• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Meditation Mean In Sikhism?

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Please post the proof of your claim from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and also prove that their meaning of "meditation" is the same as your personal one.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

I was talking about what guru's and the saints felt. I'm not saying that the way I meditate is the way they did.

All I'm saying is that the felt the same experience. There love for the lord is great, they were willing to give up literally everything to find the lord.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I was talking about what guru's and the saints felt. I'm not saying that the way I meditate is the way they did.

All I'm saying is that the felt the same experience. There love for the lord is great, they were willing to give up literally everything to find the lord.

Once again , your statements are not valid if you do not have the proof because, once again, the word Meditation is used for multiple words by the ones who translated SGGS, our only Guru into English.

Secondly, you are making the same mistake with the word SAINT as Abneet did. There is no such thing in Sikhi

How do you know anyone else's personal experience except your own?

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Once again , your statements are not valid if you do not have the proof because, once again, the word Meditation is used for multiple words by the ones who translated Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru into English.

Secondly, you are making the same mistake with the word SAINT as Abneet did. There is no such thing in Sikhi

How do you know anyone else's personal experience except your own?

I wonder where did you learn Gurmukhi and get your depth in Gurbani from? Who taught you?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I wonder where did you learn Gurmukhi and get your depth in Gurbani from? Who taught you?

Is WONDER part of the question?

I learnt Gurmukhi at home and the guidance of Gurbani was through my parents and grandparents till I left India at the age of 15. The rest is all self taught by studying one page of sggs per week, via many many books, Teekas and interaction on the great site like SPN.

No Sant, Baba or any other charlatan was involved. :)

How about you? And you did not tell me that the Sant Babas you learn the Sikhi from according to your own claim, are they married with families as Guru Nanak urged us to do or are they single and claim to abstain from sex?

Tejwant Singh

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Is WONDER part of the question?

I learnt Gurmukhi at home and the guidance of Gurbani was through my parents and grandparents till I left India at the age of 15. The rest is all self taught by studying one page of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji per week, via many many books, Teekas and interaction on the great site like SPN.

No Sant, Baba or any other charlatan was involved. :)

How about you? And you did not tell me that the Sant Babas you learn the Sikhi from according to your own claim, are they married with families as Guru Nanak urged us to do or are they single and claim to abstain from sex?

Tejwant Singh

Nope, haven't ever learned from a Sant but learned from my Dad who was taught by my grandpa who was taught in school during the 80's in Amritsar. Don't know which Sikh school my grandpa went too but he had nothing and the blind head ragi of Harmandar Sahib who died during the 1984 attacks took care of him and got him educated. So there was really no connection to any Sant or Baba. I read books too by often famous Sikh scholars and online I look here and there but keep careful tabs on what I'm reading.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
maybe we should change the word 'meditation' to 'seek within' for Waheguru Ji...

that way everyone can 'seek within' in any manner they wish to...

the surgeon can create an incision and inspect his body..."where is this God that is within :) "
the brain surgeon can spend his life scanning his brain to figure out the secrets that are yet untold
the yoga practitioner can jap the millions of mantra's out there and sit in a million postures...
Me personally i contemplate and envelope myself in Gurbani in the early hours...i close out the 9 doors and 'seek within' with the aid of this precious bani..
Others like Lucky Ji, and kggr ji also 'seek within'...and they may do it in a different way...

Whats important is waheguru ji's grace...the one who yearns for 'knowing the truth' gets pulled within with the sweet sound of his shabad

it's just great that there are so many yearning for this...that is something to be happy about..

God Bless

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
I just came across this line: "The naam remains, The holy saint remain, The Guru and the god remain."

The vid explains it as this "The name of god lives forever and so does devotees of god who attain salvation and mingle with god."

And I also came across this line: "God resides in each and every soul; the saints proclaim this as true"

I think the word Saint is used for devotees of the Lord.

I suggest everyone to check out this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaH4YymFbsY
It has very great explanation in English.

------------------------------------------------------------

And also how I know the love of the Guru's and Bhagats towards lord is by what they wrote it's really touching when I read it.

Bhagat Sheikh Farid ji: They alone are true, whose love for God is deep and heart-felt.
Those who have one thing in their heart, and something else in their mouth, are judged to be false. ((1))
Those who are imbued with love for the Lord, are delighted by His Vision.
Those who forget the Naam, the Name of the Lord, are a burden on the earth. ((1)(Pause))
Those whom the Lord attaches to the hem of His robe, are the true dervishes at His Door.
Blessed are the mothers who gave birth to them, and fruitful is their coming into the world. ((2))
O Lord, Sustainer and Cherisher, You are infinite, unfathomable and endless.
Those who recognize the True Lord - I kiss their feet. ((3))
I seek Your Protection - You are the Forgiving Lord.
Please, bless Shaykh Fareed with the bounty of Your meditative worship. ((4)(1))

Bhagat Sheikh Farid ji: "O Raven, you have searched my skeleton, and eaten all my flesh. But please do not touch these eyes as I hope to behold my Beloved"

9th Guru: "If I could find wings for sale I would buy them with equal weight of my body"
"I would attach them to my body and seek out and find my friend"

Bhagat Ravidas ji:
"Lord, if you are sandalwood, I am water;
with the fragrance in all parts of my body.
Lord, if you are a cloud, I am a pea{censored};
looking for you like a chakora for the moon.
Lord, if you are a lamp, I am the wick (bAti);
with the light burning day and night.
Lord, if you are a pearl, I am the thread;
together like gold and suhaga.
Lord, you are the master and I servant;"

The Guru's and Bhagats were willing to give everything away to find the Lord. By reading all this we clearly can see that they lived in the Lord the were one with the Lord.

And then there is the blind me who doesn't even try to find God. I feel so bad.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I just came across this line: "The naam remains, The holy saint remain, The Guru and the god remain."

The vid explains it as this "The name of god lives forever and so does devotees of god who attain salvation and mingle with god."

And I also came across this line: "God resides in each and every soul; the saints proclaim this as true"

I think the word Saint is used for devotees of the lord.

I suggest everyone to check out this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaH4YymFbsY

It has very great explanation in English.

Yes ji, and the greatest thing is...we ALL have the means and opportunity to mingle with God :)

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Yes ji, and the greatest thing is...we ALL have the means and opportunity to mingle with God :)

Yes, and I must do it in this life, in the next lifes I don't even know if I ever will think about the lord, I've no control over the next life however I've in this life.

Bhagat Kabir ji: "The mother thinks that her son is growing up; she does not understand that, day by day, his life is diminishing. Calling him, "Mine, mine", she fondles him lovingly, while the Messenger of Death looks on and laughs. ""

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I'm afraid that if I don't find the lord this life, I've wasted my life.

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
I learned about Zen Buddhism for a few years before finding Sikhi; and I seem to still take their approach to 'meditation'.
This involves being in a state of meditation (zazen) while sitting, walking, washing the dishes, whatever it may be; which is of course in line with the teachings of Sikhi to be with Waheguru at all times, always praising his name.

To sit down at a certain time on certain days and meditate on the naam is good, but I don't see it as enough.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Yes, and I must do it in this life, in the next lifes I don't even know if I ever will think about the lord, I've no control over the next life however I've in this life.

Bhagat Kabir ji: "The mother thinks that her son is growing up; she does not understand that, day by day, his life is diminishing. Calling him, "Mine, mine", she fondles him lovingly, while the Messenger of Death looks on and laughs. ""

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I'm afraid that if I don't find the lord this life, I've wasted my life.

Remembering Him in meditation, the fear of Death departs

i believe the above quotation to be 100% an actual occurance :)

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

By literal interpretation we have buried the divine essence of the panktee. This is how we waste and dump the gurbani. Let us understand what is divine message behind above pankti.

While reflecting upon the rahao, I realized topic of the sabd is not passing general information but impact of vices on our body. Over here the message is that 'ਜਨਨੀ' the source of evil conspiracies, feels pride that she is feeding and upbringing a child (manh to act as per her commands) growing him big, but does not realizes the impact of every evil action (anger etc) day by day on our body thus advising us to cut that source and fill it with godly acts.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
What does it take to know the truth? The truth is written in gurbani. Once we understand gurbani, we come to know the truth isn't it? I don't see why this truth has to vibrate within every cell of the body, like some have described (on other threads). If I study acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, I come to learn the truth about these drugs. I don't have to meditate upon it.

When I do something kind for someone, from the bottom of my heart, I find that I am not afflicted by any of the 5 thieves in that moment. If such kind gestures are repeated, they become a part of your character. You are not driven by lust, anger, greed, attachment, or ego. You are simply driven by a desire to do seva and ease the suffering of others. If everyone treated each other with kindness and respect, we could bring about Satyug.

These two aspects make up "gyaan" and "dhiaan" (wisdom and attention). Gyaan comes from gurbani and dhiaan is toward the service of creation.

I feel that Guru ji placed truthful action above all else. This is why Guru ji criticized the Nath Yogis. Even though they spent their time in meditation, they did nothing to uplift humanity. Accordingly, gurbani makes reference to Chitr and Gupt, and Dharam Raj. Chitr and Gupt are the deities that keep track of the actions of mortals. Dharam Raj is the judge that decides the mortal's fate (figurative references). Gurbani also mentions that actions done repetitively are engraved on the soul.

The slogan of the Khalsa under Banda Singh Bahadur's leadership was "Degh Tegh Fateh" (victory of the kettle and the sword). This is also why we wear the kirpan. There are so many things in our philosophy that demonstrate we are a faith based around righteous action above all else.

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
What does it take to know the truth? The truth is written in gurbani. Once we understand gurbani, we come to know the truth isn't it? I don't see why this truth has to vibrate within every cell of the body, like some have described (on other threads). If I study acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, I come to learn the truth about these drugs. I don't have to meditate upon it.

When I do something kind for someone, from the bottom of my heart, I find that I am not afflicted by any of the 5 thieves in that moment. If such kind gestures are repeated, they become a part of your character. You are not driven by lust, anger, greed, attachment, or ego. You are simply driven by a desire to do seva and ease the suffering of others. If everyone treated each other with kindness and respect, we could bring about Satyug.

These two aspects make up "gyaan" and "dhiaan" (wisdom and attention). Gyaan comes from gurbani and dhiaan is toward the service of creation.

I feel that Guru ji placed truthful action above all else. This is why Guru ji criticized the Nath Yogis. Even though they spent their time in meditation, they did nothing to uplift humanity. Accordingly, gurbani makes reference to Chitr and Gupt, and Dharam Raj. Chitr and Gupt are the deities that keep track of the actions of mortals. Dharam Raj is the judge that decides the mortal's fate (figurative references). Gurbani also mentions that actions done repetitively are engraved on the soul.

The slogan of the Khalsa under Banda Singh Bahadur's leadership was "Degh Tegh Fateh" (victory of the kettle and the sword). This is also why we wear the kirpan. There are so many things in our philosophy that demonstrate we are a faith based around righteous action above all else.

If everyone treated with respect and kindness to all that wouldn't be enough to bring Satyug. You can be kind and be corrupt still.....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM