• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: Can I Go to the Gurdwara after Eating a Tiny Bit of Meat?

ya but it is not dead meat like one stuck in teeth. So it could smell. Better rinse and brush teeth.
It may come as shock to people that there are far more temporary living organisms in your mouth than a piece of dead meat just swallowed or stuck carries. Most smell from mouth comes from two sources,

• Infection of the teeth and rest of the mouth or general bad hygiene due to lack of brushing and cleaning
  • Majority comes from, after effects of dehydration and smells from your lungs due to bad health habits or disease.
A bit of a morcel of meat is irrelevant.

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Seeker9 ji

What a great quote from the testament. What a profound message that one is. I never though of it that way.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

there is a reason for not eating meat before going to the gurdwara and it is as much spiritual as it is scientific. Meat take a lot of time and energy to digest. As such if you have a stomach full of meat before going to the gurudwara you will feel lethargic/ lazy and tired when sitting and trying to meditate or concentrate. So you should only avoid meat before you go to the gurudwara or pray at home if you have the intention to concentrate and meditate.

Sheer nonsense. :tablakudi:

The same could be said about heavy foods like Paneer.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

ya but it is not dead meat like one stuck in teeth. So it could smell. Better rinse and brush teeth.

I think you should rinse and brush regardless. I don't want smelly breathed people breathing on me :grinningkudi:

I don't think the food you consumes make a difference otherwise what use is the Shabad Guru Nanak Dev ji wrote?? Remember the chastisement the Brahmins gave Guruji for accepting meat from hunters on hi s way to a religious festival? We are no better than the Brahmins.:angryadminkaur:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Chick peas and MOST Daals produce a huge a mount of GAS...and its so difficult not to let go....even while seated in meditation..so ?? make a LIST of do eats and dont eats...???

HAH HAH HAH that made me laugh out loud!

Yes, absolutely we must take care..any excess methane in the immediate vicinity may ruin the taste of the Parshad....

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
crumbs I have enough to worry about, what with finding the truth, keeping my thoughts clean and honourable, conducting in myself in a manner acceptable to the global truth, and now I have to worry about the contents of my lunch too?:interestedmunda:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
crumbs I have enough to worry about, what with finding the truth, keeping my thoughts clean and honourable, conducting in myself in a manner acceptable to the global truth, and now I have to worry about the contents of my lunch too?:interestedmunda:

Exactly thepoint Guru Nanak made. People who dwell over such an idiotic issue as diet are Fools!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
One of the ways to make the warrior Sikhs sisiies is to make them vegetarians similar to Brahmins Jains etc......meat eating Sikhs as big as Hari Singh nalwa scare the living daylights out of Pathans and brahmins ruling delhi...our langauge.our culture..our religion...our lands..everything is under attack..why not diet too ???

Well the Brahmins used to control people mentall and spiritually, so why not physically by making them more passive with a vegetarian diet....unless ofcourse you were to protect Brahmins like a Kshatriya, in which case you could eat meat.

A real crafty bunch, and we have our very own Sant Mat people trying to do the same.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Gyani ji and Randip Singh ji,
If it really does then why not eat according to the environment. If there are no Mughals walking about looking for Sikh heads , would it be better to switch to a vegetarian diet?

It it does it would stop any wrangling over anything.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
True, but its a third off pork bellies today at Asda-wallmart, I think that balances out the lack of Mughals.

As for wrangling, I take my hat off to anyone wrangling here, as clearly, you have overcome all the other obstacles in the search for the almighty, to be left wrangling on this one

Maybe we should add vegetarian sikhs as a seperate ethnic group, like nirankaris, it would be great at dinner parties, well, yes I am a sikh, but I am of a small sect that believes in the divine will of god towards pork bellies, We are allowed lust filled thoughts, the odd affair, a little drink, but we will raise our sword on anyone that harbours thoughts of eating meat!

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
If it really does then why not eat according to the environment. If there are no Mughals walking about looking for Sikh heads , would it be better to switch to a vegetarian diet?

Promote something as official Sikhi when it is not written in SGGS just to keep the peace? Since when is that part of being Sikh? No-one is advocating becoming a meat eater but teh freedom of choice. What gives us the right to control other's diet? Do you really want to exclude those that eat meat for health reasons (I can name several of my patients in this situation) or people who live in environments (I have travelled a lot and it is often very difficult to stick to a vegetarian diet in some remote places) making it very difficult to remain vegetarian? Do you think the Guru's made concessions to keep the peace or did they stick to what they believe in? Do you think compromising on the Guru's teachings to avoid conflict is the right thing to do?

Where do the concessions then stop? It is human nature to always wrangle over something. As a Sikh, we should always stand for the truth and not be swayed by the wrangling :swordfight-kudiyan:swordfight

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

I think Bhagat Singh ji, the issue is not about diet at all, it is about freedom. People miss that point time and time again!!

We are Warrior Saints and therfore me must eat to keep our minds and bodies strong!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
True, but its a third off pork bellies today at Asda-wallmart, I think that balances out the lack of Mughals.

As for wrangling, I take my hat off to anyone wrangling here, as clearly, you have overcome all the other obstacles in the search for the almighty, to be left wrangling on this one

Maybe we should add vegetarian sikhs as a seperate ethnic group, like nirankaris, it would be great at dinner parties, well, yes I am a sikh, but I am of a small sect that believes in the divine will of god towards pork bellies, We are allowed lust filled thoughts, the odd affair, a little drink, but we will raise our sword on anyone that harbours thoughts of eating meat!

If the Guru's were around today, they would probably say something about keep a balance and that would probably mean diet.

My personal view is we eat far too much meat. We need some but not as much as we eat. We should eat food to keep our mind and body healthy.

These people who shirk at the thought of shedding an animals blood, how the hell are they supposed to stand up for injustice (which may involve shedding human blood). I keep reiterating it, we are Saint Soldiers.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Randip Singh ji,
Ok in that case my comment was off-topic. My concern is with diet and well-being alone, that is, eating certain diets to increase individual and communal well-being.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh ji,
Ok in that case my comment was off-topic. My concern is with diet and well-being alone, that is, eating certain diets to increase individual and communal well-being.

If we want total communual well being, then lets go back to basics. The most greenest diet on this planet is that of the hunter gatherer, which would involved vegetables and a bit of meat.

A truly balanced diet :)

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Randip ji,

I think Bhagat Singh ji, the issue is not about diet at all, it is about freedom. People miss that point time and time again!!

If this is the point of your original essay, then it looks like that I made a mistake citing it in another discussion forum. There, some members were suggesting that it was morally wrong to eat meat. I in response, tried to point out that eating is eating and that it is driven by plain desire no matter the food is fruit and vegetables or meat. To associate becoming a vegetarian with moral purity must be the result of some kind of wrong understanding and leads to many problems, most notably the increased inability to give due consideration to what should be considered while being driven by a false sense of morality. Indeed this is a great evil, one which is hard to detect, given especially that for the person who is under its influence, it is perceived as a kind of good standing against some perceived evil.

But you are saying now, that this issue is actually about "freedom". I have my doubts, but I will not get into a debate. However I would like to ask you the following questions:

If "freedom" is such an important point in the teachings, what is your opinion with regard to the general Sikh practice of keeping one's hair and never cutting it?
Should those who make "hair" an issue be considered fools?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If ˜freedom" is such an important point in the teachings, what is your opinion with regard to the general Sikh practice of keeping one's hair and never cutting it?

Confused ji

Freedom to decide meat or veg without having one's morality judged in an overweening way by someone who has made a different decision. Freedom to decide for kesh, and knowing why one has done that, without being judged by someone who has made a different decision. Freedom to decide against keeping kesh, without being judged on a harsh moral plane by someone who has made a different decision. Freedom to give oneself freedom to decide. Freedom to consider deeply the reasons for those decisions. Freedom to change one's mind.

How is one moral without freedom?

We of course can pursue a philosophical debate about the meaning of freedom. Let's not for the sake of thread relevance, and take that elsewhere. I am of course in my remarks assuming that this sense of freedom to decide is coming from a place in dharma and is not merely wanton willfulness.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: