• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Value Of Fasting ?

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Q50. What is the value of fasting?

Source: "Introduction to Sikhism" Author: Gobind Singh Mansukhani

• Fasting is good for health but has no religious merit. Some sects of the Hindus hold very strong views on fasting. For them, fasting has some real value and has to be strictly followed.

• Sikhism does not regard fasting as meritorious. God has given us the human body - the temple of the soul - which has to be nourished and cared for. Fasting as an austerity, as a ritual, as a mortification of the body by means of wilful hunger is forbidden in Sikhism. Guru Nanak says: "Penance, fasting, austerity and alms-giving are inferior to 'The Truth'; right action is superior to all."

There are sects which do not eat this or that. Some peole will not eat cereals, but will take other types of food. Such people may be treated as hypocrites. They give up the use of certain type of food, not because they want to, but because they wish to impress others. It feeds their Ego and does not earn merit. According to Guru Nanak, true fasting is the renunciation of the fruit of one's actions.

Fasting for reasons of health is understandable when done on medical advice. Some people fast regularly on a particular day in the week, so resting their digestive organs. It may also serve as a means to save food, or a method of balancing the domestic budget.

• Sikhism encourages temperance and moderation in matters of food. Neither starve nor over-eat: this is the golden mean. Men who want to engage in meditation should only eat simple and nourishing food. Healthy food but in small quantities(Alap Ahar), just to keep body and soul together and to prevent sleep and sloth, this is recommended for the devotee. On the other hand, gluttony is not only socially bad, but also morally reprehnsible.

• The golden rule about fasting is: Fast only when you must, in the interest of your health.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kabaabsaab ji

Interesting that you now admit you are a Muslim whereas as Mr. Chaudry in your previous identities on SPN you disavowed your faith in order to mislead people.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
QUOTE:

Also how can i be 'a Muslim' when he's already a banned member?

Really ?? dont tell me you dont know about MULTIPLE IDS..RE-REGISTERING under "new ID"...etc. ??
ha ha ha good one.:}8-::}8-:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

A wonderful, maybe one of the best in my book, of Nusrah Fateh Ali Khan. This is a very unusual performance because there are 5 male voices participating in the "call and return" segments: Nuzrah and 4 other men. Usually Nusrah does that with one other male or at the most two.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
is this in the Quran?

And from the wisdom behind fasting is that it trains one to curb the soul, and it gives one strength to withhold his soul by its bridle, such that one can govern it and lead it towards that which is good for it and what will make it prosper. This is because the soul commands one to do evil, except for those souls that my Lord has mercy on. So when a person undoes and lets go of his (soul's) bridle, the soul lands him into many dangers. But when he controls it and curbs it, he is able to lead it to the highest of levels and the greatest of goals.

Because if it is then the entire argument that Sikhism is Islam in disguise would be laughable in the eyes of any Muslim who has made a study of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It already is laughable to Sikhs :roll:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
NamJap ji

A wonderful, maybe one of the best in my book, of Nusrah Fateh Ali Khan. This is a very unusual performance because there are 5 male voices participating in the "call and return" segments: Nuzrah and 4 other men. Usually Nusrah does that with one other male or at the most two.

In the beginning of the video there is a poem read by Nusrat's group as follows:-

Makkay Giyaa Gal Mukdi Nahin pavaii sao sao jummay parr aiye

Devotion is not complete just by going to Mecca even if we attend Jumaa hundreds of times.

Gangga giyaa gal mukdi nahin pavaii sao sao gottay khaiiyeh

Devotion is not complete even if we submerge our bodies and bathe in the Ganges River hundreds of times.

Gaiya giyaa gal mukdi nahin pavaii sao sao pandh parraiye

Devotion is not complete even if we read hundreds of piles of religious books

Bulleh Shah, gal taiyuu mukdi jadh MEIN nu dillau gawaiiye

Bulleh Shah says, devotion is complete only when the "I-ness" is removed from our hearts.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Kabir also says,

The unstruck drum of Eternity is sounded within me but my deaf ears cannot hear it
So long as man clamours for the I and the Mine his works are naught
When all the love of the I and Mine is dead the work of the Lord is done

From the beej, not Sri Guru Granth Sahib Mhaaraj. Forgive me.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I do not fast but do the fasting every 3 months for the myriad of blood tests. This is not by any divine orders but the Doc's. Nothing divine about blood being sucked away through a needle by a person with a smiley grin who I am sure must have been a blood sucker in his/her last life.

Tejwant Singh

Jan 7, 2009
Thank you NamJap Ji

This should give us all alot to think about. We think we are "know it all's when it comes to living a truthful life",but in reality we will never know it all. Such is a rare person that will judge his own actions before anothers.

Josh martin

SPNer
Jul 8, 2009
sacramento, CA
Taking text from Bible:

Matthew 9:14-15 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? [15] And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

Maybe the answer is in there somewhere.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Josh Martin ji

Are you the Josh Martin with the Josh Martin Band and the web site connecting rock to the Gospel?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM