• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Apr 23, 2006
SIKHISM
Devotion to Learning

The Sikh scholastic tradition begins with the ten masters, the Gurus (1469 – 1708). The first Master, Guru Nanak was a scholar of religions that formed the intellectual discourse of sixteenth century. Combining the Socratic method of teaching with exquisite poetry, Nanak sought to break down barriers of ignorance by making knowledge accessible to all people – not just the privileged few and not just to men.

The succeeding Gurus contributed with their own learning; assisted by the likes of Bhai Gurdas, the first Sikh historian, and the fifth Guru, Arjan, who in 1604 compiled the Sikh Scripture – eventually known as the Guru Granth. The commitment to ideas such as freedom of conscience and expression was highlighted by the ninth Guru, Tegh Bahadur, who laid down his life to protect these freedoms for Sikhs and non-Sikhs alike.

Sikhs are people of the book – a people of discussion, debate and analysis. By definition (the word “SIKH” derives from “Sishya” or student), Sikhs are committed to life long learning. Being called a Sikh, then, is a right that must be earned. It involves a commitment to a life of spirituality, knowledge and service; a quest for the Ultimate Truth within, which is grounded in humility, nurtured by faith and discovered through a cultivated intellect.

Mar 22, 2006
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa
Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!

Dear Siblings of Destiny,
My name is Sathanuman Singh Khalsa. I was born in Providence, RI on February 17th, 1950. I was born into a devout Christian family. I was very active in the church and once thought I'd like to be a minister. I enlisted in the USAF in 1968. I served honorably for a little over 2 years. During that time I became interested in the non-violent movement for independence in India. That shaped my direction. I met a Gursikh in 1970 and by 1971, I was practicing a very ancient form of yoga called Kundalini from this same teacher. His name is Harbhajan Singh. He was known then as Yogiji. Withing months I was immersed and before long I adopted the spiritual path of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. I was given the name you now see. In 1974, with the assistance of the President of the SGPC, Sardar Gurucharan Singh Tohra and Sardar Hukum Singh, I was initiated into the Khalsa Panth. From that period, Yogiji was also known worldwide to Sikhs and non-Sikhs as Siri Singh Sahib, Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa. In 1974, we received the blessing of our first child, Satpavan Kaur into our family. In 1976, while living in Boston, our second daughter, Siriswami Kaur was born. In 1985, I was given the honor of serving as a Singh Sahib (Minister of Sikh Dharma) and now was well on the path of
Guru Nanak/Guru Gobind Singh. I traveled to UP, India and made the trek to Siri Hemkunt Sahib in the early summer of that same year with my two daughers who were then attending Guru Nanak Fifth Centenary School in Mussoorie. Wah! Cherdi Kala!
In 1999, I was among the 8,000,000 along with my beloved wife, Amrit Kaur, our eldest daughter, and her husband Sarib Singh to attend the 300th anniversary of the Khalsa in Anandpur Sahib. A year later I was invited to Miri Piri Academy to lecture on a part of American History (the Civil War). During that month, I resided at Guru Nanak Niwas in view of Darbar Sahib. To be able to bow my head daily at the feet of Guru Ram Das' home was the fulfillment of my prayers.
In 1998, I was appointed Mukhia Jathedar of Guru Ram Das Gurdwara in Massachusetts. I served there until the fall of 2005, when I relocated to Portland, Oregon. I am 56 years old, have 4 beautiful grand children and feel very blessed to live the life of Khalsa.
Through Guru Nanak/Guru Gobind Singh may Thy Name forever increase and my the Spirit be exalted. May all prosper by Thy Grace.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa
Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!

Dear Sathanuman Singh Khalsa,

visit
I am feeling blessed to read about your life ,and equally blessed that you visited this forum and shared about your life with us

May Akal Bless all of us like you

Jatinder Singh

Mar 22, 2006
Dear Jatinder Singh ji,
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa
Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!
Meher Bani Sadar. This path of the "Saint/Soldier" is a most noble one. This world is enveloped in pain and duality. To know within oneself the reality of the atma and the divinity of one's self, is a most precious gift from God. The Guru has shown our soul how to unite with the Akal Purkha through the Holy Naam. By HIs Grace, we rise in the Amrit Vela and bath. We sing His Holy Name with the Guru's Bani. Yogi Bhajan gave the world a simple practicle way to understand through discipline and meditation. By God's Grace, he arrived in this country and eventually around the world spreading the message Truth and Service through Kundalini yoga and Gurbani. Many, many non-Punjabis and non born Sikhs returned to the feet of the Siri Guru through this humble and fearless saint. He left a legacy of commitment and dignity. He showed souls the way home. He never took credit for the miracle. He gave all to Guru Ram Das. He left us on October 6th, 2004. The message and prohesy of the 10th Master will be realized one day. Our children's children will walk the path of Dharma because of saints like him. I am happy to share my story with you.
Cherdi Kala!

Dear Friends of Sikhphilosphynet,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa wheguru ji ki fateh!
Thank you for allowing me to join this interactive website.I would like to invite members to find ways & means to bring prosparity to Punjab's villages. It will keep them busy ,automatically keep the youth near thier villages & wean them away from various bad habits they are acquiring lately.
Navjit Singh Aulakh

bsingh74

SPNer
Apr 28, 2006
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

I am from the UK and am very interested in learning about sikhism and the path to amrit and beyond. Hoping this site will help me answer my remaining questions.

regards

Gurmeet kaur

SPNer
Oct 17, 2005
Welcome all of you to Spn , I hope you get to know a sikh better from SPN. Its one of its kind site, and i have really benefitted from SPN. thankyou all. Regards
Gurmeet Kaur

Ebucian

SPNer
Apr 30, 2006
Hi my names harinder Singh ... member name ebucian.. Found this great forum about 3 months ago and it has helped me to learn more about the religion that i claimed i was a part of but never realy took time to learn about. Hope to take amrit soon ... but have been sayin that for over a year now.. Still i hope to enjoy my time here on spn and learn more.

Mar 22, 2006
Harinder Singh,
Let the Hand of God work for you. Patience Pays. Everything will come to you when the Lord makes it happen. You can plan and scheme but all your affairs are arranged by the one who controls this universe. You will commit to the Guru by Grace, not by planning.
Cherdi Kala!

Mar 22, 2006
Dear Heather,
welcome to our forum. All are contained within God! The One who created all has brought us to discuss and share our different and diverse views of that same One!
Atheism, Judaism, Deism, or any 'ism' are formed by men to justify their beliefs or non-beliefs. The teachings and way of life of Guru Nanak is a path of commitment, a path of discipline. All are accepted and no one is excluded.
Some of us are born into this way of life, some adopted it, some with drawn to it by their destiny. But is not a philosophy or a belief system.
Knowledge comes from experience. This is a path of humilty, a path of service. We accept that God has many, many Names. We accept that women and men are equal. We accept that all paths eventually lead to the same destination. We all long for Truth. We feel happiness is our birthright. To know that God is the Creator, the Organizer and the Destroyer.
We bow to no one except the Divine Word of God. The Shabd Guru is the embodiment of universal wisdom that unlocks the door and releases the light into the darkness.
You can share your heart here anytime.
Blessings on your soul,

Apr 29, 2006
WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh..
Sadh Sangat Jee..my name is Jagneet Singh..just introducing myself..hope to become and active participant in this forum and hope to bring a lot of positive energy and giaan and as well receive much more in return...thanks
Bhul Chuk Maaf..Chaardi Kalaa

aussiebaron

SPNer
May 1, 2006
Hello All,
My name is Glen and I have only very recently become interested in the Sikh Faith and Philosophy. I am a 59 year old Australian male.
I have visited the same doctor (GP) here in my town for over 20 years. Recently he retired from his practice so I searched for a replacement physician.
Last June (2005) I commenced with a new doctor who is a member of the Sikh Faith. He is impressing me greatly with his behaviour, attitude to others, calmness, and understanding.
Recently, we have discussed, on a very minor level some, questions I have asked him regarding his beliefs. I have found his answers very enlightening, however his words have created more questions for me than answers. Therefore I came to the web and have been reading various web sites since.
This is how I came upon this forum. I will read your messages and discussions with a hungry mind.
Thank you for your kind welcome,
glen (aussiebaron)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Ausiiebaron

Welcome to this forum
/
On this forum we believe that every body is learner /Student(sikh) , so we just share and learn together .
I hope we will share and learn all lot together!

Jatinder Singh

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
Hello All

I am here to learn about Sikh religion and better understand Sikh philosphy and teachings of Guru Granth.

Mar 22, 2006
All are welcome in the House of Guru Nanak. He serves all, blesses all and listens to all. He is the bestower of Gurbani. The Divine Guru spoke and the Akhand Joti (eternal light) was passed to Angad Guru. Then he blessed Amar Das Guru who gave us the Langar. His adopted son Jetha becaome Ram Das. Dhan Dhan Ram Das Guru. He founded the cityof Amritsar. His son Guru Arjan Dev built the Harimandir Sahib as a unique temple of worship. Four doors, four directions, beyond the four castes, open to the four winds. He was sacrificed by the Emporer who gave us the tomb of Mahal (Taj). Then a warrior was born and Miri Piri;s banner was unfurled. Nishan Sahib, the Mark of Grace preceeded the Guru as he traveled to bless the saints. Har Rai was a humble man who felt the connection of all nature. His gentle spirit gave his Sikhs their love of nature. Then a 5 year old Sodhi was bestowed Guruship until the Black Plague shrouded Delhi in Death. He healed the Hindus and left the world at 8. Where to find the next Divine Light of the Akand Joti. In Bakala they discovered Teg Bahdur the the son of Har Gobind and he too would die a great Death for Truth. Liberty was paid for with blood. The remaining Sodhi of Ram Das line was Gobind Rai who now would plan his time when Sikhs would become Lions and shine the light for all to see. This world of Darkness needed a fearless warrior who obeyed the Divine. Now Gobind Singh would usher in the Age of Lion. The age of the warrior/saints.
In his fearless, courageous humility he bowed to the Shabd (the Word) and bestowed Guruship on Granth Sahib. From that time until Infinity, so long as Men and Women of Spirit serve the One, Siri Guru, our constant "Light" of Truth is to be preserved and protected so that light will never go out.

Mahabaratara

SPNer
May 7, 2006
I am a Jat Sikh From England...I have a lots to share and most importantly in humilty lots to learn...I welcome this opportunity to share with Kindred Spirits..

Amarjit Singh Dhesi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: