• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meditation On God's Help

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I would like to suggest, hopefully I am not first one, To post shabads in full. Or atleast a whole chaupai/chant etc.:welcome:

My good friend -- The posted is the entire seloka within the greater raag than encompasses it. No need to post more, the seloka stands on its own. But the surrounding vaars can be found as noted previously on Ang 1124. :) Forgive me.

Josh martin

SPNer
Jul 8, 2009
sacramento, CA
There were numbers after the first line, which gave me the impression a salok/shabad was ending, aka donate shabad 2, something 5.
And the next line started new. You know, they dont rhyme.

I wasn't aware it was the complete shalok.

danielle k

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
Chichester, at the moment.
I personally believe in both the power of meditation and the necessity of doing it in a way that is appropriate to you and thus conducive to you reaching a higher level of consciousness and concentration on Waheguru, and yet it seems that again and again in both the SGGS (which I am currently reading) and in the Reht Maryada, that there is a very specifically proscribed "right" and "wrong" way to do this.

I have personal feelings about my relationship with Waheguru, but I am confused about all of this. I have not yet been baptised, and am making sincere inquiries into the Sikh faith before doing so, as I think this is only appropriate, and so I am hitting a brick wall.

Thoughts?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
josh ji

here is the complete Sequence of Shloks that are in same reference:

ਟੇਢੀ ਪਾਗ ਟੇਢੇ ਚਲੇ ਲਾਗੇ ਬੀਰੇ ਖਾਨ ॥
टेढी पाग टेढे चले लागे बीरे खान ॥
Tedẖī pāg tedẖe cẖale lāge bīre kẖān.
Your turban is crooked, and you walk crooked; and now you have started chewing betel leaves.

ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਜੁ ਨ ਕਛੂਐ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਾਮੁ ਦੀਵਾਨ ॥੧॥
भाउ भगति सिउ काजु न कछूऐ मेरो कामु दीवान ॥१॥
Bẖā▫o bẖagaṯ si▫o kāj na kacẖẖū▫ai mero kām ḏīvān. ||1||
You have no use at all for loving devotional worship; you say you have business in court. ||1||

ਰਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਹੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਿ ॥
रामु बिसारिओ है अभिमानि ॥
Rām bisāri▫o hai abẖimān.
In your egotistical pride, you have forgotten the Lord.

ਕਨਿਕ ਕਾਮਨੀ ਮਹਾ ਸੁੰਦਰੀ ਪੇਖਿ ਪੇਖਿ ਸਚੁ ਮਾਨਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
कनिक कामनी महा सुंदरी पेखि पेखि सचु मानि ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Kanik kāmnī mahā sunḏrī pekẖ pekẖ sacẖ mān. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Gazing upon your gold, and your very beautiful wife, you believe that they are permanent. ||1||Pause||

ਲਾਲਚ ਝੂਠ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਮਹਾ ਮਦ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਅਉਧ ਬਿਹਾਨਿ ॥
लालच झूठ बिकार महा मद इह बिधि अउध बिहानि ॥
Lālacẖ jẖūṯẖ bikār mahā maḏ ih biḏẖ a▫oḏẖ bihān.
You are engrossed in greed, falsehood, corruption and great arrogance. Your life is passing away.

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਅੰਤ ਕੀ ਬੇਰ ਆਇ ਲਾਗੋ ਕਾਲੁ ਨਿਦਾਨਿ ॥੨॥੫॥
कहि कबीर अंत की बेर आइ लागो कालु निदानि ॥२॥५॥
Kahi Kabīr anṯ kī ber ā▫e lāgo kāl niḏān. ||2||5||
Says Kabeer, at the very last moment, death will come and seize you, you fool! ||2||5||

The potion below is actually a separate two line doha:

ਚਾਰਿ ਦਿਨ ਅਪਨੀ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਚਲੇ ਬਜਾਇ ॥
चारि दिन अपनी नउबति चले बजाइ ॥
Cẖār ḏin apnī na▫ubaṯ cẖale bajā▫e.
The mortal beats the drum for a few days, and then he must depart.

ਇਤਨਕੁ ਖਟੀਆ ਗਠੀਆ ਮਟੀਆ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਕਛੁ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
इतनकु खटीआ गठीआ मटीआ संगि न कछु लै जाइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Iṯnak kẖatī▫ā gaṯẖī▫ā matī▫ā sang na kacẖẖ lai jā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
With so much wealth and cash and buried treasure, still, he cannot take anything with him. ||1||Pause||

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Prayer:

Panna-.1084

ਸਗਲੀ ਜਾਨਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਉਦੀਫਾ ॥
sagalee jaan karahu moudheefaa ||

Seeing God everywhere--- this is supposed to be our Worship. This knowledge is given to us by Guru Ji over and over again.........So let your daily worship be the knowledge 'God is everywhere'. See Him, Feel Him, Breath Him..................

Truth:

Panna 22

ਹੋਰੁ ਕਿਤੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਉਪਦੇਸ ॥੧॥
hor kithai bhagath n hovee bin sathigur kae oupadhaes ||1||

Guru Shabad- some say He is the Guru, some say it is just the teachings of the Guru, whatever is your belief, just need to start living the Truth--His teachings--- As there is no other way other than His teachings.

Be Humble:

Panna-1186

ਤੂ ਸਮਰਥੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਉ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥੩॥
thoo samarathh suaamee maeraa ho kiaa jaanaa thaeree poojaa ||3||

My knowledge is nothing!!!!!!! that's where one need to keep their heart set at....My Master is the Smarath suami, I dont know how to do His Worship....... considering all that you doing as of not much value.. like surrendering your mind to Guru Ji completely..

Panna-805

ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਹੀ ਜਾਨਹੁ ਅਪਨੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥੨॥
thumh hee jaanahu apanee poojaa ||2||
Praising Him for everything-- You alone know Your worship and adoration.

Panna-612
ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਰੇ ॥
har aaraadhh n jaanaa rae ||
Becoming so so humble and considering that you do not know how to worship the Lord in adoration.

From Guru Ji anyone even a person reading Gurbani as a scholar, can understand that Guru Ji has stressed a lot on 'being humble' in every possible way--word, deed, thought.....
Unconditional love, total surrender with utmost gratitude and humility :up:

tu smarath vada meri matt thodi raam

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Really well written Surinder Kaur - I couldn't agree more; there are too many superstitions which have crept into Sikhi and are slowly eroding it away. But I have faith that our brothers and sisters will change for the better and progress - it is a very slow process in our faith unfortunately but we have to hope and pray that Sikhi flourishes in future.

I am very optimistic about the future - Sikhi is helping a lot of people in this modern day and age. But we need clear and logical Sikhi to progress - NOT superstations.

Kind Regards. Gurdip Chana.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Dear Gurdip Ji,

Yes you are right, the moment we start understanding the fact that we need to follow the teachings of Gurbani with unconditional love and gratitude, we are on the right track.

Charan Saran Gur Ek Painda jai Chal SatGuru Kot Painda AagayHoi Let Hai......

With Warm Regards
surinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: