• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Meditation Mean In Sikhism?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Sherdil,

Guru Fateh,

It is not one or the other. Japnah in my opinion that I learnt from Gurbani through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru means what Guru Nanak says in Jap,"Gaviei, Sunhiei Mann Rakhie Bhao, Dukh Bhar Har Sukh Ghar lei Jaih". This the essence of Naam Japnah.

What good is repeating any word for hours does if we do not practice the teachings of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

For some, chanting may be a high which was for me too when I was part of the Dodra group for many years, but it is just a temporary high. People should take this temporary high, if they have not and kick start their Gurmat engine and move towards Gurmat horizons because idle running of the engine will burst from its seams and hence will be wasted for naught.

The reason I left Dodra was the way people hugged each other, especially, the men with the women which for me was very ungurmat and borderline sexual enticement. Many women were seen giving massages to the so called honchos of the group during breaks which was uneasy for me and lastly, when a couple of women came to them with their marital problems, rather than having a conversation, they told them to parrot Vaheguru for hours and things would be fine. These cumulative things broke the camel's back, so to speak.

A few months after I left the group,it so happened that one of the honchos of the Dodra group from Calgary wearing full baana was imprisoned for 5 years for a rape of one of the group members.

Many in here just talk about this transitory high which is like crawling or staying on the position to run a marathon. If we do not come out of that posture to start walking and running, then it is futile, mechanical parroting and a feel good me-ism in my opinion.

Nothing more.

Let's follow Guru Nanak's message to the tee which is worth repeating because our visionary Guru gave us the right recipe, formula, modus operandi and showed us what a true NAAM JAPNAH means.
"Gaviei, Sunhiei Mann Rakhie Bhao, Dukh Bhar Har Sukh Ghar lei Jaih".

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji,

i agree with what you say ji mostly :) those are quite some experiences you speak of...thankfully i haven't fallen into the trap of such groups...

Many in here just talk about this transitory high which is like crawling or staying on the position to run a marathon. If we do not come out of that posture to start walking and running, then it is futile, mechanical parroting and a feel good me-ism in my opinion.
i don;t think anyone has spoken of any such transitory high...these are mere judgements by the ones that don;t agree with what we are doing..
as is all the "If we do not come out of that posture to start walking and running" just mere judgement...

i mean do people really think that if someone meditates they do not crawl out of their cave (house), and participate in society? or do their seva? or aim to be a better person and kick the 5 thieves into touch?

seriously? :)

the Shabads written in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji were spoken by Waheguru and written in Guru ji...speaking them with the same love that God spoke them with is different to mindless parroting...

everyone needs that time to sit in peace and quite from the outside world...whether its meditating or a child that just wants to have that moments silence from the world shouting at it...

those silent moments are when we can reflect with full focus..when we can stop whilst the world is wlaking, and glance back at the voice calling us...the shabad within...

nothing i say would ever change your mind...only thing that changes your mind, is when you arm is taken by guru ji, and you think "Oh ****, this stuff is freaking real" :)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Chaz Singh ji,

Guru fateh.

Thanks for the post and I happen to disagree with you in some of what you wrote because it is contradictory of what you have said earlier and also saying in this very post.

i don;t think anyone has spoken of any such transitory high...these are mere judgements by the ones that don;t agree with what we are doing..
as is all the "If we do not come out of that posture to start walking and running" just mere judgement..

First, it is not a judgement which is a wrong word to use but an observation from the posts, especially yours. This is the reason I urged everyone recently not to make blanket statements about what one feels about meditation about everyone else but rather make it a point that it is one's personal experience only.

i mean do people really think that if someone meditates they do not crawl out of their cave (house), and participate in society? or do their seva? or aim to be a better person and kick the 5 thieves into touch?

seriously? :)

Yes, because that is the way it is projected in their posts, especially yours. I am glad you are changing your stance now.

the Shabads written in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji were spoken by Waheguru and written in Guru ji...speaking them with the same love that God spoke them with is different to mindless parroting...

You know the difference very well between speaking and parroting/chanting. Let's stick to the point please.

everyone needs that time to sit in peace and quite from the outside world...whether its meditating or a child that just wants to have that moments silence from the world shouting at it...

I agree, but one should choose one's own way to germinate that feeling. Hence, it is a personal experience, which can never be duplicated by anyone else.

those silent moments are when we can reflect with full focus..when we can stop whilst the world is wlaking, and glance back at the voice calling us...the shabad within...

Once again, you are making a blanket statement as you have often done in the past. Please state this as you personal experience only. Not everyone may feel like you do which is exactly my point and of this very interaction of ours and also when this thread started.

nothing i say would ever change your mind...only thing that changes your mind, is when you arm is taken by guru ji, and you think "Oh ****, this stuff is freaking real" :)

Now, it is you who is judging by giving a blanket statement once again. :) You do not know that and shall never know.

We are all here to interact and share our personal experiences We are not here to urge others to change their minds because we have posted something in this great forum. That is not our job.

Let each of us dance with our own inner music that we hear from the within.

Let's allow this courtesy to everyone. By doing that, we are able to reach our own bliss in a personal manner.

Thanks for the great post.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
English Translation:

Ghawiyeh soenhiyeh man rakhiyeh phao.
Sing the praise of the Lord (recite His Name), listen to it, and let your mind be filled with His love.
Dukh par har sukh ghar lèh djaé.
(This way), we are relieved of pain and sorrow, and peace settles down in the mind.

Tejwant ji I do agree that there is no use in parroting Lord name without having him even in mind. It's just how the person chants the name of the lord. Also I believe there are multiple ways of chanting lord name. The praises of lord come out of the heart it's up to the person how he/she want to express them.

kggr011 ji,

Exactly my point. It is a personal experience of the individual which may not be for all and this is the respect and courtesy needed towards all here.

Secondly, you have posted the literal translation of the verse I posted. Please interpret it in your own words so we can all learn from it.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
What good is repeating any word for hours does if we do not practice the teachings of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

Tejwant ji,

I agree that reading and understanding gurbani is the top priority for all Sikhs. We cannot call ourselves students if we don't study what our teacher says.

I don't believe in repeating a word for hours. Such time can be better spent trying to understand gurbani. A single tuk can occupy one's attention for hours at end.

But gurbani is a love poem. The way the gurus speak about God, it is evident that they are in love with him. I think they are also trying to get us to fall in love. When someone is in love, simply repeating the name of their lover can bring peace and contentment. When someone is in love, they think about their lover at all times. They feel pain when they are separated from their lover.

In my opinion, what separates "meditation" in Sikhi from other forms of meditation (Zen Buddhism) is that Sikhi teaches us to foster love, whereas other forms of meditation teach people to kill emotion and become blank slates. Love, according to them, creates attachment. In Sikhi, we fall in love with Akaal (the timeless one). Being attached to something that is timeless is the only thing that is worth being attached to, as all other illusions of Maya are transient.

Some people carry a picture of their lover in their wallet, or as a screen saver on their phone. Others may have a picture of their God. The point is that when they see that image, they are emotionally uplifted. It gets them through the day. Sikhi teaches that God has no form, so instead of a picture, we simply say the name. When I am feeling stressed, taking a deep breath and saying "Waheguru" makes me feel better. It's nothing more than that. I don't have to repeat anything in a closed room, hours on end.

Bhul chuk maaf

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Tejwant ji,

I agree that reading and understanding gurbani is the top priority for all Sikhs. We cannot call ourselves students if we don't study what our teacher says.

I don't believe in repeating a word for hours. Such time can be better spent trying to understand gurbani. A single tuk can occupy one's attention for hours at end.

But gurbani is a love poem. The way the gurus speak about God, it is evident that they are in love with him. I think they are also trying to get us to fall in love. When someone is in love, simply repeating the name of their lover can bring peace and contentment. When someone is in love, they think about their lover at all times. They feel pain when they are separated from their lover.

In my opinion, what separates "meditation" in Sikhi from other forms of meditation (Zen Buddhism) is that Sikhi teaches us to foster love, whereas other forms of meditation teach people to kill emotion and become blank slates. Love, according to them, creates attachment. In Sikhi, we fall in love with Akaal (the timeless one). Being attached to something that is timeless is the only thing that is worth being attached to, as all other illusions of Maya are transient.

Some people carry a picture of their lover in their wallet, or as a screen saver on their phone. Others may have a picture of their God. The point is that when they see that image, they are emotionally uplifted. It gets them through the day. Sikhi teaches that God has no form, so instead of a picture, we simply say the name. When I am feeling stressed, taking a deep breath and saying "Waheguru" makes me feel better. It's nothing more than that. I don't have to repeat anything in a closed room, hours on end.

Bhul chuk maaf

Wonderful post ji, what meditation in my personal expierience does is kill all the wordly attachments and I dont see Akaal as a worldy attachment. What meditation does for me is make me even feel closer to Akaal.

But I feel that not only by meditating, I also feel it when I do Sewa or read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or think about the transcendence of the lord. It's a moment where I do fall in love with god.

Meditation learns me to be focussed all the time, so my mind doesn't wander.
Sewa helps me to get self discipline.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji shows me a path I've to follow, it gives me gyaan and it motivates me on my journey.
Thinking about the Greatness of the lord, makes me feel connected and in love with the lord.

If one can't focuss on something without his mind wandering then thats not good.
What Meditation does for me is free me from wordly attachments it bring me in a state where I feel very Aware of myself. It's a state where I'm free from all attachments and for me its the best state to feel connected to the lord, since my mind doesn't wander in that state.

Sewa helps me to build self displine, it helps me to control my greed, attachments, anger and mostly ego. It also helps me to feel connected with the lord. To control my lust I kinda fool myself by trying to see all woman as my sisters and mothers. However that doesn't work always for me, controlling lust is very hard I don't have a good method for that right now.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is for me a place to get gyaan, it's so great that sometimes a few lines can make me think for hours, When I read about the love of Guru's and Bhagats towards the lord that is for me very very very motivating it helps me to not stray from my path.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

It is only evident that they are in love with 'him' from the Abrahamic english translations that we all have to suffer, in truth, I think that if god is everywhere and in everything, it is more about loving the creation of god rather than god. How can one love an energy, a force, a creative power? How can you carry a photo of a creative power, how can you name a creative power? There is no separation as god is in everything and everyone, even the most base and evil person is not separated, I think when we stop listening to god inside that is when we feel separated, but we are not, just not listening, not connecting, not walking in tune, not in consonance.

what is the point of loving god, of chanting 'his' name, if you ignore the creation of god, can meditation be an hour watching an ant nest? Can one sit down and watch animals, trees, the weather, reveal themselves in all their glory, in all their fascination, can one not love these aspects of creation and just listen to god?

In effect what you are saying is that where other forms of meditation encourage you to leave the world, and thus creation, Sikh meditation would encourage you to interact with the world, with creation, so some might say that certain meditation is nothing more than escapism, rather than embracing creation.

Sikhism is a pragmatic religion, the litmus test is crucial to an individuals interpretation of Sikhism, in my view, the bliss has nothing to do with remembering god, it is the after effect of living a truthful life, one does not get bliss just by thinking about god, (well I do not anyway, if others do, well that is anothers personal experience), one gets bliss by living truthfully, and reaping the benefits associated with such. One lives truthfully by listening to god, and acting as per gods facets as outlined in the Mool Mantra.

my view only

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji,

Sherdil ji,

The whole SGGS is not a love poem but a love song. The stark difference between the two is that the former is recited whereas the latter is sung, hence the whole SGGS is written in Raags. Singing makes us dance from the within and we dance with the wow! and awe! factors of Ik Ong Kaar because The Source is the manifestation in all of them. And here are the three parts that make us play hide and seek with the Creator's Creation:

1. Naam Japnah- Not parroting but our actions in the fruitful manners learnt through our inner dance with the help of singing.

2. Kirat Karni- The part which starts with the first droplet of milk from the mother's bosom, to the kindergarten, professional life and last but not the least, active participation in the householder's life by cultivating a good relationship with the spouse and raising the kids to be better than us as Sikhs.

3.Vand Kei Chaknah- After the first two steps, the only thing left is sharing goodness attained, with others;one's children, ilk and especially with the strangers.

We are attached to the timeless through its creation of tangible things of life like family and pitching in the society which is also His creation.

Carrying a picture of a lover is a great thing but as Sikhs we are surrounded by IK Ong Kaar's picture. The world and beyond become our pocket folders for this picture album of the wonders!

I beg to differ with you about saying the name because the name becomes valueless. It is rather living every moment keep on realising in mind,"Dukh Daroo, Sukh Rogh Baheyah" is living truthfully with him by holding his hand and relishing the odds of life because we are taught how to overcome them.

Sikhi is like a cross-country/steeple chase and its beauty lies in tumbling down, getting up, dusting off and carry on, The scars of life that we are left with after the scabs fall off show us how this Sikhi journey has been relished because this special love is a two way street. Just keeping the picture of the lover in one's wallet makes us end up in cul de sac of life if we have not given any reason to our lover to take a peek of our picture tucked in his/her wallet.

Tejwant Singh

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
It's that one first have to realize lord first, you've to see him in each and everyone, when one sees a former murderer, rapist, pedo, etc. see that person in your eyes as someone strayed from the path, try to help that person to find the path, cause the lord also resides in his heart usually people start hating such person when they know who he/she is and what he/she did. The lord is already with us, unfortunately not everyone does realize that god is already with us, they try alot of things to find god. God is already with us. They are looking outside while god is inside us.

Like Akasha ji said, we are the algorithms, the creation is the software, the lord is the programmer. However we should keep in mind that the programmer is real and everything else one day will end. I'm not trying to say that we should see the creation as something completly unreal, we as algorithms have to play our part in the software(creation). But one has to realize this concept that he/she is part of the software. Thinking that way is called being super conscious. Because you see yourself as the second/third person. Instead of being controlled by the 5 thieves like a Marionette you have the strings in your own hand.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Yes, because that is the way it is projected in their posts, especially yours. I am glad you are changing your stance now.

Respected Tejwant ji...

changing my stance? lol so because i talk passionately about meditation on a topic about meditation on a forum...that means more than likely i do not have a wakeful life? no hobbies, no friends, no interest in Seva, helping the community, no life... is this your reasoning my good friend :)

i'm glad i've somehow changed your mind on that evaluation ji...pheww :)

coming to such conclusions is also 'a blanket statement' as you so great fully point out so often ji.

maybe we can agree that we are as bad as each other... :) i know i personally do fall into that trap...my bad

I still have a very strong Ego, susceptible to Lust, Anger, desire and greed...
i thank you for pointing my negative facets out for me...it's the greatest blessing to know where one must improve their personality...

God Bless ji

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Kggr001 ji,

Do you have a T.V in your meditation Cave?i think i might get someone to install one for me...will allow us to see whats going on in the outside world from time to time...

ok, must now close my eyes...this daylight is starting to burn me...yikes

:)

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Kggr001 ji,

Do you have a T.V in your meditation Cave?i think i might get someone to install one for me...will allow us to see whats going on in the outside world from time to time...

ok, must now close my eyes...this daylight is starting to burn me...yikes

:)

I do have a T.V, and I do watch it alot. And also pretty much know whats going on in the outside world :)

I won't post on this forums for while, I've to admit I do learn alot, however posting on these forums is also boosting my ego, it's like I stop listening to the other, it's all about me me me, I always feel like that I'm right, right now I'm not strong enough to face it directly. I might return if I ever manage to control this.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I won't post on this forums for while, I've to admit I do learn alot, however these forums are also boosting my ego, right now I'm not strong enough to face it directly.

I have read this several times and cannot make head or tail of what you are trying to say, I hope you carry on posting, we are all here to learn from each other

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji, we are all constantly changing, I have changed, you have changed, surely change, good change, is all part of Sikhism, and living and learning.

I have also noted that your posts are starting to be about more than meditation, just as mine are more about accepting such, of course we are all changing, what would be the point otherwise.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji, we are all constantly changing, I have changed, you have changed, surely change, good change, is all part of Sikhism, and living and learning.

I have also noted that your posts are starting to be about more than meditation, just as mine are more about accepting such, of course we are all changing, what would be the point otherwise.

of course ji :)

change is always a good thing my friend

apologies if sometimes i do go on too strongly about Simran or Meditation (even though this thread is about meditation)...when you get wonder struck, sometimes you just have to yell out :) (if that makes any sense)...

i also can't convince anyone of how amazing Simran or meditation is...just like i cannot convince my wife into appreciating and liking the game of football in the same way i do...believe me i tried.

also, the reason i talk sometimes about Simran and Meditation on other topics also is because i believe that through them we can get all the answers for ourselves about every conceivable topic or question we have...but again i cannot prove or make someone believe in this :)

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Harry Haller said:
It is only evident that they are in love with 'him' from the Abrahamic english translations that we all have to suffer, in truth, I think that if god is everywhere and in everything, it is more about loving the creation of god rather than god. How can one love an energy, a force, a creative power? How can you carry a photo of a creative power, how can you name a creative power? There is no separation as god is in everything and everyone, even the most base and evil person is not separated, I think when we stop listening to god inside that is when we feel separated, but we are not, just not listening, not connecting, not walking in tune, not in consonance.

what is the point of loving god, of chanting 'his' name, if you ignore the creation of god, can meditation be an hour watching an ant nest? Can one sit down and watch animals, trees, the weather, reveal themselves in all their glory, in all their fascination, can one not love these aspects of creation and just listen to god?

Tejwant Singh said:
Carrying a picture of a lover is a great thing but as Sikhs we are surrounded by IK Ong Kaar's picture. The world and beyond become our pocket folders for this picture album of the wonders!

I beg to differ with you about saying the name because the name becomes valueless. It is rather living every moment keep on realising in mind,"Dukh Daroo, Sukh Rogh Baheyah" is living truthfully with him by holding his hand and relishing the odds of life because we are taught how to overcome them.

My respectful bros, I am still with you. I agree with everything you have said. I have not changed my position, I have just added to it. I have not dismantled the puzzle, I have just introduced a new piece. The new piece appeared in the shabadh produced by Chaz ji. I will post it here:

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
बिलावलु महला ५ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 5.
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:

ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਅਰਪਉ ਸਭੁ ਅਪਨਾ ॥
तनु मनु धनु अरपउ सभु अपना ॥
Ŧan man ḏẖan arpa▫o sabẖ apnā.
Body, mind, wealth and everything, I surrender to my Lord.

ਕਵਨ ਸੁ ਮਤਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਨਾ ॥੧॥
कवन सु मति जितु हरि हरि जपना ॥१॥
Kavan so maṯ jiṯ har har japnā. ||1||
What is that wisdom, by which I may come to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har?||1||

ਕਰਿ ਆਸਾ ਆਇਓ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਾਗਨਿ ॥
करि आसा आइओ प्रभ मागनि ॥
Kar āsā ā▫i▫o parabẖ māgan.
Nurturing hope, I have come to beg from God.

ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੇਖਤ ਸੋਭਾ ਮੇਰੈ ਆਗਨਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
तुम्ह पेखत सोभा मेरै आगनि ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ŧumĥ pekẖaṯ sobẖā merai āgan. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Gazing upon You, the courtyard of my heart is embellished. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਿਕ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਉ ॥
अनिक जुगति करि बहुतु बीचारउ ॥
Anik jugaṯ kar bahuṯ bīcẖāra▫o.
Trying several methods, I reflect deeply upon the Lord.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਇਸੁ ਮਨਹਿ ਉਧਾਰਉ ॥੨॥
साधसंगि इसु मनहि उधारउ ॥२॥
Sāḏẖsang is manėh uḏẖāra▫o. ||2||
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, this mind is saved. ||2||

ਮਤਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ॥
मति बुधि सुरति नाही चतुराई ॥
Maṯ buḏẖ suraṯ nāhī cẖaṯurā▫ī.
I have neither intelligence, wisdom, common sense nor cleverness.

ਤਾ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਜਾ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਈ ॥੩॥
ता मिलीऐ जा लए मिलाई ॥३॥
Ŧā milī▫ai jā la▫e milā▫ī. ||3||
I meet You, only if You lead me to meet You. ||3||

ਨੈਨ ਸੰਤੋਖੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
नैन संतोखे प्रभ दरसनु पाइआ ॥
Nain sanṯokẖe parabẖ ḏarsan pā▫i▫ā.
My eyes are content, gazing upon the Blessed Vision of God's Darshan.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਫਲੁ ਸੋ ਆਇਆ ॥੪॥੪॥੯॥
कहु नानक सफलु सो आइआ ॥४॥४॥९॥
Kaho Nānak safal so ā▫i▫ā. ||4||4||9||
Says Nanak, such a life is fruitful and rewarding. ||4||4||9||

It appears on page 804 of GGS

What I attained from this is that it doesn't require gyaan to chant the name "Har Har". For someone who doesn't have an in-depth understanding of gurbani, or cannot see the divine in one and all, saying the name of The One is an outlet to express their love. Har Har, Ram, Allah, Waheguru are what we call The One, but in actuality The One has no name. It is the Truth, which has always been true and always be true. We can experience this truth through contemplation of gurbani and truthful action.

page 1242 of GGS
ਮਃ ੧ ॥
मः १ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਜਾਂ ਹਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਤਾਂ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਤੂ ਹੋਵਹਿ ॥
जां हउ तेरा तां सभु किछु मेरा हउ नाही तू होवहि ॥
Jāʼn ha▫o ṯerā ṯāʼn sabẖ kicẖẖ merā ha▫o nāhī ṯū hovėh.
When I am Yours, then everything is mine. When I am not, You are.

ਆਪੇ ਸਕਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਸੁਰਤਾ ਸਕਤੀ ਜਗਤੁ ਪਰੋਵਹਿ ॥
आपे सकता आपे सुरता सकती जगतु परोवहि ॥
Āpe sakṯā āpe surṯā sakṯī jagaṯ parovėh.
You Yourself are All-powerful, and You Yourself are the Intuitive Knower. The whole world is strung on the Power of Your Shakti.

ਆਪੇ ਭੇਜੇ ਆਪੇ ਸਦੇ ਰਚਨਾ ਰਚਿ ਰਚਿ ਵੇਖੈ ॥
आपे भेजे आपे सदे रचना रचि रचि वेखै ॥
Āpe bẖeje āpe saḏe racẖnā racẖ racẖ vekẖai.
You Yourself send out the mortal beings, and You Yourself call them back home. Having created the creation, You behold it.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚਾ ਸਚੀ ਨਾਂਈ ਸਚੁ ਪਵੈ ਧੁਰਿ ਲੇਖੈ ॥੨॥
नानक सचा सची नांई सचु पवै धुरि लेखै ॥२॥
Nānak sacẖā sacẖī nāʼn▫ī sacẖ pavai ḏẖur lekẖai. ||2||
O Nanak, True is the Name of the True Lord; through Truth, one is accepted by the Primal Lord God. ||2||

page 1243 GGS
ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੨ ॥
सलोक मः २ ॥
Salok mėhlā 2.
Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਕਥਾ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਬੇਦੀ ਆਣੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
कथा कहाणी बेदीं आणी पापु पुंनु बीचारु ॥
Kathā kahāṇī beḏīʼn āṇī pāp punn bīcẖār.
The Vedas bring forth stories and legends, and thoughts of vice and virtue.

ਦੇ ਦੇ ਲੈਣਾ ਲੈ ਲੈ ਦੇਣਾ ਨਰਕਿ ਸੁਰਗਿ ਅਵਤਾਰ ॥
दे दे लैणा लै लै देणा नरकि सुरगि अवतार ॥
Ḏe ḏe laiṇā lai lai ḏeṇā narak surag avṯār.
What is given, they receive, and what is received, they give. They are reincarnated in heaven and hell.

ਉਤਮ ਮਧਿਮ ਜਾਤੀਂ ਜਿਨਸੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭਵੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥
उतम मधिम जातीं जिनसी भरमि भवै संसारु ॥
Uṯam maḏẖim jāṯīʼn jinsī bẖaram bẖavai sansār.
High and low, social class and status - the world wanders lost in superstition.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਤਤੁ ਵਖਾਣੀ ਗਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਈ ॥
अम्रित बाणी ततु वखाणी गिआन धिआन विचि आई ॥
Amriṯ baṇī ṯaṯ vakẖāṇī gi▫ān ḏẖi▫ān vicẖ ā▫ī.
The Ambrosial Word of Gurbani proclaims the essence of reality. Spiritual wisdom and meditation are contained within it.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਖੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਤੀ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਕਰਮਿ ਧਿਆਈ ॥
गुरमुखि आखी गुरमुखि जाती सुरतीं करमि धिआई ॥
Gurmukẖ ākẖī gurmukẖ jāṯī surṯīʼn karam ḏẖi▫ā▫ī.
The Gurmukhs chant it, and the Gurmukhs realize it. Intuitively aware, they meditate on it.

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਸਾਜਿ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਖੈ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ॥
हुकमु साजि हुकमै विचि रखै हुकमै अंदरि वेखै ॥
Hukam sāj hukmai vicẖ rakẖai hukmai anḏar vekẖai.
By the Hukam of His Command, He formed the Universe, and in His Hukam, He keeps it. By His Hukam, He keeps it under His Gaze.

ਨਾਨਕ ਅਗਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਤਾਂ ਕੋ ਲਿਖੀਐ ਲੇਖੈ ॥੧॥
नानक अगहु हउमै तुटै तां को लिखीऐ लेखै ॥१॥
Nānak agahu ha▫umai ṯutai ṯāʼn ko likī▫ai lekẖai. ||1||
O Nanak, if the mortal shatters his ego before he departs, as it is pre-ordained, then he is approved. ||1||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
My Take on Simran...cum meditation...as per Gurmatt

Attachments

• simran.jpg
    simran.jpg
    45 KB · Reads: 349

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
I can't believe one small comment can be so misunderstood..

Let's try it again..

I learned about Zen Buddhism for a few years before finding Sikhi; and I seem to still take their approach to 'meditation'.

I take their approach; what I mean is that I look at meditation that way because it is my understanding of it.

This involves being in a state of meditation (zazen) while sitting, walking, washing the dishes, whatever it may be; which is of course in line with the teachings of Sikhi to be with Waheguru at all times, always praising his name.

Does Gurbani not say to remember the naam at all times? While walking, sitting, washing the dishes? What's the difference? It's a simple comparison; no need to get all frantic and panic about the future of Sikhi due to heretics.

To sit down at a certain time on certain days and meditate on the naam is good, but I don't see it as enough.

I still agree with what I said here.. The gurmukh should never forget the guru.

I think I should be clear in saying that I do not think the experience of satori (being in zazen 24/7) - the goal of Zen Buddhism - is the same as being immersed in the naam...

It is simply obvious that we should seek to - like Zen Buddhists - meditate (on the naam) at all times. I happened to be Buddhist before finding Sikhi, and I think that since it is an atheistic religion it can be treated as more of a life practice - and therefore be helpful/applicable to other places in life. Yes, Guru Nanak warns of all these useless practices... but considering them in order to improve your pragmatic, every day practices that allow you to be immersed in the nectar of the naam.... well, I see no harm.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: