• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Hello All:

I am a new member here. I love philosophy and consider myself a Vedantin, even though I know a bit about Samkhya, Yoga and Nyaya.

I had an initial question though...in the interfaith dialogue section, there doesnt seem to be a section/forum dedicated to Sanatana Dharma/Vedic philosophy. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks much!

Wundermonk ji, welcomekaur
It is always interesting to hear different perspectives. Feel free to start new threads in the interfaith sections to discuss topics of interest to you. Hope you enjoy your time here gingerteakaur

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I joined in 2009, but due to cancer and ill health have been absent! I am in better health and revitalized and have returned!
I have been a spiritual journeyman since I was 12 and on my travels have explored Christianity, Buddhism, the Bahai Faith(a favorite of mine), Theosophy, Anthroposophy, Rosicrucianism, Paganism and a few others(please excuse spelling mistakes). I have never been able to settle in any one of the aforementioned religions/spiritual paths and now find myself here! Looking forward to my stay here!

I am a believer in reincarnation, have been since 12 yrs old. I look at life on this beautiful planet as a chance to learn, help others, and have fun. I also am a researcher of UFOs and the paranormal(where I live we have plenty of paranormal activity!), enjoy music(from metal-opera-classical-folk), documentaries and conspiracies!

I am a big Bill Hicks fan, so if there are any other Bill Hicks fans please let me know:grinningsingh:

Also, as I am a novice to the Sikh Religion, I'd appreciate any advice as to what books to read/videos to watch.

Zenfunpeaceandjoy ji, welcomekaur I am very pleased to hear about your recovery. Welcome back, I am glad you returned to us.

You may find this thread of interest http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/23183-best-and-worst-sites-on-sikhism.html

Your research sounds interesting!

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Swati ji , i mean Gursikhni ji , following shabad i want to share with you , its also sung by Jaspinder Narula ji japposatnamwaheguru:,

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥
Everything is within the home of the self; there is nothing beyond.

ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥
One who searches outside is deluded by doubt.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
By Guru's Grace, one who has found the Lord within is happy, inwardly and outwardly. ||1||

ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥
Slowly, gently, drop by drop, the stream of nectar trickles down within.

ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
The mind drinks it in, hearing and reflecting on the Word of the Shabad.

ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕਰੇ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
It enjoys bliss and ecstasy day and night, and plays with the Lord forever and ever. ||2||

ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕਾ ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਮਿਲਿਆ ॥
I have now been united with the Lord after having been separated and cut off from Him for so many lifetimes;

ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੂਕਾ ਹਰਿਆ ॥
by the Grace of the Holy Saint, the dried-up branches have blossomed forth again in their greenery.

ਸੁਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਏ ਮੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
I have obtained this sublime understanding, and I meditate on the Naam; as Gurmukh, I have met the Lord. ||3||

ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗੁ ਜਿਉ ਜਲਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
As the waves of water merge again with the water,

ਤਿਉ ਜੋਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥
so does my light merge again into the Light.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਟੇ ਕਿਵਾੜਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਈਐ ਜਉਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੨੬॥
Says Guru Nanak, the veil of illusion has been cut away, and I shall not go out wandering any more. ||4||19||26||

Thanx a lot for the shabad harman jee.. n m not a gursikhni yet:) jst preparing myself to become one...

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Swati ji, welcomekaur
The whole of SPN is a wonderful wealth of information. Please take your time to browse, learn, interact, question and enjoy cheerleader

Gurbani and Sikhi is oxygen to many of us and we are a friendly bunch who love to learn from each other :sippingcoffee:
We are not born into Sikhi but we all grow into it. Sikhi is something to learn and incorporate. It is a lifelong road to travel.....

thanx a lot for the warm welocome...:happykudi:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Hi, Swati ji and welcome!

welcomekaurkaurhug

Shabads are good steps on the road to gursikhnihood. And I personally am very suspicious of anyone calling him/herself a Gursikh.

Gursikh is short for Guru's Sikh so are we not all Gursikhs?!! I consider anyone who is a follower of the Guru Granth Sahib and no other as a Gursikh, no matter where they are on their journey kudihugkaurhugwinkingmunda

imgres

WGJKK-WGJKF PIARE SANGAT JI , FROM URUGUAY, SOUTH AMERICA

Naamsimiran

SPNer
Nov 20, 2011
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fatheh

My name is Sarbjit Kaur. I am a Visual Artist and Educator and at present am doing a MA Research is relation to women and Sikhi.

The title of my MA is: The under-representation of women in Sikh visual culture. This is my starting point. I am sure it will unfold, shift and change as I explore and find out new things. Growing up as a young Sikh girl, I always noticed that in the Gudwaras and at the homes of my Sikh friends and relatives, that women rarely or never were depicted in pictures of Sikhism or in the history of Sikhism. Although things are in fact changing, I want to research herstory and give a visual (and other) presence to the females of Sikhism and those powerful Sikh women today. I want to, by God grace, give Sikh women a voice. You can follow my research at : http://sabbikaur.tumblr.com/

Sat Naam

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fatheh

My name is Sarbjit Kaur. I am a Visual Artist and Educator and at present am doing a MA Research is relation to women and Sikhi.

The title of my MA is: The under-representation of women in Sikh visual culture. This is my starting point. I am sure it will unfold, shift and change as I explore and find out new things. Growing up as a young Sikh girl, I always noticed that in the Gudwaras and at the homes of my Sikh friends and relatives, that women rarely or never were depicted in pictures of Sikhism or in the history of Sikhism. Although things are in fact changing, I want to research herstory and give a visual (and other) presence to the females of Sikhism and those powerful Sikh women today. I want to, by God grace, give Sikh women a voice. You can follow my research at : http://sabbikaur.tumblr.com/

Sat Naam

Sarbjit Bhenji,
I am very glad you have joined us at SPN. I look forward to reading more about your work. Welcome to the SPN family welcomekaur
Good luck with your work. I have deep admiration for your proactive approach. With the Guru's blessing you will do well despite ups and downs on the way. I hope the SPN sangat is able to help you along the way. All the best icecreamkaur (a large helping of Mai ji's special chardi kala ice cream)!

jas221173

SPNer
Jan 19, 2010
lancashire
i have a lot of questions that i dont know the answer to and although i know i will never know everything i m just trying to make myself a better person i try to follow sikhism but do quite often stray from this path. quite often my children who are now teenagers ask me questions regarding my faith which i cannot answer because of my ignorance and hope that on this site i will be able to find some answers that strengthen my belief instead of questions that shake it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: