• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is God? Or In Which Type Of God Do You Believe?

Chinu

SPNer
Oct 22, 2011
Re: What is God ? or, In which type of God do you believe?

I believe in a God which is as mysterious as my imagination.
Astro ji... you are not in the mood of exploring your divine mystery... i think.0:)

Nevertheless... i'll love hear a song, if you can sing any.. ?

Nicetomeetyou....."Satshriakal".

Chinu

SPNer
Oct 22, 2011

Figment of human imagination.
Your answer is right on your side... i think.
Moreover... who can stop you to believe like this ? Right ?, Yes! there's no medicine made in the entire world, to change "Believes" of any kind, Atheistic and Theistic too...

Chinu

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles

many thanks for your useful insight into the debate at hand,

You are welcome. It's good to have a fresh perspective.

would that be a figment of your personal imagination, or human imagination per se?

That would be human imagination, since humans were imagining up gods much before I was born.
Thousands of years ago Egyptians 'imagined' up the God of Magic-Isis and God of creation-Amun besides many others. Hindu mythology came up with Vishnu and Shiva. Aztecs came up with their own set of gods.

So yes, I meant figment of 'human' imagination, not my personal imagination. I don't believe in Tooth fairy, Santa Claus or any other imaginary thing anymore.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: What is God ? or in which type of God do You Believe?

Chinu ji I thank you explicitly for your respectfully thought provoking contributions in this thread. You are a very wise old man/woman in your sixties mundahug. Just pulling your leg. If you are much younger you are a very bright person and much brighter than me when I was younger.:sippingcoffeemunda:

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

You are welcome. It's good to have a fresh perspective.

That would be human imagination, since humans were imagining up gods much before I was born.
Thousands of years ago Egyptians 'imagined' up the God of Magic-Isis and God of creation-Amun besides many others. Hindu mythology came up with Vishnu and Shiva. Aztecs came up with their own set of gods.

So yes, I meant figment of 'human' imagination, not my personal imagination. I don't believe in Tooth fairy, Santa Claus or any other imaginary thing anymore.

May I ask then what your contribution to this forum is? do you wish to be proved wrong, or do you wish to prove that you are right?, I would welcome the debate, provided you are able to provide some substance to your argument, also which of your names should I address you by?

Aug 28, 2010

CHINTU Ji,
I never said that I am right.It is your own conclusion and this is nothing but may be your confusion.
But for one thing I am very sure that My GuRu is always right.I learn from my GuRu that the whole world is in confusion.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles

May I ask then what your contribution to this forum is? do you wish to be proved wrong, or do you wish to prove that you are right?, I would welcome the debate, provided you are able to provide some substance to your argument, also which of your names should I address you by?

Harry Ji,

You can call me Skeptic.Freethinker.
I don't 'wish' to be proven wrong but if I say something which is incorrect I hope someone corrects me.

I was merely trying to emphasize that discussing "What is God" is akin to discussing the color and shape of a Giant Teacup lying on the surface of moon. Some might believe it is red and some might believe it is blue. But none of it matters since the teacup doesn't exist.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

skepticfreethinker ji

Thank you but you have made your point. And you have made this same point many times on several of our threads about atheism and the existence of God. No need to repeat yourself.

This thread is sent into a tangent if we talk about whether God exists. This thread assumes that some interest is there by members who do believe there is a God (notice I did not use the word "exist" but the word "is") and might like to express their views on the subject. Everything else is semantics.

Do not continue debating the existence of God on this thread. Thank you/spnadmin

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Harry Ji,

You can call me Skeptic.Freethinker.
I don't 'wish' to be proven wrong but if I say something which is incorrect I hope someone corrects me.

I was merely trying to emphasize that discussing "What is God" is akin to discussing the color and shape of a Giant Teacup lying on the surface of moon. Some might believe it is red and some might believe it is blue. But none of it matters since the teacup doesn't exist.
Skeptic.Freethinker ji thanks for your post. Perhaps we can look at it another way.

Let us not discuss or look for or try to define God/Creator for a moment.

Do you believe there is some system, some law, some set of mechanisms or relationships that allow or are the basis of the Universe with limited knowledge that we will ever possess?

Based on your response I will add and see if we can work things out. However if your answer to each of the aspects in my questions is no, then perhaps I will scratch my head again!

This is not a trap just trying to refine our communication and see if we are contributing to the interactions in this topic.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles

skepticfreethinker ji

Do not continue debating the existence of God on this thread. Thank you/spnadmin

I would consider this an admin warning and try to refrain from debating any such thing in this thread.
I was just about done writing a response to another member's post, but I won't post it now because I don't want to loose my privileges on the forum. These privileges are all I haveicecreammunda

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

skepticfreethinker ji

I realize that and the first posts made sense in context. I am asking that we don't go off topic as we proceed. Thank you

Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles

Do you believe there is some system, some law, some set of mechanisms or relationships that allow or are the basis of the Universe with limited knowledge that we will ever possess?
Ambarsaria Ji,
Yes. Universe is governed by the laws of Physics. We have explanations for most of these laws and for the ones we don't, science is still working on those.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Ambarsaria Ji,
Yes. Universe is governed by the laws of Physics. We have explanations for most of these laws and for the ones we don't, science is still working on those.
skeptic.freethinker1 ji thanks for your answer. Is it just physics or all of Chemistry, Mathematics, and other sciences that we have named and many sciences that may still be without a name?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ArQ:-
Akwl purK ie`k hY, ijs dw nwm 'hoNd vwlw' hY jo isRStI dw rcnhwr hY, jo sB ivc ivAwpk hY, BY qoN rihq hY, vYr-rihq hY, ijs dw srUp kwl qoN pry hY, (Bwv, ijs dw srIr nws-rihq hY), jo jUnW ivc nhIN AwauNdw, ijs dw pRkwS Awpxy Awp qoN hoieAw hY Aqy jo siqgurU dI ikrpw nwl imldw hY[

God/creator is one and is known as the eternal being, the creator of all, present everywhere, without fear, without animosity, is timeless, is not guided by life cycles, is a self creation and is realized through its own (God/creator) blessing.
If we were to take all science has discovered and all hypotheisis unproven or unthought of, and call it a collective "One Eternal Truth". Such being subjectively experienced by humans as described above.

What will be the issue as the above excerpt just initiates description and understanding of Creator in Sikhism while warning that full would never be known?

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If we were to take all science has discovered and all hypotheisis unproven or unthought of, and call it a collective "One Eternal Truth". Such being subjectively experienced by humans as described above.

Ambarsaria Ji,

If you are defining the collective knowledge of all sciences(known and to be discovered) as "One eternal Truth", then I totally agree with you. If you want to call it 'God' then be it. I have to say I don't have any issue with this description. In fact I have never seen anyone put it in such a beautiful and succinct manner. I wish we can have more people like you on the forum.

But I agree with you only as long as your definition of God remains limited to what is quoted above. If you are defining God as anything more or as something that listens or answers our prayers or as a being that created the universe then I have to disagree.

I also take bit of an exception to the part where you say "full would never be known". If all the scientists working hard to improve our lives start believing this, it would be a big setback to all scientific research. I think it might take hundred or maybe thousand years but full would be known ultimately.And I am still talking about the "One Eternal Truth- The collective knowledge of all sciences"

Thanks & Regards.

Chinu

SPNer
Oct 22, 2011

Chinu ji I thank you explicitly for your respectfully thought provoking contributions in this thread. You are a very wise old man/woman in your sixties mundahug. Just pulling your leg. If you are much younger you are a very bright person and much brighter than me when I was younger.:sippingcoffeemunda:

Sat Sri Akal.
:)) Who says that... Now you are old.
Your name is Ambarsaria, Really... do you belong to Amritsar ?

Chinu

SPNer
Oct 22, 2011

CHINTU Ji,
I never said that I am right.
Bagga ji... as your respected GuRu is there -- so how can you be right ?..... right ?
It is your own conclusion and this is nothing but may be your confusion.
May be... How can i disagree with this? -- as i wrote this myself.
But for one thing I am very sure that My GuRu is always right.I learn from my GuRu that the whole world is in confusion.
Prakash.S.Bagga
O..Yes! i just forgot -- he is only your GuRu -- not OUR, and in this way, you are right... Bagga ji, infact everbody in this world is right in this way.

In this way..who is wrong ?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Ambarsaria Ji,

If you are defining the collective knowledge of all sciences(known and to be discovered) as "One eternal Truth", then I totally agree with you. If you want to call it 'God' then be it. I have to say I don't have any issue with this description. In fact I have never seen anyone put it in such a beautiful and succinct manner. I wish we can have more people like you on the forum.

But I agree with you only as long as your definition of God remains limited to what is quoted above. If you are defining God as anything more or as something that listens or answers our prayers or as a being that created the universe then I have to disagree.

I also take bit of an exception to the part where you say "full would never be known". If all the scientists working hard to improve our lives start believing this, it would be a big setback to all scientific research. I think it might take hundred or maybe thousand years but full would be known ultimately.And I am still talking about the "One Eternal Truth- The collective knowledge of all sciences"

Thanks & Regards.
Pardon me Freethinker ji but I think you misread Ambarsari ji's post.
I believe he said One Eternal Truth that is not limited to the realm of science but includes the truths of science - the unsolved mysteries - among other things.

To put it bluntly, Science does not have a grasp of everything, it never will. (It does not attempt to study everything nor does it try to cover all the fields of study.) Limiting your understanding of Truth to just science is not wise. (Even scientists don't do this. They know the progress of science will stop if they limit their conception of truth to just what science is sure about. That's why Einstein said "Imagination if more important than knowledge") Now of course, science is quite useful, especially for developing powerful models of the world. But these models do not explain the world (they certainly attempt to and seem like they do). And certainly do not "explain it away". Our world cannot be "explained away". It is too vast for that. The more you look at something, he more you study something, the more there is look at and study. The more you explain, the more there is to explain. On top of that each explanation must be explained then that explanation must be explained and so on and so forth. You see it? So "explaining it away" is impossible. The vastness is incomprehensible. It can only be tasted so to speak. It can only be tasted through living in it - through our perception, our awareness. Whether that comes from science or whether it comes from art is up to the individual and their circumstances. But one thing is for certain, it arises from lived experience of our world.

When such perception reaches its heights. When the five senses are flooded with PURE perception, without blockage, without mental noise from thoughts and analysis. It is only then we get a taste of the Eternal Truth. We get a taste of this vastness. Only when you taste the vastness of it will you see where I am really getting at when I say: Out of this perception, sciences and all other fields of study emerge. It is out of this field of Truth that we get
listens or answers our prayers or as a being that created the universe
Truth is self-existent. Nothing makes the Truth, true. It is is true of its own accord. Truth and universe manifest simultaneously. Who knows which came first, though it does not matter, as they are the one and the same. This is the same as "being". To be. The universe is.

Now of course, what you think of as "answering" prayers" maybe an entirely different notion than mine or someone else. However, both notions arose from the being. Without being how could such notions arise? If being is real, is reality, then such notions on some level are also reality. (Different levels of reality - too vast for human comprehension)

Thus we have a few words now that essentially hint at the same thing. Pure perception, Being, Truth/Eternal Truth, Universe, Reality. We may say these are hints to the God problem.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Ambarsaria Ji,

Thanks & Regards.

Skeptic.freethinkerji,

I completely agree with your first paragraph, I partially agree with your second paragraph, I certainly do not believe that god listens, but that is my own perspective, I do believe that Creator as I like to refer to the almighty, gave the universe tools to create itself, this is why silkhism sits side by side with science, not against it.

As for the full never being known, discovery is a bit like cutting the heads of a hydra, as soon as we know the full, the full will open the door to more discovery and more questions, it is a never ending journey that can never be completed, one door only opens another 10. In fact, you could say the more we know, the more we are aware of that we do not know.

The universe has been going now for some time, I cannot see what difference at this time point in time, another hundred or thousand years will make to our sum of understanding, in the lifetime of the universe this represents a mere blip.

I have always enjoyed the quality of your posts, well written on the whole and thoughtful, this is good debating if it makes us both think and we can focus on the subject at hand 0:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: