• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

saruplanda

SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
UK manchester
wahi guru ji ka khalsa, whai guru ji ke fateh,
my name is sarup singh landa i am firm beliver in gursikhi and puran gursikh but no amrit dhari. have lived in the uk for last 53 years in the city of manchester, as part of growing sikh community my intrests are in the guru granth sahib and the rehat maryada of the sikh religion. and wish to discuss gurmat vichars with collegues on the issues which we face day to day in our gurdwaras and in our sikh community
:)

Last edited:

drsambi

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!
I am Dr. Ravinder Singh and I practice Cardiology and Critical Care at National Heart institute, New Delhi. I belong to the family of Kirtaniyas - Baba Jawala Singh Ragi, Bhai Gurcharan Singh Ragi and Bhai Avtar Singh Ragi. Presently this family tradition has been taken up by my Uncle Bhai Kultar Singh ji and my elder cousin Bhai Baldeep Singh ji.

Feb 23, 2012
:swordfight-kudiyan::swordfight-kudiyan:

I am kalpan sharma from punjab , I am presently working in a designer in web . I have been the member of this group since today but have not posted any article. whenever i get time i look into the articles posted it this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
My dear Sikh brothers and sisters peacesignkaur(aww that is such a cute little smilie lol)

I am a British Roman Catholic Christian who has always had a deep interest in Sikhism. I admire many of the teachings of the faith (Ie the opposition to the caste system, equality of men and women, religious tolerance) which I consider to have been very much ahead of its time when it was first preached by Guru Nanak.

I have spent a long time of recent on a Baha'i forum, where I made many friends, before joining a Hindu forum and so on.

I have a burning love for all my brothers and sisters no matter what they're faith and I hope that I make myself at home here,

May God Bless and keep you all peacesignkaur

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
:swordfight-kudiyan::swordfight-kudiyan:

I am kalpan sharma from punjab , I am presently working in a designer in web . I have been the member of this group since today but have not posted any article. whenever i get time i look into the articles posted it this site.

Hotels in Panchkula
kalpana ji welcome and just a wonderful song from way back from a film Kalpana to welcome you further (I don't think external URLs are allowed but to me seems innocent enough and actually helpful)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IUjYjIhXMnk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

</object>
I suppose Panchkula is dee place :sippingcoffeemunda:.

Take care and welcome again.

Last edited:

saruplanda

SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
UK manchester
My dear Sikh brothers and sisters peacesignkaur(aww that is such a cute little smilie lol)

I am a British Roman Catholic Christian who has always had a deep interest in Sikhism. I admire many of the teachings of the faith (Ie the opposition to the caste system, equality of men and women, religious tolerance) which I consider to have been very much ahead of its time when it was first preached by Guru Nanak.

I have spent a long time of recent on a Baha'i forum, where I made many friends, before joining a Hindu forum and so on.

I have a burning love for all my brothers and sisters no matter what they're faith and I hope that I make myself at home here,

yes you are at home, sikhism embraces people of all religions and beliefs. guru nanak dev ji, not only preached humanity but also equality between diffrent cast and creeds and above all equality between male and female genders.

guru gobind singh ji, the tenth master of the sikhs, when he initiated the Khalsa panth in 1699 and gave his five beloved sikhs Amrit, he also gave them new names:- singh (lion) to men and Kour (princess) to women and created the Khalsa brotherhood

ginny

SPNer
Feb 29, 2012
Hi SPNers,
I am a Sikh St John Ambulance volunteer member and I really relate to Bhai Kaniya in Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time where he did what he could for the injured regardless of their allegiences. Now I am helping the sikh cadets of our Unit and I want them to know about more inspirational Sikh Leaders including those of modern times.
I can get them to research about Bhai Puran Singh and his Pingalwara Mission, but I was hoping to find out even more so that the kids can see how "sewa" is part of these amazing people's lives.
Can you signpost me to where I can get information about great Sikh Leaders who can help the Sikh youth feel the pride in being a Sikh. Are there any femail leaders SPNers would recommend we can learn about, and do people have any information on these?

I would be greatful for your thoughts.
:swordfight-kudiyan:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Hi everybody, I've been a Taoist for about four years now. It's been amazing for my spirituality and my well being. However, I wouldn't consider it a full religion per say, it is more of a spiritual philosophy. I first became interested in Sikhism when I saw a documentary on Nat. Geo. about India. The host went to an area that was mostly Sikh and had someone show him around. I really appreciated the kindness and compassion of the locals, while at the same time, all the men he talked seemed very tough, with many of them being soldiers. It seemed they possessed the mindset of "live and let live", while at the same time, they lacked the pacifism that you see Buddhism. The most striking however, was that during the documentary, the Sikh area was the only one where the local Muslim and Hindu population seemed to be integrated with the community and treated as equals. All of the local Sikh get togethers that were featured had Hindus and Muslims partaking and being treated as if they were fully apart of the community, nobody seemed to even notice that they were dressed differently. I thought this was simply amazing after watching the first hour of the documentary, where the local religious minority always looked segregated and unhappy.

Anyway, the concept of God which Sikhism teaches seems to be the one which I already hold, That God is the source of all life and the creator of of everything. I wish to find a religion because I need an outlet to pray to god and a system of morals to pass down to my kids if I ever have any. Regards,

ClearMind

Clear Mind ji,
A very warm welcome welcomekaur
Hope you are enjoying exploring more. I'm glad your 1st experience of Sikhs has been a positive one :grinningkudi:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Sat Sri Akaal to all.
I am new to this and am a keen learner. I am from the so called washed out 3rd generation of anglo-sikhs. I am 39 yrs age and my grandparents moved to UK in late 1940's. my father was also born in the UK like me. With the few indian friends I had even at a young age, I knew then that I was a generation or 2 ahead but was behind in cultural values.
Most of the punjabis I knew that I grew up with have lost their cultural values and have mixed marriages etc. I have tried very hard to stay attached to sikhism and am very thankful for the media and internet that make learning sikhi so much easier for someone like me that has difficulty translating/understanding gurmukhi.
I now live in Vancouver, Canada and love the strong influence the sikh community has here compared to the UK for my children. I know that some are very critical of gora sikhs but I must say that over here in North America I have been amazed at how much someone like me can learn and progress from white sikhs and majority of young sikh youths. I feel very dedicated to learn as much and to live the way of life in the Khalsa way. I hope that I can learn and correct my path with the help of fellow sikhs from around the globe.

Lucky Singh ji,
welcomekaur It is good to see you so active on the forum. Culture and religion are completely separate and the 2 should not be confused. We all have our own journey-good luck on yours gingerteakaur

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Sat Sri Akal and hello everyone!

I've just started my search for Truth and desire to understand the true meaning of Gurbani. A lot of your articles are very interesting and inspiring so I'm hoping this forum will help me find the the truth that we are (supposedly) looking for

regards

A warm welcome welcomekaur

The whole of SGGS is the truth!! Hope you are enjoying exploring an interacting on SPN

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have been living in canada for the past 50 years, and I am a retired educator and a psychotherapist, and I have been retired for the past 17 years, I lead a very laidback life, live in a small city in nova scotia. I am very blessed and fortunate to be healthy and happy.

A most hearty welcome! welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaur

I especially like it when people older than me join in and most especially people with a chardi kala attitude.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
My name is Pahul Singh Gill. I am year 7 student and joined this forum to know about Sikhism. My dad encouraged me to join this forum and he wants to see my frequent visits here as he believes this forum is a Sikhism treasure of knowledge. I hope will know about Sikhism in this forum. My sat shiri akaal to everybody

Sikhism is all about education. Hope to learn as much from you as you do from us :singhbhangra:welcomekaur:whatzpointsing:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

A very warm welcome. I am glad you to see you interacting so much here. It is always interesting and welcome to have alternative opinions. I love learning from other people and other backgrounds :thumbsuppp:welcomekaur

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Hi SPNers,
I am a Sikh St John Ambulance volunteer member and I really relate to Bhai Kaniya in Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time where he did what he could for the injured regardless of their allegiences. Now I am helping the sikh cadets of our Unit and I want them to know about more inspirational Sikh Leaders including those of modern times.
I can get them to research about Bhai Puran Singh and his Pingalwara Mission, but I was hoping to find out even more so that the kids can see how "sewa" is part of these amazing people's lives.
Can you signpost me to where I can get information about great Sikh Leaders who can help the Sikh youth feel the pride in being a Sikh. Are there any femail leaders SPNers would recommend we can learn about, and do people have any information on these?

I would be greatful for your thoughts.
:swordfight-kudiyan:

Gurfateh Ginny ji,
welcomekaurwelcomekaur I was once a St Johns Ambulance cadet too and have very fond memories of my time there. The skills I learnt have never left me! Here are some threads I hope you will enjoy :grinningkaur:
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/business-and-lifestyle/22488-kaur-power.html
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-foundation/37748-great-sikh-women-2012-sikh-arts.html

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Sat Sri Akal to one and all!
You're probably wondering (some of you are definitely wondering) about my double-barreled adherent marking. I was born a Jew, and have spent the past half of my life as an Orthodox Jew. Up until several years ago my knowledge of Sikhi was no different from that of anyone else I knew - absolutely nothing. Ironically, it was Jewish meditation and an on-line search of meditation techniques that jump started my acquaintance with the world's youngest major religious group.

It started out as a brief overview, but I now find it to be an ever deepening fascination and love for a path that speaks to the deepest parts of me. Had Sikhi - at its present stage of development - been around when I was searching for a connection to God so many years ago ... well, I don't think there's much doubt as to how I would have chosen then.

But now here I am, with a large family and a tight community, living in Israel with no face-to-face access to any Sikhs (other than the present Indian ambassador!). These dynamics require me to live a double life, and this one is secret. For different but equally heartfelt reasons I really can't see giving up either identity, and if the day when I'm forced to make a choice never comes ... I guess the Beit Din shel Ma'ala (The Heavenly Tribunal) and the Great Judge of Dharma will have to go into conference and find a way to work it out for me. Meanwhile, thanks for the pleasant company along the way!:blueturban::)

welcomekaur Awakenad Singh ji,
I love your name and especially love the avatar! Sounds like an interesting and exhausting life. Thanks for giving us your company along the way

saruplanda

SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
UK manchester
welcomekaurwelcomekaur
Awakenad Singh ji,
I love your name and especially love the avatar! Sounds like an interesting and exhausting life. Thanks for giving us your company along the way

gurfateh,
welcome to sikhism, i am glad that you have found the true way at last through sikism
you dont have to be asikh to belive in sikhi because guru nanak teaches his sikh to be a good human being, in no way sikh religion is condoned on anyone but only of their free will.
beliving in God and finding a true path of life is most valued in sikhism. diffrent ways of praying and beliving in ones faith is the path to reachiing God, no matter who you praye to or what faith one belongs to, the goal is always the same
wish you all the best and good luck in your meditation:singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: