• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yes Kesh, Why Tied?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Oh, sorry for that.

Our physical body gets affected by state of mind. Conversely, state of mind gets affected by physical body. e.g. a happy mind is good for health, and a person with some disease has its impression on his mind also.

Guru ji has asked sikhs to don Bana (the uniform) who is easily identifiable as a saint-soldier due to this. Amarpal ji has talked about this already.

Best Regards.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
guys i just want to quote A Toynbee who is one the most known socio anthropologists ever lived. He has studied different religions n cultures across the globe

He was asked by one lady in a New york conference that who is the most beautiful man u have seen in the whole world? guys hold ur breath he answered a sabat surat sikh who folllowed gurus teaching is the most beautiful person.
and when asked who is the most ugly one he replied," the sikh who inspite of having the gift sikhi destroyed his saroop"
this is not my opinion or neither i m boasting this becoz i m a sikh but the opinion of a well renowned social researcher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
And this is so inpirational too. Even I cant stop myself commenting (in praise of sikhi) on a sabat surat sikh. Such a complete outlook a sikh gets... just wonderful :)

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Coming back - Keeping kesh and dastaar are one of the requirements to be a sikh - told by Guru ji Himself, but as well said - this is a necessary but not sufficient condition. I mean, just by these two, one doesnt become sikh, but keeping kesh/dastaar should be taken as an entry point, and there are other maryada also to be kept.

Some people argue about:
1. keeping unshorn kesh/dastaar with doing evil deeds
2. not maintaining kesh/dastaar but all good deeds
which one being better?

In above point, we are missing the total point, and one needs to carefully understand the meaning of kesh/dastaar being a necessary and not sufficient condition.

Regards.

plamba

SPNer
Jul 1, 2004
Boston, MA
etinder said:
guys i just want to quote A Toynbee who is one the most known socio anthropologists ever lived. He has studied different religions n cultures across the globe

He was asked by one lady in a New york conference that who is the most beautiful man u have seen in the whole world? guys hold ur breath he answered a sabat surat sikh who folllowed gurus teaching is the most beautiful person.
and when asked who is the most ugly one he replied," the sikh who inspite of having the gift sikhi destroyed his saroop"
this is not my opinion or neither i m boasting this becoz i m a sikh but the opinion of a well renowned social researcher

Could you please provide your source for the above information?

plamba

SPNer
Jul 1, 2004
Boston, MA
Khalsa Is a Subset of Sikh

ThinkingOne said:
Keeping kesh and dastaar are one of the requirements to be a sikh - told by Guru ji Himself

Guru Gobind Singh codified the Khalsa, not the Sikh. Please, let's not confuse the two.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Thanks for pointing this out Puneet ji. Looks like sikh and khalsa are two different ones.

I am just trying to infer more as - Sikh is all Khalsa except with Baana? And Khalsa is one who keeps rehat Maryada as per Guru ji's teachings? Is that correct?

If above is correct, then what does this mean? - Rehat pyari mujh ko, sikh pyara nahi

Best Regards.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
I am not sure, if Guru Granth Sahib ji contain anything about Guru Gobind Singh ji's proposed maryada. If no, then why are we becoming amritdhari?

At one time, we go for Guru Granth Sahib ji, and other times go for Guru Gobind Singh's Khalsa fauj, the two seems contradictory to some extent!

Please provide more information on this.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
As there's no such book as Dasam Granth, my understanding of the above verse which does not contradict Sikhi but compliments it, is:

A sikh with Baana but sans Rehat can not be considered a Sikh. In other words, a complete sikh is that that has Baana & Rehat.

Theres nothing called almost sikh.:)

Peace & Love

Tejwant

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Although the discussion has deviated from the original topic of kesh/dastaar, but still it is worth it to get deeper into these basic questions.

Tejwant ji - "a complete sikh is that that has Baana & Rehat." This is what Khalsa is as per Puneet ji. And that s our current discussion if there is a difference in khalsa and sikh? Are both of you talking about different entities or same one?

Thanks for the direction veero :)

Best Regards.

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
plamba said:
Could you please provide your source for the above information?
replying to this puneet ji
i dont remember the source either it was the foreword in Unesco or it was in his study of history, as soon as i come across it again, ill try to note down the exact refernce
regards

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Khalsa and Sikh two separate things?

Guru Gobind codified the Khalsa? which has no relation to Sikh?

Take this for hand :
khu kbIr jn Bey Kwlsy pRym Bgiq ijh jwnI ]4]3]
kahu kabeer jan bheae khaalasae praem bhagath jih jaanee ||4||3||
Says Kabeer, those humble people become pure - they become Khalsa - who know the Lord's loving devotional worship. ||4||3||

quoted from SGGS, for the sake of plamba.

Guru Gobind codified the true sikhs and initiated them into the Khalsa.

The Khalsa and the Sikh are very much inter-related, whether its only stated in the Dasam Granth or not. The quote above is from Bhagat Kabeer, and shows the theory of Khalsa had been around long before Guru Gobind created it.

Khalsa - Brotherhood dedicated to purity of thought and action.
Sikh - seeker of the truth.

When you have reached the position to be able to maintain purity of thought and action, and still continually seek the truth, you become Khalsa.

It can be seen as a goal of a Sikh. As even Kabeer says from the above quote, that the pure ones become the Khalsa.

The Gurus, and many other bhagats simply laid the foundation to become pure, and Guru Gobind added upon this and codified the Khalsa.

As Bhagat Kabeer stated, the Khalsa, the pure, know the Lord's loving devotional worship. Guru Gobind finished the portrait of the Khalsa, and laid the foundation to become similar teachers. As even Guru Gobind, bent down in most humility and talked to Khalsa Panth as if they were his gurus, his teachers, his informers.

Guru Gobind did not randomly create the Khalsa. It was an image prevalent among all the other Gurus and bhagats, Guru Gobind simply finished the portrait, or it can be seen as he finished the goal of a Sikh.
That a Sikh should become part of this pure community, devoted to purity of action and thought, and still continually search for the truth.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM