• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Is More Important Simran Or Sewa?

Which is more important Simran or Sewa?

• Total voters

Simranman1

Munmaysimeran.
SPNer
Feb 24, 2006
wolverhampton, UK
Please understand, nothing is being withheld from you and Harry, though I suspect no one has shown you and Harry how to tie the name, wahaguru, to ones breath, I dont know what to suggest there, except may be you could ask at the local Gaini at theGurdwara?

Best Regards.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Pyara Veer Ji

Guru Nanak placed so much emphasis on "truth = sat" , so much so, he named God "satnam". And, I totally agree with you when you say, "Only doing good-Seva- is the true Simran as mentioned earlier". Indeed it is, Guru Ji too said that 'higher than contemplative true being is true living'. The word "simran" however, is used in the context of remembering the "beloved". As you are aware, our gurus regarded themselves as the "patni" of the parmaser "pati", that is to say, wife husband respectively. So from that view point it is important to always "remember" - I am but a love of my beloved. And, I think in a much more contemplative mood Guru Arjan puts it beautifully at the start of Sukhmani Sahib, when he writes, "simr simr sukh pavo..."
Seva however, is the exertion of ones individual mite in the utility of creation to further evolve harmoniously.

Regards

Original ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for your views but I am a bit confused so I need your indulgence to understand what you have mentioned.

I am sure you know what omnipresence means and Ik Ong Kaar is omnipresent. The proof is in the Wow! and Awe! factors that surround us.

So, is there a possibility that we are taking the meanings of some words quite literally rather than delving into the true meanings what our visionary Gurus are trying to convey through the beautiful poetry of Gurbani?

To Love someone does not mean nor does it require to repeat 24/7 to your lover-in this case the omnipresent and omniscient Ik Ong Kaar who knows each pore of our body- "I love you" but to show what love is through deeds.

You write:

Guru Arjan puts it beautifully at the start of Sukhmani Sahib, when he writes, "simr simr sukh pavo..."
I have a question for you. What do you understand by the word " Simr" as mentioned above?

Is it just parroting and if that is so, then what good does it bring?

Or does it mean something totally different than we have been trained to think about it?

Please share your views so we all can learn from this wonderful interaction.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Please understand, nothing is being withheld from you and Harry, though I suspect no one has shown you and Harry how to tie the name, wahaguru, to ones breath, I dont know what to suggest there, except may be you could ask at the local Gaini at theGurdwara?

Best Regards.

Philanthropist ji,

Guru Fateh.

This forum is meant for us to learn from each other. So I plead you to teach us through your Gurmat wisdom so Harry ji, myself and many more can benefit from your knowledge.

Can you also give me the page number from SGGS our only Guru where it states,"how to tie the name, wahaguru, to ones breath". These are your words.

So, please be kind enough to help us out.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Simranman1

Munmaysimeran.
SPNer
Feb 24, 2006
wolverhampton, UK
I suspect you know far more than you are letting on !
Misconstruing is just not acceptable BYE !

Admin Note: So, in your perspective, Misconstruing of Guru's Words is OK but not Yours!

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veer Ji
Imagine if the Guru was in front of you and spoke only one line, would you reply like that!One word means something ,so how can one line not mean anything,the whole reason for a quote being a quote is that it stands up by itself.

For example 'To be, or not to be, that is the question:' You should be able understand that without the whole soliloquy.

This context thing is just a safety measure against misinterpretation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.The line is self explanatory and it is obvious he is not using it for ulterior motives,even if it is not word for word from a Shabad, he might be envoking the spirit /feeling of it.

SPji,

I disagree with you from the bottom of my heart brother, single lines can be completely misinterpretated. I cannot imagine Guruji quoting one line and then letting me take whatever interpretation I wanted from it, he is my Guru, my teacher, he would patiently explain to me, or guide me in the right direction as to the lesson and what he wanted me to learn from it, this is not a game, or a quiz, these are instructions on how to live, there is much at stake here, not just the prize of a large Ham.

If he is invoking the spirit, then that is a very personal thing to invoke, we are all here different, and different people invoke different spirits, one only has to look at the many different factions of Sikhism, and they all believe they have the correct spirit.

Your argument is also flawed regarding the quote 'to be or not to be', as it happens, I have no idea what this means, I never have , as I never studied Shakespear, I can take a guess, but having seen the speech in its entirety, the spirit of understanding is much easier having seen the whole, why would we want to torture ourselves by giving ourselves a few lines, or a few words, when there is no monopoly on how many lines and words we can use to further our information and understanding.

Amusingly, Yahoo answers lists the most popular answer as

It's really along the same lines as 'Do or die'- it really just means do something, or don't do it. At least, that's what I think it means...

which is not the hugely definitive answer I would have hoped for to illustrate how easily one line can envoke the spirit of entire quote

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

A truly wonderful piece of writing, why deprive yourself, or others of the TRUE meaning in all its simple glory?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harry ji,

Guru fateh.

Well explained. No one could have done it better than you.

One liners can be misleading, especially in Gurbani or in any other context as you have posted the whole poem and it changes the whole meaning and intent of the poet. That is why it is requested to all posters to post the whole Shabad with their own understanding so all can savour the nectar from the message of the Gurus. It is our Me-ism that forbids us from doing what is right and what in reality is a helping hand for all to learn from and that is all we Sikhs urge and look for. Stubbornness does nothing but makes us keep on digging a deeper hole when urged to stop.

People who quote one liners from Gurbani do injustice to our visionary Gurus and to their wonderful vision which they set forth for us to make our lives better so that we become capable of offering our helping hand to others in need.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Humbly submitted and all errors are mine. My interpretation outside of quotes.

(http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=289&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=1&k=1)
Chanting His Glories, your filth shall be washed off.
ਰੱਬ ਦੀ ਉਪਮਾ ਗਾਇਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਤੇਰੀ (ਮਨ ਦੀ) ਮਲੀਨਤਾ ਧੋਤੀ ਜਾਏਗੀ,
xxx

ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉਂਦਿਆਂ ਤੇਰੀ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੀ) ਮੈਲ ਉਤਰ ਜਾਏਗੀ,
Considering creator’s virtues your dirt in mind is removed.

ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਫੈਲੁ
बिनसि जाइ हउमै बिखु फैलु ॥
Binas jā▫e ha▫umai bikẖ fail.
The all-consuming poison of ego will be gone.
ਅਤੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਫੈਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੰਕਾਰ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਹਿਰ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਏਗੀ।
ਬਿਖੁ = ਜ਼ਹਰ, ਵਿਹੁ। ਫੈਲੁ = ਖਿਲਾਰਾ, ਫੈਲਾਉ।

ਤੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੂਪੀ ਵਿਹੁ ਦਾ ਖਿਲਾਰਾ ਭੀ ਮਿਟ ਜਾਏਗਾ।
The poison of ego is also removed.
ਹੋਹਿ ਅਚਿੰਤੁ ਬਸੈ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ
होहि अचिंतु बसै सुख नालि ॥
Hohi acẖinṯ basai sukẖ nāl.
You shall become carefree, and you shall dwell in peace.
ਤੂੰ ਨਿਸਚਿੰਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ ਅਤੇ ਆਰਾਮ ਅੰਦਰ ਵੱਸੇਗਾ,
ਅਚਿੰਤੁ = ਬੇ-ਫ਼ਿਕਰ।

ਤੂੰ ਬੇਫ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਹਿਂਗਾ ਤੇ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲ ਬਿਤੀਤ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ-
One gets a worry free and comfortable living.
ਸਾਸਿ ਗ੍ਰਾਸਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮਾਲਿ
सासि ग्रासि हरि नामु समालि ॥
Sās garās har nām samāl.
With every breath and every morsel of food, cherish the Lord's Name.
ਹਰ ਸੁਆਸ ਤੇ ਬੁਰਕੀ ਨਾਲ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਰਾਧਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ।
ਸਾਸਿ = ਸਾਹ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ। ਗ੍ਰਾਸਿ = ਗ੍ਰਾਹੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ।

ਦਮ-ਬ-ਦਮ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨੂੰ ਯਾਦ ਕਰ।
Remember the creator with every breath and bite.
ਛਾਡਿ ਸਿਆਨਪ ਸਗਲੀ ਮਨਾ
छाडि सिआनप सगली मना ॥
Cẖẖād si▫ānap saglī manā.
Renounce all clever tricks, O mind.
ਹੇ ਬੰਦੇ! ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣੀ ਸਾਰੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਤਿਆਗ ਦੇ।
xxx

ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਸਾਰੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਛੱਡ ਦੇਹ
My mind forget all cleverness.
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਸਚੁ ਧਨਾ
साधसंगि पावहि सचु धना ॥
Sāḏẖsang pāvahi sacẖ ḏẖanā.
In the Company of the Holy, you shall obtain the true wealth.
ਸਤਿ ਸੰਗਤ ਅੰਦਰ ਤੂੰ ਸੱਚੀ ਦੌਲਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਲਵੇਗਾ।
ਸਚੁ ਧਨਾ = ਸੱਚਾ ਧਨ, ਸਦਾ ਨਿਭਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਧਨ।

ਸਦਾ ਨਾਲ ਨਿਭਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਧਨ ਸਤਸੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲੇਗਾ।
Everlasting wealth is gained through company of the wise.
ਹਰਿ ਪੂੰਜੀ ਸੰਚਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ
हरि पूंजी संचि करहु बिउहारु ॥
Har pūnjī sancẖ karahu bi▫uhār.
So gather the Lord's Name as your capital, and trade in it.
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਰਾਸ ਇਕਤ੍ਰ ਕਰ ਅਤੇ ਉਸੇ ਦਾ ਹੀ ਵਣਜ ਵਾਪਾਰ ਕਰ।
ਸੰਚਿ = ਇਕੱਠੀ ਕਰ। ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ = ਵਪਾਰ।

ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਰਾਸ ਇਕੱਠੀ ਕਰ
, ਇਹੀ ਵਿਹਾਰ ਕਰ।
Let the wealth you amass and deal in be in the creator's understanding.
ਈਹਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਦਰਗਹ ਜੈਕਾਰੁ
ईहा सुखु दरगह जैकारु ॥
Īhā sukẖ ḏargėh jaikār.
In this world you shall be at peace, and in the Court of the Lord, you shall be acclaimed.
ਤੂੰ ਇਥੇ ਆਰਾਮ ਪਾਵੇਗਾ ਅਤੇ ਸਾਬਾਸ਼ ਰੱਬ ਦੇ ਦਰਬਾਰ ਅੰਦਰ।
ਈਹਾ = ਇਸ ਜਨਮ ਵਿਚ। ਜੈਕਾਰੁ = ਸਦਾ ਦੀ ਜਿੱਤ, ਜੀ-ਆਇਆਂ, ਆਦਰ।

ਇਸ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਖ ਮਿਲੇਗਾ, ਤੇ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਆਦਰ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ।
This is how one will find comfort in living and closeness with the creator.
ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਏਕੋ ਦੇਖੁ
सरब निरंतरि एको देखु ॥
Sarab niranṯar eko ḏekẖ.
See the One permeating all;
ਉਹ ਇਕ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਹੈ,
ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ = ਸਭ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ।

ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਇਕ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਵੇਖ
See in all living the same one.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲੇਖੁ ੭॥
कहु नानक जा कै मसतकि लेखु ॥७॥
Kaho Nānak jā kai masṯak lekẖ. ||7||
says Guru Nanak, your destiny is pre-ordained. ||7||
ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਉਤੇ ਐਸੇ ਭਾਗ ਲਿਖੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ, ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਫੁਰਮਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ।
ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਸਤਕਿ = ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਤੇ ॥੭॥

(ਪਰ) ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਇਹ ਕੰਮ ਓਹੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ) ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਤੇ ਭਾਗ ਹਨ ॥੭॥
Such is a person of good fortune.

ESSENCE: In this shabad Guru ji give importance to understanding the virtues of the creator and focusing on it all the time. This allows to tackle ego and cleverness while supporting being in company of the wise. This becomes a basis of peaceful, ego free and true life where you see all living as one.

This defines being fortunate.
Sat Sri Akal.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
I cannot imagine Guruji quoting one line and then letting me take whatever interpretation I wanted from it

Veer Ji As far as I know Guru Ji did not quote anyone ,the person quoted Guru Ji,Divine Poetry is to be felt and absorbed ,not studied,
What misinterpretation were you referring to ? A non existent ,lets take a common sense approach to the application of TOS!

He was feeling, let him feel it ,I would take it that feeling over all the studying in the world!

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ambersariaji,

I hope you do not mind my take on the shabad...

When your mind is cluttered by the five thieves, meditate on the smallest molecule to the entirety of the universe, realise how petty and pointless your thoughts are, direct your energies to be in line with what is happening round you

In doing so, be the molecule, be the universe, do not stoop to the lowest of the levels, aspire to be pure like the molecule, be in peace like the molecule, no need to worry about money, status, pride, just be you, doing what Creator asks of you, to be in consonance

Inhale and Ingest only the pure, to be in consonance, the fuel needed should be without intoxication, or rich, or bourne from wrong doing, simple living is simple eating, the joys of being at one with Creation far outweigh a greasy Aloo Prontha, also connection to the supreme should be at all times

The thieves will battle and fight for control of you, they will use subtle tricks to get their way, use this connection, and your body devoid of all impurity to see through them

Be influenced by those on the same path, validate each other, learn from each other, lean on one another when times get hard

It is not the money in your bank account that states how rich you are, it is the deeds, thoughts and words that you trade in, act your life through Bani, spread the message through acts and words that inspire others, but never forget that you are simply the body through which these trades take place, you own nothing, otherwise prepare for the bankrupt life of a baba/sant

You will be out of time, and out of place with society, but you will be acting in accordance with a time and place that you cannot understand or percieve, but one day, you will, and you will get closer every day.

Treat every encounter with everything as you would treat yourself, offer help and assistance to those in need, do not have an agenda, be pure in your dealings

Live in this way and be the person you were meant to be

This is my first ever dissection of a shabad, I have probably attributed much more than I should have, but I let it flow over me, and it remains very personal, based on my experiences and understanding and my own thieves, I respectfully point out that it is in no way a universal translation, only my own, for my own purposes,

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veer Ji As far as I know Guru Ji did not quote anyone ,the person quoted Guru Ji,the line from Hamlet means should I live or Should I die.

What misinterpretation were you referring to ? A non existent ,lets take a common sense approach to TOS!He was in the spirit and was flowing, let him flow!

Spji

you said ( I know Amanji, I promise I will get the hang of this quote thing)

Imagine if the Guru was in front of you and spoke only one line

So I was responding to your post regarding this, as for misinterpretation, you can see that the same shabad has been interpretated quite differently by two diffrerent people, so it is nothing to do with TOS, just clarity of allowing the individual to see in their own way what the entire message was, otherwise we could have all sorts of arguments being validated by single quotes that are out of context

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Veer Ji I understand the importance of context ,I just don't impose it on anyone to provide it, if they remember one word of Gurbani and it seems relevant why not post it,we should not be doing detailed studies of posts,we are discoursing the topic, this portion of a Shabad reminds me of Internet Religious Forums, not the original context of the Shabad !,<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਕਥੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ
गिआनु गिआनु कथै सभु कोई ॥
Gi▫ān gi▫ān kathai sabẖ ko▫ī.
Everyone talks about spiritual wisdom and spiritual knowledge.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਥਿ ਕਥਿ ਬਾਦੁ ਕਰੇ ਦੁਖੁ ਹੋਈ
कथि कथि बादु करे दुखु होई ॥
Kath kath bāḏ kare ḏukẖ ho▫ī.
Talking, talking, they argue, and suffer.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਥਿ ਕਹਣੈ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਕੋਈ
कथि कहणै ते रहै न कोई ॥
Kath kahṇai ṯe rahai na ko▫ī.
No one can stop talking and discussing it.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਬਿਨੁ ਰਸ ਰਾਤੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥
बिनु रस राते मुकति न होई ॥२॥
Bin ras rāṯe mukaṯ na ho▫ī. ||2||
Without being imbued with the subtle essence, there is no liberation. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਹੋਈ
गिआनु धिआनु सभु गुर ते होई ॥
Gi▫ān ḏẖi▫ān sabẖ gur ṯe ho▫ī.
Spiritual wisdom and meditation all come from the Guru.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਾਚੀ ਰਹਤ ਸਾਚਾ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਈ
साची रहत साचा मनि सोई ॥
Sācẖī rahaṯ sācẖā man so▫ī.
Through the lifestyle of Truth, the True Lord comes to dwell in the mind.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

Simran is reciting "wa he gu ru"

or

remembrance of "GURU's BANI"

Naam Jap is reciting "wa he gu ru"

Topic is "Seva" and "Simran"

or "Naam Jap"

Is "Naam Jap" or "Simran" is synonyms ???

Than it comes
What/How/When/Who/Why "Naam Jap"

Actions are performed in three ways

Physical Action (Seva)
Speech as Action (Seva)
Thought as Action (Seva)

Is Seva Different in Real World and

"Simran" not "Remembrance" and is "Abstract"

Let's realise "Seva" and "Simran"

Is it like that or different???

for common to understand

Wahguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

Gurbani is like a prism and each of us sees the same prism from a different angle depending on our current affairs of lives, our understanding of The Source and many other intangible unknowables which also play their parts.

This is the beauty of the poetry. Its interpretation changes with the waves ridden by us on this ocean called life and also with time. Hence, Gurbani is like an ever fresh and crispy head of lettuce which does not get yellow at the ends but rather greener with age. So, what Ambarsaria ji explained about this Shabad is his take. It may or may not change with time and the same goes with yours or mine which I have been motivated to pitch in with, thanks to Ambarsaria ji and yourself.

This Shabad is part of Sukhmani which in a Biblical slant is known as The Psalm of Peace which for me is a misnomer because it is much more than a mere Psalm which literally means a sacred song or hymn. Normally in the old Christian times, all that was sacred was hidden and never explained to the devotees/followers. They had no choice but to accept it blindly. Hence the dogmatic religions are called blind faiths.

The beauty of Sikhi is that there is nothing neither hidden nor sacred. All is out in open for all to savour. How can a flower hide its scent? One may questions!

So, Sukhmani for me is ‘The serenity of Mann-Mind’ which is a lot higher and constant than mere peace. It has no magic formula. There is no “Peace drink” that one can gulp in for a quick fix but its beauty is that our 5<sup>th</sup> Guru teaches us how to weather the storms of the temporal so we can focus on the Spiritual.

This particular Shabad is very appropriate for the thread you have started.

This is the 7<sup>th</sup> Shabad of the 8 Shabad Ashtpadi, # 19 out of total 24. Ashtpadi literally means 8 Shabads (Padhs) put together. All 24 Ashtpadis have 24 themes which are given in the Saloks in the beginning of each, and the 8 Shabad expand that idea further.

Gurbani is written in a scientific manner for the lack of better word. Our Gurus knew very well what they wanted to convey to us and how. In order to make things easier for us, they gave us steps to follow.

Hence, it is a must for us to focus on the Salok in the beginning of each Ashtspadi because that is the main theme; the central idea for us to understand, so that the Ashtpadi could be understood in the right manner.

This is the reason, especially in this one where one posting the one liners to prove one’s point is stepping on the spiritual minefields.

Before we delve into the main theme in this particular Salok, I want to apologise to Philanthropist ji because no personal insult was intended nor hurled, but I wanted to learn the Shabad from his own perspective because the fact of the matter is we all do multiple Sukhmani Paaths, have get togethers weekly for that, but sadly, we do not make any effort to understand the message of our Gurus. These Sukhmani reciting get- togethers have become more like pot luck parties where people share their recipes of the food they have brought and the fashion trends.

Unfortunately, the message of the Guru from Sukhmani is lost in the aroma of the Garam Masala, which was the main objective of the congregation to start with.

Let’s start with the Salok at the beginning of this 19<sup>th</sup> Ashtpadi which is the principle theme for the 8 Shabads that follow it.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=288&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=1&k=1

ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

ਸਾਥਿ ਚਾਲੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਸਗਲੀ ਛਾਰੁ
साथि न चालै बिनु भजन बिखिआ सगली छारु ॥
Sāth na cẖālai bin bẖajan bikẖi▫ā saglī cẖẖār.
Nothing shall go along with you, except your devotion. All corruption is like ashes.
ਸੁਆਮੀ ਦੇ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਦੇ ਬਿਨਾ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਲ ਕੁਛ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਾ, ਹੇ ਬੰਦੇ! ਪ੍ਰਾਣ-ਨਾਸਕ ਪਾਪ ਸਾਰੇ ਸੁਆਹ ਹਨ।

[/FONT]

My take: Once we leave this world, we will not be carrying any suitcases with us that we book before hopping on this particular plane nor will we have any carry on baggage. We will only have our inner ledger, our inner accounting book daily audited by us. In other words, we shall only have the goodness we have accumulated through Seva- deeds with the help of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru. If we have not played our true role as humans during our lives, then our stay has been simply a waste of time, a worthless endeavour.[/FONT]
ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵਨਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
हरि हरि नामु कमावना नानक इहु धनु सारु ॥१॥
Har har nām kamāvanā Nānak ih ḏẖan sār. ||1||
Practice the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. O Guru Nanak, this is the most excellent wealth. ||1||

[/FONT]

There is a very important word in above verse which is[/FONT],[/FONT]ਕਮਾਵਨਾ[/FONT]-[/FONT] kamāvanā that literally means earn with one’s blood, sweat and tears. It requires, honesty and hard work.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
So what is the wealth we have earned, the question arises?[/FONT]

The answer lies in the first 3 words: [/FONT]ਹਰਿ[/FONT]ਹਰਿ[/FONT]ਨਾਮੁ[/FONT]-[/FONT] Har har nām.[/FONT]
Here, Guru ji has said Har twice because saying it once was not suffice to emphasise the point he is trying to make which is the central point- the theme of this whole Ashtpadi, which is, Simran through Seva is the only wealth that our ledger and accounting book shows.Nothing more.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
Hence, the theme indicates our duty of being good by doing good in this life of ours, the only one we know and how we to make the best out of it. In other words, the theme shows us the “how to" in this Ashtpadi but we will only delve in number 7 which Ambarsaria ji and yourself explained it from both your perspective.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
The following is my interpretation:
[/FONT]

(http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gur...=1&t=1&p=1&k=1)[/FONT]
__________________________________________________ _________[/FONT]
Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="458" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="179"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਗੁਨ[/FONT] ਗਾਵਤ[/FONT] ਤੇਰੀ[/FONT] ਉਤਰਸਿ[/FONT] ਮੈਲੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
गुन गावत तेरी उतरसि मैलु ॥[/FONT]
Gun gāvaṯ ṯerī uṯras mail.[/FONT]
Chanting His Glories, your filth shall be washed off.[/FONT]
ਰੱਬ ਦੀ ਉਪਮਾ ਗਾਇਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਤੇਰੀ (ਮਨ ਦੀ) ਮਲੀਨਤਾ ਧੋਤੀ ਜਾਏਗੀ[/FONT],[/FONT]

ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਉਂਦਿਆਂ ਤੇਰੀ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੀ) ਮੈਲ ਉਤਰ ਜਾਏਗੀ[/FONT],[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> When we are working-doing Seva- happily, we always start singing our favourite tunes that act like the fuel to our good work. We bloom like lotuses out of the muck only when we are plugged in with The Source.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="452" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="412"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਬਿਨਸਿ[/FONT] ਜਾਇ[/FONT] ਹਉਮੈ[/FONT] ਬਿਖੁ[/FONT] ਫੈਲੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
बिनसि जाइ हउमै बिखु फैलु ॥[/FONT]
Binas jā▫e ha▫umai bikẖ fail.[/FONT]
The all-consuming poison of ego will be gone.[/FONT]
ਅਤੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਫੈਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੰਕਾਰ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਹਿਰ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਏਗੀ।[/FONT]
ਬਿਖੁ = ਜ਼ਹਰ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਵਿਹੁ। ਫੈਲੁ = ਖਿਲਾਰਾ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਫੈਲਾਉ।[/FONT]
ਤੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੂਪੀ ਵਿਹੁ ਦਾ ਖਿਲਾਰਾ ਭੀ ਮਿਟ ਜਾਏਗਾ।[/FONT]
The poison of ego is also removed.
ਹੋਹਿ[/FONT] ਅਚਿੰਤੁ[/FONT] ਬਸੈ[/FONT] ਸੁਖ[/FONT] ਨਾਲਿ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
होहि अचिंतु बसै सुख नालि ॥[/FONT]
Hohi acẖinṯ basai sukẖ nāl.[/FONT]
You shall become carefree, and you shall dwell in peace.[/FONT]
ਤੂੰ ਨਿਸਚਿੰਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ ਅਤੇ ਆਰਾਮ ਅੰਦਰ ਵੱਸੇਗਾ[/FONT],[/FONT]
ਅਚਿੰਤੁ = ਬੇ-ਫ਼ਿਕਰ।[/FONT]
ਤੂੰ ਬੇਫ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਹਿਂਗਾ ਤੇ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲ ਬਿਤੀਤ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ-[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> What happens then?
Me-ism dissipates and one finds solace and peace within.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="456" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="258"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਸਾਸਿ[/FONT] ਗ੍ਰਾਸਿ[/FONT] ਹਰਿ[/FONT] ਨਾਮੁ[/FONT] ਸਮਾਲਿ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
सासि ग्रासि हरि नामु समालि ॥[/FONT]
Sās garās har nām samāl.[/FONT]
With every breath and every morsel of food, cherish the Lord's Name.[/FONT]
ਹਰ ਸੁਆਸ ਤੇ ਬੁਰਕੀ ਨਾਲ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਰਾਧਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ।[/FONT]
ਸਾਸਿ = ਸਾਹ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ। ਗ੍ਰਾਸਿ = ਗ੍ਰਾਹੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ।[/FONT]
ਦਮ-ਬ-ਦਮ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨੂੰ ਯਾਦ ਕਰ।[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Keep on humming the happy tunes with every breath and with each bite that keep you plugged in with The Source

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="462" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="186"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਛਾਡਿ[/FONT] ਸਿਆਨਪ[/FONT] ਸਗਲੀ[/FONT] ਮਨਾ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
छाडि सिआनप सगली मना ॥[/FONT]
Cẖẖād si▫ānap saglī manā.[/FONT]
Renounce all clever tricks, O mind.[/FONT]
ਹੇ ਬੰਦੇ! ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣੀ ਸਾਰੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਤਿਆਗ ਦੇ।[/FONT]
ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਸਾਰੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਛੱਡ ਦੇਹ[/FONT] ,[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Eradicate this disease called Me-ism from your mind.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="459" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="217"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ[/FONT] ਪਾਵਹਿ[/FONT] ਸਚੁ[/FONT] ਧਨਾ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
साधसंगि पावहि सचु धना ॥[/FONT]
Sāḏẖsang pāvahi sacẖ ḏẖanā.[/FONT]
In the Company of the Holy, you shall obtain the true wealth.[/FONT]
ਸਤਿ ਸੰਗਤ ਅੰਦਰ ਤੂੰ ਸੱਚੀ ਦੌਲਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਲਵੇਗਾ।[/FONT]
ਸਚੁ ਧਨਾ = ਸੱਚਾ ਧਨ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਸਦਾ ਨਿਭਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਧਨ।[/FONT]
ਸਦਾ ਨਾਲ ਨਿਭਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਧਨ ਸਤਸੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲੇਗਾ।[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> And, how shall one eradicate Me-ism?
With company of those who are humming the same tunes as you are and are also plugged in to The Source. This is the only true wealth you can accumulate.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="463" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="224"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਹਰਿ[/FONT] ਪੂੰਜੀ[/FONT] ਸੰਚਿ[/FONT] ਕਰਹੁ[/FONT] ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
हरि पूंजी संचि करहु बिउहारु ॥[/FONT]
Har pūnjī sancẖ karahu bi▫uhār.[/FONT]
So gather the Lord's Name as your capital, and trade in it.[/FONT]
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਰਾਸ ਇਕਤ੍ਰ ਕਰ ਅਤੇ ਉਸੇ ਦਾ ਹੀ ਵਣਜ ਵਾਪਾਰ ਕਰ।[/FONT]
ਸੰਚਿ = ਇਕੱਠੀ ਕਰ। ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ = ਵਪਾਰ।[/FONT]
ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਰਾਸ ਇਕੱਠੀ ਕਰ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਇਹੀ ਵਿਹਾਰ ਕਰ।[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Start bartering this wealth you are accumulating. This is the only true business.

Harry ji, now the question arises that although this poetry is quite moving, how does this reflect in our daily living?

The answer lies in the repeat business or promotion in one’s job. So, if we use the tools of Gurbani our wealth from all aspects becomes multifold.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="473" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="245"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਈਹਾ[/FONT] ਸੁਖੁ[/FONT] ਦਰਗਹ[/FONT] ਜੈਕਾਰੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
ईहा सुखु दरगह जैकारु ॥[/FONT]
Īhā sukẖ ḏargėh jaikār.[/FONT]
In this world you shall be at peace, and in the Court of the Lord, you shall be acclaimed.[/FONT]
ਤੂੰ ਇਥੇ ਆਰਾਮ ਪਾਵੇਗਾ ਅਤੇ ਸਾਬਾਸ਼ ਰੱਬ ਦੇ ਦਰਬਾਰ ਅੰਦਰ।[/FONT]
ਈਹਾ = ਇਸ ਜਨਮ ਵਿਚ। ਜੈਕਾਰੁ = ਸਦਾ ਦੀ ਜਿੱਤ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਜੀ-ਆਇਆਂ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਆਦਰ।[/FONT]
ਇਸ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਖ ਮਿਲੇਗਾ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਤੇ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਆਦਰ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ।[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> This is the only way to live blissfully 24-7.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="455" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="257"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਸਰਬ[/FONT] ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ[/FONT] ਏਕੋ[/FONT] ਦੇਖੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]
सरब निरंतरि एको देखु ॥[/FONT]
Sarab niranṯar eko ḏekẖ.[/FONT]
See the One permeating all;[/FONT]
ਉਹ ਇਕ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਹੈ[/FONT],[/FONT]
ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ = ਸਭ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ।[/FONT]

ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਇਕ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਵੇਖ[/FONT],[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Look for the omnipresence of The Source in everything and everyone you are surrounded by.
Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="462" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="288"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਕਹੁ[/FONT] ਨਾਨਕ[/FONT] ਜਾ[/FONT] ਕੈ[/FONT] ਮਸਤਕਿ[/FONT] ਲੇਖੁ[/FONT] [/FONT]॥[/FONT]੭॥[/FONT]
कहु नानक जा कै मसतकि लेखु ॥७॥[/FONT]
Kaho Nānak jā kai masṯak lekẖ. ||7||[/FONT]
says Guru Nanak, your destiny is pre-ordained. ||7||[/FONT]
ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਉਤੇ ਐਸੇ ਭਾਗ ਲਿਖੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ[/FONT], [/FONT]ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਫੁਰਮਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ।[/FONT]
ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਸਤਕਿ = ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਤੇ ॥੭॥[/FONT]

([/FONT]ਪਰ) ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਇਹ ਕੰਮ ਓਹੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ) ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਤੇ ਭਾਗ ਹਨ ॥੭॥[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Guru Nanak says, this is the only way to become blissful and blessed.

Quote:
<table class="MsoNormalTable" width="459" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="136"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="border:inset 1.0pt;mso-border-alt:inset windowtext .75pt; padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> So, in nutshell, Simran through Seva is the only way to find happiness within and around.

This bliss is the only baggage we will carry after death- the theme of the Salok in the beginning of this Ashtpadi.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Ambarsaria ji,I have one idea to share. You are very good at this stuff. So, I would request you to start Sukhmani from the beginning and all interested Sangat can share their takes and discuss about it. In this way we can all learn from each other.[/FONT]

If anyone has any other ideas, please pitch in.[/FONT]

Thanks & regards[/FONT]

Tejwant Singh
[/FONT]

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Tejwant Singh[SIZE=3 said:
Ambarsaria ji,I have one idea to share. You are very good at this stuff. So, I would request you to start Sukhmani from the beginning and all interested Sangat can share their takes and discuss about it. In this way we can all learn from each other.[/FONT][/SIZE]

If anyone has any other ideas, please pitch in.[/FONT]

Thanks & regards[/FONT]

Tejwant Singh
[/FONT]
Tejwant Singh ji I will be happy to do so.

What is the best approach and amount of material per post that one should cover. If you let me know the pages for the first post I can start.

I assume we will do this in "Gurbani Vichhar" section.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Singh ji I will be happy to do so.

What is the best approach and amount of material per post that one should cover. If you let me know the pages for the first post I can start.

I assume we will do this in "Gurbani Vichhar" section.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

First of all I want to thank you for this wonderful Seva.

Yes, we will do this in " Gurbani Vichhar" Section.

We can start with one Pauri/Shabad of Sukhmani at a time while repeating the Salok with its meaning in each to keep our focus on the theme. After we are done with the whole Sukhmani, then we can start with another part of SGGS like Anand etc. etc.

What do you think?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

We can start with one Pauri/Shabad of Sukhmani at a time while repeating the Salok with its meaning in each to keep our focus on the theme. After we are done with the whole Sukhmani, then we can start with another part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji like Anand etc. etc.

What do you think?

Regards

Tejwant Singh
Tejwant Singh ji I will do one Astpadi at a time and see how it goes. Once an Astapdi is complete I will post it in Shabad parts with your suggestion as above. The following kind of flow per Sikhwiki though I am not commenting on what they say in terms of essence right now,

Astpadi Message of the Bani in this Astpadi
1 sums up the benefits of contemplation and meditation.
2 tells us that "practising holiness" reduces man's propensity to sin.
3 the Guru states that any study of holy texts, the performance of austerities. etc cannot compare with reading or listening to the Sacred Word.
4 stresses the need for good behaviour.
5 we learn to thank God for all his various gifts and treasures which He gives us.
6 examples God's gifts to man: a healthy body, delicacies to eat, silks and jewels to wear and pleasant music to hear.
7 dwells on the attributes of the saints:
8 Similarly to 7, an appreciation of the God-oriented man- the Brahm-giani -is found here.
9 Guru Arjan defines the various types of holy persons like the Pandit, Vaishnav, Bhagwati, etc
10 This deals with the various types of people and substances, both good and bad.
11 The Guru tells us that the meek and the humble win God's love, while the haughty and the vain find no peace or joy.
12 dwells on the lot of the boastful and the arrogant.
13 tells us of the need to associate with saintly people and of avoiding their slander.
14 points out that mortals, by their very nature, are fickle and way-ward; so no reliance can be placed on them.
15 just as darkness is dispelled by light, and wilderness is illuminated by lightning, the Guru's instruction opens up the mind.
16 the Guru refers to God as the Director, Playwright and Actor in His own plays.
17 the Guru emphasizes the qualities of a true servant of God, namely obedience and humility.
18 stresses the characteristics of a Seeker of Truth.
19 Guru Arjan warns of the distractions of life. Why waste one's life amassing wealth?
20 deals with the need of efforts for spiritual progress.
21 the Guru tells of the pre-creation state. Before creation, there was a great void.
22 there is a short list of God's attributes. He is the fountain of generosity and goodness.
23 tells us of the omnipotence of God. He created the fabric of the universe; He controls the stellar bodies.
24 the benefits of the Sukhmani are expounded. The true devotee will be rewarded with health, culture, wisdom, peace, etc.
I would love to finish Complete Sukhmani Sahib (my initial part) before Christmas but I may be underestimating the effort.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

These are personal views on reflections from "Guru's Bani",
one may interact/reject/correct or accept the thought

Its wonderful, to contemplate, inner and outer perspectives, of the words of "Guru's Bani"

There is a very important word in above verse which is[/FONT],[/FONT]ਕਮਾਵਨਾ[/FONT]-[/FONT] kamāvanā that literally means earn with one’s blood, sweat and tears. It requires, honesty and hard work.[/FONT]

"Kamai" or "Kamavna" is not only physical earning.

It internal accumulation of biochemicals also which causes behaviour,

which can not be stolen by thieves.

"Kamai" Let's see for eg

"Kamai" of drunkard,

One starts drinking, small, than large, than daily

If one understand the counter action inside, to maintain Ph of the body,
there is counter action, biochemical produced inside body,

And daily initially small, than large, than daily.
Mind leaves making of counter action, Initially action was volunteer
But now
it transcends to spine level.
It is involunteer.
This is also "Kamaai"

No one day person want's to leave.

Not so easy,
as the "kamaai" counter action "addiction" gone to spine level
will not leave so easily,

If one understand the counteraction,
it is not in one's control,
without understanding of the "kamaai"
one performs wrong action, as phsyical/vocal/thought

Than one can leave friends, relation, nation, generation (body).

But not so easy "one's behaviour" or "kamaai"

Every one has addiction,

let one be addicted to "Guru's Bani"

It is purifying, non harmful to self and others"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Yes Ravneet Ji

Kamavana has two impact. Guru Sahib through the epilogue at the end of Japjisahib has conveyed us the message that every human being is equipped with AN INBUILT SCALE (a technique - a system followed by the laws of nature, according to which within a fraction of second, judgement on our action on good or bad is rendered by itself and accordingly OUR QUALITIY LIFE STARTS IMPROVING/DETERTERIOTING(which gurbani calls as 'avan javan' pal pal marna)or enters into eternal bliss (nanak bhagata sada veegas). Scientist have also discovered imbalance of various chemicals in our body erode/improve our bodysystem, due to our behaviour such as anger, humility, contentment etc. Gurbani tells us, 'eh kar kareh su eh kar paey ik ghadi muhat na laghai' - whatever vices one even think or practice, he obtains the fruits or punishment without a moment's delay. SGGS. 1098.6.
Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

Oct 21, 2009
India
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

We can start with one Pauri/Shabad of Sukhmani at a time while repeating the Salok with its meaning in each to keep our focus on the theme. After we are done with the whole Sukhmani, then we can start with another part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji like Anand etc. etc.

What do you think?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Respected Tejwant ji,

It is wonderful idea. I would also like to participate and shall wait the beginning of the 'Veechar' in some different thread.
Warm Regards

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Though it shall be new thread

Behaviour and imbalance of chemical are vicious, and are interlinked,
one improves other.

What comes first forms other and so on.

Fear cause adernaline or adernaline cause fear.

ahaar, vyahvaar or vichaar forms vicious cycle of behavior and biochemical chain.

Root cause understanding corrects the vicious cycle.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM