• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Was Guru Nanak God?

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
you are right everything is god
but not everyone
love the humanity was the first message of guru nanak
remember it first
Respected GURVINDER Ji,

everything is not separate from everyone. All is God.

Satgur Parsaaad

sB ikCu Awpy Awip hY haumY ivic khnu n jwie ]
God Himself is everything(this refers to all; the universe); those who are in their ego cannot even speak of this.

gur kY sbid pCwxIAY duKu haumY ivchu gvwie ]
Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, He is realized, and the pain of egotism is eradicated from within.

also

bRhm mih jnu jn mih pwrbRhmu ]
The servant is in God, and God is in the servant.

Ego has to go, even to love the humanity unconditionaly.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
hmmm... i believe God himself is like the highest Guru, and that GuruNanak and the other Gurus were the most amazing ppl ever but not God, and i also believe that God revealed himself through the Gurus, the Gurus were at the highest purest level a person can attain so God was able to reveal his teachings through them... as i am new to Sikhism please correct me if i am wrong, i only wanna learn and become stronger...

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
hmmm... i believe God himself is like the highest Guru, and that GuruNanak and the other Gurus were the most amazing ppl ever but not God, and i also believe that God revealed himself through the Gurus, the Gurus were at the highest purest level a person can attain so God was able to reveal his teachings through them... as i am new to Sikhism please correct me if i am wrong, i only wanna learn and become stronger...

Respected Satyadhi Ji,

it all depends upon where we are in our understanding of what God is.
Guru teaches us the way to reach to that point of understanding. Now if we believe 100% in our Guru/Teacher, and follow the preaching, we can experience all that is being taught to us by the Guru.

Satgur Parsaad

syvk isK pUjx siB Awvih siB gwvih hir hir aUqm bwnI ]

All the Sikhs and servants come to worship and adore You; they sing the sublime Bani of the Lord, Har, Har.

gwivAw suixAw iqn kw hir Qwie pwvY ijn siqgur kI AwigAw siq siq kir mwnI ]

Only their singing and listening is approved by the Lord who accept the Order of the True Guru as True, totally True.

Now this understanding that if a Guru is God, this truth is not perceivable until one actually sees God in all. And to reach that level one has to be devoid of ego completely. Until their is Ego-there is duality.....no doubt.

Nov 29, 2006
GuruFateh Sarabjeet ji,

Yes, very true, Bani is great, and all the world is around Bani only,
Without Bani world cant exist.. Bani is within us.. The breathe that is going .. is because of Bani within us,

Bani is vibration, vibrating word... that is present in everybeing(all religion: hindu, muslim sikh christian)..
Yes this is true.. But m not taking the side of our Panth.. m not talking about reading the Bani.. again saying..
as this lines clearly tells that BANI is not what we are understanding...
but Bani is the power that is with in us... (SEE ORANGE lines)

and shabad about which here Gurubani is saying is also within us
and that SHABAD is BANI.
Please read the lines .. u will come to know BANI and SHABAD are one..
and within us. within our heart..
no need to speak from mouth... but we need to contemplate/meditate on the vibration that is already within us

ਸਚੇ ਭਗਤ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਵਾਰੇ ਸਚੋ ਸਚੁ ਵਖਾਣੇ ਰਾਮ
सचे भगत सोहहि दरवारे सचो सचु वखाणे राम ॥
sachay bhagat soheh darvaaray sacho sach vakhaanay raam.
The true devotees look beautiful in the Darbaar of the Lord's Court. They speak Truth, and only Truth.

ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰੇ ਸਾਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਾਚੋ ਆਪਿ ਪਛਾਣੇ ਰਾਮ
घट अंतरे साची बाणी साचो आपि पछाणे राम ॥
ghat antray saachee banee saacho aap pachhaanay raam.
Deep within the nucleus of their heart, is the True Word of the Lord's Bani. Through the Truth, they understand themselves.

ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣਹਿ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਸਾਚੇ ਸੋਝੀ ਹੋਈ
आपु पछाणहि ता सचु जाणहि साचे सोझी होई ॥
aap pachhaaneh taa sach jaaneh saachay sojhee ho-ee.
They understand themselves, and so know the True Lord, through their true intuition.

ਸਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਹੈ ਸੋਭਾ ਸਾਚੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਈ
सचा सबदु सची है सोभा साचे ही सुखु होई ॥
sachaa sabad sachee hai sobhaa saachay hee sukh ho-ee.
True is the Shabad, and True is its Glory; peace comes only from Truth.

ਸਾਚਿ ਰਤੇ ਭਗਤ ਇਕ ਰੰਗੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਕੋਈ
साचि रते भगत इक रंगी दूजा रंगु न कोई ॥
saach ratay bhagat ik rangee doojaa rang na ko-ee.
Imbued with Truth, the devotees love the One Lord; they do not love any other.

ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸ ਕਉ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਚੁ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥੪॥੨॥੩॥
नानक जिस कउ मसतकि लिखिआ तिसु सचु परापति होई ॥४॥२॥३॥
naanak jis ka-o mastak likhi-aa tis sach paraapat ho-ee. ||4||2||3||
O Nanak, he alone obtains the True Lord, who has such pre-ordained destiny written upon his forehead.

SVJKK SVJKF

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS ALSO

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2006
Dear sahilmakkar1983

Your Quote
"no need to speak from mouth... but we need to contemplate/meditate on the vibration that is already within us"

Here you are saying that that there is no need to read/recite/sing from Guru Granth Sahib ji. (But as you are quoting Gurbani, then there still is hope for you:)).

I can now understand why in another thread, you said that there is totally no need to read scriptures.! Is the above gurbani quotation the reasoning behind not reading Gurbani at all.?

So you are going to sit somewhere in a "Samadhi" and try to make a connection with your "inner light" with no help from our True Guru - Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji which contains Bani directly from Akal Purakh(GOD) and several englightened Sants.

So you saying that this is how you will remove the veil or ignorance and cleanse your 'soul/mind/inner being'
stained and polluted by sin's accumulated through many re-incarnations and in this life todate without the help of Shabad Guru, without the help Guru Nanak Dev ji. Are you that clever.? Are you that brave to deny the divine command of Gurbani?

I am just qurious to know your thinking behind.

Nov 29, 2006
My dear sister Kaur

nice to hear from u
First make me clear ... that do we need to follow our Guru Granth sahib jee or not
or should we only read SGGS again and again rather than to follow SGGS
and please put some lines where i said...
"I can now understand why in another thread, you said that there is totally no need to read scriptures.! Is the above gurbani quotation the reasoning behind not reading Gurbani at all.?"(So that i can answer u... let me check the context in which I said that)

Waiting for ur reply...
I will put everything from SGGS to answer u.. after ur reply

Gurufateh
Dear sahilmakkar1983

Your Quote
"no need to speak from mouth... but we need to contemplate/meditate on the vibration that is already within us"

Here you are saying that that there is no need to read/recite/sing from Guru Granth Sahib ji. (But as you are quoting Gurbani, then there still is hope for you:)).

I can now understand why in another thread, you said that there is totally no need to read scriptures.! Is the above gurbani quotation the reasoning behind not reading Gurbani at all.?

So you are going to sit somewhere in a "Samadhi" and try to make a connection with your "inner light" with no help from our True Guru - Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji which contains Bani directly from Akal Purakh(GOD) and several englightened Sants.

So you saying that this is how you will remove the veil or ignorance and cleanse your 'soul/mind/inner being'
stained and polluted by sin's accumulated through many re-incarnations and in this life todate without the help of Shabad Guru, without the help Guru Nanak Dev ji. Are you that clever.? Are you that brave to deny the divine command of Gurbani?

I am just qurious to know your thinking behind.

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
God and Guru are identical. If we accept that Baba Nanak-Ji attained Godhead then Guru Nanak-Ji and God are synonymous - Those who meditate on the Perfect Guru, the Lord-Incarnate-they are judged true in the Court of the Lord.
guru_nanak.jpg

'Gur meh aap rakhaya kartare.'

[FONT=Verdana, Arial][Maru Mohalla 1(15), p-1024][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]'In the body of Guru (Nanak) God revealeth Himself' [translation][/FONT][/FONT]

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006

qyrw kIqw jwqo nwhI mYno jogu kIqoeI ]
mY inrguixAwry ko guxu nwhI Awpy qrsu pieEeI ]
qrsu pieAw imhrwmiq hoeI siqguru sjxu imilAw ]
nwnk nwmu imlY qW jIvW qnu mnu QIvY hirAw ]

Nadeem

SPNer
Mar 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Dear Surinder-Ji,

Thank you for your post.

It is it possible you could translate the words you have added in your post (above) about Baba Nanak-Ji?

Also, is it permissble, in Sikh philosophy to believe that Baba Nanak-Ji was not God?

Your Comments would be apprecaited as usual.

Nadeem

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected Nadeem Ji and Aad0002 Ji,

i do not know what happened to many of the translations on Sunday, i guess that storm effected everything!!!!!!!! just kidding

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Arjan Dev ji page #1429(SGGS)

I have not appreciated what You(God) have done for me, only You can make me worthy.
I am unworthy - I have no worth or virtues at all. You have taken pity on me.
You took pity on me, and blessed me with Your Mercy, and I have met the True Guru.
O Nanak, if I am blessed with the Naam, I live, and my body and mind blossom forth.

forgive me please

Nov 29, 2006
please reply kaur ji
so that i can continue
My dear sister Kaur

nice to hear from u
First make me clear ... that do we need to follow our Guru Granth sahib jee or not
or should we only read SGGS again and again rather than to follow SGGS
and please put some lines where i said...
"I can now understand why in another thread, you said that there is totally no need to read scriptures.! Is the above gurbani quotation the reasoning behind not reading Gurbani at all.?"(So that i can answer u... let me check the context in which I said that)

Waiting for ur reply...
I will put everything from SGGS to answer u.. after ur reply

Gurufateh

Jul 10, 2006
Dear sahilmakkar1983 ji,Please do go ahead and post to your understanding on why we dont need to read Gurbani. I hope thats not what you meant. If I am mistaken then I do apologise sincerely.

Nov 29, 2006
Dear sister kaur

Please Answer my question also... because answer of ur question is only in my question

my question was/is:: Do we need to only read Gurubani or should we follow it also.. JUST EMPHASISE ON THIS QUESTION .. BEFORE GOING AHEAD .. U WILL GET THE ANSWER.. IF U DONT GET ANSWER FROM THIS QUESTION THEN READ IT....

Yes my dear sister... Gurubani is for all of us...
We should Read .. understand and then follow it .. what SGGS is saying..
I would rather say ,.. any scripture that is given to us.. is like last WILL(Vasiyat)..this is what gurubani says about reading of scriptures(any scriptures.. vedas, ramcharitmanas, shastar and gurubani also)
Tell me one thing.. if a father left a will(Vasiyat) for his sons.. and if sons keep reading that will document(Sarkari kagaz :: vasiyat).. and not go to aquire the land written in it.. then are they doing right .. will there father feel happy for them.
In the same way.. any scripture (m not saying only for gurubani).. if we keep it with respect(yes .. respect should be paid to the greatest thoughts in the world)... and not follow it.. then our Father(GOD) will not be happy .. but he wants us to follow us..
Now m putting some lines from gurubani.. just read and understand .. what it says.. and just think.... are NOT we doing the opposite to our great scripture.

PAGE NO 66-67
ਹਰਿ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਅਤਿ ਊਜਲਾ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
हरि निरमलु अति ऊजला बिनु गुर पाइआ न जाइ ॥
har nirmal at oojlaa bin gur paa-i-aa na jaa-ay.
The Lord is Immaculate and Radiantly Bright; without the Guru, He cannot be found.

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜੈ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਈ ਭੇਖੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇ ॥
पाठु पड़ै ना बूझई भेखी भरमि भुलाइ ॥
paath parhai naa boojh-ee bhaykhee bharam bhulaa-ay.
He cannot be understood by reading scriptures; the deceitful pretenders are deluded by doubt.

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੩॥
गुरमती हरि सदा पाइआ रसना हरि रसु समाइ ॥३॥
gurmatee har sadaa paa-i-aa rasnaa har ras samaa-ay. ||3||
Through the Guru's Teachings, the Lord is always found, and the tongue is permeated with the Sublime Essence of the Lord. ||3||

THIS LINES CLEARLY SAYS THAT WITHOUT GURU WE CANT ATTAIN HIM and READING/DOING PATHS(
ਪਾਠੁ) we are deluded.

PAGE 355
ਆਚਾਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਜੀਤਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥
आचारी नही जीतिआ जाइ ॥
aachaaree nahee jeeti-aa jaa-ay.
Through ritual actions, God cannot be won over;

ਪਾਠ ਪੜੈ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਇ ॥
पाठ पड़ै नही कीमति पाइ ॥
paath parhai nahee keemat paa-ay.
by reciting sacred scriptures, His value cannot be estimated.

ਅਸਟ ਦਸੀ ਚਹੁ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
असट दसी चहु भेदु न पाइआ ॥
asat dasee chahu bhayd na paa-i-aa.
The eighteen Puraanas and the four Vedas do not know His mystery.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੫॥੨੦॥
नानक सतिगुरि ब्रहमु दिखाइआ ॥५॥२०॥
naanak satgur barahm dikhaa-i-aa. ||5||20||
O Nanak, the True Guru has shown me the Lord God. ||5||20||

THIS LINES CLEARLY STATE THAT: WITH RITUAL ACTIONS WE CANT ACHIEVE GOD..
BY DOING/READING DAILY PATHS(
ਪਾਠ) NEITHER WE WILL COME TO KNOW THE VALUE OF GOD NOR WE WILL GET VALUE AT GOD-PLACE. BY READING SCRIPTURES WE CANT KNOW THE MYSTERY.. TRUE MASTER CAN SHOW U THE GOD(THOUGH HERE GURU NANAK DEV JI HAS SAID FOR HIMSELF; BUT THIS IS MESSAGE FOR US, BECAUSE ALL SAINTS SAYS FOR THEMSELF AND THAT THINGS ARE MESSAGE TO ALL WORLD.....FOR EXAMPLE: KABIR HAS SAID SO MANY LINES FOR HIMSELF AND THAT ARE HIS TEACHING TO WORLD)

THERE ARE SO MANY PLACES IN GURUBANI AND ALL OTHER SCRIPTURES THAT CLEARLY SAYS THAT ONLY READING IS NOT SUFFICIENT BUT.. WE NEED TO FOLLOW IT.

GURUFATEH

Dear sahilmakkar1983 ji,Please do go ahead and post to your understanding on why we dont need to read Gurbani. I hope thats not what you meant. If I am mistaken then I do apologise sincerely.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Arjan Dev Ji De Bachan in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib de page# 864

gurU gurU guru kir mn mor ]
gurU ibnw mY nwhI hor ]
gur kI tyk rhhu idnu rwiq ]
jw kI koie n mytY dwiq ]1]
guru prmysru eyko jwxu ]
jo iqsu BwvY so prvwxu ]1] rhwau ]
gur crxI jw kw mnu lwgY ]
dUKu drdu BRmu qw kw BwgY ]
gur kI syvw pwey mwnu ]
gur aUpir sdw kurbwnu ]2]
gur kw drsnu dyiK inhwl ]
gur ky syvk kI pUrn Gwl ]