• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does God Control Everything?

Nov 13, 2022
Sat Sri Brothers and Sister,
I have one question which has been on my mind for many-many years and for which I am until today unable to find a satisfactory answer. This question can be summarize as "Does God control everything in the Universe?" Allow me to explain myself...

In the Guru Granth Sahib, there appears countless times verses stating to the effect that :- "God is in charge and controls everything in the Universe. That nothing happens which is outside the Will of God. That God is the doer of all. That literally God IS All." These are not exact verses from the Granth Sahib but rather my understanding of verses. I do not think it would be necessary to quote any verses from the Granth Sahib as anyone reading it will bound to find countless verses stating to the effect.

The problem I find is elsewhere the Granth Sahib (and many other holy scriptures) also state that: "Man is responsible for his actions. That Man has free will and can and should decide what is right and wrong."

My dear brothers and sisters, I am confused! To my thinking both statements are contradictory. If God is the controller and doer of all, how can Man have free will? If man has free will, then how can God be said to control and do EVERYTHING? If free will is within the Will of God, how can we say it is FREE?
If free will is an illusion, then why does God punish Man by sending him to hell or reward him by sending him to heaven? What need be there for a heaven or hell if all that man does is according to His Will?

I am utterly confused and puzzled by this enigma! I have searched for an answer in many books and scriptures but the answer eludes me. I have searched through this website and found only ONE thread discussing free will. Kudos to Etinder for his lengthily exposition on free will. While I found his discussion very enlightening on the topic of free will, it still did not resolve my conflict. This is because Etinder choose to discuss free will from the philosophical point of view, leaving God out of the question. What I need is an explanation from Gurbani i.e. a theological or religious point of view.

If there be among you an enlightened one who can solve this mystery for me I shall forever be great full to him or her.

Thank you in advance.

Guru Ki Fateh
Balbinder Singh
Ipoh, Perak
Malaysia
Nothing is as cleverer as the human beings on this planet earth .

The Human beings are the only cleverer creatures , who even don't spare GOD in their cleverer tricks to survival .

GOD is just used as the scapegoat by human beings their survival and fulfillment of their desires .

Those who talk about sin , bad ,evil even they know that nothing sort of that thing exists ,

The desire of one human being is a sin for another human being .

All over the world , religions are only made for this :

"I can do all the things , If you do any of these things what I do , You have committed a crime , sin , evil"

Each and every human being follows the above line whether directly or indirectly .

Even if there is .001 truth in this world , then that truth is the fodder for justification for those commit falsehood and tell lie.
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 🙏🏻
For example:- if we have to stand on one leg we have two options to either stand on left or right. This is human's will. To either choose good or bad deeds. But we can't put our both legs in air it's our limitation. Either you did good or bad power of doing work comes from God only. If we did good we get good results and vice versa so everything is in hukam of God and to decide what to do God gives us understanding and mind like if we procastinate we fail its hukam of God. Hukam means niyam or rules.
Hope you understand or hope I m right in this understanding 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Jan 5, 2023
I have one question which has been on my mind for many-many years and for which I am until today unable to find a satisfactory answer. This question can be summarize as "Does God control everything in the Universe?" Allow me to explain myself...

In the Guru Granth Sahib, there appears countless times verses stating to the effect that :- "God is in charge and controls everything in the Universe. That nothing happens which is outside the Will of God. That God is the doer of all. That literally God IS All." These are not exact verses from the Granth Sahib but rather my understanding of verses. I do not think it would be necessary to quote any verses from the Granth Sahib as anyone reading it will bound to find countless verses stating to the effect.

The problem I find is elsewhere the Granth Sahib (and many other holy scriptures) also state that: "Man is responsible for his actions. That Man has free will and can and should decide what is right and wrong."

My dear brothers and sisters, I am confused! To my thinking both statements are contradictory. If God is the controller and doer of all, how can Man have free will? If man has free will, then how can God be said to control and do EVERYTHING? If free will is within the Will of God, how can we say it is FREE?
If free will is an illusion, then why does God punish Man by sending him to hell or reward him by sending him to heaven? What need be there for a heaven or hell if all that man does is according to His Will?

I am utterly confused and puzzled by this enigma! I have searched for an answer in many books and scriptures but the answer eludes me. I have searched through this website and found only ONE thread discussing free will. Kudos to Etinder for his lengthily exposition on free will. While I found his discussion very enlightening on the topic of free will, it still did not resolve my conflict. This is because Etinder choose to discuss free will from the philosophical point of view, leaving God out of the question. What I need is an explanation from Gurbani i.e. a theological or religious point of view.

If there be among you an enlightened one who can solve this mystery for me I shall forever be great full to him or her.

Thank you in advance.

Guru Ki Fateh
Balbinder Singh
Ipoh, Perak
Malaysia
Well, there's an understanding to all the verses of Japuji v specially of the verses mentioned here referring to God's Will in everything. There's no confusio

Thank you in advance.

Guru Ki Fateh
Balbinder Singh
Ipoh, Perak
Malaysia

n or contradiction to what's written in Japuji. The only problem is our level of understanding to the highest form and state of mind of the person who's written it that's Nanak. It's like a Nursery kid trying to understand a PhD Man's theorem. Nanak wrote this Divine Law after years of Meditation, Observation, Questioning as we do, travel, discussions etc etc ...... and he got his reply embedded within him then written in his words.
And we want the reply across the table like a Maths problem.

But yes we can understand too again if God Wills .... else we too are disillusioned n wander.

Anyway I'm fully satisfied by entire Japuji n what Nanak wanted to deliver though by words but well get it by our Meditation n own experience n own destiny ......

And I can make it simpler by delivering Nanaks words n Gods ways but in person ...... writing it down to explain Nanaks Finding Divine Law is impossible.
It needs expression n personal touch of dialogue.

But by Gods will 🙏🥰

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
God controls everything as evidenced by Sri Gur Granth Sahib. Some quotes are given below:

ਆਪੇ ਧਰਤੀ ਆਪੇ ਹੈ ਰਾਹਕੁ ਆਪਿ ਜੰਮਾਇ ਪੀਸਾਵੈ ||ਆਪਿ ਪਕਾਵੈ ਆਪਿ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਦੇਇ ਪਰੋਸੈ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਹਿ ਖਾਵੈ || ਆਪੇ ਜਲੁ ਆਪੇ ਦੇ ਛਿੰਗਾ ਆਪੇ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰਾਵੈ ||
ਆਪੇ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਦਿ ਹਾਲੈ ਆਪੇ ਵਿਦਾ ਕਰਾਵੈ || ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਿਰਪਾਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਤਿਸ ਨੋ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮਨਾਵੈ |||| ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੩ || ਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਸਭਿ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ || ਮਮਤਾ ਮੋਹੁ ਸੁ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਸੁ ਧੰਧੁ || ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਜੇਵਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ || ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਵਰਤੈ ਅੰਧੁ |||| ਮਃ ੪ || ਅੰਧੇ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਤਾ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਰਜਾਇ || ਬੰਧਨ ਤੋੜੈ ਸਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅਧੇਰਾ ਜਾਇ || ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਤਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਨੁ ਸਾਜਿ || ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਣਿ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਾਖੈ ਲਾਜ |||| ਪਉੜੀ || ਜਦਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਥਾਟੁ ਕੀਆ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਤੈ ਤਦਹੁ ਪੁਛਿ ਨ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਬੀਆ || ਤਦਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਲੇਵੈ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਜਾਂ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੀਆ || ਫਿਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕਰਤੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕਉ ਦੀਆ || ਆਪੇ ਸੇਵ ਬਣਾਈਅਨੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ || ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਥੀਆ |||| ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੩ || ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਸਦ ਸਾਚਾ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਹਜਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ || ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਾਚੇ ਅਰਧਿ ਉਰਧਿ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ || ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਧੁਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ || ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਆਪੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰਿ |||| ਮਃ ੩ || ਕਹਿਐ ਕਥਿਐ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ || ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਭਉਕਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ || ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਭਿਜੈ ਆਪਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ || ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਆਪੇ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਇ |||| ਪਉੜੀ || ਆਪੇ ਵੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਆਪਿ ਕਥੈ ਆਪਿ ਭੀਜੈ || ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਹਿ ਪੂਜੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪਿ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਕਰੀਜੈ || ਆਪਿ ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਆਪੇ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਥੀਜੈ || ਆਪੇ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪਿ ਅਲਿਪਤੁ ਵਰਤੀਜੈ || ਆਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੇਵੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸ ਕਰੀਜੈ |||| (੫੫੦-੫੫੧)

ਆਪੇ ਖਾਣੀ ਆਪੇ ਬਾਣੀ ਆਪੇ ਖੰਡ ਵਰਭੰਡ ਕਰੇ || ਆਪਿ ਸਮੁੰਦੁ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ|| ਸਾਗਰੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਧਰੇ |||| ਆਪਿ ਲਹਾਏ ਕਰੇ ਜਿਸੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕਰੇ ਹਰੇ || ਆਪੇ ਭਉਜਲੁ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ ਬੋਹਿਥਾ ਆਪੇ ਖੇਵਟੁ ਆਪਿ ਤਰੇ || ਆਪੇ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਏ ਕਰਤਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਤੁਝੈ ਸਰੇ |||| (੫੫੨)

ਆਪੇ ਪਾਰਸੁ ਆਪਿ ਧਾਤੁ ਹੈ ਆਪਿ ਕੀਤੋਨੁ ਕੰਚਨੁ || ਆਪੇ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਪਾਪ ਖੰਡਨੁ || ਆਪੇ ਸਭਿ ਘਟ ਭੋਗਵੈ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਸਭੁ ਅੰਜਨੁ || ਆਪਿ ਬਿਬੇਕੁ ਆਪਿ ਸਭੁ ਬੇਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭੰਜਨੁ || ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਿ ਨ ਰਜੈ ਤੁਧੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਤੂ ਹਰਿ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਵਡਨੁਆਪੇ ਸਭ ਘਟ ਅੰਦਰੇ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਾਹਰਿ ||ਆਪੇ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਜਾਹਰਿ |||| ਜੁਗ ਛਤੀਹ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ਕਰਿਵਰਤਿਆ ਸੁੰਨਾਹਰਿ || ਓਥੈ ਵੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਨ ਸਾਸਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਹਰਿ ਨਰਹਰਿ || ਬੈਠਾ ਤਾੜੀ ਲਾਇ ਆਪਿ ਸਭ ਦੂਹੀ ਬਾਹਰਿ || ਆਪਣੀ ਮਿਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਗਉਹਰੁ || ੧੮ || (੫੫੫)

P J Singh

SPNer
Oct 7, 2022
Hi, I wrote a long post, it just disappeared because it asked me to login. I can not find wherre it has gone, can anyone in the admin please help me retrieve it.

As I posted, it asked me to login and I had to retrieve my password; meanwhile it is gone. Any help please. Thanks

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Usually, if you are logged in, the responses are saved as draft in this message box automatically. However, if you do not see the message here then it looks like your response was lost. If the responses are bigger in nature, it is always better to write it elsewhere and save it like in NotePad (windows) or Notes (macs). Our apologies for the inconvenience it may have caused. Thank you ji

Naushad

SPNer
Sep 14, 2022
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh 🙏🏻
For example:- if we have to stand on one leg we have two options to either stand on left or right. This is human's will. To either choose good or bad deeds. But we can't put our both legs in air it's our limitation. Either you did good or bad power of doing work comes from God only. If we did good we get good results and vice versa so everything is in hukam of God and to decide what to do God gives us understanding and mind like if we procastinate we fail its hukam of God. Hukam means niyam or rules.
Hope you understand or hope I m right in this understanding 🙏🏻🙏🏻
Let's look at events in our lives in terms of control.
Predestination- everything is written down by God before it happens.
Freewill- these are circles of responsibility each of us carry that causes some thing to happen.
Control- is it Predestination or freewill
Let's look at an example
A driver is driving down a road where there are parked 🚗 cars. A child runs into the road form behind a parked car and is run over.
The event is Predestined. It is written down by God.
The driver carries CIRCLE of free will responsibility that can cause the accident. Did he maintain his car brakes etc according to the law of the land.? Did he maintain due care and attention? Was he drunk? etc . A Yes means the driver free will contributed to the Predestined accident.
The child also carries CIRCLE of free will responsibility. Was the child trained in road safety? Was the child physically fit, eyesight, mobility etc? So you can the child's free will can also contribute to the Predestined accident.
God tests us on actions that cause the Predestined events.
In case of natural events
If we live near a river we a prone to flooding. We have historical facts
We are now aware of fault lines that can cause earth quakes. Man is causing global warming etc. etc.
Everything that is born has to die. A person's body is in perpetual decay and has to die. Disease is part and parcel of our biological make-up.
So the only thing that survives bodily death is the Soul. The make-up of the soul is beyond human comprehension. We will only know this when we die.
So we are judged according to our circles of free will responsibility.
The reward is in the next stage of our souls journey.
I hope this clarify your quetion

kanwar238

SPNer
Oct 2, 2012
AUSTRALIA

Thank you in advance.

Guru Ki Fateh
Balbinder Singh
Ipoh, Perak
Malays

Attachments

• 01-RAB DI PACHAN.pdf
    162.2 KB · Reads: 2

kanwar238

SPNer
Oct 2, 2012
AUSTRALIA

Thank you in advance.

Guru Ki Fateh
Balbinder Singh
Ipoh, Perak
Malaysia
It is necessary to understand GOD . According to Gurbani God is (1) Law of Nature i.e. HUKAM, (2) God is Divine Virtues i.e. GUNI NIDHAN (3) God is Divine Wisdom i.e. your own Wisdom. as said: gur paramaesar eaeko jaan |GGS page 864 GUR means your own knowledge or wisdom . It is said your wisdom and the GOD is to be considered as one and the same thing. Similarly it is again said:
naanak sodhae sinmrith baedh | paarabreham gur naahee bhaedh (GGS page 1142) Gur mean your wisdom or your knowledge.
Nanak has studied the Simritees and the Vedas. It means Guru Nanak studied all the available literature and he has concluded that There is no difference between the Supreme Lord God and the wisdom or your knowledge. According to this when an act is done it is done according to your knowledge and your wisdom. Its reward or punishment is received here in this world. Your conscience will also work to give you reward or punishment.
Detailed article in Punjabi is attached as PDF.

Attachments

• 01-RAB DI PACHAN.pdf
    162.2 KB · Reads: 2
MEET SPN ON YOUR MOBILES (TAP)

❤️ Tap / Click or Scan

JOIN SPN MOBILE APP!