• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yes Kesh, Why Tied?

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
ur right it doesnt but they still look cool ;)

:cool:

well about the buying a new pair... why buy a new one when the one with the nala will last a lifetime?

Haha...spoken like a true Indian :}{}{}: I'm sure Russel Peters could think of a few minutes of patter with that one...

"We're cheap enough on the whole...I just think that kaschaera-wearing people take it to a whole 'nother level..." :rofl!!:

Hehe...to be honest, that's kinda the reason I wear leather jackets. Because it lasts. And coz it looks cool. I just don't see myself flashing my undies in public any time soon :8-:)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
lol russell peters
well if u really wana buy a new nala-kachera pair then go ahead no oness stopping u
i personally dont think like that (true indian) :)

kachera doesnt look like regular undies ;) ...

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
dude i meant when u NEED to scare thats when u do it. Imagine this, some guys about to attack u and he sees ur kirpan (or u pull it out or sumtin) he gets scared and backs away... isnt this peace?

Let's just say I'd feel more comfortable if everyone wasn't going around with lethal weapons.

My kara's enough of a weapon. Then there's my fifteen years of experience in tae-kwon-do, muay thai, karate and nintai jitsu.

Seriously, that's the reason we have a group of people known as police men. They exist so that we don't have to carry swords like we did in the feudal states of 16th century India. But if you need a weapon, a can of mace or a chunk of keys or your metal bracelet will do the job.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
lol russell peters
well if u really wana buy a new nala-kachera pair then go ahead no oness stopping u
i personally dont think like that (true indian) :)

Yeah, I know you don't, I was just having a larf :D

I just find wearing elastic to be more comfortable.

kachera doesnt look like regular undies ;) ...

Wait, let me guess...they look like the product that Jaguar would produce if they ever opened a clothing line? ;)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
yes thats true but the police dont always come on time (lol reminds me of bollywood films)
and by the way nowadays u dont really need it .. its all for looks like i have been saying since i started answering this post ;)

Aight man wutever u feel comfortable in lol i am not taking any sides

Max do u watch boolywood films.. if yes then have u seen "abh tumare hawale watan saathiyo" if yes then remember that part where akshay kumar gets caught and in the jail this guy grows a beard, mustache and gets long hair then beats the other guy he looked AWESOME now imagine that scene with a sikh fighting a bunch of bad guys (bollywood style ;) ) in a movie i wud love that!!

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Bhagat Singh,

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you look better in that pagh than the one in the previous picture.

Plus stay away from Bollywood films, they will rot your brains....lol
------------------------
MAX
"Seriously, that's the reason we have a group of people known as police men. They exist so that we don't have to carry swords like we did in the feudal states of 16th century India. But if you need a weapon, a can of mace or a chunk of keys or your metal bracelet will do the job."

Watch out some of these policemen in England are undercover nazis!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
thanks lol that old pic's a year old

the reason i want to get in to bollywood films and portray a good sikh image is that whatever ppl in india know about sikhs... its all from bollywood... they litereally think sikhs are dim witted idiots who are always happy and always joking and s*** like that

so if we can change that than i think us sikhs have made some progress

Bhagat

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Having nothing pressing to do tonight, I have read this whole thread from over the last two years. I have never posted anything here before and maybe I should refrain now, since none of you know me and I should make a good first impression. And being a woman in my 50's perhaps I should show a little more dignity. However, since I can't resist:
I have worn any type of underwear you can imagine, and nothing is anywhere as comfortable as kechera.​

A young man in full Khalsa dress is an incredibly attractive masculine sight for this woman to see, and​

I did a lot of fencing when I was young, and believe me, hair flopping around or coming lose in a sword fight is a complete disaster.​

preetikaur

SPNer
Oct 6, 2006
Sat sri akal!!
This is my first post. I have a query. We say "Sab sikhan ko hukum hai, Guru maaniyo Granth"
in our ardaas daily. Is their any qote in Sri Guru Granth Saheb, which says that Sikhs should not even trim their hair?
If everything in our religion is based on scientific reasons, can anyone tell me what is the reason to not maintaining your hair by trimming it?
Hair is meant for protection of our head and other reasons exist, true, but these factors still remain if you do not shave your head.
With the increasing pollution and work stress, there is increasing hair fall which troubles you more when you cannot do anything to your hair.
Guru Nanak Dev ji never laid down any such rules to differentiate Sikhs from others.
Are we following this just to maintain this difference from others?
Sikhism is based on pure thoughts and is free from unnecessary rituals or show offs...
Please tell if this is written in Guru Granth Saheb that no Sikh is allowed to cut/trim his/her hair.

preetikaur

SPNer
Oct 6, 2006
Sat sri akal!!
This is my first post. I have a query. We say "Sab sikhan ko hukum hai, Guru maaniyo Granth"
in our ardaas daily. Is their any qote in Sri Guru Granth Saheb, which says that Sikhs should not even trim their hair?
If everything in our religion is based on scientific reasons, can anyone tell me what is the reason to not maintaining your hair by trimming it?
Hair is meant for protection of our head and other reasons exist, true, but these factors still remain if you do not shave your head.
With the increasing pollution and work stress, there is increasing hair fall which troubles you more when you cannot do anything to your hair.
Guru Nanak Dev ji never laid down any such rules to differentiate Sikhs from others.
Sikhism is based on pure thoughts and is free from unnecessary rituals or show offs...
Please tell if this is written in Guru Granth Saheb that no Sikh is allowed to cut/trim his/her hair.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
From what I was taught it was the failure of Delhi Sikhs to come forward at the challenge by Mogul soldiers to claim their Guru's body after his public execution that prompted Dasmesh Pita to make Sikhs stick out (niarapun) so that they could not hide their faith like Judas.

It worked, within a few generations, Singhs were terrorising the Moghuls and bravely took control of the Panjab not only against Mogul resistance buy also Afghan and Persian.

Rak Karega Khalsa

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Obviously that should read RAJ Karega Khalsa ---- whoops

HEY ADMIN, HOW COMES I HAVEN'T GOT THE EDIT FACILITY ANYMORE! I NEED IT FOR MY PSEUDO-DYSLEXIC MOMENTS.

LearningGuy

SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
I knew that Sikh's can't cut their hair if they are following the 5 Ks.

However I didn't know that they had to tie their hair in a specific manner.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I knew that Sikh's can't cut their hair if they are following the 5 Ks.

However I didn't know that they had to tie their hair in a specific manner.

They don't but in battle you can't have open hair you know, you'll either try to control your hair or fight, that's why even the female sikh warriors had turbans.

Bhagat

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
WJKK WJKF Preeti Ji,

Yes everything is based on logic and scientific reasons. You don't have to trim your hair to maintain them, that's not really maintaining now is it? Maintaining is washing it 1-3 times per week and combing it twice a day and keeping them covered.

Thats like saying I maintain my body by trimming off bits. Whenever I get fat, I simply cut off the excess. :rofl!!: WOW

You are starting to catch on. :) Let me add, that these factors will still remain even if you do not trim your hair.

Which is why, us sikhs wear turbans you know. :cool:

Guru Gobind SIngh Ji, the tenth master did.

YES and NO. It depends. Some even do it because their parents stress it. Personally I love my long hair.:cool:

Unecessary? What are you calling unecessary?:shock: Trimming off hair is unneccesary!

This is where Guru Gobind Singh Ji comes in. :}{}{}:

It is only when you understand the religion properly, will you realize the importance of keeping unshorn hair. :)

WJKK WJKF
Bhagat Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
It seems that no one has clearly answered Preeti Ji's question.

This is where Guru Gobind Singh Ji comes in. :}{}{}:

It is only when you understand the religion properly, will you realize the importance of keeping unshorn hair. :)

This is beating around the bush. I'd like a clear answer, too.
Please?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM