• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurmukhi >>> English (literal Translation)

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam

I am wondering if there is a website which has a tool to help me know the literal translation of the Gurmukhi & Romanized transliteration into English for Sri Guru Granth Sahib and/or Nitnem, popular shabads, etc..

A literal word for word translation would help me a lot in learning.

kaurhug

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Www.srigranth.org has a function where you can click on words to look them up in a dictionary. Not all words are listed though. You have to dig for root words. You might like to invest in a Punjabi language book for some background. If you find a word for word site please share it.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat nam

As always, thank you, Ishna ji.

I found a used copy of the Nikky Gurinder Kaur Singh gender neutral translation online and got it two nights ago. I love it. :thumbsupp:

In fact, I'm about to get offline for the evening and recite it now.

So much has fallen in to place in the past couple weeks. I can't believe its only been two weeks. I feel so blessed that I heeded the calling I felt.

I spoke with a Sikh woman who lives about an hour away from here (the 2 closest gurdwaras are both an hour away which is a huge distance since I don't drive, but at least its doable now and then). Wish there was one close by.

But anyway, the woman and I discussed Sikh vows which is something I am hoping to do. I have also received a Sikh spiritual name and it is another profound event for me. I feel its vibration with me, strengthening me and guiding me.

:tablakudi:

<3

Www.srigranth.org has a function where you can click on words to look them up in a dictionary. Not all words are listed though. You have to dig for root words. You might like to invest in a Punjabi language book for some background. If you find a word for word site please share it.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
SPNAdmin ji shared this link some time ago on another thread.

http://www.sadhsangat.com/

This is Rawel Singh Ji's blog which apparently started out about comparative religion but has developed into a page-by-page translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with extrapolations. His English translation includes some Gurbani words throughout so you can get an idea on meanings.

Example:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji pp 546-548, Bihaagrra M: 5, Chants 7-9.

ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਛੰਤ ॥ ਅਨ ਕਾਏ ਰਾਤੜਿਆ ਵਾਟ ਦੁਹੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਪਾਪ ਕਮਾਵਦਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਬੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥
Bihāgaṛā mėhlā 5 cẖẖanṯ. An kā▫e rāṯ▫ṛi▫ā vāt ḏuhelī rām. Pāp kamāvḏi▫ā ṯerā ko▫e na belī rām.

Composition (chhant) with stanzas of six lines each, by the fifth Guru. O mortal, one who is (raatrriaa = imbued) engages in (an) other (kaa-e/kaaj) pursuits, i.e. ignores Divine commands, his/her soul has to travel on (duh-eli) the difficult (vaatt) path – is taken by the messenger of death and brutalised.
O (kamaavdiaa) performer of (paap) wrong-doings, there will be ko-e na) none (b-eli =friend) to help you, i.e. those for whose benefit you commit transgressions cannot save you in the end.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM