• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Types Of Karas

Kulbirrose

SPNer
Sep 2, 2014
Wahe Guru Ji Ki Ka Khalsa, wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh
Greetings, everyone, I have a question. There are now different designs of the kara; I have seen some that are ridge, some that are smooth, and I have been wondering how the different forms of karas have come about. A friend gave me one that is made of iron rebar; he had bent it into a bangle shape and welded the ends together. Another friend took a lock washer made of steel and welded the ends together, so they are permanently connected, though they do not quite match up and so are just a bit offset. Does anyone know where to find information about the different types and shapes of the kara, and how they came about? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ji

I have moved your thread from the 'Islam' subforum to 'Questions and Answers'.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Sat Sri Akaal,
I think the style or look of kara is not so important. But I am a little put off when I see people wearing gold or gold-looking karas. The fact that it is supposed to be steel has much historical/spiritual meaning to Sikhs; when it is worn in gold, it takes it from the realm of spiritual significance to the realm of ego.

Kulbirrose

SPNer
Sep 2, 2014
Sat Nam, Ji-
I have to say I agree with you. The kara is supposed to be the iron/steel, not gold, and I find myself wondering why the individual wearing a gold one is wearing one at all. Iron and steel are wonderful!
But then, in many places of the world, gold is ridiculously highly valued.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Isn't giving gold karas actually against SRM? In fact, some puritans even shun steel and say it must be sarbloh only.

Instead, I was told Amritdhari usually present the groom with a kirpan, which is what I am bringing to India for my soon to be husband, as he is (and soon I will be) Amritdhari.

Kulbirrose

SPNer
Sep 2, 2014
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Yes, I have heard that it is usually a kirpan than is given to the groom.
Yes, I have seen the gold karas, and I think it has to do with social status as much as anything; and that in itself may related to caste, which Sikhism does not recognize.
At any rate, I am interested in the history of how the different designs came about. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be thankful indeed.
I have always been interested in the history of the designs of things, and I had noticed the different types of karas a while back, and have been curious as to how they came about. Thanks!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM