• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs In Temples

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Submission for me is a good thing, sinister ji

ਆਈ ਪੂਤਾ ਇਹੁ ਜਗੁ ਸਾਰਾ ॥
aaee poothaa eihu jag saaraa ||
This whole world is the child of Maya.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਦੇਸੁ ਆਦਿ ਰਖਵਾਰਾ ॥
prabh aadhaes aadh rakhavaaraa ||
I bow in
submission to God, my Protector from the very beginning of time.

ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਹੋਗੁ ॥
aadh jugaadhee hai bhee hog ||
He was in the beginning, He has been throughout the ages, He is now, and He shall always be.

ਓਹੁ ਅਪਰੰਪਰੁ ਕਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥੧੧॥
ouhu aparanpar karanai jog ||11||
He is unlimited, and capable of doing everything. ||11||

ਦਸਮੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥
dhasamee naam dhaan eisanaan ||
The Tenth Day: Meditate on the Naam, give to charity, and purify yourself.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਮਜਨੁ ਸਚਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥
anadhin majan sachaa gun giaan ||
Night and day, bathe in spiritual wisdom and the Glorious Virtues of the True Lord.

ਸਚਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਭਉ ਭਾਗੈ ॥
sach mail n laagai bhram bho bhaagai ||
Truth cannot be polluted; doubt and fear run away from it.

ਬਿਲਮੁ ਨ ਤੂਟਸਿ ਕਾਚੈ ਤਾਗੈ ॥
bilam n thoottas kaachai thaagai ||
The flimsy thread breaks in an instant.

ਜਿਉ ਤਾਗਾ ਜਗੁ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣਹੁ ॥
jio thaagaa jag eaevai jaanahu ||
Know that the world is just like this thread.

ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਚੀਤੁ ਸਾਚਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣਹੁ ॥੧੨॥
asathhir cheeth saach rang maanahu ||12||
Your consciousness shall become steady and stable, enjoying the Love of the True Lord. ||12||

It is the only thing that keeps me from going crazy. And then I can be useful to someone else. :)

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
WOW tuff crowd here!

I wanted to say something along these lines but i guess it came out wrong with a rather clownish post on high-five's.

I think people should have the freedom to do what they want, and what we think is right. The clichés are the ways in which we designate 'appropriate behaviours'. With a tremendous amount of vigor and skill we divide sacred from the profane even with gestures. Dos and Donts from authority irritate me.

What makes an honest reaction?…bowing for the sake of bowing does not accomplish anything…if you want to bow … you should be allowed to bow…if you want to do a high five you should be allowed to do a high five. The cliché is the bow itself…anyone who visits the guru should not feel inclined, mandated or obligated to bow. (but this is not the case)...no other gesture of respect would be as acceptable by the sangat or any other institutional sants/cardinals.

I honestly don’t believe in bowing nor do I think it is a natural inclination of some spiritual mind, by any measure…in fact I view it as the opposite, unnatural. for example, Looking up at the night sky is an extraordinarily humbling spiritual experience that makes many “all tingly inside”…but we or I never bow to the sky nor have I felt week in my limbs while gazing with awe and appreciation.

I think a bow, for most, is more about submission than showing humility. It’s history is so formal and so cold. Ordinary peasants did it when they surrendered to the corrupt authority of kings and nobles. So bowing is still not 'cool' with me even if it is a display of humility … it can just be a symbolic show similar to how pk70 described a high-five, full of some conceit and mostly fear (pascals wager). Humility comes when someone sits down and develops patience and like pk70 said develops curiosity. When humility arrives it will not be distinguishable with grand ritualized symbolic gestures like bowing. It will be far more discrete and will be seen in smaller almost sub-conscious expressions of curiosity, like a question or a peep over the shoulder (that is spirituality). If you were to go up to an idol and give it a great big bear hug, I would be more inclined to call that person spiritually dedicated (but then again even a hug can be superficial just like a bow or a high five).

opinions are opinions

we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Nudge Nudge, wink wink, say no more?

All mankind are not born equal, some are blessed with good sound parenting and raised amidst respectability with moral values and civility to all. Others are born of a malignant underclass, unable to overcome the evil that spawned them, spend life ridiculing and pouring scorn upon the good, noble and tolerant. These malcontents of ignominy, poisoned by the wombs of vile debauchery spawning such miscreants then have the audacity to demand equality and rights whilst in the company of the almost saintly and faithful.

Man deserves no more than he is willing to accord to his fellow man, in his vain conceit, smug knowledge that good rarely react with the same verbose vitriol that he/she themselves dispense with such copious measure they launch hypocritical tirades against the pillars and light bearers of a struggling displaced society. These hounds of hell demand, for their governments their media nurturing has taught them all men have rights, equal rights no matter the disparity of virtue and good deeds done, equality for the sake of equality always at the expense of the good who suffer the vile inconsistent negativity of such vile contingents with such courtesy and moral purpose. The enduring lie and falsehood the evil retains to prosper its own ilk. To each man what he sows, he who sows with love and virtue be respected, they who rant verbiage to affront the sensibilities of the tolerant should be meted with a dose of their own poison. All in the cause of their so favoured ‘’equality’’***.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਸਲੋਕੁ
सलोकु ॥
Salok.
Shalok:

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮਾਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਿਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰਾ
गुरदेव माता गुरदेव पिता गुरदेव सुआमी परमेसुरा ॥
Gurḏev māṯā gurḏev piṯā gurḏev su▫āmī parmesurā.
The Divine Guru is our mother, the Divine Guru is our father; the Divine Guru is our Lord and Master, the Transcendent Lord.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਖਾ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਭੰਜਨੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਬੰਧਿਪ ਸਹੋਦਰਾ
गुरदेव सखा अगिआन भंजनु गुरदेव बंधिप सहोदरा ॥
Gurḏev sakẖā agi▫ān bẖanjan gurḏev banḏẖip sahoḏarā.
The Divine Guru is my companion, the Destroyer of ignorance; the Divine Guru is my relative and brother.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਦਾਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਪਦੇਸੈ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੰਤੁ ਨਿਰੋਧਰਾ
गुरदेव दाता हरि नामु उपदेसै गुरदेव मंतु निरोधरा ॥
Gurḏev ḏāṯā har nām upḏesai gurḏev manṯ niroḏẖarā.
The Divine Guru is the Giver, the Teacher of the Lord's Name. The Divine Guru is the Mantra which never fails.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਾਰਸ ਪਰਸ ਪਰਾ
गुरदेव सांति सति बुधि मूरति गुरदेव पारस परस परा ॥
Gurḏev sāʼnṯ saṯ buḏẖ mūraṯ gurḏev pāras paras parā.
The Divine Guru is the image of peace, truth and wisdom. The Divine Guru is the Philosopher's Stone - touching it, one is transformed.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੋਵਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਜਨੁ ਅਪਰੰਪਰਾ
गुरदेव तीरथु अम्रित सरोवरु गुर गिआन मजनु अपर्मपरा ॥
Gurḏev ṯirath amriṯ sarovar gur gi▫ān majan apramparā.
The Divine Guru is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage, and the pool of divine nectar; bathing in the Guru's wisdom, one experiences the Infinite.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਭਿ ਪਾਪ ਹਰਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਤਿਤ ਪਵਿਤ ਕਰਾ
गुरदेव करता सभि पाप हरता गुरदेव पतित पवित करा ॥
Gurḏev karṯā sabẖ pāp harṯā gurḏev paṯiṯ paviṯ karā.
The Divine Guru is the Creator, and the Destroyer of all sins; the Divine Guru is the Purifier of sinners.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੰਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਉਧਰਾ
गुरदेव आदि जुगादि जुगु जुगु गुरदेव मंतु हरि जपि उधरा ॥
Gurḏev āḏ jugāḏ jug jug gurḏev manṯ har jap uḏẖrā.
The Divine Guru existed in the very beginning, throughout the ages, in each and every age. The Divine Guru is the Mantra of the Lord's Name; chanting it, one is saved.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੇਲਿ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹਮ ਮੂੜ ਪਾਪੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਗਿ ਤਰਾ
गुरदेव संगति प्रभ मेलि करि किरपा हम मूड़ पापी जितु लगि तरा ॥
Gurḏev sangaṯ parabẖ mel kar kirpā ham mūṛ pāpī jiṯ lag ṯarā.
O God, please be merciful to me, that I may be with the Divine Guru; I am a foolish sinner, but holding onto Him, I will be carried across.

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਰਾ ॥੧॥
गुरदेव सतिगुरु पारब्रहमु परमेसरु गुरदेव नानक हरि नमसकरा ॥१॥
Gurḏev saṯgur pārbarahm parmesar gurḏev Nānak har namaskarā. ||1||
The Divine Guru is the True Guru, the Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent Lord; Nanak bows in humble reverence to the Lord, the Divine Guru. ||1||

ਏਹੁ ਸਲੋਕੁ ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਪੜਣਾ
एहु सलोकु आदि अंति पड़णा ॥
Ėhu salok āḏ anṯ paṛ▫ṇā.
Read this Shalok at the beginning, and at the end. ||

Last edited by a moderator:

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Prayer, the daily recitation of mool mantra and bani serves to instil in mankind his purpose and meaning of life and living. It is also a reminder to Parmatma and Waheguru, the giver and sustainer of this life force to guide and lead us from the prevailing wickedness, seemingly insurmountable at times. It is a contract between the pure and upright saintly souls who have entrusted and vested their life path to him, and the moral duty of each being to honour their divine parent and uphold Waheguru’s statutes and doctrines.

This matter of bowing, of prostrating oneself to a deity or Guru is a non issue. ‘’What care I if you bow your head, if you bow not in your heart’’. I think it was spoken by Guru Nanak means for what purpose is a person’s repetitive chanting is he has not fidelity and steadfastness to the Waheguru. Some boast loudly of their good fortune and luck, and voice loudly their prayers, scoff at any who may question them, this is wrong, these scoffers are a hellish breed.

The concept of obescience, of submission, of bowing is I feel not fully understood, and a tad misinterpreted. One is able to bow in faith to the integrity of the Bani, or one bows mind and heart because one understands its living word, its meaning, comprehends the truths and guidance in each pearl. The heart and mind incline naturally towards such moral and spiritual sustenance. Any matter of bowing does not arise. It is a concern only for the souls who lack faith or lack understanding, one or the either. Without these two essential mindsets persons simply pay lip service to something they neither understand nor hold faith of, probably because it conflicts with the knowledge thrown at them from modernists, atheists and the uncultured vultures of peace and order.

These types who lack faith or understanding of the fundamental and deep truth and wisdom of scriptures adhere to the thinking that one should sing praises of a God one neither understands of loves, because if he exists you gain heaven, and if he doesn’t you gain the prestige of being affiliated with the saintly, a veritable Eden in itself. This thinking is baseless and for the aforementioned nouveau educated types who on studying the ants and the grains of sand, cannot require their brains to contemplate matters spiritual and cosmological, a necessity if one seek to attain the ultimate objective of swarg and nirvana that is release from the mortal being and entry into the Supernal Universal Spirit that is Waheguru.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

Well deserved. Some background from forum member Manbir ji

Gurpreet Kaur is the main organizer and conductor for this Group. She manages the music and compositions and training for the other three members of Gurmat Gian Group. At present the singers are Gurpreet Kaur, Keerat Kaur Japjit Kaur and Jasleen Kaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sainty ji

Forgive me if I am wrong about this -- But I don't think Bhagat ji was talking about Guruji ~~~ but about Guru ji meaning something, someone else, not Akaal. There is some goofing around again here on the thread.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
sainty ji

Forgive me if I am wrong about this -- But I don't think Bhagat ji was talking about Guruji ~~~ but about Guru ji meaning something, someone else, not Akaal. There is some goofing around again here on the thread.
Antonia, what do you mean? Please explain.
As for me, I meant what I said and I was serious.

May 24, 2008
I think even Guru ji's are entitled to their opinion.

Have a great day! May Akal shed some light on your soul. :)

Well if Bhagat Singh Ji , if u really meant our SIKH GURUS or Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji then u r probabely I can only pray for you beacuse you r really trying to say something very awkward . We all Sikhs consider Guru Ji to be REVEALING ETERNAL TRUTHS only .

Shabad/Paurhi/Salok [SIZE=-2]Guru Granth Sahib Page 32[/SIZE]
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਕੀਜੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ Keertan List | Go Home
ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ
सिरीरागु महला ३ ॥
Sirīrāg mėhlā 3.
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਕੀਜੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਈ
गुरमुखि क्रिपा करे भगति कीजै बिनु गुर भगति न होई ॥
Gurmukẖ kirpā kare bẖagaṯ kījai bin gur bẖagaṯ na ho▫ī.
By His Grace one becomes Gurmukh, worshipping the Lord with devotion. Without the Guru there is no devotional worship.
ਆਪੈ ਆਪੁ ਮਿਲਾਏ ਬੂਝੈ ਤਾ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋਈ
आपै आपु मिलाए बूझै ता निरमलु होवै सोई ॥
Āpai āp milā▫e būjẖai ṯā nirmal hovai so▫ī.
Those whom He unites with Himself, understand and become pure.
ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਾ ਹੋਈ ॥੧॥
हरि जीउ साचा साची बाणी सबदि मिलावा होई ॥१॥
Har jī▫o sācẖā sācẖī baṇī sabaḏ milāvā ho▫ī. ||1||
The Dear Lord is True, and True is the Word of His Bani. Through the Shabad, we merge with Him. ||1||
ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਭਗਤਿਹੀਣੁ ਕਾਹੇ ਜਗਿ ਆਇਆ
भाई रे भगतिहीणु काहे जगि आइआ ॥
Bẖā▫ī re bẖagṯihīṇ kāhe jag ā▫i▫ā.
O Siblings of Destiny: those who lack devotion-why have they even bothered to come into the world?
ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਕੀਨੀ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
पूरे गुर की सेव न कीनी बिरथा जनमु गवाइआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Pūre gur kī sev na kīnī birthā janam gavā▫i▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
They do not serve the Perfect Guru; they waste away their lives in vain. ||1||Pause||
ਆਪੇ ਜਗਜੀਵਨੁ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸਿ ਮਿਲਾਏ
आपे जगजीवनु सुखदाता आपे बखसि मिलाए ॥
Āpe jagjīvan sukẖ▫ḏāṯa āpe bakẖas milā▫e.
The Lord Himself, the Life of the World, is the Giver of Peace. He Himself forgives, and unites with Himself.
ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਕਿਆ ਵੇਚਾਰੇ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਏ
जीअ जंत ए किआ वेचारे किआ को आखि सुणाए ॥
Jī▫a janṯ e ki▫ā vecẖāre ki▫ā ko ākẖ suṇā▫e.
So what about all these poor beings and creatures? What can anyone say?
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਇ ਵਡਾਈ ਆਪੇ ਸੇਵ ਕਰਾਏ ॥੨॥
गुरमुखि आपे देइ वडाई आपे सेव कराए ॥२॥
Gurmukẖ āpe ḏe▫e vadā▫ī āpe sev karā▫e. ||2||
He Himself blesses the Gurmukh with glory. He Himself enjoins us to His Service. ||2||
ਦੇਖਿ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ਮੋਹਿ ਲੋਭਾਣਾ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ਜਾਈ
देखि कुट्मबु मोहि लोभाणा चलदिआ नालि न जाई ॥
Ḏekẖ kutamb mohi lobẖāṇā cẖalḏi▫ā nāl na jā▫ī.
Gazing upon their families, people are lured and trapped by emotional attachment, but none will go along with them in the end.
ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਗੁਣ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤਿਸ ਦੀ ਕੀਮ ਪਾਈ
सतगुरु सेवि गुण निधानु पाइआ तिस दी कीम न पाई ॥
Saṯgur sev guṇ niḏẖān pā▫i▫ā ṯis ḏī kīm na pā▫ī.
Serving the True Guru, one finds the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence. His Value cannot be estimated.
ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਖਾ ਮੀਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਸਖਾਈ ॥੩॥
हरि प्रभु सखा मीतु प्रभु मेरा अंते होइ सखाई ॥३॥
Har parabẖ sakẖā mīṯ parabẖ merā anṯe ho▫e sakẖā▫ī. ||3||
The Lord God is my Friend and Companion. God shall be my Helper and Support in the end. ||3||
ਆਪਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਕਹੈ ਕਹਾਏ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਆਪੁ ਜਾਈ
आपणै मनि चिति कहै कहाए बिनु गुर आपु न जाई ॥
Āpṇai man cẖiṯ kahai kahā▫e bin gur āp na jā▫ī.
Within your conscious mind, you may say anything, but without the Guru, selfishness is not removed.
ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਦਾਤਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲੁ ਹੈ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਈ
हरि जीउ दाता भगति वछलु है करि किरपा मंनि वसाई ॥
Har jī▫o ḏāṯā bẖagaṯ vacẖẖal hai kar kirpā man vasā▫ī.
The Dear Lord is the Giver, the Lover of His devotees. By His Grace, He comes to dwell in the mind.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਭਾ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਦੇਇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੪॥੧੫॥੪੮॥
नानक सोभा सुरति देइ प्रभु आपे गुरमुखि दे वडिआई ॥४॥१५॥४८॥
Nānak sobẖā suraṯ ḏe▫e parabẖ āpe gurmukẖ ḏe vadi▫ā▫ī. ||4||15||48||
O Nanak, by His Grace, He bestows enlightened awareness; God Himself blesses the Gurmukh with glorious greatness. ||4||15||48||

Regarding the Baani to be a direct revelation from God none other than
Guru Nanak Dev Ji is vouching himself as :

Shabad/Paurhi/Salok [SIZE=-2]Guru Granth Sahib Page 722

ਜੈਸੀ ਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਖਸਮ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਤੈਸੜਾ ਕਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥ Keertan List | Go Home
ਤਿਲੰਗ ਮਹਲਾ
तिलंग महला १ ॥
Ŧilang mėhlā 1.
Tilang, First Mehl:
ਜੈਸੀ ਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਖਸਮ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਤੈਸੜਾ ਕਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
जैसी मै आवै खसम की बाणी तैसड़ा करी गिआनु वे लालो ॥
Jaisī mai āvai kẖasam kī baṇī ṯaisṛā karī gi▫ān ve lālo.
As the Word of the Forgiving Lord comes to me, so do I express it, O Lalo.
ਪਾਪ ਕੀ ਜੰਞ ਲੈ ਕਾਬਲਹੁ ਧਾਇਆ ਜੋਰੀ ਮੰਗੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
पाप की जंञ लै काबलहु धाइआ जोरी मंगै दानु वे लालो ॥
Pāp kī jañ lai kāblahu ḏẖā▫i▫ā jorī mangai ḏān ve lālo.
Bringing the marriage party of sin, Babar has invaded from Kaabul, demanding our land as his wedding gift, O Lalo.
ਸਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦੁਇ ਛਪਿ ਖਲੋਏ ਕੂੜੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
सरमु धरमु दुइ छपि खलोए कूड़ु फिरै परधानु वे लालो ॥
Saram ḏẖaram ḏu▫e cẖẖap kẖalo▫e kūṛ firai parḏẖān ve lālo.
Modesty and righteousness both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader, O Lalo.
ਕਾਜੀਆ ਬਾਮਣਾ ਕੀ ਗਲ ਥਕੀ ਅਗਦੁ ਪੜੈ ਸੈਤਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
काजीआ बामणा की गल थकी अगदु पड़ै सैतानु वे लालो ॥
Kājī▫ā bāmṇā kī gal thakī agaḏ paṛai saiṯān ve lālo.
The Qazis and the Brahmins have lost their roles, and Satan now conducts the marriage rites, O Lalo.
ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨੀਆ ਪੜਹਿ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਕਸਟ ਮਹਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
मुसलमानीआ पड़हि कतेबा कसट महि करहि खुदाइ वे लालो ॥
Musalmānī▫ā paṛėh kaṯebā kasat mėh karahi kẖuḏā▫e ve lālo.
The Muslim women read the Koran, and in their misery, they call upon God, O Lalo.
ਜਾਤਿ ਸਨਾਤੀ ਹੋਰਿ ਹਿਦਵਾਣੀਆ ਏਹਿ ਭੀ ਲੇਖੈ ਲਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ
जाति सनाती होरि हिदवाणीआ एहि भी लेखै लाइ वे लालो ॥
Jāṯ sanāṯī hor hiḏvāṇī▫ā ehi bẖī lekẖai lā▫e ve lālo.
The Hindu women of high social status, and others of lowly status as well, are put into the same category, O Lalo.
ਖੂਨ ਕੇ ਸੋਹਿਲੇ ਗਾਵੀਅਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਤੁ ਕਾ ਕੁੰਗੂ ਪਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥੧॥
खून के सोहिले गावीअहि नानक रतु का कुंगू पाइ वे लालो ॥१॥
Kẖūn ke sohile gavī▫ah Nānak raṯ kā kungū pā▫e ve lālo. ||1||
The wedding songs of murder are sung, O Nanak, and blood is sprinkled instead of saffron, O Lalo. ||1||
ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗਾਵੈ ਮਾਸ ਪੁਰੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਖੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ
साहिब के गुण नानकु गावै मास पुरी विचि आखु मसोला ॥
Sāhib ke guṇ Nānak gāvai mās purī vicẖ ākẖ masolā.
Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord and Master in the city of corpses, and voices this account.
ਜਿਨਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਵਾਈ ਬੈਠਾ ਵੇਖੈ ਵਖਿ ਇਕੇਲਾ
जिनि उपाई रंगि रवाई बैठा वेखै वखि इकेला ॥
Jin upā▫ī rang ravā▫ī baiṯẖā vekẖai vakẖ ikelā.
The One who created, and attached the mortals to pleasures, sits alone, and watches this.
ਸਚਾ ਸੋ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਚੁ ਤਪਾਵਸੁ ਸਚੜਾ ਨਿਆਉ ਕਰੇਗੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ
सचा सो साहिबु सचु तपावसु सचड़ा निआउ करेगु मसोला ॥
Sacẖā so sāhib sacẖ ṯapāvas sacẖṛā ni▫ā▫o kareg masolā.
The Lord and Master is True, and True is His justice. He issues His Commands according to His judgement.
ਕਾਇਆ ਕਪੜੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਹਿਦੁਸਤਾਨੁ ਸਮਾਲਸੀ ਬੋਲਾ
काइआ कपड़ु टुकु टुकु होसी हिदुसतानु समालसी बोला ॥
Kā▫i▫ā kapaṛ tuk tuk hosī hinḏusaṯān samālsī bolā.
The body-fabric will be torn apart into shreds, and then India will remember these words.
ਆਵਨਿ ਅਠਤਰੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਸਤਾਨਵੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਭੀ ਉਠਸੀ ਮਰਦ ਕਾ ਚੇਲਾ
आवनि अठतरै जानि सतानवै होरु भी उठसी मरद का चेला ॥
Āvan aṯẖ▫ṯarai jān saṯānvai hor bẖī uṯẖsī maraḏ kā cẖelā.
Coming in seventy-eight (1521 A.D.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 A.D.), and then another disciple of man will rise up.
ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਆਖੈ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਸੀ ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬੇਲਾ ॥੨॥੩॥੫॥
सच की बाणी नानकु आखै सचु सुणाइसी सच की बेला ॥२॥३॥५॥
Sacẖ kī baṇī Nānak ākẖai sacẖ suṇā▫isī sacẖ kī belā. ||2||3||5||
Nanak speaks the Word of Truth; he proclaims the Truth at this, the right time. ||2||3||5||

[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
is "bowing down" a mere formality or is there a deeper meaning to it ?
IN Gurmatt.."matha tek" (bowing down" is NOT a Formality - it really MEANS..I Leave MY Manmatt and take Your GURMATT. The Panj Piyaras "gave" their heads..we do the same. So a SIKH cannot be "giving" his head to every tom **** and harry - anyway we all have only "1" head..and that belongs to the GURU and GURU ONLY.

2. Its another matter that most "Sikhs" bow down before the GURU....but retain their own Manmatt. That type of bowing can be done to anything..the peepal tree..the fakir samadhee....the Ganesh idol... as it is a mere "formality" only.....no meaning either to the GURU..or the peepal tree...Apradhi doona niveh !! the wrongdoer bows lower than most !! says Gurbani ???? Perhaps thats why we can see "sikhs" bowing all over the place....

3. What is "respect" ?? Is it just lip service....merely bowing..or removing ones hat as in case of the Westerners..as in Church..at funerals..etc. Is "respect"...a desire to genuinely FOLLOW the TEACHINGS....of the one "respected" ?? Gurbani's Namdev states quite bluntly....the Idol is same as the stone step.... those steps people step on their way up the mandir....and the idol sitting inside are the SAME STONE....the Idol maker first holds the idol in his FEET as he fashions it....he steps on it..while making it...the point is an IDOL has NO TEACHINGS....to be followed by the "respecter"...one can bow a few hundred times on each "step" even before entering a mandir..to bow to the idol...its all the same.

4. We "bow" to our parents..grandparents..elders... this is also to show that we FOLLOW their EXAMPLE/TEACHINGS..etc. Sure this can be a mere "formality"...as they say...Jeeondiah maa baap nu rukhi rotinahin dittee..mareh de moohn shudh desi ghee da dabba !! so lots may be just bowing/touching the feet etc simply out of habit..peer pressure..or just because its done....

So there is bowing....... Bowing........ BOWing....... BOWING....B^ow~~ing !!!..take your pick !!!

Personally speaking..I BOW to NO ONE except my GURU. "respect" to others religion/parents etc can be shown in many many other ways....Thus I have no problems going to the mosque..the Mandir..the Buddhist Vihara..the Radha Soami Complex at Beas to see the "MAN"..or to the Church to see the "Son of MAN"..I have been everywhere..BUT Bow only in a GURDWARA where the SGGS is Parkash.:happy:

Gyani jarnail Singh

Jun 1, 2008
Sat shri akal,:D
S.Bhagat singh ji was comparing bowing to idols with that of bowing to elders but to my senses this point is not valid because even elders have knowledge and experience but idols don't have it .So how can you clarify this bhagat ji?

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Elders are as wise and knowledgeable as their life experience has so blessed and graced. The Bani requires interpretation depending upon our understanding of it as we progress through the stages of understanding, emotional maturity and intellectual integrity. Our elders are as the Bani. When we have supplicated hearts and are submitted in spirit to them a gentle glance and touch of their hand upon our heads as a blessing suffices and speaks greater volumes and words than lengthy preaching and storytelling.

Yet when we are angered and have closed our minds and have no wish to hear anything other than a particular truth to break the shackles of anger that encases our mind and will, we do not hear each word wise or ordinate grates upon our nerves because we have no peace of mind and are plagued by anger.

Life is a path of aligning the common consensus with the collective will to the greater good. What makes sense today is insufficient tomorrow. What we cannot comprehend or understand at this juncture becomes clearer when are in a positive frame of mind and amenable to the good words of our elders. It takes greatness of spirit to touch the feet of seniors and elders alike, how one can so polluted with egotistical arrogance and vain concept supplicate ad be so gracious. Life is the ability of each to harmonise in synchronicity with all others about us.

What are idols who set themselves as greater or symbolic of a glory not apparent to all. Modern day idols are money making minions of the media who requires familiar faces and names to gain the attentions of the public. Those who do not bow and pay obescience to this modern harlot are verily destroyed, as we witness. Man cannot serve two masters, the media bows not to God and any affiliated with it become as the seeds of shitaan. Bindranwalle was an idol and a Saint because he sought to free his motherland from the clutches of pillagers and oppressive looters. There are none such valiant able to overcome the monstrosity of modern politics and media to accomplish any worthy cause.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM