• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Is More Important Simran Or Sewa?

Which is more important Simran or Sewa?

• Total voters

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

One's self is always in action and there are three kind of "Actions" or "Seva"

Physical Action
Vocal or Speech as Action
Thought as Action

Thinking is also "action" which is seed of action,
no physical or vocal action can appear if thought has not appeared.
One may be (Aware) or (Unaware)

One shall "remember" or "Simar" or do "Simran" of "Guru's Bani"

"Simran" of Guru's Bani" is way of life to all one performs.

One can maintain metaphysical balance and follow right path through

"Seva" with "Simran"

Wheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I voted "I don't know, not because I really don't know, but because there was no fourth alternative of "something else."

This is like asking which of my legs is more important. I can hobble around on one leg, if necessary, but it's terribly inefficient and difficult. Much better to be able to use both legs to walk.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to ask whether oxygen or hydrogen are more important to water. Silly question! Without both, water cannot exist. In such a way, sewa and simran are both essential to being a Sikh.

For a few years, I had focused heavily on sewa and really did quite a lot of good things, but not long ago I realised that I had not been growing as I should as a Sikh. I had been doing some decidedly half-hearted attempts at simran, but had really neglected it. My life was way out of balance.

I realised that I needed to stand back and get some balance in my life. I started out by closing my bloated Facebook account and cutting back on my other activities. I still participate here, but much less than I did before.

I am still doing sewa, but more quietly, unseen, I hope, and directing more of my energy toward simran. We'll see how that works out.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have read the various comments on the topic of " What is more important, Seva or Simran " and my own contribution is as follows:-

Why do we need to distinguish the importance of one over the other. Surely the important thing is that they be done, either individually or together.

Gurdaasji,

I agree with your sentiments, however if Sewa is a form of Simran, I cannot see how Simran can be a form of Sewa............

ZaraONE

SPNer
Jul 26, 2010
Harry
From personal "experience" simran is the art of turning inward and "tuning into the frequency" of the ONE Universal Consciousness i.e. Guru Ji. To tune in through meditating on the word or bani through deep contemplation. Understanding and comprehending the gist of what Guru Ji is trying to relay through consciousness and speaks to our heart. Silence is key and reciting Gurbani with full attention to the words helps the student listen to the masters teachings. Simran (contemplation through meditation) is a gradual process, it does not happen overnight.

At some point we get "activated" with an inner knowing ... we are then truly "inspired" to take action through courage. The actions are flowing from a point of "I don't have all the details, but I know it will work out" ... and work out they do because Guru is standing right in front of the actions opening up the doors and laughing with Joy that the Sikh is working his hands, feet and moving in the direction of the Guru's Hukam.

When one understands the Hukam (Cosmic Divine Order) of the Lord’s command, he plays the game of chess with the Lord; throwing the dice, he conquers his own mind. Guru Granth Sahib - 793

Simran (contemplation) of every action will balance the mind and sharpen the senses ... the 6th sense is activated and then like a brilliant compass it guides every action of the student.

A simple suggestion if you do not mind, which has worked fantastically in my life ... journal ... write down the instructions of inspiration that come so fast and swift that if we let our ego in the way it will stop all creative actions from being realized. If actions are for the betterment of the whole Spirit all the right paths will open up much faster as I have personally experienced. This is true selfless service. I can attest that my simran got me on the path to volunteer in Haiti last year with my sons and Guru showed me the path to get 6 free airline tickets.

Make the love of the Lord your pen, and let your consciousness be the scribe. Then, seek the Guru's instructions, and record these deliberations. Guru Granth Sahib - 16

A short story on how Guru "inspired" the creation of a kirtan CD and how he "showed his presence" in other cultures!
http://www.unitedstarminds.com/2011/11/10/kindred-hearts-unite-in-joyful-music-creation/

To happer and deeper level of contemplation ... for true Seva of humanity, Guru is waiting with Hukams in hand!

Forgiveness for any passion, but I Love Life and I Love Guru Ji.

khalsa1469

SPNer
Dec 14, 2009
Like most important aspects of Being, this is not an either/or situation. Perhaps, the question arises from lack of clarity about the nature of one's Being, and the meaning of Seva and Simran.

The fundamental fact is that there is only 1.

Being connected with that realization is Simran, which is also called remembrance (from Smaran). I can only remember that which I knew and have since forgotten.

What have I forgotten? That all (that I see as distinct) is actually 1. I have forgotten that I, who I imagine is different from you and all the others, am living a distortion of reality.

In fact, you, me, and all else are 1. Simran is being connected with the enormity of that realization, and Vismad is the effect of that realization upon my body, mind and consciousness.

Seva is (a connected) Being. Seva is commonly referred to as selfless service, which can fit the bill but may be helped via a nuanced understanding.

Seva and Simran are inseparable.

Then, what is the real problem? It is the self that is the problem. That is, until I deal with the Self.

When I operate from the self, I am fractured, dualistic and focused upon the little me. But when I operate out of the integrated, large, Universal me, then there are no barriers. Being this is Seva. Not Being this is trying, which is nothing more than holding oneself back.

Trying is not doing, even Yoda taught us that. "Do or do not, there is no trying", he instructed young Luke Skywalker.

But doing is not the same as Being. When I am doing this or that, I imagine it will lead me to Being. Perhaps, I have put the cart before the horse. Do I imagine that I am serving (doing Seva of) another (less fortunate being)? If yes, then I am in duality and not in Simran of the fundamental fact, that there is only 1.

So, perhaps the question should be Who Am I Being?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
dare I say it?

A moment spent in meditation for the self, is a moment lost to Sewa

Brother H

The word "simr.." means "remembrance" - yaad karna ! The authors of Gurbani make use of this word to illustrate their (personal) separation from the almighty and how union is possible through "jap" (repititon). So in a nutshell - simran is to remember and jap is to repeat the name of the beloved.

Seva and Simran are two different entities - where seva is selfless service and simran is remembering god. The two are equally important from a "man" "tan" perspective.

Hope it helps !
Regards

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Originally Posted by harry haller
dare I say it?

A moment spent in meditation for the self, is a moment lost to Sewa

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said and I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we take the meanings of the Gurbani words literally and stop there rather than delving deeper into it which is the whole purpose of Gurbani.

Allow me to think aloud on this.

1. Why would the Omnipresent Ik Ong Kaar want us to remember The Source? It defeats the purpose of omnipresence.

Only doing good-Seva- is the true Simran as mentioned earlier.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
As is mentioned in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji continously, saas saas geras, naam. Every thing else will follow, go ask the saints oh siblings of destiny!

Philanthropist ji,

Guru Fateh.

Would you be kind enough to post the whole shabad with the page number and the literal translation?

But the thing I would like to learn the most from you as a learner is for you to put the Shabad in your own words, in a simple manner so all of us can learn from it. This will be the wonderful learning interaction for all of us.

I thank you in advance for your this Seva.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
As is mentioned in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji continously, saas saas geras, naam. Every thing else will follow, go ask the saints oh siblings of destiny!

Philanthropist ji,

Guru Fateh.

I requested the whole shabad and the page number from SGGS, our only Guru, with your personal thoughts on it. Can you please do this Seva for us?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Saas = breath, giras = food, naam = wahaguru.
Repeat his name, wahaguru, with every breath and morsel of food, that means we are doing simran with every rhing we do, including SEWA !

It is a beautiful quote, Philanthropistji, and from a purely personal point of view, like a lot of quotes, it doesnt actually mean anything, although I accept that remembering Waheguru is hugely important, and I think this is why Tejwantji wants the full shabad, I think one can take these quotes too literally.

From a literall point of view, it is saying while you are living, remember Waheguru, but how does one remember Waheguru to the point of something tangible happening, my belief is that Sewa whilst looking to the Creator for guidance, inspiration and direction covers all bases.

However, I would be also interested in the full shabad,

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said and I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we take the meanings of the Gurbani words literally and stop there rather than delving deeper into it which is the whole purpose of Gurbani.

Allow me to think aloud on this.

1. Why would the Omnipresent Ik Ong Kaar want us to remember The Source? It defeats the purpose of omnipresence.

Only doing good-Seva- is the true Simran as mentioned earlier.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Pyara Veer Ji

Guru Nanak placed so much emphasis on "truth = sat" , so much so, he named God "satnam". And, I totally agree with you when you say, "Only doing good-Seva- is the true Simran as mentioned earlier". Indeed it is, Guru Ji too said that 'higher than contemplative true being is true living'. The word "simran" however, is used in the context of remembering the "beloved". As you are aware, our gurus regarded themselves as the "patni" of the parmaser "pati", that is to say, wife husband respectively. So from that view point it is important to always "remember" - I am but a love of my beloved. And, I think in a much more contemplative mood Guru Arjan puts it beautifully at the start of Sukhmani Sahib, when he writes, "simr simr sukh pavo..."
Seva however, is the exertion of ones individual mite in the utility of creation to further evolve harmoniously.

Regards

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
like a lot of quotes, it doesnt actually mean anything

Veer Ji
Imagine if the Guru was in front of you and spoke only one line, would you reply like that!One word means something ,so how can one line not mean anything,the whole reason for a quote being a quote is that it stands up by itself.

For example 'To be, or not to be, that is the question:' You should be able understand that without the whole soliloquy.

This context thing is just a safety measure against misinterpretation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.The line is self explanatory and it is obvious he is not using it for ulterior motives,even if it is not word for word from a Shabad, he might be envoking the spirit /feeling of it.

Last edited:

Simranman1

Munmaysimeran.
SPNer
Feb 24, 2006
wolverhampton, UK
This one line, ''Saas saas giras, naam'',is to be taken literaly, amongst others, such as, ''Every breath without your name is wasted''

Hear Hear <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Scarlet Pimpernel<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Thanks v-much obliged.

There are other one liners hidden away in the SGGS, reading slowly, carefuly, and the more the SGGS readings are repeated, the more one liners are to be found. This reading, unfortunatley, no one else is able to do for you ! Good Luck, and Kindest Regards.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This one line, ''Saas saas giras, naam'',is to be taken literaly, amongst others, such as, ''Every breath without your name is wasted''

Philanthropist ji,

Guru Fateh.

I have no idea why you are so reluctant to teach us with the whole Shabad with your views.

After all we are all Sikhs and it is our duty as Sikhs to learn from each other and I am ready to learn from you as is Harry ji.

So, I request you to help us out here at SPN with your Gurmat wisdom.

Hope to learn from you.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM