• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs In Temples

Fixed up Singh's post. Now you may answer him. :)

i will answer as well Singh ji.

Bhagat Singh ji if there was a physical difference then that would mean the Gurus did die. Once again the Gurus body was not Guru. If it was then the Gurus did die. But this is not the case the Jyot is the Guru and this Jyot is the Shabad Guru that is in Sri Guru Granth Sahibji. The Guru never dies it is eternal Bhagat Singh.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh ji if there was a physical difference then that would mean the Gurus did die. Once again the Gurus body was not Guru. If it was then the Gurus did die. But this is not the case the Jyot is the Guru and this Jyot is the Shabad Guru that is in Sri Guru Granth Sahibji. The Guru never dies it is eternal Bhagat Singh.
By jyot I meant teachings. What is your meaning of jyot?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
You lost me, what are you talking about?
I meant "teachings" when I said "jyot".
replace the word jyot in my post with teachings.

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Sikhi is created by its founder Nanak. Each time I read his oblation to his creator, of needing to be as the dust upon the foot of such a great one, I wince, and indeed think it inappropriate to be so submitted to an unseen ‘Greater Power’. It is a valid fear but unwarranted in your case. The teaching, poetry and prose of Nanak is breathtakingly beautiful. His love and devotion to his creator is inspirational in its steadfast adherence in bleak and testing times. Bowing to the Guru Granth sahib is perfunctory and any anger arising from such necessity should be counselled and contemplated until the root of its animosity and anger if found. If our Guru walked the Earth would we not placed him in our finest Gurdwara and queue in the hot sun to pay homage and for a glimpse of him. But alas I fear the Gods descend into the world from their high thrones to be close to their little creations, and when found by the negative forces are hounded and betrayed, a heavy burden of guilt many religious faiths carry as a deep wound. Your dilemma is resolved by introspection. Time out to consider why you are rebelling against bowing to the Granth Sahib.

Mar 26, 2006
People can i ask something here ...When we go to the Gurdwara Sahib ...we bow before the Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj Gyarvhi Paatshahi...we have seen every step of sewa...how is it different from a idol ?? should i say have we not made a Idol of Guru Granth sahib ji ? Air conditioning , perfumes , and lot more ..tell me what is different ? even Ishnan is performed by covered Sahibji with plastic sheet...!!!!

When i had been to Nanaksar, Huzoor Sahib ..there was a Jatha who was rabidly argueing with the Granthi there for Sukhasan...

All the sewa being done, forgive me if i m wrong ..but i feel we r doing the same Murat vaad in the form of Guru Granth Sahib ji ...the difference here is the Murat is made of paper....and not of stone ...

Babaji's message to concentrate on Naam Simran of Akaal Purakh is sidelined...

To be frank we have moved back to what we were to go beyond ...

Bhul chuk Muaaf Karni

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Respect is accorded to all as a matter of course. No Sikh bows to any other ‘’Idol’’ than The Guru Granth Sahib. If a religious leader is designated to carry the mantle of such a prestigious role then it may be reconsidered. Bowing to idols opens doors for media icons and other such types, and for this reason is prohibited. We are at war at present and although a perfect role model for leadership of Sikhs may be found as inspiration to the all generations and strata of Sikhism, we remain mindful of obstacles such ‘’Idols’ face as impediments to gaining such a powerful position. Until such as time, reverence for all, bowing of heart mind and Spirit only to our Creator, and his Word ...

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Page 660, Line 4
ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਨੀਤ ਨਵਾ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
साहिबु मेरा नीत नवा सदा सदा दातारु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Sāhib merā nīṯ navā saḏā saḏā ḏāṯār. ||1|| rahā▫o.
My Lord and Master is forever new; He is the Giver, forever and ever. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Respect is accorded to all as a matter of course. No Sikh bows to any other ‘’Idol’’ than The Guru Granth Sahib. If a religious leader is designated to carry the mantle of such a prestigious role then it may be reconsidered. Bowing to idols opens doors for media icons and other such types, and for this reason is prohibited. We are at war at present and although a perfect role model for leadership of Sikhs may be found as inspiration to the all generations and strata of Sikhism, we remain mindful of obstacles such ‘’Idols’ face as impediments to gaining such a powerful position. Until such as time, reverence for all, bowing of heart mind and Spirit only to our Creator, and his Word ...
ooh, I like your reasoning. This is solid for not bowing down to idols but it is a special case. Lets look at a general case.
If we weren't at "war", would you still bow down to an idol to give respect?

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Okay let’s take the example of Sant Jarnail Bindranwale. This warrior was by no means an intellectual, but he had a strong Spiritual Presence and a cause and those who knew him were inspired by him. A man is judged by the substance and standing of his fellowship, and is the Sikh Elite had backed him, would we not all collectively have not only endorsed but idolised him as our Sikh Guru, upholding all Sikh values, culture and truth.

He was alas destroyed because to have any cross section credibility he was required to battle against an oppressive regime, instead of, as most politicians do to sustain seats of power, bow* to the regime that holds his precious State in a vice like grip. Thus the reigning power destroyed him in such barbaric manner, and his sacred religious temple.

Rhadoswami is now the greater belief system of Punjab with a majority of adherents and Sikhism in general loses because of it as it is a multi faith belief system. The Sants loss was a bitter blow, yes we would have worshipped our Christ and Sant but alas the media have a greater power, and defamation and scandalising campaign sought to divide Sikhs against him, and ultimately led to his horrendous assassination.

It is a lesson for us all, and for this reason, I subtly and gently campaign for a Sikh Religious leader to be carrier of the Granth Sahib and its truth for Sikhs.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Moderator's Note: Please keep to the relevance of the thread.

People can i ask something here ...When we go to the Gurdwara Sahib ...we bow before the Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj Gyarvhi Paatshahi...we have seen every step of sewa...how is it different from a idol ?? should i say have we not made a Idol of Guru Granth sahib ji ? Air conditioning , perfumes , and lot more ..tell me what is different ? even Ishnan is performed by covered Sahibji with plastic sheet...!!!!

When i had been to Nanaksar, Huzoor Sahib ..there was a Jatha who was rabidly argueing with the Granthi there for Sukhasan...

All the sewa being done, forgive me if i m wrong ..but i feel we r doing the same Murat vaad in the form of Guru Granth Sahib ji ...the difference here is the Murat is made of paper....and not of stone ...

Babaji's message to concentrate on Naam Simran of Akaal Purakh is sidelined...

To be frank we have moved back to what we were to go beyond ...

Bhul chuk Muaaf Karni

RajKhalsa ji, Please tell us the similarity's bettween Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and a idol. Also tell us the differences? If you don't know what are the similarity's and difference then its really hard to speak on this topic.

Mar 26, 2006
This is a matter of faith brother...for someone who has all the faith in the idol .there is nothing beyond ...for us who have faith in Sri Guru Granth sahibji ..we cannot just compare ..i dont think its good to compare ...t o each his own...at the same time we are Sikhs and not muslims ..there is no where mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj..to not bow before idols ..as if its a cardinal sin...

This is a matter of faith brother...for someone who has all the faith in the idol .there is nothing beyond ...for us who have faith in Sri Guru Granth sahibji ..we cannot just compare ..i dont think its good to compare ...t o each his own...at the same time we are Sikhs and not muslims ..there is no where mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj..to not bow before idols ..as if its a cardinal sin...

Actually in your post you did compare Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and the idol

how is it different from a idol

Here you asks other whats the difference between Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and an idol and now your telling me its not good to compare or contrast! then you go on to say

should i say have we not made a Idol of Guru Granth Sahib ji ?

What is all of this RajKhalsa ji, also Guru Nanak Dev ji already spoke to people who put there faith in a idol look in this discussion on what he has said.

there is no where mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj..to not bow before idols ..as if its a cardinal sin

Then tells us where in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji it is one can bow to an idol?

If you belief that you can bow down to a idol then I have no problem with it, but don't say it never says it in the Sri Guru Grnath Sahib ji becaus PK 70 and others have already explained this. Guru Nanak Dev ji has told us not to bow down to idols.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: