• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Is More Important Simran Or Sewa?

Which is more important Simran or Sewa?

• Total voters

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luckyji

Good deeds alone by their very definition are a complete waste of time. If a deed needs to be preceded by the word 'good' than it implies some sort of quota system, ie, 'today I will do some good deeds' as opposed to 'today I will not do some good deeds', surely when all deeds are good, than there is no distinction between deeds and good deeds. The argument between what is more important is pointless, good deeds alone, just like simran on its own, is pointless. I would have thought what makes a person is what their thoughts are. Actions and deeds can be made regardless, but a mindset, that is a different matter.

Harryji, it's the thoughts that lead to actions.
A priest is so because of his actions, a chef is so because of his actions, a thief is so because of his actions, a mechanic is so because of his actions. I am so because of my actions but yes, I would rather be judged and assumed by my thoughts if that were possible.
I mean people in general know you and me from our actions and what we do, it would be nice, if instead they actually knew our thoughts so they could get a better and true picture.
I've just realised whilst saying this, that when we know another's thoughts really well is actually when we love that person. Our partners know our thoughts and thats what makes them soul mates or lovers.

Harryji, you are absolutely correct in saying it's the thoughts that make who you are, but others, except the lord and the ones that love us can't see our thoughts and so they know us by our actions only. So what you come across as to the rest of the world is by your actions, but who you really are is by your thoughts.

It's a good interesting point you made which helped me realise this.

putting yourself in a trance through repetition of words, it is a drug like state with little or no redeeming features in my opinion.

It's not drug like as you remember everything and are more than aware of what is going on. To be in a trance like state, yes, drugs and certain types of music can help people achieve this. But this state of trance is much pure and connected with the lord, try it and see!!

all one has to do is listen, elaborate breathing/muttering/chanting bring nothing extra, I can be in touch and tune with Creator whilst I am driving, walking, eating, it is the concept of a special time when one gets in touch and in tune with Creator that I find hilarious, its a bit like those that think God only exists in the temple, and outside of that anything goes. I have also explained before, but will also say again, this is not my definition of simran, this is my definition of meditation.

There is nothing hilarious, you have said yourself in another post that you feel more connected and have a 'time out' with the lord so to say on your walk to work. This is the same as having a so called 'special time'.
There is nothing wrong with this, it's perfectly normal human behaviour.

I can do simran and meditation virtually anywhere if I can free my mind.
I find myself meditating whilst walking, at the gym, in the steam/sauna, whilst listening to music, in the shower. It doesn't have to be somehwere where I hide away from everyone.

I have heard the same phrase used by pot smoking hippies, next you will be telling me you can smell the colours too

It has to be experienced to understand. The hippies, rastafarians..etc.. are all out looking for ways to be in harmony with creation. Some of them found it with yoga meditation and japji sahib and became 3HO.

Actually I do not, I did, but I have shifted my opinion, I think that seva for the purposes of doing seva is no more superior than simran for the purposes of simran. I think that far more important than either is the state of Naam, the state of connection, that does away with the whole argument altogether, once you have achieved naam, everything is mapped out for you, your connection is 100% 24/7, under this state everything is seva and simran, all at the same time.

Very true, but like I have said before the simran and meditation is like a tool that helps you to achieve this state. If one can achieve without it then that's even better. In this case the seva automatically follows the simran along with everything else.

There can also be ego in simran, lets face it, there can be ego in everything, seva without understanding, without it coming from the heart, without it being an extension of your mindset, can only be the product of ego

Simran and meditation helps to bring your own disguised hidden ego to the forefront. This is the difference, it helps you to confront it.
Whereas seva can fool one's ego quite easily, so one has to be careful and cautious.

Waheguru

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Luckyji

thank you for your reply, one comment did make me chuckle though,

Harryji, it's the thoughts that lead to actions.
A priest is so because of his actions, a chef is so because of his actions, a thief is so because of his actions, a mechanic is so because of his actions. I am so because of my actions but yes, I would rather be judged and assumed by my thoughts if that were possible.

maybe its just me Veerji, but I am more than happy to be judged on my actions than my thoughts. If I were judged on my thoughts, then I really would be in big trouble peacesignkaur

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Luckyji

thank you for your reply, one comment did make me chuckle though,

maybe its just me Veerji, but I am more than happy to be judged on my actions than my thoughts. If I were judged on my thoughts, then I really would be in big trouble peacesignkaur
This is just it though, we can hide our thoughts away from others. But we cannot hide them from God because he hears them all.
The more we don't allow these thoughts to influence our actions, the more control we gain, and eventually the mind will give up trying to annoy you :)

the trick is (as we always dissagree on) if i ignore these evil thoughts whilst walking around and living my daily lives...it will clean up my conscios mind, but if i confront these thoughts in Simran/meditation i can wipe them from my SUBconscious mind...the root of the thoughts which will purify me.

Therefore rather than me having perverted thoughts about someone, but not acting on them.....the perverted thought will not even manifest in my mind and my actions towards that other someone will be completely pure and i'll TRUELY recognise the god in her.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
the trick is (as we always dissagree on) if i ignore these evil thoughts whilst walking around and living my daily lives...it will clean up my conscios mind, but if i confront these thoughts in Simran/meditation i can wipe them from my SUBconscious mind...the root of the thoughts which will purify me.

Therefore rather than me having perverted thoughts about someone, but not acting on them.....the perverted thought will not even manifest in my mind and my actions towards that other someone will be completely pure and i'll TRUELY recognise the god in her.
S. Chaz Singh Ji

I am really shocked to learn this invention, lokan raam khilona jana. If it is so then why Guru sahib have said to repetition of any word as 'kudi kudeh thees' it is just wasteful action.

Best regards
Mohinder Sinh Sahni

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
S. Chaz Singh Ji

I am really shocked to learn this invention, lokan raam khilona jana. If it is so then why Guru sahib have said to repetition of any word as 'kudi kudeh thees' it is just wasteful action.

Best regards
Mohinder Sinh Sahni

Satnaam Mohinder Ji,

I said 'Simran/meditation' - did i mention repetition of a Word?
Simran to me (through my 'own' experience and i thank guru ji for it) is a million times more than just repetition of a word.
Also when i use a mantra, it is not merely a word, it is shabad guru - vibration of sound/energy.
I can only talk via my own experience so appology if it is different from yourself.

Gurbani talk constantly about meditation/simran and focussing with 'Ek man' single minded om God.

God bless everyone.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
This is just it though, we can hide our thoughts away from others. But we cannot hide them from God because he hears them all.
The more we don't allow these thoughts to influence our actions, the more control we gain, and eventually the mind will give up trying to annoy you :)

Chazji

First and foremost, I think what you have is brilliant for you, I am not trying to change your mental setup.

I never ignore my thoughts, and they are not normally of a sexual nature, it is more like a customer comes in, and I can tell they just want free advice, so mentally, my mind is thinking, 'here is another time waster wasting my time', and they start asking questions, and I am mentally answering ' look fatty, your not going to buy anything, so why not just **** off and leave me alone', what actually comes out of my mouth is ' there there, tell me all about it and I will see if I can help you with any advice' and I nod and make sympathetic noises, but all the time, my thoughts are going in the opposite direction, ' hmm obesity and halitosis, what a wonderful combination'.

I did spend some time being absolutely honest, and that actually got me a following of people who thought I was hilarious, a sort of Basil Fawlty computer shop owner, people would come in just to be abused, but I realised I would rather at least be 50% in tune with Sikhi through my actions than not at all.

I deal with these inner voices through teaching them, I have to teach them the wisdom of patience, kindness, love for others with no return, I do this through study and practical observations, to do meditation in order to combat them seems pointless, but that is only to me, and I do not wish to deride something that you clearly get a lot of support from, but I think it is questionable whether it is truly Sikhi or not. There are many quotes that come to mind that deride meditation in the SGGS. It is a word I hate to use with respect to my relationship with Creator, I find contemplation a much better word.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji

First and foremost, I think what you have is brilliant for you, I am not trying to change your mental setup.

I never ignore my thoughts, and they are not normally of a sexual nature, it is more like a customer comes in, and I can tell they just want free advice, so mentally, my mind is thinking, 'here is another time waster wasting my time', and they start asking questions, and I am mentally answering ' look fatty, your not going to buy anything, so why not just **** off and leave me alone', what actually comes out of my mouth is ' there there, tell me all about it and I will see if I can help you with any advice' and I nod and make sympathetic noises, but all the time, my thoughts are going in the opposite direction, ' hmm obesity and halitosis, what a wonderful combination'.

I did spend some time being absolutely honest, and that actually got me a following of people who thought I was hilarious, a sort of Basil Fawlty computer shop owner, people would come in just to be abused, but I realised I would rather at least be 50% in tune with Sikhi through my actions than not at all.

I deal with these inner voices through teaching them, I have to teach them the wisdom of patience, kindness, love for others with no return, I do this through study and practical observations, to do meditation in order to combat them seems pointless, but that is only to me, and I do not wish to deride something that you clearly get a lot of support from, but I think it is questionable whether it is truly Sikhi or not. There are many quotes that come to mind that deride meditation in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It is a word I hate to use with respect to my relationship with Creator, I find contemplation a much better word.

I think it all boils down to everyones own experience and understanding of the words Simran and Meditation.

Some people think Simran is just parrot chanting...and at an intial stage it maybe was for even myself.
But it develops to something so much more. We can spend all our lives trying to find/experience god on the outside but gurbani says all along, look within...he's right there. So Simran develops day by day, gets deeper and deeper to a point where the repeating of a mantra just helps you setlle and increase conscentration, after that what happens is beyond words.

Contemplation is a great word, and probably describes it perfectly...and its grace that gets you doing that in the first place. The 'seeking' is grace of guru. the wanting to know and find out is 'grace of guru'.

I used to sit and contemplate at work, in the car...and i still do...i'm doing it now sat at work :) but in deep Simran, the contemplation becomes like a one to one connection to god. hard to explain.

Keep doing what you're doing...its all great.

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Mohinder Singh ji

:
ਵਦੀ ਸੁ ਵਜਗਿ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸਚਾ ਵੇਖੈ ਸੋਇਸਭਨੀ ਛਾਲਾ ਮਾਰੀਆ ਕਰਤਾ ਕਰੇ ਸੁਹੋਇvadee so vajag naankaa sachaa vaykhai so-ay.sabhnee chhaalaa maaree-aa kartaa karay so ho-ay.

Whatever the Lord (WaheGuru) has ordained will happen. O Nanak, the True Lord, himself, watches over us (sustains life). All beings (being ambitious) exert themselves to the fullest but the reward is in His Hands – the end result is as He desires.

I personally cannot reconcile your version with the one above taking the preceding tuk into account (possibly my own shortcomings as I am only at the kindergarten stage of my spiritual journey). I would not dare debate this with you as I have immense respect for you. I think both interpretations have positive outcomes and that is what matters in the end. Interpretation of Gurbani is without limitations and we come up with different pearls of wisdom every time we explore the fathomless ocean of Sachi Bani.

I wish to share with you my understanding of the whole Pauri which follows the above pankti. I think you have referred to this as sloak in error as the sloak (dukh daru sukkh roag) follows the Pauri. I found your interpretation of the last tuk very interesting (wouldn’t expect anything less from you) although it varies from mine. Again both positive interpretations do no harm, in my opinion.

PAURI
ਪਉੜੀਧੁਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਜਿਨਾ ਕਉ ਤੁਧੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤਾ ਤਿਨੀ ਖਸਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆdhur karam jinaa ka-o tudh paa-i-aa taa tinee khasam dhi-aa-i-aa. ਏਨਾ ਜੰਤਾ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਤੁਧੁ ਵੇਕੀ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆaynaa jantaa kai vas kichh naahee tudh vaykee jagat upaa-i-aa.

ਇਕਨਾ ਨੋ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਲਿ ਲੈਹਿ ਇਕਿ ਆਪਹੁ ਤੁਧੁ ਖੁਆਇਆ iknaa no too<SUP>n</SUP> mayl laihi ik aaphu tudh khu-aa-i-aa ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਜਾਣਿਆ
ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਜਿਥੈ ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪੁ ਬੁਝਾਇਆਸਹਜੇ ਹੀ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ੧੧॥
gur kirpa tay janyaa jithai tudh aap bujhyi-aa. sehjay hee sach samayi-aa.

TRANSLATION (based on my limited knowledge):

PAURI:

Those who are blessed by You, from the very beginning, meditate upon You.

In this colourful (multi-coloured, eventful) world as established by You, the Jeevas (beings) have little control upon what they do.

Some, by your Will, merge in You whilst the others remain separated.

With Guru’s mehar He acknowledges and makes Himself known to the devotee. Then, with ease the devotee is absorbed in Divine Bliss (immersed in You).

I had great difficulty in translating the last pankti despite referring to Prof. Sahib Singh ji’s Gurmukhi Teeka - Sri Guru Granth Darpan.

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਜਿਥੈ ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪੁ ਬੁਝਾਇਆਸਹਜੇ ਹੀ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ੧੧॥
ਗੁਰਕਿਰਪਾ… Guru mehar;ਜਾਣਿਆ.…. recognise, acknowledge
ਬੁਝਾਇਆ…made known to me; ਸਹਜੇ….with ease;ਸਚਿ (adolta, tikau) ….equipoiseਸਮਾਇਆ…absorbed, immersed

I am sure there are other and even better interpretations. Please do refer to Sri Guru Granth Darpan. As you know, it is very thorough and pays a lot of attention to vocabulary and grammar – I am not saying it is always right, but a little bit of our own experience and perception can help.

Mohinder ji my main aim here is only to exchange notes and not contradict or up-stage anyone. It is a learning and sharing process. I know you are spiritually blessed and may see things differently from me. I am indebted to your earlier input on this.

Sincere apologies for any oversight and errors.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Last edited by a moderator:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
S. Arshi Ji

Welcome back and trust you will continue and share your understanding of gurbani with us.

Arshi Ji my understanding of gurbani reveals 'gurmat's evergreen unique message is 'eh kar kariah so eh kar paey' thus it dismisses interpretation of 'dhur' blessed from the beginning or concept of brought forward blessing of previous life. Thus 'dhur' stands for inner voice(antar atma) or that pivot around which our thought whether of 'manh' or 'gur ki matt' revolves.

When gurbani says 'tu karta karna mai nahi' it is out of humility guru sahib is telling otherwise everything is done by us and us only whether reflected with gur ki matt or manh ki matt.

I hope I clarified your query.

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks for the short reply ji. I will keep mine equally short and to the point.

You wrote:

“inner voice(antar atma) or that pivot around which our thought whether of 'manh' or 'gur ki matt' revolves.”

Agreed on this - however, the ‘trick’, in my humble opinion, lies in the correct interpretation of what gurmat is. When embarking on our journey we have the choice of lifting the left or the right foot - mamat or gurmat ! The path of gurmat, for us mortals, may tend to hover somewhere between our free will and His Hukam.

We continue to learn from each other.

Best regards ji

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Last edited by a moderator:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Original ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for your views but I am a bit confused so I need your indulgence to understand what you have mentioned.

I am sure you know what omnipresence means and Ik Ong Kaar is omnipresent. The proof is in the Wow! and Awe! factors that surround us.

So, is there a possibility that we are taking the meanings of some words quite literally rather than delving into the true meanings what our visionary Gurus are trying to convey through the beautiful poetry of Gurbani?

To Love someone does not mean nor does it require to repeat 24/7 to your lover-in this case the omnipresent and omniscient Ik Ong Kaar who knows each pore of our body- "I love you" but to show what love is through deeds.

You write:

I have a question for you. What do you understand by the word " Simr" as mentioned above?

Is it just parroting and if that is so, then what good does it bring?

Or does it mean something totally different than we have been trained to think about it?

Please share your views so we all can learn from this wonderful interaction.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Tejwant Singh

Forgive me for the long delay in responding to your enquiry - been away from SPN for quite a while and have just this minute, reconnected.

PLEASE NOTE:

I’m not inviting debate and argument over “religious belief”- purely on rational

grounds. That is to say, from a philosophical perspective, both reason and

empirical observation cannot prove the existence of God. At best, religion acts

as a dimension to bridge the gap between the two. This gap is filled by “faith”-

Sikhism. Weighty questions of this type ought to be left to the faith of the

individual – this then is a special feature of Guru Nanak's Sikhism, believe me.

Let us enjoy therefore !

Here goes……

First and foremost - Guru Nanak's school of thought is, so to speak, more pragmatic than theoretical reasoning - hence the maxim, "higher than truth is truthful living". And, the emphasis has always been on character and conduct [pauri 38 Japji Sahib], compounded by the three pillers that underpins Sikhism – kirit kar, nam jap and vand shak.

By definition, Sikhism is not a Philosophy; that’s because, philosophy seeks

truth by reason and argument, both religion and mysticism do so by intuition

and revelation. I’m glad you’ve recognized that Gurbani is actually a “beautiful

poetry”. AND, to add if I may – Professor Sahib Singh in his wonderful wisdom

went on to decipher Japji Sahib magnificently and explains:

Pauri 1 –3 talks about the gulf between God and Human and how it can be

filled;

Pauri 4 – 7 points in a direction that, no gifts or offerings at the House of Lord

will be accepted; alone communication and that too in the Lord’s language

of “love” (Gurbani) [prem patola – amrit vela sacha nauo] will suffice.

Japji Sahib together with the Mool Mantra is a preamble if you like to further

follow, permeate, understand and obey the letter and the spirit of the House

of Nanak, namely, SGGSJ. The word simran is used in that context, to

remember “parmatma” from whence this here “atma” is separated.

Simran (Punjabi: ਸਿਮਰਨ, Hindi: सिमरन ) is a Punjabi word derived from the

Sanskrit wordस्मरण (smaraṇa, "the act of remembrance, reminiscence,

recollection") which leads to the realization of that which is of the highest

aspect and purpose in one's life.

Literal meaning of simr simr as used by Gur Arjan in Sukhmani is perhaps

to repeat the “name” of the Lord and remember. This act will, at Satgur’s

grace (Gur Parsad) shower benevolence. However, Professor Sahib Singh Ji

acknowledges the word “jap” as equivalent to that of “simran” insofar

repetition and remembrance of the Lord. The use of the word simran by the

Banikars (authors of SGGSJ) is to show separation from the beloved and to utter

[jap - repeat] its name in remembrance [simran].

Seva is, literally speaking – service. Some commentators join the two,

simran is seva. Whatever is rendered without personal interest in Sikh

theology is “seva”. However, from a practical Sikh perspective, whatever

exertion, be it mental or physical, be it voluntary or involuntary is

rendered is considered seva - more like a bank statement if you like, credit-

debit. That which is voluntary becomes creative in this and the next world, and

that which is involuntary is repayment of past karm. All this on account of a

detereministic world view.

That said, Kabir Ji sums it neatly:

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਪੂਰਬੀ ਬਾਵਨ ਅਖਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕੀ ੴ ਸਤਿਨ

ਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ਬਾਵਨ ਅਛਰ ਲੋਕ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਸਭ

ੁ ਕਛੁ ਇਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥ ਏ ਅਖਰ ਖਿਰਿ ਜਾਹਿਗੇ

ਓਇ ਅਖਰ ਇਨ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੧॥p340 SGGSJ

In a nutshell, Kabir explains that the 52 Letters of the Alphabet (Sanskrit) can take us to the world of Ek on kar but because of its ineffability cannot do full justice in describing and detailing – simply because, those letters are not in the alphabet.

Wow and Awe are states of being or “indescribable moments” if you like; they

can only be experienced – grammatical construction fail to capture their true exposure – some commentators refer to them as "a-ha" moments, meaning "euphoric state".

When Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon - "wow" was that moment albeit

explainable through scientific means. Moreover, a total solar eclipse which takes place every 12 years or so, is also, that moment. Similarly, Guru Nanak when in that mystical state of being, also lets-go of the semantic and syntax characteristics of everyday language and expresses it as "Wah- guru". And, since Nanak’s “guru” was “shabd”- his natural exclamation was “Wah-e-guru”. The chanting of this particular gurmantra enables a gursikh to connect with the sound current – Anhad Shabd [page 124 SGGSJ].

Hope this helps –

Take care -

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Simran is a way for us to understand the painter rather than be attached to the painting...
Simran allows us to once again realize that there is something more than just the show that is in motion
Simran allows us to realize that we are more than just the character that is playing out in the show

Can there be anything more amazing than that...while the world is entangled in the Show, the Sikh stops for a moment...contemplates and wonders if this is the 'complete' reality...

the sikh gets ridiculed because everyone laughs at him/her saying he/she is crazy...whatever we see, hear, touch, taste and smell...this is all there is you crazy nutter...you are nutts

the sikh however feels a deep love, thirst which develops deep within, to not listen to the lost souls that wander aimlessly, but to follow the calling that materializes deep within him/herself.

The sikh on contemplating deep within comes to know of the truth of existance...that there is something that never is born and never dies...

The sikh becomes a complete khalsa..

the sikh then inspires others to seek this 'truth'...

the more souls that awaken to this truth, the more heavenly the world naturally becomes.

Therefore, Simran is NOT for the SELF...SIMRAN IS THE GREATEST SEVA A PERSON CAN DO..
TO GIVE UP ALL THE ENTICEMENTS OF THE WORLD, TO AWAKEN TO THE TRUTH AND THEN INSPIRE OTHERS TO SEEK IT.

THIS IS TRUE SERVICE TO HUMANITY

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
hmm a state of mind, sounds very yogi like to me....

in what way does a state of mind sound very yogi like ji?
i mean, for example...two people could be sat in the same room and witness an event...one becomes frightened, fearful and freezes..
the other keeps a clear headm keeps his emotions in check, analyzes the situation, looks for a solution, and attempts to execute the solution.

is this describing two very different states of mind? is this now Yogic?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Simran is a way for us to understand the painter rather than be attached to the painting...
Simran allows us to once again realize that there is something more than just the show that is in motion
Simran allows us to realize that we are more than just the character that is playing out in the show

Can there be anything more amazing than that...while the world is entangled in the Show, the Sikh stops for a moment...contemplates and wonders if this is the 'complete' reality...

the sikh gets ridiculed because everyone laughs at him/her saying he/she is crazy...whatever we see, hear, touch, taste and smell...this is all there is you crazy nutter...you are nutts

the sikh however feels a deep love, thirst which develops deep within, to not listen to the lost souls that wander aimlessly, but to follow the calling that materializes deep within him/herself.

The sikh on contemplating deep within comes to know of the truth of existance...that there is something that never is born and never dies...

The sikh becomes a complete khalsa..

the sikh then inspires others to seek this 'truth'...

the more souls that awaken to this truth, the more heavenly the world naturally becomes.

Therefore, Simran is NOT for the SELF...SIMRAN IS THE GREATEST SEVA A PERSON CAN DO..
TO GIVE UP ALL THE ENTICEMENTS OF THE WORLD, TO AWAKEN TO THE TRUTH AND THEN INSPIRE OTHERS TO SEEK IT.

THIS IS TRUE SERVICE TO HUMANITY

Thank you for the response Chaz Singh, but you've missed the point I was trying to make. The question at source was "simran" the meaning thereof liteally and metaphorically. You're quite right insofar analytical exponential of the word simran but the context within which the Banikars use it is as detailed in my earlier text.

Much obliged

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM