• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurbani Contemplation - Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
PK70 Ji,
I understand Aad Jis concerns. To a non-punjabi knowing person..a large chunk of gurmukhi must seem intimidating...I know I would be intimidated seeing one entire para in "Spanish"..i may even feel like left out. To us who know Punajbi..well we sometimes overlook ( me too..) the need to state the obvious !!but we have to...simply because not everyone is at the same wavelength as language is concerned..
Thank You for a beautiful explanation of Sahib Singh....I am waiting for the day when his SGGSDARPAN gets:happy: translated into English...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
PK70 Ji,
I understand Aad Jis concerns. To a non-punjabi knowing person..a large chunk of gurmukhi must seem intimidating...I know I would be intimidated seeing one entire para in "Spanish"..i may even feel like left out. To us who know Punajbi..well we sometimes overlook ( me too..) the need to state the obvious !!but we have to...simply because not everyone is at the same wavelength as language is concerned..
Thank You for a beautiful explanation of Sahib Singh....I am waiting for the day when his SGGSDARPAN gets:happy: translated into English...

Gyani ji,

Guru Fateh.

I totally agree with you because the literal translations in English by Sant Singh Khalsa ji and Manmohan Singh ji are at times misleading and full of distortions.

So, all of us should do what PK70 ji did i.e. to put in English the way we understand the Shabad by keeping Prof. Sahib Singh ji explaination in Punjabi as our benchmark because literally translating from Punjabi to English from Prof. Sahib's could also not do justice to Gurbani at times either.

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਨਾ ਹਮ ਕੀਆ ਕਰਹਿਗੇ ਨਾ ਕਰਿ ਸਕੈ ਸਰੀਰੁ
कबीर ना हम कीआ न करहिगे ना करि सकै सरीरु ॥
Kabīr nā ham kī▫ā na karhige nā kar sakai sarīr.
Kabeer, I have not done anything; I shall not do anything; my body cannot do anything.

ਕਿਆ ਜਾਨਉ ਕਿਛੁ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਆ ਭਇਓ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਕਬੀਰੁ ॥੬੨॥
Source:: Sikh Philosophy Network http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/showthread.php?t=23905
किआ जानउ किछु हरि कीआ भइओ कबीरु कबीरु ॥६२॥
Ki▫ā jān▫o kicẖẖ har kī▫ā bẖa▫i▫o Kabīr Kabīr. ||62||
I do not know what the Lord has done, but the call has gone out: "Kabeer, Kabeer". ||62||

Here are a few excerpts from Kabir's life (ref: Page 78 of this link : Bhagats of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji | Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia)

Sub-headings:

Almighty's Help - "Your son Kabir sent me here to deliver."

Food for the Brahmins -

"The Almighty offered food and gold coins to all the brahmins. The Almighty served the Brahmins with the intention of spreading Kabirji's praise."

"Kabir was delighted to see the Almighty standing in his own physical form."

King Punishes KabirJi -

"People at the river banks started protesting by saying that the King had committed a sin by drowning Kabirji. When KabirJi said,"Ram Tera aasra" and recited the Bani, the chains that tied his hands and legs broke and he sat crossed legged on the water surface. KabirJi's followers began reciting "Praise to the Great Almighty and Kabir."

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The "Chains" that bound Bhagat Kabir Ji were NOT the common types made of iron links..used to tie up the buffalo or to lock up the Gates etc....
These CHAINS were those that BIND...us to this World...when we are in a state of..EH JAG DEKHO..Mauj karo..agla kehne dekhiya...Enjoy THIS world..who has seen the next ??
There is a well written Article...but its all in Punjabi and I will ahve to translate it...may take some time...

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਹੂ ਬਰੜਾਇ ਕੈ ਜਿਹ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਕਸੈ ਰਾਮੁ
कबीर सुपनै हू बरड़ाइ कै जिह मुखि निकसै रामु ॥
Kabīr supnai hū barṛā▫e kai jih mukẖ niksai rām.
Kabeer, if someone utters the Name of the Lord even in dreams,

ਤਾ ਕੇ ਪਗ ਕੀ ਪਾਨਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਤਨ ਕੋ ਚਾਮੁ ॥੬੩॥
ता के पग की पानही मेरे तन को चामु ॥६३॥
Ŧā ke pag kī pānhī mere ṯan ko cẖām. ||63||
I would make my skin into shoes for his feet. ||63||

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Respected Jios

Thanx for the detailed explanation of Selok(62) of Bhagat Kabir Ji. In my opinion , in this selok(63) Bhagat Kabir Ji has glorified the person who even unconsciously recites name of the supreme(rom rom simran).

Bhul chuk lai maafi ji
Gurvinder Kaur

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਾਟੀ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਪੂਤਰੇ ਮਾਨਸੁ ਰਾਖਿਓ*ੁ ਨਾਉ
कबीर माटी के हम पूतरे मानसु राखिओ नाउ ॥
Kabīr mātī ke ham pūṯre mānas rākẖi▫o nā▫o.
Kabeer, we are puppets of clay, but we take the name of mankind.

ਚਾਰਿ ਦਿਵਸ ਕੇ ਪਾਹੁਨੇ ਬਡ ਬਡ ਰੂੰਧਹਿ ਠਾਉ ॥੬੪॥
चारि दिवस के पाहुने बड बड रूंधहि ठाउ ॥६४॥
Cẖār ḏivas ke pāhune bad bad rūʼnḏẖėh ṯẖā▫o. ||64||
We are guests here for only a few days, but we take up so much space. ||64||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਹੂ ਬਰੜਾਇ ਕੈ ਜਿਹ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਕਸੈ ਰਾਮੁ
कबीर सुपनै हू बरड़ाइ कै जिह मुखि निकसै रामु ॥
Kabīr supnai hū barṛā▫e kai jih mukẖ niksai rām.
Kabeer, if someone utters the Name of the Lord even in dreams,

ਤਾ ਕੇ ਪਗ ਕੀ ਪਾਨਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਤਨ ਕੋ ਚਾਮੁ ॥੬੩॥
ता के पग की पानही मेरे तन को चामु ॥६३॥
Ŧā ke pag kī pānhī mere ṯan ko cẖām. ||63||
I would make my skin into shoes for his feet. ||63||

Respected Jios

Thanx for the detailed explanation of Selok(62) of Bhagat Kabir Ji. In my opinion , in this selok(63) Bhagat Kabir Ji has glorified the person who even unconsciously recites name of the supreme(rom rom simran).

Bhul chuk lai maafi ji
Gurvinder Kaur

Kabieer ji has glorified that person, and Kabeer ji has placed every particle of his being at the service of that person. Notice that his skin would be made into "shoes" -- he would protect the feet of that person, as one touches and venerates the "feet" of the Guru. The lowest part, the part that touches the ground. He would not become a coat or a hat -- but shoes.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਹਿਦੀ ਕਰਿ ਘਾਲਿਆ ਆਪੁ ਪੀਸਾਇ ਪੀਸਾਇ
कबीर महिदी करि घालिआ आपु पीसाइ पीसाइ ॥
Kabīr mahiḏī kar gẖāli▫ā āp pīsā▫e pīsā▫e.
Kabeer, I have made myself into henna, and I grind myself into powder.

ਤੈ ਸਹ ਬਾਤ ਪੂਛੀਐ ਕਬਹੁ ਲਾਈ ਪਾਇ ॥੬੫॥
तै सह बात न पूछीऐ कबहु न लाई पाइ ॥६५॥
Ŧai sah bāṯ na pūcẖẖī▫ai kabahu na lā▫ī pā▫e. ||65||
But You, O my Husband Lord, have not asked about me; You have never applied me to Your Feet. ||65||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Kabieer ji has glorified that person, and Kabeer ji has placed every particle of his being at the service of that person. Notice that his skin would be made into "shoes" -- he would protect the feet of that person, as one touches and venerates the "feet" of the Guru. The lowest part, the part that touches the ground. He would not become a coat or a hat -- but shoes.

Yes aad ji..you have got the "kernel" in this case..the very essence of what Kabeer ji is saying.

On a related note...have you noticed that just about everyone shouts...OMG..OH MY GOD !!
so much....or "JESUS..did you really do that ?? etc etc..
Does this "count" towards..Sappneh mehn barrraei keh...even during a nightmare..the person who shouts "MERE RAAM" Waheguru..or similar is worthy ??
Is Kabeer ji going for soemthing deeper than just merely MOUTHING !! somethign to wonder ??

Have a Happy Khasla day everyone..

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਜਿਹ ਦਰਿ ਆਵਤ ਜਾਤਿਅਹੁ ਹਟਕੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ
कबीर जिह दरि आवत जातिअहु हटकै नाही कोइ ॥
Kabīr jih ḏar āvaṯ jāṯi▫ahu hatkai nāhī ko▫e.
Kabeer, that door, through which people never stop coming and going -

ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਕੈਸੇ ਛੋਡੀਐ ਜੋ ਦਰੁ ਐਸਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੬੬॥
सो दरु कैसे छोडीऐ जो दरु ऐसा होइ ॥६६॥
So ḏar kaise cẖẖodī▫ai jo ḏar aisā ho▫e. ||66||
how can I leave such a door as that? ||66||

Respected Jios
What/where is the door mentioned by Kabir Ji in this selok. If anyone can enlighten please.
Regards
Bhul chuk lai maafi ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਾਟੀ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਪੂਤਰੇ ਮਾਨਸੁ ਰਾਖਿਓ*ੁ ਨਾਉ
कबीर माटी के हम पूतरे मानसु राखिओ नाउ ॥
Kabīr mātī ke ham pūṯre mānas rākẖi▫o nā▫o.
Kabeer, we are puppets of clay, but we take the name of mankind.

ਚਾਰਿ ਦਿਵਸ ਕੇ ਪਾਹੁਨੇ ਬਡ ਬਡ ਰੂੰਧਹਿ ਠਾਉ ॥੬੪॥
चारि दिवस के पाहुने बड बड रूंधहि ठाउ ॥६४॥
Cẖār ḏivas ke pāhune bad bad rūʼnḏẖėh ṯẖā▫o. ||64||
We are guests here for only a few days, but we take up so much space. ||64||

I knew what it meant but it took days to put into words. We, says Kabeer, are puppets, and as such we have no will or power of our own. We suffer from the problem of self-inflation. Made of earth and water, like puppets we crumble when our clay is dry, and turn to mush when it is wet. At the mercy of natural forces, we still dare to give ourselves a name "mankind" thinking to set ourselves apart from the rest of creation. We are guests of the universe, and the visit is short, yet we dare to believe that we can dominate the space and time that we do not own.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਹਿਦੀ ਕਰਿ ਘਾਲਿਆ ਆਪੁ ਪੀਸਾਇ ਪੀਸਾਇ
कबीर महिदी करि घालिआ आपु पीसाइ पीसाइ ॥
Kabīr mahiḏī kar gẖāli▫ā āp pīsā▫e pīsā▫e.
Kabeer, I have made myself into henna, and I grind myself into powder.

ਤੈ ਸਹ ਬਾਤ ਪੂਛੀਐ ਕਬਹੁ ਲਾਈ ਪਾਇ ॥੬੫॥
तै सह बात न पूछीऐ कबहु न लाई पाइ ॥६५॥
Ŧai sah bāṯ na pūcẖẖī▫ai kabahu na lā▫ī pā▫e. ||65||
But You, O my Husband Lord, have not asked about me; You have never applied me to Your Feet. ||65||

Here Kabeer laments his lack of connection to the Divine Creator. "You have never applied me to Your Feet." We are back to feet -- a constant metaphor throughout Gurbani. Touching the guru's feet, washing the guru's feet, these are not metaphors but rituals from the vedantic past and are based on belief that the current of divine energy that can be gained by the student of a guru is reached through the guru's feet.

In Sri Guru Granth Sahib, this older idea emerges in a transformed way. Gurbani has the lotus feet of the Guru attached in the heart of the Gurmukh. The Guru is in the Gurmukh and the Gurmukh is in the Guru when they are one. Kabeer is longing for this kind of connection. He says he has ground himself to henna powder -- the traditional substance to paint the feet of one who is going to wed. Kabeer is longing to be attached in this way, to be painted on the feet of the Husband Lord, to be that close to the current of the divine, completely attached to the source. He is patiently waiting to be called to this spiritual attachment.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Some notes about the Feet of the Guru
"The Feet of the Guru comes from the guru-devotee relationship whose tradition grew out of India. The energy of the true Spiritual teacher is most potent at the feet, and is a place of adoration and worship." Source; http://www.hennahappiness.com/symbols.html
This is one of the designs that is painted with henna in the art of mehindi where a bride's feet and hands are painted the night before her wedding.

Service of the feet of a guru -- washing a guru's feet -- is recognized in the name Chananjit. The feet of a Guru being a sacred symbol for thousands of years.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਕਬੀਰ ਜਿਹ ਦਰਿ ਆਵਤ ਜਾਤਿਅਹੁ ਹਟਕੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ
कबीर जिह दरि आवत जातिअहु हटकै नाही कोइ ॥
Kabīr jih ḏar āvaṯ jāṯi▫ahu hatkai nāhī ko▫e.
Kabeer, that door, through which people never stop coming and going -

ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਕੈਸੇ ਛੋਡੀਐ ਜੋ ਦਰੁ ਐਸਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੬੬॥
सो दरु कैसे छोडीऐ जो दरु ऐसा होइ ॥६६॥
So ḏar kaise cẖẖodī▫ai jo ḏar aisā ho▫e. ||66||
how can I leave such a door as that? ||66||

Respected Jios
What/where is the door mentioned by Kabir Ji in this selok. If anyone can enlighten please.
Regards
Bhul chuk lai maafi ji

Gurvinder_janu ji

Many thanks for the guiding question. This is a hard one I think. Should we think of the dhar, dar, door, in two ways? Kabeer ji is talking about a door that one never leaves. Usually we pass in and out of a door, we don't just stand there. When we are blinded by ignorance,this leads over and over to pain and suffering. Without reaching the vision of his darshan, we never stop passing through the door of pain and suffering. As Guru Arjan Dev ji explains the same idea. The idea is to stop passing in and out of the door of pain and suffering by receiving the teachings of the Satguru.

Ang 717

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਾਟੇ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨੀ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਸੰਕਟ ਦੁਆਰਾ ॥
janam maran kaattae gur bachanee bahurr n sankatt dhuaaraa ||
Birth and death are ended for me, by the Word of the Guru's Teachings; I shall no longer pass through the door of pain and suffering.

Kabeer ji is praying that he/we will find a door where beg and are graced with His presence. And he/we will never leave that door. There is no suffering there

Ang 323 (also by Guru Arjan Devji)

ਢਾਢੀ ਦਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੰਗਣਾ ਦਰੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਛੋੜੇ ॥
dtaadtee dhar prabh manganaa dhar kadhae n shhorrae ||
The minstrel begs at God's Door - he shall never leave that Door.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Guru Arjan Dev Ji :

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ਤਿੰਨਾ ਭੁਖ ਕਾ ਰਹੀ ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਚਰਣੀ ਲਗਿਆ ਉਧਰੈ ਸਭੋ ਕੋਇ ॥੧॥
Salok mėhlā 5.Ŧinnā bẖukẖ na kā rahī jis ḏā parabẖ hai so▫e.Nānak cẖarṇī lagi▫ā uḏẖrai sabẖo ko▫e. ||1||

Slok 5th Guru.He who has Him as his Lord is left with no hunger.Nanak, everyone who falls at his feet is saved.

ਕਾ = ਕੋਈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ। ਸਭੋ ਕੋਇ = ਹਰੇਕ ਜੀਵ।੧।

ਜਿਸ ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਤੇ ਰਾਖਾ ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ) ਕੋਈ ਭੁੱਖ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿ ਜਾਂਦੀ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਚਰਨੀਂ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ ਹਰੇਕ ਜੀਵ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਭੁੱਖ ਤੋਂ ਬਚ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੧।

ਮਃ ਜਾਚਿਕੁ ਮੰਗੈ ਨਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਕਰੇ ਕਬੂਲੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਜਜਮਾਨੁ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਭੁਖ ਮੂਲਿ ॥੨॥
Mėhlā 5.Jācẖik mangai niṯ nām sāhib kare kabūl.Nānak parmesar jajmān ṯisėh bẖukẖ na mūl. ||2||

5th Guru.Nanak if the beggar daily begs for the Name the Lord grants his request.The Lord is my alms-giver, O Nanak and He has absolutely no want.

ਜਾਚਿਕੁ = ਮੰਗਤਾ। ਜਜਮਾਨੁ = ਦੱਛਨਾ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ। ਨ ਮੂਲਿ = ਰਤਾ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ।੨।

(ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਮੰਗਤਾ (ਬਣ ਕੇ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ) ਸਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹੈ (ਉਸ ਦੀ ਅਰਜ਼) ਮਾਲਕ ਕਬੂਲ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦਾ ਜਜਮਾਨ (ਆਪ) ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਰਤਾ ਭੀ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ) ਭੁੱਖ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ।੨।

ਪਉੜੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਤਾ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਚੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਜੋੜੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਉ ਹਸਤੀ ਘੋੜੇ ਰਾਜ ਮਿਲਖ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਘਣੀ ਧਿਆਇ ਮੁਖੁ ਮੋੜੇ ਢਾਢੀ ਦਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੰਗਣਾ ਦਰੁ ਕਦੇ ਛੋੜੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਚਾਉ ਏਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਲੋੜੇ ॥੨੧॥੧॥ ਸੁਧੁ ਕੀਚੇ
Pa▫oṛī.Man raṯā govinḏ sang sacẖ bẖojan joṛe.Parīṯ lagī har nām si▫o e hasṯī gẖoṛe.Rāj milakẖ kẖusī▫ā gẖaṇī ḏẖi▫ā▫e mukẖ na moṛe.Dẖādẖī ḏar parabẖ mangṇā ḏar kaḏe na cẖẖoṛe.Nānak man ṯan cẖā▫o ehu niṯ parabẖ ka▫o loṛe. ||21||1|| suḏẖ kīcẖe

Pauri.To be imbued with the Lord is man's true viand and wear.The embracing of love for God's Name is to possess elephants and horses.To unswervingly remember God is to possess kingdom, property and abundant amusements.The minstrel is to beg the Lord's door which he is never going to leave.Within Nanak's mind and body is this eagerness: that he, ever, longs for the Lord.

ਸਚੁ = ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਨਾਮ। ਜੋੜੇ = ਪੁਸ਼ਾਕੇ। ਏ = ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ। ਹਸਤੀ = ਹਾਥੀ। ਮਿਲਖ = ਜ਼ਮੀਨਾਂ। ਘਣੀ = ਬੜੀਆਂ। ਢਾਢੀ = ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ। ਦਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ = ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ। ਸੁਧੁ ਕੀਚੇ = ਸੁੱਧ ਕਰ ਲੈਣਾ।੨੧।

(ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਦਾ) ਮਨ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਰੰਗਿਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਚੰਗੇ ਭੋਜਨ ਤੇ ਪੁਸ਼ਾਕੇ ਹੈ। ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨਾਲ ਉਸ ਦਾ ਪਿਆਰ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਇਹੀ ਉਸ ਲਈ ਹਾਥੀ ਤੇ ਘੋੜੇ ਹੈ। ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਤੋਂ ਕਦੇ ਉਹ ਅੱਕਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ, ਇਹੀ ਉਸ ਲਈ ਰਾਜ ਜ਼ਮੀਨਾਂ ਤੇ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਖ਼ੁਸ਼ੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਉਹ ਢਾਡੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਸਦਾ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਦਰ ਕਦੇ ਛੱਡਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਤਨ ਵਿਚ ਸਦਾ ਚਾਉ ਬਣਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ; ਉਹ ਸਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲਣ ਲਈ ਹੀ ਤਾਂਘਦਾ ਹੈ।੨੧।੧।ਸੁੱਧ ਕਰ ਲੈਣਾ। ❀ ਨੋਟ: ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਬੀੜ ਵਿਚ ਇਹ ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ ਹਾਸ਼ੀਏ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਹਨ। ਉਂਞ 'ਵਾਰ' ਦੇ ਮੁੱਕਣ ਤੇ ਬਾਕੀ ਕਾਫ਼ੀ ਪੱਤ੍ਰਾ ਖ਼ਾਲੀ ਪਿਆ ਹੈ। ਇਸ ਦਾ ਭਾਵ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ਾਂ ਦਾ 'ਬਾਣੀ' ਨਾਲ ਕੋਈ ਸੰਬੰਧ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਸੁਧੁ ਕੀਚੇ' ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਇਸ 'ਵਾਰ' ਨਾਲ ਹੈ। ਬਾਕੀ 'ਵਾਰਾਂ' ਨਾਲ ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਸੁਧੁ' ਹਾਸ਼ੀਏ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਵਰਤਿਆ ਹੈ।

Ang. 323

http://sikhroots.com/zina/Keertani ...amaljeet Singh/Dar Kade Na Chhode.mp3?l=8&m=1

P.S. Aad ji thank you for sharing above the beautiful vaak which led me to find much happiness & thought of posting the complete Salok...
:wah:

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਡੂਬਾ ਥਾ ਪੈ ਉਬਰਿਓ ਗੁਨ ਕੀ ਲਹਰਿ ਝਬਕਿ
कबीर डूबा था पै उबरिओ गुन की लहरि झबकि ॥
Kabīr dūbā thā pai ubri▫o gun kī lahar jẖabak.
Kabeer, I was drowning, but the waves of virtue saved me in an instant.
ਜਬ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਬੇੜਾ ਜਰਜਰਾ ਤਬ ਉਤਰਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਹਉ ਫਰਕਿ ॥੬੭॥
जब देखिओ बेड़ा जरजरा तब उतरि परिओ हउ फरकि ॥६७॥
Jab ḏekẖi▫o beṛā jarjarā ṯab uṯar pari▫o ha▫o farak. ||67||
When I saw that my boat was rotten, then I immediately got out. ||67||

Jun 2, 2007
India
ਕਬੀਰ ਪਾਪੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਵਈ ਹਰਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਸੁਹਾਇ
कबीर पापी भगति न भावई हरि पूजा न सुहाइ ॥
Kabīr pāpī bẖagaṯ na bẖāv▫ī har pūjā na suhā▫e.
Kabeer, the sinner does not like devotion to the Lord; he does not appreciate worship.

ਮਾਖੀ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਪਰਹਰੈ ਜਹ ਬਿਗੰਧ ਤਹ ਜਾਇ ॥੬੮॥
माखी चंदनु परहरै जह बिगंध तह जाइ ॥६८॥
Mākẖī cẖanḏan parharai jah biganḏẖ ṯah jā▫e. ||68||
The fly abandons the sandalwood tree, and goes after the rotten smell. ||68||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਕਬੀਰ ਡੂਬਾ ਥਾ ਪੈ ਉਬਰਿਓ ਗੁਨ ਕੀ ਲਹਰਿ ਝਬਕਿ
कबीर डूबा था पै उबरिओ गुन की लहरि झबकि ॥
Kabīr dūbā thā pai ubri▫o gun kī lahar jẖabak.
Kabeer, I was drowning, but the waves of virtue saved me in an instant.
ਜਬ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਬੇੜਾ ਜਰਜਰਾ ਤਬ ਉਤਰਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਹਉ ਫਰਕਿ ॥੬੭॥
जब देखिओ बेड़ा जरजरा तब उतरि परिओ हउ फरकि ॥६७॥
Jab ḏekẖi▫o beṛā jarjarā ṯab uṯar pari▫o ha▫o farak. ||67||
When I saw that my boat was rotten, then I immediately got out. ||67||

Gurvinder ji

Here is what I find interesting about this seloka. This is not my understanding but almost like an instant reflection on the words.

Kabeer ji says he is drowning -- probably within himself, within his ego, the attachments of mind to illusions of maya. What saves him is outside of himself, waves of virtue are what carries him to the shore. I think this is important to note because it explains how Sikhism sees the source of virtue -- virtue comes from the Satguru. Virtue is bestowed by the grace of the Satguru, and He saves us by his mercy because He is an ocean of mercy. So Kabeer will not drown in the ocean. Instead he will be saved by the ocean of virtue coming from Akaal -- who is the protector and sustainer of everything. We are nothing ourselves without Him and would vanish without His support.

Kabeer is also saying that he sees that his boat is rotten and he gets out. Which is a brilliant image. It is the most natural thing to get out of a rotten boat, for how will it do any good to stay there? But when he gets out of the boat where does he go? He goes into the ocean where he knows he will not drown. Kabeer trusts Akaal so much. He is not afraid he will drown in that ocean because only the ocean will save and sustain him, the ocean of virtue.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Guru Arjan Dev ji says something quite similar in the following shabad:

ਮਿਲਹੁ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਜੀਆ ॥
milahu piaarae jeeaa ||
Meet with me, O my Dear Beloved.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਮਾਰਾ ਥੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
prabh keeaa thumaaraa thheeaa ||1|| rehaao ||
O God, whatever You do - that alone happens. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਿਕ ਜਨਮ ਬਹੁ ਜੋਨੀ ਭ੍ਰਮਿਆ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
anik janam bahu jonee bhramiaa bahur bahur dhukh paaeiaa ||
Wandering around through countless incarnations, I endured pain and suffering in so many lives, over and over again.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹ ਪਾਈ ਹੈ ਦੇਹੁ ਦਰਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ ॥੧॥
thumaree kirapaa thae maanukh dhaeh paaee hai dhaehu dharas har raaeiaa ||1||
By Your Grace, I obtained this human body; grant me the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan, O Sovereign Lord King. ||1||

ਸੋਈ ਹੋਆ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਣਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ॥
soee hoaa jo this bhaanaa avar n kin hee keethaa ||
That which pleases His Will has come to pass; no one else can do anything.

ਤੁਮਰੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਭਰਮਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਜਾਗਤੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਸੂਤਾ ॥੨॥
thumarai bhaanai bharam mohi mohiaa jaagath naahee soothaa ||2||
By Your Will, enticed by the illusion of emotional attachment, the people are asleep; they do not wake up. ||2||

ਬਿਨਉ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਤੁਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਨਪਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਦਇਆਲਾ ॥
bino sunahu thum praanapath piaarae kirapaa nidhh dhaeiaalaa ||
Please hear my prayer, O Lord of Life, O Beloved, Ocean of mercy and compassion.

ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੇਰੇ ਅਨਾਥਹ ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਾ ॥੩॥
raakh laehu pithaa prabh maerae anaathheh kar prathipaalaa ||3||
Save me, O my Father God. I am an orphan - please, cherish me! ||3||

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਤੁਮਹਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਓ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈ ਪਾਛੈ ॥
jis no thumehi dhikhaaeiou dharasan saadhhasangath kai paashhai ||
You reveal the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan, for the sake of the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧੂਰਿ ਦੇਹੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਇਹੁ ਬਾਛੈ ॥੪॥੯॥੧੩੦॥
kar kirapaa dhhoor dhaehu santhan kee sukh naanak eihu baashhai ||4||9||130||
Grant Your Grace, and bless us with the dust of the feet of the Saints; Nanak yearns for this peace. ||4||9||130||

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: