• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Will I Offend Anyone If I Wear A Punjabi Suit (Salwar Kameez) To Gurdwara?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ohhhh when is the big day!? and Congrats!!!

uhmm I guess when we can both appreciate it, understand it, and have the spiritual understanding to know what we are committing ourselves to.

Neither of us like noisy gatherings, and as unfashionable as it is, I think I would just like Anand Karaj followed by Langar, Mrs Harry has a son, I have two parents and a brother, so it seems pointless hiring a hall with Alaap lol lol lol

We have both led quite crazy lives, and seen enough drunken singing to last a lifetime, it is not a question of being seen to be righteous , for young people getting married, I think it is good to celebrate and be happy, and there is a lot of family to cater for, I think it can be quite a pressure, traditions have to be followed, gifts exchanged etc, I think it is a Punjabi thing, rather than a Sikh thing, I am sure we were 20 years younger, We would do it like everyone else, but as we have both seen life, something quiet and meaningful would be very nice.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
There's drinking at Sikh weddings?
Rory there is drinking at the receptions for most weddings at a banquet or reception hall away from Gurdwaras. There are very few which have no drinking, meats, etc., at a reception.

Sat Sri Akal.

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the help Ambarsaria-ji. I thought intoxicants were generally prohibited (or at least strongly recommended against) in Sikhi, though?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Rory thanks for your post
Thanks for the help Ambarsaria-ji. I thought intoxicants were generally prohibited (or at least strongly recommended against) in Sikhi, though?
According to Sikh Reht Maryada (a framework for to be a Sikh and living accordingly) the following are strongest prohibitions,

The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided
1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.html
Other meats, alcohol and such have been accepted by some people as simply making sense of as extensions to the above. There are threads on Alcohol and Meat at spn if you want to search further.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Akash ji, it will not offend anyone :p The odd person gets surprised, but most become happy seeing the culture spreading.

Out of curiosity, what is your ethnicity?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Akash ji, it will not offend anyone :p The odd person gets surprised, but most become happy seeing the culture spreading.

Out of curiosity, what is your ethnicity?

Caucasian Canadian ....and about as pasty white as I could possibly be!

However, I do have some Native North American in me and it shows in my face bone structure etc. Plus I do have dark hair... I just can't tan!!! :(

And yes, I agree nobody there has said anything bad to me... only good! Everyone keeps telling me a look good in Punjabi Suits! And while there, I feel more comfortable and like I blend in a bit more than if I was wearing western clothing. People around me sometimes do a double take before they notice I am a pasty white Canadian girl lol

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Akasha-ji you should be happy with your skin colour :) This is coming from someone who is regularly being told to go to the doctor by people who think I must have anemia or an iron deficiency.. :grinningsingh:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM