• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is This Creator Who Cares For Us In Such Grand Fashion?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Actually it IS semantics... and pls note I didnt say 'please' everyone. I said see / serve the divine light in everyone. Pleasing them or God didn't come into it. As I said, God is ONEness and everything is a part of that one. So there really is no 'pleasing' in that scenario! It's more 'realizing'.
When Christians say they see personality of God in someone they don't literally mean God is part of them. They mean someone is acting as God would have them act (as dictated by the Bible) in a Godly manner... but they very much see God as entirely separate from Creation. Sikhi however tells us God is WITHIN everything - but also exists independently of everything in *it/he/she*'s on right (use whatever you want there because God has no gender and is formless). All this form, us, the planets sun etc are ALL illusion and temporary. However, the 'seer' behind every set of eyes is one and the same. THAT'S what we need to recognize in each other. Not to PLEASE anyonee, but for our own realization and other's realization so that someday we might experience that ONEness

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Actually it IS semantics... and pls note I didnt say 'please' everyone. I said see / serve the divine light in everyone. Pleasing them or God didn't come into it. As I said, God is ONEness and everything is a part of that one. So there really is no 'pleasing' in that scenario! It's more 'realizing'.

Please tell me how one serves the divine light in everyone?

However, the 'seer' behind every set of eyes is one and the same. THAT'S what we need to recognize in each other. Not to PLEASE anyonee, but for our own realization and other's realization so that someday we might experience that ONEness

I see, the problem is I don't care a fig for my own realization, and I could not care less about ONEness..

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
How can we describe the creator when Guru Nanak dev ji himself admitted that he has failed in doing so , in Japji sahib "Je hau jaana aakha nahi, kehna kathan na jaai" (Even if I know I can't say, because it cannot be described )

God is both what you described and what you think is not !
He's both the evolver of our brains and the big cloud of love that is constantly watching and listening.
Sometimes when you're stuck with a problem and all of a sudden a solution comes in your mind, that is god ! the faint whisper of answers in your heart when a question arises, that is god speaking !

God is the grandiose creation, but a the same time is very subtle . God is total of all that exists and yet is independent of its creation and transcends it !
Like a thread that passes piercing through all the beads to make a rosary , it is (god) present in all of its creation

"Sagal samagree tumre sutar dhaari, tum teh hoye so aagyakari"
(The whole ingredients (substances making the universe) are passing through your thread.
They are obedient to you)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
How can we describe the creator when Guru Nanak dev ji himself admitted that he has failed in doing so , in Japji sahib "Je hau jaana aakha nahi, kehna kathan na jaai" (Even if I know I can't say, because it cannot be described )

your right, we are going down a pointless path, the most intelligent answer to the question posed by this thread is quite simple.

I DON'T KNOW!

is it ego that is stopping us from just plain admitting, we don't know, we can't know, and if we do know, then that is only proof of our own foolishness!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Self-realization, self-actualization, oneness, seeing "God" in all...sounds like a bunch of positive-thinky new-age hooey. What's the point?
Just remember its not THEM you are serving.

well, I agree with you other than seeing god in all, I think that is not hooey, for the simple reason that I think that is the very cornerstone of Sikhism, but not in a way that suggests lip service, and certainly not in a way that you brand the world some sort of play with only one actor, if that works for you, brilliant, but it does not work for me, people are real, animals are real, feelings are real, hurt is real, and compassion for your fellow inhabitants can be real.

I feel others pain, acutely, its what prompts me more than anything to action, I cannot feel others happiness so much, but pain, suffering, despair, depression, I feel these things from complete strangers, it can make it very difficult not to do things for people, animals, maybe I do it to ease my own suffering, I am not sure, but having given the matter some thought, it is them I do it for, not god.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Self-realization, self-actualization, oneness, seeing "God" in all...sounds like a bunch of positive-thinky new-age hooey. What's the point?

funny that...

the SGGS Ji inspires people to do just that new age hooey...self actualization, realization, seeing god in all, etc etc...maybe i should just look at guru ji next time i matha tek, and say...whats the point...lol

actually i can just say it now..."guru ji, quit with the new age crap...i dont want to see you in all...i dont really want to know who\what i really am....i dont give a crap about knowing what life really is, where it came from, how it formed...how i formed..why death is, why birth is...quite your nonsense and leave me alone..."

there...i let it out :)

thankfully...i dont really mean it...because the seeing god in all, the self realization, the seeking...is just too damn amazing..wondrous...crazy...

god bless

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
"guru ji, quit with the new age crap..

Well that's how I feel actually, one can even see where it ends up, 3HO is quite a good example.

i dont want to see you in all.

Now let us apply some logic, we don't know what god is, we don't know what he looks like, or indeed, anything, other than his facets, so to see god in all is impossible, maybe all one can do is extend god's facets, as known, to all, as all is god. Now that is practical, because I keep reading about seeing god in all, but I do not see the required grace, nor the required love, so it all becomes semantics.
i dont give a crap about knowing what life really is
I don't..

..i dont really want to know who\what i really am.
I do, but that is down to me...

i dont give a crap about knowing what life really is, where it came from, how it formed...how i formed..why death is, why birth is..

its true, I don't

I just want to embrace truthful living as best I can and I do not need a deity for that

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
feelings are real, hurt is real, and compassion for your fellow inhabitants can be real.

I feel others pain, acutely, its what prompts me more than anything to action, I cannot feel others happiness so much, but pain, suffering, despair, depression, I feel these things from complete strangers, it can make it very difficult not to do things for people, animals

It's just a biochemical change in your body, a temporary reaction in your nervous system. Emotions and feelings are no more "real" than a drug-induced high.

It's all transitory, anyway. Even the most hurtful (or blissful) feeling will eventually pass. Then what are you left with? Memories of your compassion and/or pain?

[AoG]

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
It's just a biochemical change in your body, a temporary reaction in your nervous system. Emotions and feelings are no more "real" than a drug-induced high.

It's all transitory, anyway. Even the most hurtful (or blissful) feeling will eventually pass. Then what are you left with? Memories of your compassion and/or pain?

[AoG]

oh you have no idea...no idea at all...:) but thats ok...because i used to think the same thing..

one day you will though...its just a matter of time ...it'll spring up on you...and you'll think...wah...wahe...waheguru!.....because thats what it is truely wondrous..

god bless

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Well that's how I feel actually, one can even see where it ends up, 3HO is quite a good example.

why like 3HO...don;t you have your own brain...why do you need to end up like anyone else...or any group...seriously dude...that's just an excuse...make you own path...you can think like that and end up how you want to be...

Now let us apply some logic, we don't know what god is, we don't know what he looks like, or indeed, anything, other than his facets, so to see god in all is impossible, maybe all one can do is extend god's facets, as known, to all, as all is god. Now that is practical, because I keep reading about seeing god in all, but I do not see the required grace, nor the required love, so it all becomes semantics.

ahh man...we can't do this..we can't do that....so many barriers...
maybe i should just give up...oh wait...i realized it was true...like han solo said "the jedi, the force, the dark side...its all true...all of it"... :)

so thankfully, your negativity does nothing but prove to me and others that we are indeed on our own path...in the end we end up with the realization, and you will too...but maybe not just yet...or maybe you will :) who knows...

I don't..

ok, so you dont give a crap about knowing what life really is...cool

I do, but that is down to me...

but you want to know who or what you are.....don;t confuse yourself...same thing dude...you want to know what you or who you are...that's a huuuge part of wanting to know what life really is...don;t you think?

I just want to embrace truthful living as best I can and I do not need a deity for that

neither do i need a deity...thank diety-less God we agree on something :)
one day you'll see the light of Waheguru...shining brightly within you...and because you saw it in yourself...you'll know it exists within everyone and everything else also...
you'll feel it, sometimes commune with it, you'll know you have been blocking the love that it holds because once you feel it, oh man...its overwhelming...you'll feel like you're going to pop...

but you won;'t..because you're part of it..

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
oh you have no idea...no idea at all...:) but thats ok...because i used to think the same thing..

one day you will though...its just a matter of time ...it'll spring up on you...and you'll think...wah...wahe...waheguru!.....because thats what it is truely wondrous..

I'm so glad that you're here to tell me how ignorant I am. Really, I'm touched.

[AoG]

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I'm so glad that you're here to tell me how ignorant I am. Really, I'm touched.

[AoG]

And I.M touched that you think what myself and others experience is just a temporary chang in our nervous system...

Is this something you studied...read somewhere...what experience has led you to know what it is that I talk of or what guru ji describes?

broken

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2016
High Desert, CA

I thought of this question today as I puttered around the new garden project I am working on. I'm pulling out wasteful plants and replacing with desert native plants. I like natives.

First I thought of King Solomon. He said there is nothing new under the sun (I think he was correct, even though there are smartphones now). So I chucked a little at the New Age reference. That same label makes me chuckle when I'm at Barnes & Noble also.

Here's the thing. When the local forest went ablaze in wildfire back in 2003 a few days later it looked like a moonscape. This troubled me because I was evacuated during the fire, and I never went back home afterwards, and this was difficult to see. But now, years later we are seeing the transition from the Pioneer Plants to the next level of the forest's natural restoration process. Watching this is joyful.

When I look at nature, it is looking at god, because there are no limits, no holding back. Nature is full on out there .... those burned pines exploded during the fire and sent seeds all over to hopefully take the place of the lost pine tree. Thousands of seeds, only one needed to succeed but nature knows the odds and plays to win.

There is nothing more self wasteful than nature. Zillions of pollen pods blow in the wind, seeds helicopter out trees by the millions and the hydrological cycle moves through the motions without hesitation. Inside the leaves CO2 is turned into oxygen, nitrogen is processed by the plants and hungry little whatevers eat the grasses and flowers with glee. Never thinking there will not be enough.

God is ... I know this. I touched him today. I work with him in the gardens and together we produce a wonderful seasonal bounty of vegetables to eat, flowers to encourage the bees and some ganja to fight my disability.

New age. Nope. Nothing new. God was, is and will be there .... close enough to put your hands on, yet far enough away to see the big picture of it all.

Fun fact: All the trees in the Sequoia National Park ..... have the same DNA. All those big beautiful trees are all related and sharing roots.

Amazing. Wonder. Beautiful. Ginormous. You betcha ... I wanna plug into that.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
And I.M touched that you think what myself and others experience is just a temporary chang in our nervous system...

Emotions and feelings are by nature temporary, they will not last. To rely on them is pure folly.

Don't rely on your five senses either -- they will deceive you again and again.

I know it's not what you want to hear. But it is what it is.

Is this something you studied...read somewhere...

This is based on my experience. The human body, the human senses, thoughts, feelings, emotions, ALL of it is fickle and unreliable. The human heart is unreliable and fickle.

what experience has led you to know what it is that I talk of or what guru ji describes?

I don't understand the question, kindly rephrase it please?

[AoG]

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

[AoG]

Let me put it another way, one thing I haven noticed about perception is that your ability to feel the pain and pleasure in others is heightened, as it would be. If this gives one the ability to to tune into those that need a leg up, that need a lift, then it is very real, and very useful indeed.

I have some very good memories, sometimes that is all I have

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM