• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Do Indian Vegetarians Have A Problem With Eggs But Not With Milk?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
This question is not about Sikhism, but about the Indian mentality.

In the West vegetarians (not vegans), tend to eat eggs.

In India vegetarians drink milk but do not eat eggs.

Those of you who understand the biological process involved in both will know milk contains far more living organisms (like fat cells and blood cells) than eggs (which is a waste product and unfertilised).

I would request people don't get confused between a fertilised and unfertilised eggs. A fertislised egg produces a chick. An unfertilised egg produces nothing.

I asked a vegan friend of mine this question and her response was Indians are dumb and shouldn't be drinking milk if they don't want to eat any flesh (milk ineffect is liquified flesh). A bit of a generalisation on Indians from a very Liberal person, but it was her view.

her links on Cow milk:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/dairy/

http://www.chooseveg.com/dairy.asp

On how eggs are produced:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54729/whats-the-difference-between-fertilized-and-unfertilized-eggs/

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I have been thinking about it. I don't have eggs, but take milk products. It is like a diet plan I comply with. Obviously there is no feeling of eggs being impure and milk being holy (cow!). I think I once saw some eggs falling off a nest, and I felt sort of weird thing of a mother bird getting separated from would be youngling. And I have seen how some cows are treated, and depriving a calf of the milk is not the right thing to do either. I am not ready yet to give up milk, for that would create problems. Avoiding meat and egg is easy.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

Those of you who understand the biological process involved in both will know milk contains far more living organisms (like fat cells and blood cells) than eggs (which is a waste product and unfertilised).

I would request people don't get confused between a fertilised and unfertilised eggs. A fertislised egg produces a chick. An unfertilised egg produces nothing.

I asked a vegan friend of mine this question and her response was Indians are dumb and shouldn't be drinking milk if they don't want to eat any flesh (milk ineffect is liquified flesh). A bit of a generalisation on Indians from a very Liberal person, but it was her view.

her links on Cow milk:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54729/whats-the-difference-between-fertilized-and-unfertilized-eggs/

I have often questioned the exact same question many times.
It only came to my attention whilst talking with gora vegeterians who have far more knowledge of what is and isn't classified.

You would be surprised to learn that most of the indians don't know that these eggs are NOT gonna be chicks or are simply,- not fertilised.
They actually view it as an 'embryo'- Full stop-, and that is where they are entirely wrong!!!!

The other pointI normally hear is the 'cow is sacred'- this is typical hindu talk of the cow being like a mother in supplying you milk because as a baby you drank your mother's breast milk (although many are keen on formula nowadays) and then you drink from mother cow, yes mother cow, which is why hindus don't eat the beef either!!!! -- This is another crazy and twisted reason. If you are NOT being ritualistic about a cow, then what are you being ?- Nothing in line with sikhism !!

In fact every time I hear it, I order a 14oz sirloin steak to enjoy !!!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I have been thinking about it. I don't have eggs, but take milk products. It is like a diet plan I comply with. Obviously there is no feeling of eggs being impure and milk being holy (cow!). I think I once saw some eggs falling off a nest, and I felt sort of weird thing of a mother bird getting separated from would be youngling. And I have seen how some cows are treated, and depriving a calf of the milk is not the right thing to do either. I am not ready yet to give up milk, for that would create problems. Avoiding meat and egg is easy.

Some interesting points there to do with how people feel about certain things.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
probably a mixture of many...after all hinduism has 33 Kror devtas..and then there is jainism, vaishnavism whatever..

Surely Indian Vegetarians should realise that they are propogating hypocrasy.

They should either think of all becoming Vegans or Vegetarians in the Western sense.

-Ovo-lactose has rationale
-Veganism has rationale
-Lacto Vegetarianism has no rationale whatso ever.

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
Rigveda has numerous instances of animal sacrifice.

Swami Dayanand, in 1875 addition of Satyarth Parkash has advocated that,
'flesh should be used for performing havan morning and evening".(page45)
"it is lawful to kill a sterile cow and eat it"(page302)

Charak Samriti (pages 86-87) prescribed flesh of cow as a cure for various ailments such as
irregular fever,consumption, emaciation etc and cow fat for rheumatism.

Manusmriti does not prohibit the consumption of beef.

Kalidas, in one of his plays, wants guests to be served tender calf meat. :redturban:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Rigveda has numerous instances of animal sacrifice.

Swami Dayanand, in 1875 addition of Satyarth Parkash has advocated that,
'flesh should be used for performing havan morning and evening".(page45)
"it is lawful to kill a sterile cow and eat it"(page302)

Charak Samriti (pages 86-87) prescribed flesh of cow as a cure for various ailments such as
irregular fever,consumption, emaciation etc and cow fat for rheumatism.

Manusmriti does not prohibit the consumption of beef.

Kalidas, in one of his plays, wants guests to be served tender calf meat. :redturban:

Jasbir Kaleka ji, I don't this the debate is so much about meat but about defining vegetarianism.

The Indian Vegetarian thinks eating eggs is bad yet drinking milk is OK? In the 21st century bioligy tells us that an egg can never become a life form. It is in effect part of a hens cycle. It is a waste product.

Milk however, is meant for the calf yet we as men steal it. The process by which milk is made is ineffect through cow's blood.

One could argue there is more life in milk than in eggs.

Why this hypocrasy. I would lover to hear a rationale from a lacto-vegetarian?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Is it Hinduism or Vaishnavism, or something else completely different?

It is very difficult for humans to give up food which is deeply rooted in their culture.After the the hindu's adopted vegetarian diet the meat and egg dishes got practically extinct from mainland India.Milk and milk dishes were used for religous
ceremonies as well as to prepare tasty dishes.Giving up milk could mean for an Indian to give up large part of his/her diet and renounce tasty dishes.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
It is very difficult for humans to give up food which is deeply rooted in their culture.After the the hindu's adopted vegetarian diet the meat and egg dishes got practically extinct from mainland India.Milk and milk dishes were used for religous
ceremonies as well as to prepare tasty dishes.Giving up milk could mean for an Indian to give up large part of his/her diet and renounce tasty dishes.

Indeed you are correct.

One argument I could possibly accept is the idea that people do not wish to eat flesh in a certain form i.e. solid. This despite milk being liquified flesh.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Indeed you are correct.

One argument I could possibly accept is the idea that people do not wish to eat flesh in a certain form i.e. solid. This despite milk being liquified flesh.

I think its simply "prejudice"..look at how GROSS a normal person would feel when passing through a typical Meat Market in say..Cambodia...there are all sorts of wild life, insects, creatures one has never even seen before..laid out as "food"...people buying {censored}roaches and crunching on them like peanuts..or drinking live cobra blood while the snake is being skinned alive..etc etc..
Just yesterday i saw a hilarious ad for Aircel on sat..a diner ordered a dish just by pointing at the menu..and later wanted to conform what he was eating was chicken..so he called the waiter and flapped his arms..(Meaning IS THIS Chicken ?)..but the waiter shook his head and said Woof Woof ..(meaning its dog meat)..and the Catch Phrase..You get what you READ !!

So a lot of Indians/plus a lot others too... have been brainwashed to accept liquified flesh as Good and healthy and HOLY..while the bloo.dy type prepared by Sadhna the Butcher is Gross.japposatnamwaheguru:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think its simply "prejudice"..look at how GROSS a normal person would feel when passing through a typical Meat Market in say..Cambodia...there are all sorts of wild life, insects, creatures one has never even seen before..laid out as "food"...people buying {censored}roaches and crunching on them like peanuts..or drinking live cobra blood while the snake is being skinned alive..etc etc..
Just yesterday i saw a hilarious ad for Aircel on sat..a diner ordered a dish just by pointing at the menu..and later wanted to conform what he was eating was chicken..so he called the waiter and flapped his arms..(Meaning IS THIS Chicken ?)..but the waiter shook his head and said Woof Woof ..(meaning its dog meat)..and the Catch Phrase..You get what you READ !!

So a lot of Indians/plus a lot others too... have been brainwashed to accept liquified flesh as Good and healthy and HOLY..while the bloo.dy type prepared by Sadhna the Butcher is Gross.japposatnamwaheguru:

A brilliant point. So it's all relative to what that person findss aceptable? This sounds like Nanakian philosophy?

Oct 21, 2009
India

her links on Cow milk:

Let us look at few facts before you arrive at some conclusion.

India is not a rich country.The per capita income of Indians is about 3 Dollar. India might have been ranked as world's 11 the economy in terms of GDP but per capita GDP would be would be dismal. India might have been termed as developing economy but it shall take time before it can be considered as a force to be reckoned with. Geography and history has not been kind enough to it.Lots of resources are wasted on keeping its neighbours in appropriate place.It all costs money at the cost of development.

India being thickly populated by Hindus has been considered as vegetarian society. There is a cultural heritage to not to consume eggs on account of fact that eggs are considered as 'excereta' of hen as it is thrown out of excretory hole of the same. It is considered as unholy by many. No one can change this mentality. Secondly, eggs cost these days about One Dollar a dozen and price of some cheap pulses is about the same or little higher. Eggs may serve as a single meal of a middle class family while 1 kg of pulse may be enough for four of five servings. The reason is thus twin fold , the sheer economics coupled with cultural heritage of majority of Indians. Things are changing though. However, I find nothing sarcastic though in the proposition stated above.

A misconception is to be removed in regard to whether milk is a liquefied meat.It is not so. Liquefied milk is a different concept. Liquefied meat is a form of meat.[refer wiKipedia].Milk is different altogether. It is a common knowledge that milk is processed in the udders of cow or mammary glands of the mother. But just because it is produced from blood it does not mean that milk is a blood. A child sucks milk from mother's breast without killing her. The claim that while consuming milk one is consuming blood has no validity either scientific or otherwise.It is a notion that has no scientific basis

Coming to second point as to why milk is being consumed; It is a source of cheap nourishment even for the lower middle class family who is not bothered about microbes or other living organism that it may contain. It is the way the nature exists. and we respect Nature. Milk is considered Holy and that is why Harmandar sahib, where Sri Guru Granth saheb is to be installed daily is washed and cleaned by diluted milk.

There is no scope of further debate unless one wants to enter into for the sake of it.

E & .O.E

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
"""""<<<>Milk has been considered as holy and it is offered to Gods. Bhagat Namdev ji..." Doodh pee-o Gobinday raa-e. Doodh pee-o Mayro man Patee-a[ang 1163]

In this verse Bhagat Nam dev ji prays to God to take milk.Listening to the prayer, God Almighty appeared in person and drank the milk and Bhagat ji happily walked to his home. Can anyone imaging the Milk being replaced by Blood? Could Namdev ji have offered glass of blood to to God instead of milk? Something to ponder.<<<<<< In this Verse Bhagat namdev Ji says..I have "milked" the Snow-White COW...placing its milk in a GOLDEN VESSEL, and Water in another vessel..and offered it up to HIM..

In another verse Bhagat Namdev Says..I have used the GOLDEN NEEDLE, threaded with the SILVER thread and SEWED together MY HEART with HIM )

Its very clear and Transparent that Bhagat Namdev Ji is USING METAPHORS and not REAL GOLDEN VESSELS and Silver Threads and really SEWING up his Mann/Mind/heart !! To take the verses LITERALLY as "MILK form a Cow put in a vessel and offered t Him and He actually DRANK it and showed His happiness" is ??? The Golden VEssel is Namdev's Heart/mind/mann...and the Holy MILK within is the MILK/AMRIT of NAAM...and that is what makes HIM GLAD !!! ( and remember the SGGS is a LIVING PRACTICAL TOOLBOX with Practical TOOLS we all can use and this "experience that Namdev Ji had with HIM is NOT a One-off thing that happened 700 years ago..IT CAN and DOES HAPPEN DAILY anywhere a Genuine BHAGAT SIKH like You and ME...OFFERS the Milk of Amrit NAAM to HIM on a Silver Platter (another Common Metaphor and there is no need to go and buy a real Silver Platter esp with the SOARING SILVER PRICES TODAY which "poor" Indian esp a BHAGAT NAMDEV TYPE can afford to buy GOLD vessels, Gold Needles, Silver Threads and sew Hearts and Minds ??? SGGS is a PRACTICAL TEACHER..so lets be PRACTICAL guys....!! Born with a Silver SPOON in the mouth type of Bhagat possibly could have done all these but then it has already been ESTABLISHED that INDIANS are Really DIRT POOR then and Now ).....People - HE accepts a "HEART OF GOLD....filled to the BRIM with the Naam Amrit MILK of LOVE..and then HE "Smiles and SETTLES DOWN - "goes Home" RIGHT INSIDE OF YOU !! where his HOME really IS. That is the actual and real Meaning of the Bhagat namdev Verses on Page 1163. No cows, no gold vessels, no silver water vessels, no gold needles, no silver threads..NOTHING of the Sort....and certainly no "milk drinking ganesh.thakur/god etc"...SGGS is a PRACTICAL MANUAL with Practical TOOLS we ALL Can and MUST USE daily.:tablakudi::tablakudi::tablakudi::tablakudi::tablakudi:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Precisely Gyani Ji, the milk in reference is not the dairy milk we drink!!

These metaphors are applied wrongly very easily in the incorrect manner.

The milk is ambrosial 'amrit', the golden vessel is the mind or the physical human body.
- cleanse and purify the mind with the amrit of naam!!!

We CANNOT simply take ALL these metaphors literally.
I notice in many places the mention of 'jo rat piche or rat pindha' this 'rat' is blood and the 'pivhe or pindha' is the drinker or sucker.
To suck or drink someones blood, blood thirsty beings..etc...
-This is NO reference to just 'Vampires' who are labelled as blood suckers, but this refers to stealing some one's hard earned labour, someone who like a slave is made to work and sweat for others...etc...etc..

We have to be careful with such metaphors and terms. Sometimes, they don't become apparent immediately, but we should look carefully to see if we sense or feel an essence or not- this can normally guide us in the correct direction.

Waheguru

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The MAIN REASON behind these Literal meaning proliferation is the Totally uneducated Saadhs-babas of deras who sing such ONE LINERS with such Gusto and dholkis chhennehs ( Indian cymbals)banging hard so the Sangats MINDS become closed due to NOISE POLLUTION...and the excessive noise drugs the ears closed...
So a KACHA babas like Dhadriwallh will belt out a single liner..Katoreh vich paaliah dudh bhagat namdev neh..tur piyah lekeh soneh dee katoree...boloh ji snagato..waheguru....which is why KACHI BANI takes precedence over genuine GURBANI when these half baked sants and babas take the stage to do parchaar....all take it as Gospel truth spoken by a "brahmgyani" supposedly all knowing about the BRAHM but who deoesnt even know whats behind his back as GURU NANAK JI showed at hardwaar !!:singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: