• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FIFA World Cup 2010 - Thank You, South Africa!

Whom Do You Think Will Win Soccer World Cup 2010 and Why?

• Ghana <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Paraguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Total voters

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
FIFA World Cup 2010 - Thank You, South Africa!

I have been watching all the matches of world cup and man i must tell, it is one of the most beautifully and spectacularly managed world cup ever. Everything looks so heavenly.

SPN joins everybody in this amazing celebration of life & triumph...

My favorite Teams are of course Brazil & Argentina!

What is your pick this time around?

Please Vote in the Poll! (You can choose multiple entries)

Have Fun!

Gurfateh!

:eek:rangesingh:

Taken from a blog...
I’m going to fast forward here a little. Usually during the opening ceremony there is a speech thanking the host country for accommodating all the different teams and all the rest of it, but during the closing ceremony there is an even bigger speech thanking them once again.

So I would like to skip the World Cup novelties, souvenirs and team talk and take this opportunity to thank South Africa in advance.

A lot of people only receive the negative aspects of the country and how the stadiums possibly were not going to be ready in time for the tournament. Newspapers are warning people who coming to the country to watch a couple of games to watch out for the crime and the precautions to take during their stay.

What few people don’t realize is how much work has gone in to building the stadiums, improving roads, building bridges and improving the public transport system.

People have been working around the clock at a steady pace designing bridges, adding more lanes, sometimes risking their lives painting lines in the middle of the road whilst cars whiz behind them.

I’m astounded at how traffic did not come to a stand-still, but instead was able to flow freely even with all this mad construction. Weather you were driving to work, back from work or coming home late on the freeway from one of the shopping malls you would see people working.

I attended a rugby match at the new Cape Town stadium in Green Point. It was an amazing event. The mayor was there with a couple of famous Springbok rugby players to kick off the event, introducing rugby fans to the wonderful world of soccer.

At that stage they were only allowed to hold half of the stadium’s capacity, but I closed my eyes for a second and imagined thousands of screaming fans with flags waving, noise and lights shining on the pitch. It was a brilliant image.

At the moment the mood in South Africa is great and growing. Motorists are driving around with small flags attached to their cars and bigger flags are being sold on street corners.

South Africa has been waiting for the World Cup for a long time. Time has really flown by and I’m sure the actual tournament is going to go by quickly. I shall savor every moment!

I have been in different countries when the tournament has been on coincidentally. I was in Israel after I finished school in 1994 and on a working holiday in Ireland in 2000.

It was definitely an experience watching the tournament with these nations because of the passion they have for the game and what it will mean for them to be here.

Some people here in South Africa are so set in their ways that they are not looking forward to the tournament and the hoards of people invading their city, but I can’t wait to welcome them with open arms.

Once again, Thank You South Africa!

http://hubpages.com/hub/FIFA-World-Cup-2010-Thank-You-South-Africa

Attachments

• fifa_worldcup_2011.jpg
    fifa_worldcup_2011.jpg
    21.3 KB · Reads: 439
  • fifa_worldcup_2010.jpg
    fifa_worldcup_2010.jpg
    36.7 KB · Reads: 402
  • fifa_worldcup_2012.jpg
    fifa_worldcup_2012.jpg
    61 KB · Reads: 404
Last edited:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Just do another favour.Remove France they lost to mexico 2-0.Its now 90% sure they are going to be out in first round:redturban::redturban:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Would you believe?? Germany lost out to Serbia!!! What a World Cup? swordfight

Not at all surprised when Spain which was predicted as favourate and with satta rate of 1:4 lost to switzerland then anything could happen.I don't think there should be any prediction now that who will win world cup

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
LOL More than half of the USA is not even watching this. Soccer is only recently a national sport in the USA, actually. Those who are watching are on the fringe of lunacy about this. So for them I celebrate.

Germany has been stunned by Serbia. More dramatic results.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
LOL More than half of the USA is not even watching this. Soccer is only recently a national sport in the USA, actually. Those who are watching are on the fringe of lunacy about this. So for them I celebrate.

Germany has been stunned by Serbia. More dramatic results.

Actually USA almost won this match .The mistake of referee cost them dearly
the shot in goal by US player in 82nd minute is given off side which was not from what it looks like from TV camera That's why USA players were almost stunned even they pulled out a magical draw

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
On some forums i read That americans believe that soccer is Girly game .Is this could be one of the reason that soccer is not popular among men?

I would not agree with that. However, it does not surprise me you would have read it on a forum since forums are hot beds of personal opinion often not backed up with more than the experiences of one individual and a few friends who agree.

My experience is that soccer is seeing a real upsurge in interest throughout the US. AS I stated in another thread, or maybe this one. Large corporations - multi-billion dollar enterpreises -- are backing the construction of soccer arenas/stadiums in the US on a grand scale. Soccer is becoming a popular college/university sport played inter murally between schools. So I have no reason do doubt that in the next 20 years we are going to see some big changes in public opinion. 50 years ago, the US thought ice hockey was a Canadian game. All that has changed and ice hockey is big business here. The same thing will happen with soccer.

My guess is that the "girly" tag comes from the fact that up until now soccer was a popular after school sport organized by churches and clubs to keep teens and pre-teens occupied and out of trouble. That has been gaining ground for years now. There are girl's teams and there are boy's teams, and plenty of soccer field, with considerable organization of soccer clubs. Often run by parents.

An insight into the American psyche. If "girls" can play, then the sport can't really be a "guy" thing. That is what that is all about. Women's basketball is big in the US, but it crept up from behind and surprised all the men when it turned out to be both popular and a money maker at the college/university level. You see the same "girly" tag with lacrosse. The fact is that both soccer and lacrosse demand physical strength and stamina and are rough, confrontational games. I would ignore the "girly" tag. It will change like it has in the past. As soon as the economics of the game become clear, it will change even faster.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Professional sports in the US is all about money. Collegiate sports in the US is about money if the college/university is in the top tier of athletic institutions - NCAA divisions.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
An insight into the American psyche. If "girls" can play, then the sport can't really be a "guy" thing.

This type of psychology is everywhere.When Sania mirza acheived success in Tennis then tennis was portrayted as Girly game.Serials with hero as cricketer and heroine as tennis player were made..Ads that your daughter could be next Sania if you give her this drink
Sania received so much from endorsements that her incoming reached near the levels of cricketers.On the other hand leander Paes and Bhupati the Inan men tennis stars who acheived much more than Sania were quite ignored and never portrayed as role models for boys who wants to play tennis

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: