• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs In Temples

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਚਚਾ ਰਚਿਤ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਭਾਰੀ
चचा रचित चित्र है भारी ॥
Cẖacẖā racẖiṯ cẖiṯar hai bẖārī.
CHACHA: He painted the great picture of the world.

ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚੇਤਹੁ ਚਿਤਕਾਰੀ
तजि चित्रै चेतहु चितकारी ॥
Ŧaj cẖiṯrai cẖeṯahu cẖiṯkārī.
Forget this picture, and remember the Painter.

ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਇਹੈ ਅਵਝੇਰਾ
चित्र बचित्र इहै अवझेरा ॥
Cẖiṯar bacẖiṯar ihai avjẖerā.
This wondrous painting is now the problem.

ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚਿਤੁ ਰਾਖਿ ਚਿਤੇਰਾ ॥੧੨॥
तजि चित्रै चितु राखि चितेरा ॥१२॥
Ŧaj cẖiṯrai cẖiṯ rākẖ cẖiṯerā. ||12||
Forget this picture and focus your consciousness on the Painter. ||12||

Namjap ji the bowing in that sentence means surrendering or giving up. Guru ji is saying. Surrender to the Lord and nothing else.
That bowing could also apply to SGGS. Why should you bow to SGGS when you live in the Mansion of the Lord's presence, sorta thing. agreed?

Bhagat Singh ji, I make this simple as possible, Please answer the follow question?

In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the bani the Lords word? Yes or No either way, please back it up with support using Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh ji, I make this simple as possible, Please answer the follow question?

In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the bani the Lords word? Yes or No either way, please back it up with support using Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.
What do you mean?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji, put forth in one of her posts, whether we are bowing to the printed paper or the wisdom of Guru Ji when we bow to SGGS.

In my opinion, it's the latter.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Namjap ji and Bhagat Singh ji
Please do not abuse Guru Shabad with futile comments. Guru ji is not saying what you have been saying so far. In this Guru Vaak, Guru is just expressing who has realized the Lord, doesn’t bow to others because there is none to bow. The word mansion used by translator makes you think about a special mansion of the Lord which is a misunderstanding. Lord’s presence is every where but to realize that presence in reality is not as easy as we say HE is every where. Saying “He is every where” and “living actually in that experience” are two different things.

Aad Ji, put forth in one of her posts, whether we are bowing to the printed paper or the wisdom of Guru Ji when we bow to SGGS.

In my opinion, it's the latter.

Namjap ji its a good point. This was cleared up in the video I presented at the beginning of the discussion. The body of the Guru is not Guru because the body turned into dust. And if it was then we would say the Guru died, which is not the case. Guru is the word of God; the bani; the Shabad Guru.

Now like Bhagat Singh ji put it in one of his post that its simpler as bowing to idol and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is completely wrong. What is an idol just a picture or a stone. What is Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, its the spoken words of God.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Okay if ten Gurus died. Please present evidence the ten Gurus died.
People of their time saw them die then cremated them. What kind of stupidity is this? I thought that at least, this would be general knowledge. Kind of obvious in a sense.

you present evidence that they didn't die.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The SGGS was made Gurus by the last of the living Sikh Masters, Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1708. Guru Gobind Singh said before his demise that the Sikhs were to treat the SGGS as their next Guru. Guru Ji said "Sab Sikhan ko hokam hai Guru Manyo Granth" meaning "All Sikhs are commanded to take the Granth as Guru". NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Meaning that the Adi Granth is the Guru.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But Guru Nanak Dev ji did not take credit personally because the Satguru is greater than ink and paper and all the words he had to describe Him.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾਗਦ ਲਖ ਮਣਾ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਕੀਚੈ ਭਾਉ ॥
naanak kaagadh lakh manaa parr parr keechai bhaao ||
O Nanak, if I had hundreds of thousands of stacks of paper, and if I were to read and recite and embrace love for the Lord,

ਮਸੂ ਤੋਟਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਲੇਖਣਿ ਪਉਣੁ ਚਲਾਉ ॥
masoo thott n aavee laekhan poun chalaao ||
and if ink were never to fail me, and if my pen were able to move like the wind

ਭੀ ਤੇਰੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਨਾ ਪਵੈ ਹਉ ਕੇਵਡੁ ਆਖਾ ਨਾਉ ॥੪॥੨॥
bhee thaeree keemath naa pavai ho kaevadd aakhaa naao ||4||2||
-even so, I could not estimate Your Value. How can I describe the Greatness of Your Name? ||4||2||

Shabad means "word" in Sanskrit, it means sound, and it means voice. The Words of Guruji are the Shabad Guru -- Of course the Granth Sahib is the Word of the Satguru - The Satguru is speaking through Guruji.

ਕਰਤਾ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਤੇਰੈ ਜੋਰਿ ॥
karathaa sabh ko thaerai jor ||
O Creator Lord, all are in Your Power.

ਏਕੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਜਾ ਤੂ ਤਾ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
eaek sabadh beechaareeai jaa thoo thaa kiaa hor ||1|| rehaao ||
I dwell upon the One Word of the Shabad. You are mine-what else do I need? ||1||Pause||

ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤੁਸੀ ਰਾਵਿਆ ਕਿਨੀ ਗੁਣਂ​*ੀ ॥
jaae pushhahu sohaaganee thusee raaviaa kinee gunanaee ||
Go, and ask the happy soul-brides, ""By what virtuous qualities do you enjoy your Husband Lord?""

ਸਹਜਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੀਆ ਮਿਠਾ ਬੋਲਣੀ ॥
sehaj santhokh seegaareeaa mithaa bolanee ||
"We are adorned with intuitive ease, contentment and sweet words.

ਪਿਰੁ ਰੀਸਾਲੂ ਤਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਾ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣੀ ॥੨॥
pir reesaaloo thaa milai jaa gur kaa sabadh sunee ||2||
We meet with our Beloved, the Source of Joy, when we listen to the Word of the Guru's Shabad."||2||

Ang 15

And then

ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨੁ ਸਮਝਾਈਐ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਾਲਾਹ ॥
naanak man samajhaaeeai gur kai sabadh saalaah ||
O Nanak, instruct your mind through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, and praise the Lord.

Ang 23

People of their time saw them die then cremated them. What kind of stupidity is this? I thought that at least, this would be general knowledge. Kind of obvious in a sense.

Therefore, you should not have any problem accepting just SGGS because it is the jyot of the human gurus. There is no difference between SGGS and Gurus therefore, let's all follow SGGS!! :thumbup:

The two above post were written my Bhagat Singh ji, does anyone see the contradiction here. Second quote from a different thread.

Also no one cremated Guru Nanak Dev jis body under the covers only flowers were found the next morning. Also no one cremated Guru Arjan Dev jis body.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
The two above post were written my Bhagat Singh ji, does anyone see the contradiction here. Second quote from a different thread.
You took those out of context. :inca:

Also no one cremated Guru Nanak Dev jis body under the covers only flowers were found the next morning. Also no one cremated Guru Arjan Dev jis body.
I made my point. :D

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
This is so childish Bhagat Singh you continue with this childish behaviour.:}:):

Alright if i answer the question you posed to me will you answer the question: the bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is it the Lords word?
If you think simple yet complicated questions are childish then you need to go look up the word childish, sir! :yes: Keep a dictionary at hand or something.

you can do whatever you like.:)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhagatSingh

First of all there is a physical difference don't forget. This physical difference makes "Bani is Guru and Guru is the bani" a metaphor. Secondly, if SGGS is the eternal wisdom of Gurus then khalsa is definitely not their ETERNAL wisdom.

Therefore, you should not have any problem accepting just SGGS because it is the jyot of the human gurus. There is no difference between SGGS and Gurus therefore, let's all follow SGGS!! :thumbup:

Fixed up Singh's post. Now you may answer him. :)

i will answer as well Singh ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: