• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Help Please! Trapped Between My In-law's Beliefs And Mine

Oct 16, 2009
well since sikhs consider hairs as part of their body why shouldn't they cover their hairs like rest of the body:D
wearing a turban was held high in the indian culture and the governments ordered the removal of turban as a punishment to some.
i really would love to wear a turban but most of the time when i try i fail or end up on having a turban of the style of sikh soldiers of infantry divisions of British Indian army.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
wearing a turban was held high in the indian culture and the governments ordered the removal of turban as a punishment to some.

This makes sense -- in fact it clears up my personal confusion in an earlier post. The importance of dastar -- I never thought of it this way -- comes in some part from efforts to take it away forcibly from the populace of Guru Nanak's time as a way of imposing political and social disparities. That would explain why it acquired its political and spiritual importance to the Sikh identity.

raminder40

SPNer
May 25, 2010
Dear Guru di beti jio,

First of all congratulations on the daat of bhachangi.May he be blessed with Guru's love always.

Today in many sikh families you come across the situation as similar to the one narrated by you where youngsters are not comfortable with sikhi-swaroop and practices and parents give-in to the sentimental and emotional black-mailing by their own kids.It is here that the role of parents and elders of the family is more important but since you have a different mindset of elders and your spouse in your house,still your determination can play an important role in the formation of your son's future as per your liking.

Have faith in Guru and be positive in your approach lest the ideas and thaughts of others can influence the young one.You and YOU can make the difference.:thumbsupp:

Raminder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM