Gurmukhi >>> English (literal Translation) | Sikh Philosophy Network
  • Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurmukhi >>> English (literal Translation)

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam

I am wondering if there is a website which has a tool to help me know the literal translation of the Gurmukhi & Romanized transliteration into English for Sri Guru Granth Sahib and/or Nitnem, popular shabads, etc..

A literal word for word translation would help me a lot in learning.

kaurhug

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam

Thank you, Ranadip ji.

I'm also wondering if any concordances exist of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

cheerleader

Ishna

Enthusiast
Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Www.srigranth.org has a function where you can click on words to look them up in a dictionary. Not all words are listed though. You have to dig for root words. You might like to invest in a Punjabi language book for some background. If you find a word for word site please share it.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat nam

As always, thank you, Ishna ji.

I found a used copy of the Nikky Gurinder Kaur Singh gender neutral translation online and got it two nights ago. I love it. :thumbsupp:

In fact, I'm about to get offline for the evening and recite it now.

So much has fallen in to place in the past couple weeks. I can't believe its only been two weeks. I feel so blessed that I heeded the calling I felt.

I spoke with a Sikh woman who lives about an hour away from here (the 2 closest gurdwaras are both an hour away which is a huge distance since I don't drive, but at least its doable now and then). Wish there was one close by.

But anyway, the woman and I discussed Sikh vows which is something I am hoping to do. I have also received a Sikh spiritual name and it is another profound event for me. I feel its vibration with me, strengthening me and guiding me.

:tablakudi:

<3

Www.srigranth.org has a function where you can click on words to look them up in a dictionary. Not all words are listed though. You have to dig for root words. You might like to invest in a Punjabi language book for some background. If you find a word for word site please share it.

Ishna

Enthusiast
Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
SPNAdmin ji shared this link some time ago on another thread.

http://www.sadhsangat.com/

This is Rawel Singh Ji's blog which apparently started out about comparative religion but has developed into a page-by-page translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with extrapolations. His English translation includes some Gurbani words throughout so you can get an idea on meanings.

Example:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji pp 546-548, Bihaagrra M: 5, Chants 7-9.

ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਛੰਤ ॥ ਅਨ ਕਾਏ ਰਾਤੜਿਆ ਵਾਟ ਦੁਹੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਪਾਪ ਕਮਾਵਦਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਬੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥
Bihāgaṛā mėhlā 5 cẖẖanṯ. An kā▫e rāṯ▫ṛi▫ā vāt ḏuhelī rām. Pāp kamāvḏi▫ā ṯerā ko▫e na belī rām.

Composition (chhant) with stanzas of six lines each, by the fifth Guru. O mortal, one who is (raatrriaa = imbued) engages in (an) other (kaa-e/kaaj) pursuits, i.e. ignores Divine commands, his/her soul has to travel on (duh-eli) the difficult (vaatt) path – is taken by the messenger of death and brutalised.
O (kamaavdiaa) performer of (paap) wrong-doings, there will be ko-e na) none (b-eli =friend) to help you, i.e. those for whose benefit you commit transgressions cannot save you in the end.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Shabad Vichaar by SPN'ers

The Gurbani Framework calls for the use of GURBANI to understand, explain, translate and interpret GURBANI.

The Gurbani Framework is a response to a variety of distorted translations...

SPN on Facebook