sikh anger/retaliation and so remain muted in their actions)

The GURUS who wrote such Masterpieces as Japji, jaap, Sukhmani, Anand sahib, Oankaar etc etc..are JUST NUMBERS...with common Name Nanak...just go to any bookshop and pick up a KATHA/TEEKA of these SGGS compositions and see the NAMES and TITLES of the HUMAN who merely TRANSLATED/EXPOUNDED on these Masterpieces....and tell me of ANY that just has a NUMBER under the AUTHORs. Name !!

Its a travesty and a tragedy that we can see the one celled amoeba on the far off Andromeda galaxy..BUT we CANT see the Mammoth sitting on our NOSE....meat is a NON-ISSUE..all these Fake GURUS, satgurus, sri 108 and Mahrajs etc are BIG ISSUES...

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Giani Ji

You are right. Bigger than meat/flesh is the issue of fake Deras been/being established in Punjab & one needs to stop it.....but who will do it is the quest. I personally feel Damdami Taksal had a bigger role to play in it to somehow curb it but they are quite passive from the past few years.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
In the 12,000 villages of Punjab there are 18,000 DERAS which ahs aHUMAN HEAD far above the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in PRACTISE (in theory many are afraid due to fear of sikh anger/retaliation and so remain muted in their actions)
Is that actually true? :O I never knew this... what would the bali be significant for us?

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
When performing Jhatka on a goat, first the goat is bathed, then Japji Sahib and Chandi Di Var are read. One Singh stands by the head of the goat and upon the final lines of Chandi Di Var being read, ‘Those who sing this divine ballad will be liberated from the realm of life and death’, at this moment the goat is decapitated with one blow and the soul of the goat is liberated. The goat itself lowers its head to receive salvation”. (Giani Thakur Singh, Asa Di Var Viakhya Part 25)
Wow! If it is really that simple I would love to have jhatka on myself as well lol!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Well it is certainly promoted as such. Kabir ji would say that it too is immoral, less painful maybe but immoral. He would say that any kind of slaughter is immoral.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well it is certainly promoted as such. Kabir ji would say that it too is immoral, less painful maybe but immoral. He would say that any kind of slaughter is immoral.

Then I guess then their are 2 possibilities

1) Guru's too were unable to understand what Kabir ji is saying

2) All the reference from Prachin panth prakash, Mahima prakash , suraj prakash etc about Guru's and sikhs eating meat is wrong

http://meateatinginsikhism.blogspot.in/p/sikh-history-on-meat-eating.html

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
No that's too simplistic.

3) The Gurus' beliefs and background were different.
The blog states that Guru Amardas ji is a Vaishnu therefore He does not eat meat, and so He was surprised to see Guru Angad Dev ji serving it. We know Bhai Lehna ji was a Shakta before He met Guru Nanak Dev ji and became Guru Angad Dev ji. He had been Shakta for a very long time. He commanded a large following, who were all Shakta and probably ate meat. So He serves it in His langar.

We've already discussed hunting so I won't get into that. My view is that it was for a larger cause where human suffering was involved thus it overrode animal suffering. The kurukshtra sakhi does not mention Him eating the meat.

The gurus did want us to transcend identities like vegetarian and such, this I will say now. I am open to more evidence, what would make me question Kabir ji's vegetarian stance as representative of Guru Granth Sahib ji is if Guru Nanak, Guru Amardas, Guru Ramdas, Guru Arjan and Guru Tegh Bahadur ate meat, which as far as I know, they did not.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM