• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FIFA World Cup 2010 - Thank You, South Africa!

Whom Do You Think Will Win Soccer World Cup 2010 and Why?

• Ghana <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Paraguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Total voters

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
This bloo.dy poor referrring has taken the gloss off this wonderful world cup... why the hell they dont use technology to make close discussions... A pretty obivious goal has been denied to England.

What a match going on by the way! icecreammunda

Its quite strange That FIFA still do not take help of technology While the role of technology in Cricket is increasing Day by day.I think In cricket the time is coming when there will be no umpires and bowler just have to appeal against third umpire

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
It is upsetting watching your country being robbed of a genuine goal, having said that Germany played exceptionaly well.

Sometimes You have to payback the deeds of past.

3. War reparations: England versus West Germany, 1966

Soccer truly came home when the World Cup was played for the first time in England, the nation which invented the game. The hosts won their only championship, but the legality of their winning goal has always been hotly contested, and their beaten foe, West Germany, proceeded to become one of their greatest rivals.
-------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes You have to payback the deeds of past.

3. War reparations: England versus West Germany, 1966

The final was played at Wembley Stadium in London, a city the Luftwaffe had nearly blitzed into submission 26 years before. The 93,000 who packed the stands were bolstered by 400 million others tuning into televised broadcasts of the game -- the first played between these two rivals since the war. The game was tied 2-2 at the end of regulation. Eleven minutes into overtime, English striker Geoff Hurst smashed the ball goalward from close range inside the German box. The ball cannoned off the underside of the German bar and appeared to bounce either over the line or exactly on it depending whether you are English or German. The only opinion that mattered, though, was that of Soviet linesman Tofik Bakhramov, who awarded the goal. There is an apocryphal story that when Bakhramov was on his deathbed he was asked how he was so sure it was a goal and he gave the one-word reply "Stalingrad," referring to the bloody World War II battle in which 750,000 Soviets died.

-------

Recent digitally-enhanced footage is said to clearly illustrate that Geoff Hurst's second goal did not cross the line

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
German press hails 'revenge' for 1966

"Thank you football God," read Bild's headline following Germany's inflicting England's worst World Cup finals defeat, 4-1 on Sunday, in their Last 16 match.

"After 44 years, the Wembley goal is finally balanced out. Now the English know how we have felt the whole time."

"Sorry," said the Die Welt broadsheet in English. "Now we're even."

"YES!" exclaimed the Berliner Kurier. "That was the revenge for Wembley."

The Neues Deutschland was at least somewhat more balanced in its headline of "Germany advances to the quarter-finals against Argentina with good passing football -- and a little bit of luck."

Sep 27, 2008
England
kanwardeep Singh Ji yes we are fully aware of those facts you have just provided, it still does not stop one from feeling upset over some injustice, 1966 to be honest i was not even born then but you are right there has been a friction between England and Germany since. We had nowhere near the technology we have today to see with pinpoint accuracy. Anyway goodluck to them they were the better team on the day. Just watched the Brazil match it was Fab.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Brazilians score at will!!! they could have punched another 10 without an effort really!! Netherlands has their work cutout! What a match in prospects... icecreammunda

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
kanwardeep Singh Ji yes we are fully aware of those facts you have just provided, it still does not stop one from feeling upset over some injustice, 1966 to be honest i was not even born then but you are right there has been a friction between England and Germany since. We had nowhere near the technology we have today to see with pinpoint accuracy. Anyway goodluck to them they were the better team on the day. Just watched the Brazil match it was Fab.

Either FIFA accept use of technology which is now used in almost every sport
or just accept these things as part of game.

In the argentenia vs mexico match a clear offside was given goal.Almost all
the mexican players surrounded the referee but he did not change his decision

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I can't believe it! I am sitting here in a state of dumbfoundedness! Hurray for the Dutch. My husband is Dutch. He doesn't even realize!

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Yeah! Dutch play really solid though unattractive Football but they deserved to win in the end... Brazil caught napping due to obvious superiority complex... Dutch can go all the way with only two wins away from title but i think Germany and Argentine are very powerful teams right now in the fray and winner of that match should be confident enough to stake a claim as well... Dutch would cherish this day rest of their lives... i guess... icecreammunda

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aman Singh ji

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what you mean by "unattractive." I think you mean the Dutch use basic moves and have a lot of motivation and stamina. But they lack a kind of inspiration that is seen in great athletes. I know very little about this game, and to tell the truth, it would help to know what that inspiration or attractiveness looks like in order to appreciate the play more.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Uruguay vs Ghana best match of tournament.The ghana penalty taker is going to totally heart broken man for his entire life.Suarez sacrificed himself for team by stopping goal from his hand and got red card

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Yeah! one of the best matches! and what a presence of mind by both of the Uruguay defenders... both decided in an instant to use hands to deny that goal and LO! they still has a chance if the penalty is stopped... he gets a red card but becomes a folklore hero of coming Uruguay generations... Tomorrow is GERMANS ver ARGENTINIANS! icecreammunda That would be another hearth breaker... both teams deserve to be in the finals...

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Germany brutally Massacred Argentina! my heart goes out for poor Maradona... but Germans deserved to win hands down... they are now the major title contenders...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aman ji,

So it was a heart-breaker! This has been a tourney full of surprises for everyone. I add, and heart-break for many.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The front page of The Hindu is now full of stories about the upset. Late in the World Cup, the news is at high tide. It has turned out to be bitter and with Germany now according to the newspaper trying to soften the rhetoric between the two countries. It must be so difficult so late in the game for Argentina to lose, with no chance to come back.

Heroes of yesterday now eliminated.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Germany has made it to at least the semi-final stages in the last 15 World Cup tournaments...that's a hugely impressive record

Shame a country with the population of India can't field a team when the African nations can, and have done so well too...just look at Ghana

There's a lot of investment in Cricket and I find the Indian Super-league hugely entertaining. Why not football??

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM