• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Losing My Religion: Why I'm Raising My Child To Believe In Science, Not God

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
No one seen God no one talked with God. Yet we believe in it and worship. Is that the act of intelligent people?

ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਸਦ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਤਿਨ ਕੰਉ ਰਖਣਹਾਰਾ
जिन कै हरि नामु वसिआ सद हिरदै हरि नामो तिन कंउ रखणहारा ॥
Jin kai har nām vasi▫ā saḏ hirḏai har nāmo ṯin kaʼn▫u rakẖaṇhārā.
Those whose hearts are forever filled with the Name of the Lord, have the Name of the Lord as their Protector.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਮਾਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਖਾਈ ਮਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ
हरि नामु पिता हरि नामो माता हरि नामु सखाई मित्रु हमारा ॥
Har nām piṯā har nāmo māṯā har nām sakẖā▫ī miṯar hamārā.
The Lord's Name is my father, the Lord's Name is my mother; the Lord's Name is my helper and friend.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਗਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਮਸਲਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਨਿਤ ਸਾਰਾ
हरि नावै नालि गला हरि नावै नालि मसलति हरि नामु हमारी करदा नित सारा ॥
Har nāvai nāl galā har nāvai nāl maslaṯ har nām hamārī karḏā niṯ sārā.
My conversation is with the Lord's Name, and my counseling is with the Lord's Name; the Lord's Name always takes care of me.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਅਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੁਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਵਾਰਾ
हरि नामु हमारी संगति अति पिआरी हरि नामु कुलु हरि नामु परवारा ॥
Har nām hamārī sangaṯ aṯ pi▫ārī har nām kul har nām parvārā.
The Lord's Name is my most beloved society, the Lord's Name is my ancestry, and the Lord's Name is my family.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੰਉ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਸਦਾ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ॥੧੫॥
जन नानक कंउ हरि नामु हरि गुरि दीआ हरि हलति पलति सदा करे निसतारा ॥१५॥
Jan Nānak kaʼn▫u har nām har gur ḏī▫ā har halaṯ palaṯ saḏā kare nisṯārā. ||15||
The Guru, the Lord Incarnate, has bestowed upon servant Nanak the Name of the Lord; in this world, and in the next, the Lord ever saves me. ||15||

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Worship? hmmmmm Do we actually worship God? No, I don't think we do, We cherish and connect with living energy, in much the same way as the Jedi.

For a start, the word God has so many Abrahamic leanings that it is hard to embrace the concept or the word in Sikhism. As for worship, Sikhs connect, they do not worship, my own thoughts..............

If it look like DUCK walk like DUCK quack like DUCK
It sure is DUCK

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada

ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਸਦ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਤਿਨ ਕੰਉ ਰਖਣਹਾਰਾ
जिन कै हरि नामु वसिआ सद हिरदै हरि नामो तिन कंउ रखणहारा ॥
Jin kai har nām vasi▫ā saḏ hirḏai har nāmo ṯin kaʼn▫u rakẖaṇhārā.
Those whose hearts are forever filled with the Name of the Lord, have the Name of the Lord as their Protector.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਮਾਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਖਾਈ ਮਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ
हरि नामु पिता हरि नामो माता हरि नामु सखाई मित्रु हमारा ॥
The Lord's Name is my father, the Lord's Name is my mother; the Lord's Name is my helper and friend.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਗਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਮਸਲਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਨਿਤ ਸਾਰਾ
हरि नावै नालि गला हरि नावै नालि मसलति हरि नामु हमारी करदा नित सारा ॥
My conversation is with the Lord's Name, and my counseling is with the Lord's Name; the Lord's Name always takes care of me.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਅਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੁਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਵਾਰਾ
हरि नामु हमारी संगति अति पिआरी हरि नामु कुलु हरि नामु परवारा ॥
Har nām hamārī sangaṯ aṯ pi▫ārī har nām kul har nām parvārā.
The Lord's Name is my most beloved society, the Lord's Name is my ancestry, and the Lord's Name is my family.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੰਉ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਸਦਾ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ॥੧੫॥
जन नानक कंउ हरि नामु हरि गुरि दीआ हरि हलति पलति सदा करे निसतारा ॥१५॥
Jan Nānak kaʼn▫u har nām har gur ḏī▫ā har halaṯ palaṯ saḏā kare nisṯārā. ||15||
The Guru, the Lord Incarnate, has bestowed upon servant Nanak the Name of the Lord; in this world, and in the next, the Lord ever saves me. ||15||

Maybe some people do not understand what is seeing with eyes and feeling touch.
What people are saying is poetry. It is not real thing.
I have not seen God I am not afraid to admit that I have not seen God.

Why people beating around the bush. Stop living in past live now.

Then again who am I to guide people who do not want to know.
The fault is in me not with people.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
But you have seen "God" seekr3k ji, or at least you have seen the "Har" of the shabad. You have seen "Har" every time you feel the warmth of the sun, or marvel at the coloration of flowers, or look into the smile of a child.

I do not know at this point who is posting to whom here; I assume you are replying to Kanwaljit ji and the shabad he quoted. In this shabad no god is named. Instead the shabad speaks of "Har" who is not personified as a "God" in the usual way we speak of any god. Har cannot be represented in the form of a god/idol because Har has every conceivable form and forms that we cannot even imagine.

Har is called Lord of the Universe because Har names the connectedness among all living energies, and can refer to any of the forces at work that keep the universe in play. Har names the divine, which has as many forms as we find in the universe, in the light, shadows, color, temperatures, rocks, sky, plants, animals.

In connecting with the shabad one connects with the Har and through this connection all sense of separation and anxiety is lost when a person realizes how even he or she is part of that miracle of creation. Har!

So you said earlier: If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it is a duck ...it is Har.

Last edited:

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WGJKFWGJK

Plenty of people out there have a deep commitment to BOTH science and religion it has never stopped the Singh who is now thanx to the Open University is now studying Astro physics. Just go though SGGSji for all the references to planets,stars,galaxies the universe etc.

If you choose science over Guruji then fine i will respect your views as long as you keep it to yourselve and not impose it on me

:happysingh:

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
WGJKFWGJK

Plenty of people out there have a deep commitment to BOTH science and religion it has never stopped the Singh who is now thanx to the Open University is now studying Astro physics. Just go though Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jiji for all the references to planets,stars,galaxies the universe etc.

If you choose science over Guruji then fine i will respect your views as long as you keep it to yourselve and not impose it on me

:happysingh:

I know Nanak said lakh agasa agas what that explain about universe? Nothing.
It is like saying this sea is so deep that there is no bottom. My friend now we know there is bottom of sea. What Nanak said has been written in vedas.
If he would have said that earth is going around it self and around sun then I can believe that he knew about universe.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
SSA

In my search of God in early 70’s I want all over in India. Went to gurdwaras but not hemkund. I know that is fake gurdwara so why waste time.
I my talking discussing about religions.
All religions believe in hell, heaven. It is strange that the SPN group is the only group who do not believe in it. Every Sikh I talked with believes in it and believes in reincarnation. SPN do not. It is their own belief that there is no hell or heaven.
Does it mean the whole world is wrong?

Ok no hell no heaven when one dies soul merge in bigger soul. It means every one will go in same place. That is very good. I don’t have to read SGGS nor I have to listen to kertan (which most don’t understand). So no worry just lives and be happy.

Wait a minute isn’t it what I am already doing?

Thanks for setting me free from all the rituals.

Aisha

SPNer
Oct 12, 2012
SSA

What do we know about God? We know nothing at all. No one seen God no one talked with God. Yet we believe in it and worship. Is that the act of intelligent people?

I disagree Seeker3k ji, I see God every day. Sounds to me like your version of God is what can be found in the Bible and Qur'an, but not in SGGS Ji. What is God to you? Remember that God, in Sikhi, is formless. What qualities do you associate with Waheguru Ji? If Gurbani says that we're all a part of the Creator, and that there is only One, then wherever you find those qualities, you find Waheguru.

SSA

In my search of God in early 70’s I want all over in India. Went to gurdwaras but not hemkund. I know that is fake gurdwara so why waste time.

Interesting Seeker3k Ji, I was under the impression that Sikhi came into existence to get rid of those foolish beliefs:

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ माझ महला ५ ॥
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ सभ किछु घर महि बाहरि नाही ॥
Everything is within the home of the self; there is nothing beyond.

ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥ बाहरि टोलै सो भरमि भुलाही ॥
One who searches outside is deluded by doubt.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥ गुर परसादी जिनी अंतरि पाइआ सो अंतरि बाहरि सुहेला जीउ ॥१॥ ||1||
By Guru's Grace, one who has found the Lord within is happy, inwardly and outwardly. ||1||

ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥ झिमि झिमि वरसै अम्रित धारा ॥

Slowly, gently, drop by drop, the stream of nectar trickles down within.

ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥ मनु पीवै सुनि सबदु बीचारा ॥
The mind drinks it in, hearing and reflecting on the Word of the Shabad.

ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕਰੇ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥ अनद बिनोद करे दिन राती सदा सदा हरि केला जीउ ॥२॥ ||2||
It enjoys bliss and ecstasy day and night, and plays with the Lord forever and ever. ||2||

ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕਾ ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਮਿਲਿਆ ॥ जनम जनम का विछुड़िआ मिलिआ ॥

I have now been united with the Lord after having been separated and cut off from Him for so many lifetimes;

ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੂਕਾ ਹਰਿਆ ॥ साध क्रिपा ते सूका हरिआ ॥
by the Grace of the Holy Saint, the dried-up branches have blossomed forth again in their greenery.

ਸੁਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਏ ਮੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥ सुमति पाए नामु धिआए गुरमुखि होए मेला जीउ ॥३॥ ||3||
I have obtained this sublime understanding, and I meditate on the Naam; as Gurmukh, I have met the Lord. ||3||

ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗੁ ਜਿਉ ਜਲਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥ जल तरंगु जिउ जलहि समाइआ ॥
As the waves of water merge again with the water,

ਤਿਉ ਜੋਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥ तिउ जोती संगि जोति मिलाइआ ॥
so does my light merge again into the Light.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਟੇ ਕਿਵਾੜਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਈਐ ਜਉਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੨੬॥ कहु नानक भ्रम कटे किवाड़ा बहुड़ि न होईऐ जउला जीउ ॥४॥१९॥२६॥ ||4||19||26||
Says Nanak, the veil of illusion has been cut away, and I shall not go out wandering any more. ||4||19||26||

I would just like to know, how much time did you spend searching for God in your own Home?

I my talking discussing about religions.
All religions believe in hell, heaven. It is strange that the SPN group is the only group who do not believe in it. Every Sikh I talked with believes in it and believes in reincarnation. SPN do not. It is their own belief that there is no hell or heaven.
Does it mean the whole world is wrong?

Ok no hell no heaven when one dies soul merge in bigger soul. It means every one will go in same place. That is very good. I don’t have to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji nor I have to listen to kertan (which most don’t understand). So no worry just lives and be happy.

Wait a minute isn’t it what I am already doing?

Thanks for setting me free from all the rituals.

As for this part, I will copy and paste something from one of my earlier posts, I feel it is relevant:

"Well, my reply to that would be that you don't HAVE to do anything! Everyone is free to live their life the way they want to, Sikhi isn't about forcing your beliefs onto anyone else, it is about respecting individual freedoms and choices. Seeker3k Ji, if you think that Naam Simran is a waste of time, then don't do it. If you think that studying holy books is a waste of time, you are free to do something else. Every being is promised two things: a birth, and a death. Life is an ocean. All of us are going to cross it. How you get to the other side is up to you. You may go through the trouble of swimming across if you have exceptionally bad luck. You may get a canoe and try to paddle your way across on your own, although there is no guarantee that it will be a smooth journey. Line 2, Page 20 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says "O Nanak, the Boat of Truth will ferry you across; contemplate the Guru." This option requires you to give yourself to the Guru, get on the Gurus boat, sit back and relax. The Gurus boat has a headlight, it has a radar and a map. Come with your head in your hands. Going down the path of the Guru means that you connect with your soul/consciousness, and listen to your conscience. There is only One Truth, you must live this Truth everyday, and that is much easier said than done. The consciousness is perfect, the body is not. It is a constant battle, but the Guru, through Gurbani, gives you the shield, armor and sword you need to win the war. Whether you ever use those tools is completely up to you."

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
If it look like DUCK walk like DUCK quack like DUCK
It sure is DUCK

Ok, so God is a duck, suits me, Ive heard worse, and what is it that this duck does that makes him walk like a duck and quack? it is the promise of forgiveness and salvation, for eternity.

So there is your duck in a nutshell, does the energy that I believe in, that I have faith in, behave in any way like a duck, no it does not, I think the lady protesteth too much, maybe you have got bored of no rituals, of not being able to worship idols, of not having your own personal Jesus, and you want someone to convince you that Sikhism can give you all that instead of the pragmatic and realistic benefits, there are plenty of other forums that will give it to you, but nothing that you say has any disagrement, we all agree, the lady doth protest too much

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I will repeat myself.

There is a Creator who created everything (except Itself which is eternal beyond Its creation).

When this Creator created the universe, It made it to run in a particular way, according to certain rules that we call Natural Law.

We call the Creator God.

We call our attempts to discover and codify Natural Law, Science.

There can be no contradiction between God and Science.

If there is an apparent contradiction, that shows our lack of understanding. :kaurfacepalm:

I love you all. Quack.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
isnt it strange..Guru nanak ji went to tell the Sidhs in their Himalayan caves that God is not found in caves...and Seeker Ji went to Gurdwaras..God is not found there either..He is everywhere..the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tells us that..

By saying what you said you must have seen Gd can you please tell me where can I find God. No bush that he is in side and he is every where Tell it that u seen him and talked with him.
If you dont know then keep mouth shut

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
By saying what you said you must have seen Gd can you please tell me where can I find God. No bush that he is in side and he is every where Tell it that u seen him and talked with him.

My My..what anger jios... must have touched a really raw nerve.. maybe just my opinion..but "anger" is no way to SEEK.....If i am not mistaken somebody said.."Seek and you will find"..but get ANGRY and you will find is not the way..

I need not shout/or shut up..the SGGS speaks VOLUMES about The CREATOR..the karta Purakh....where He is..how he looks like..what he does...etc etc..( The Creator of Sggs doesnt hide inside bushes..or burn them..or pelt towns with hail stones or volcanic ash or split oceans..NO JIos..NO that is NOT the Creator in SGGS..).

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Now this is where the word 'God' lets us down as Sikhs. There are too many Abrahamic leanings, after all God lives in heaven, however, as I feel you have confused yourself with the word, I will stick with it.

I saw God this morning, I opened my eyes and God was asleep, I got up, went down, and opened the living room door, there was God, again, this time he spoke to me, 'woof woof' he said, so I fed God, after which, I got dressed, and drove to work, I saw God again, and again, and again, sitting by a bus stop dressed in rags, looking for food in bins, and driving a brand new XJ (some people have no taste..),

You see there is this mistaken conception that God exists to listen to us and help us, when the reality is that we exist to listen to God and help him.

Now theres a turnaround, instead of looking for bushes and firing repeated requests for more, just open your eyes, your ears, and listen, you can hear God straight away, and he always wants something......consonance.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
isnt it strange..Guru nanak ji went to tell the Sidhs in their Himalayan caves that God is not found in caves...and Seeker Ji went to Gurdwaras..God is not found there either..He is everywhere..the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tells us that..

Nanak did not go to sidhs in their caves. The mela was organised every year for didhs and non sidhd to converse. Sidhs and Nanak had argument (gosht). What was exchanged in that conversation no one knows.No third Independence person recorded the debate. After the debate Nanak went to his home and sidh went to their place.Nanak composed the poem by asking question to him self and answer himself too. Sidhs still living in those caves. They have not stopped doing meditation. Nanak had two meeting with them.
Monitor your self if u debate with some one and go home after. You will not remember every word. If you have to tell some one about the debate. You will make up nice stories. The other person will make up his own story. Which one is right?

I have another question maybe i should start new thread?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Nanak did not go to sidhs in their caves. The mela was organised every year for didhs and non sidhd to converse. Sidhs and Nanak had argument (gosht). What was exchanged in that conversation no one knows.No third Independence person recorded the debate. After the debate Nanak went to his home and sidh went to their place.Nanak composed the poem by asking question to him self and answer himself too. Sidhs still living in those caves. They have not stopped doing meditation. Nanak had two meeting with them.
Monitor your self if u debate with some one and go home after. You will not remember every word. If you have to tell some one about the debate. You will make up nice stories. The other person will make up his own story. Which one is right?

I have another question maybe i should start new thread?

Thas an overly simplified version..and assumes too much.
Bhai gurdass ji tells us that Guru nanak ji always carried a Kitab with him...to record and write down...and to call the Gurbani just a poem..is too simplified..we sikhs call it Dhur Ki bani..direct from the ONE many have sought..BUT failed to find.
In Sidh Ghosht Guru ji NAMES the Sidhs who asked the questions...now it would be very dishonest to ask ones-self and name others ?? Guru is the epitime of honesty..He woudlnt do that trick.

You should and could start as many threads as possible..no limit imposed.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Thas an overly simplified version..and assumes too much.
Bhai gurdass ji tells us that Guru nanak ji always carried a Kitab with him...to record and write down...and to call the Gurbani just a poem..is too simplified..we sikhs call it Dhur Ki bani..direct from the ONE many have sought..BUT failed to find.
In Sidh Ghosht Guru ji NAMES the Sidhs who asked the questions...now it would be very dishonest to ask ones-self and name others ?? Guru is the epitime of honesty..He woudlnt do that trick.

You should and could start as many threads as possible..no limit imposed.

I am not saying Nanak did not write. He wrote but he wrote after the debate with sidhs.

Bhai Gurdas was not there he never met Nanak. Bhi Gurdad wrote in his var that nirakar vese shashkhand? How can who have no akar can stay in shachkhand? Is there a place called sachkhand?

In the mool mantar Nanak made it clear that God have no akar. So these people claiming they saw God, what did they see?

Either they are wrong or Nanak was wrong which one?

Last edited:

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
My My..what anger jios... must have touched a really raw nerve.. maybe just my opinion..but "anger" is no way to SEEK.....If i am not mistaken somebody said.."Seek and you will find"..but get ANGRY and you will find is not the way..

I need not shout/or shut up..the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji speaks VOLUMES about The CREATOR..the karta Purakh....where He is..how he looks like..what he does...etc etc..( The Creator of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji doesnt hide inside bushes..or burn them..or pelt towns with hail stones or volcanic ash or split oceans..NO JIos..NO that is NOT the Creator in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji..).

SSA
When some one say shut your mouth or keep your mouth shut there is difference in both. One is with anger or is just telling to be quiet.

You picked the anger. Person choose the meaning what is his own feeling.
Any way I am sorry if I offended you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM