• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yes Kesh, Why Tied?

Jul 13, 2004
UK
I fail to grasp why kesh is tied up. If you keep God's gift, then why hide it under a turban? Covering head it for humility but if you can keep the hair tidy while it is down then what is wrong with that? Does Sikhism really require that of people that they tie it up, comb twice a day and tie a specific head cover? It all seems pointless and ritualistic.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Dear CC,

I see your point. The main thing is to keep nicely maintained Kesh as a God's gift. Then comes other details which may be trivial in terms of whether turban or not, what style (round, pointed etc), color, way of tying (left, right) etc etc.

Now that when Kesh are there, when sikhism came into existence, the sikh forces had to stay long long time in forests, and maintaining those nicely with open kesh (without turban) was not practically possible.

Further, as a head gear, it seems turban balances the gracious outlook of a sikh who has maintained beard - I mean beard at the face' lower side, and turban from upper side.

Hope that helps. Certainly a great thought from your side :)

Jul 13, 2004
UK
ThinkingOne said:
Then comes other details which may be trivial in terms of whether turban or not, what style (round, pointed etc), color, way of tying (left, right) etc etc.

OK, it's ok for it to be tied, but the covering humility, why so much fuss about tying this way, that way? Couldn't it become a thing of ego to worry about this? Wouldn't a simple plain bandana do?

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jun 1, 2004
I agree with Arvind and CC,

Turbans are worn as a statement to others that you are Sardar... a leader... a little bit of fuss does come into play when a person is not satisfied with the outlook of his truban...

But its totally a personal thing... I used to be very fussy about the way I used to wear Turban initally... I would tie it and then re-tie it so that I was satsified about it... but with the passage of time... these things take a backside as we grow... but still I think Sikhs should take care of their bandana or turban so that they tie it neatly. I think its personal choice.

My personal views...

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Hmm.
Well I guess I'll actually mention this since we're on topic. I am actually seriously considering not cutting any of my hair any longer. I'm not a member of the Sikh religion, but well I am beginning to believe this is a righteous thing to do... But my parents see me as a religion hopper, so yeah. And I guess it would be hard for people to accept around me etc. I don't know... Blah :mad:

Being white as well I guess I would get stared at etc... ugh.

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jun 1, 2004
Dear CC

As someone said

" Always follow your Heart... becasue the Almighty stays in your heart..." :)

If you or I feel comfortable with something then what others say does not matter.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
CC reminds me of my elder brother, who had a burning desire to seek more and more. Initially, he used to take at least an hour to wear the turban! Simply not very easily satisfied with things he does. In the thought stream, one fine day, he took off turban, and just maintained kesh, with those flying open. Being in Punjab, born to sikh family, people took it as a matter of gossip. But my brother is a soul, who just doesnt care for, whatever happens, and just follows his heart. He continued keeping his hair not tied, and left them open one, I believe he underwent lot of spiritual changes, beyond my limited grasp of matters. Getting back to point, again, I want to say the turban details are trivial ones. Most importantly, turban is something to remind us always that Ik Ong Kaar exists everywhere, and show your humility and respect all the time, and not only in Gurudwara.

On the lighter side, I guess sikhs cant change hair styles, so they exhibit their that sense of fashion (!) by different turban colors, styles etc. If anyone gets offended with this, I beg for forgiveness, and do point this out, so that I dont repeat this.

Best Regards.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
ThinkingOne said:
On the lighter side, I guess sikhs cant change hair styles, so they exhibit their that sense of fashion (!) by different turban colors, styles etc. If anyone gets offended with this, I beg for forgiveness, and do point this out, so that I dont repeat this.
LOL. Well isn't it better to avoid fashion as this maybe considered attachment to maya?

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I take fashion as an exhibitful way of expressing oneself attractive. And when inner qualities compete drastically (positive side) with outer appearance, then who cares for these things.

Coming back, I guess the discussion of kesh tying or not, turban significance are making sense, CC.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
ThinkingOne said:
I take fashion as an exhibitful way of expressing oneself attractive. And when inner qualities compete drastically (positive side) with outer appearance, then who cares for these things.
Good point... Waheguru gave us personalities, why not express them physically?

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Right... Consider Coal showcased in golden clothes, and Diamonds in untidy clothes. Of course, the true ones who want to be associated with you wont care about superficial details. But as a wordly requirement, I think it would be wonderful, if Diamonds are presented in golden clothes.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
ThinkingOne said:
Right... Consider Coal showcased in golden clothes, and Diamonds in untidy clothes. Of course, the true ones who want to be associated with you wont care about superficial details. But as a wordly requirement, I think it would be wonderful, if Diamonds are presented in golden clothes.
Doesn't Sikhism discourage excess materialism though? ThinkingOneji, either I am dumb, or you are talking in riddles, I am truly lost here! :eek: :confused:

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Perhaps I went to extreme in illustration. On that note, when someone wears golden turban with diamonds, that is against principles i.e. excess materialism. But a simple nicely tied turban is not, and is a matter of maintaining kesh neatly, and showing respect always. IF one can maintain kesh without turban, it is fine.

CC, you are not dumb. However, as all of us here are learners, we are just sharing our thoughts, and trying to understand actual meaning. No riddles... but perhaps by my some writings, I want to sound intelligent(!), Spiritual (!) and learned one(!) and what not ;-) I will try not to.. okay? :)

Best Regards.

Jun 1, 2004
IF one can maintain kesh without turban, it is fine.

I wonder how will this thought go with sikh sangat in general... If this is the case then why is there fuss when sikhs are asked by French to remove religious articles including bandana or turban...?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I am so sorry for the incomplete sentence:
IF one can maintain kesh without turban, it is fine.

I should have said - IF one can maintain kesh without turban and wants to cover head with any other thing, it is fine.

Sometimes, ignorants like me speak with so much authority, this is not good. But for sure, I am here to learn, and I appreciate sikh sangat to point this out :)

Sangat, you are a great help. Best Regards :)

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear ThinkingOne Jee,

Kesh, turban both are requirements of Khalsa Panth. Both are part of Sikh uniform. They are essential requirement for synergy within the Panth. If you are not contributing to the synergy, you will not receive it also. The synergy provides the input for Cardi Kala. What we are is the result of this contribution of many of our past generations. We are tall today standing on the shoulderes of your elders. This support which we got from our earlier generation is a debt with us, which we can pay by providing same support to the coming generations. We must be in Sikh uniform, which includes turban.

With love and Respect for all.

Amarpal

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Amarpal said:
We must be in Sikh uniform, which includes turban.
Here I go slightly off topic again :eek: ... WHY do Sikhs need a uniform? Shouldn't we be more worried about the soul's progress rather than the physical body's progress?

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM