• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The "Truth" Revealed. Its An Offense To Speak Punjabi At UNO

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hi, Sinister:

Who was the nicest man on the planet? If ya don’t mind my nosiness or curiosity?

Actually, they are a triad:

1. My Dad
  2. My first husband, Mani
  3. Our son, Sandeep
All gone on to bigger and better things, fortunately for them, sadly for me.

My seven brothers all considered Daddy a terror; he was always nice to me and totally charming to my friends - girls, of course - while I was growing up. They all adored him, no small accomplishment for a man who was 67 when I was born.

Chardi Kala,

Mai, SICL :ice:

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Kanwardeep ji,

I am quite surprised when you say that South does not have good Cricketers! you have the famous "wall" in Rahul Dravid. then you have Anil Kumble who very recently retired from test cricket only and still performing creditably in the 20 - 20 format in IPL and has 600 odd wickets and is the 3rd highest wicket taker of all time just behind Muthaiah Murlitharan of Sri Lanka and Shane Warne of Australia. Then you have VVS Laxman, Sreeshanth, Balaji. There are more but i am not able to recollect their names.

Hockey which was the preseve of Punjab, has now many players from Kerala, Dhanraj Pillai being foremost of them who was unfortunately done in by the machinisations of KPS Gill.

As far as olympic medals are concerned, it is only now that we have had a Gold Medalist in individual event that too only in clay pigieon shooting to Bindra. The other 2 medals 2 bronze in boxing and wrestling.

The largest number of Athletes in the 2008 olympic contingent were from South that is 10, 3 were from Punjab (All Kaurs!) and 3 from elsewhere. For game events such as Tennis, badminton, TT large majority were from south. Only in shooting wrestling and boxing all were from North mostly from Punjab and Haryana. This was unthinkable a few yewrs ago. Athleters used to be exclusively from North especially from Punjab.

As far as farmers suicides are concerned this has been an all India phenomena with the highest being from Vidharba in Maharashtra. Punjab too had quite a few.

ITminister from DMK has only been a recent Phenomena. Earlier in BJP time Pramod Mahajan looked after IT. But, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai had established themselves much earlier and no thanks to Politicians of any hue.

Even if you take infrastructure such as roads in the interior of the states, Tamilnadu has the best and backed up with excellent network of bus services. Haryana which was leading a few years back has fallen behind and Punjab is nowhere.

Even in the fields of Truck transport, Punjab had a near national monoply. Where ever you were in India yuo would find Sikh symbols on the trucks. No longer now. Now even in Delhi and Haryana you find isolated trucks with such symbols. Same is the case with Highway dhabas and Auto spare parts shops.In Army also the number has drastically comedown but that is due to GOI policy of proportional recruitment from all states, so that no particular state is able to monopolise armed might in itself.

Yes they still produce 50% of grain output of the country but as an earlier thread showed this is at tremendous cost such as ruining the groundwater and fertility of soil.

Most of the wealth on boorish display in Punjab is either from agriculture or from money sent home by NRIs.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
PUNJAB is the best example of the Aesop Fairy Tale...Hare and Toroise Race !!
Punjab is the Hare..and the rest of India are the Tortoises...In the early 40's PUNJAB raced ahead and went to SLEEP !! ( its a different matter that the "sleep" is not natural..its a COMA induced by vested anti-Punjab interests/lobby in Delhi).:(:(:(:(:(
NOW its a self fulfilling prophesy of DOOM...Punjab is awash in Illegal booze..drugs..loose women...bad corrupted politicians, police, civil service.land mafia, gangs, extra judicial killings, murders, goonda babas, maharajs, gurus,,,..you name it punjab has it..:}--}::}--}::}--}::down::down:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
narayanjot ji

we are both on the same page wrt the analysis approach. However, the logic of meaning, as you put it, also needs a data set to define it.

Most of the sociological research i have come across is based on large sample sets with data being gathered not only through objective questions but also through open ended discussions.

What we generally come across as the "vocal" resistance might actually be a fringe minority voice. This cannot be discerned by subjective analysis, but only through a data based and factual approach.

It's a quite famous saying i heard in college - In God we Trust, rest all back up with Data.

secondly - could you elaborate on the GOI initiatives we are talking about?

----------

on a side note:

if we are discussing sociological impact of government programs, i have seen impact in the tribal areas. The lifestyle of those people has been changed for good and bad due to the change. A few have benefited but a majority have fared badly.
I put that to poor planning and short sighted policies. A lot of work is required in those geographies.

It is similar in Africa and other developing nations.

--------

i see two major forces changing India.

Information - easy access to information through various media like tele, phones, internet and newspapers is leading to what many term as "ignition" of a billion minds. Information is a great leveler and this explosion is fast changing the face of urban and rural india.

Globalization - India might not be as hot as China for FDI but certainly it is spreading its influence in much bigger way. Access to global markets and global aspirations are driving today's youth.

There are pitfalls - inequity of benefits being reaped, poor infrastructure, poor administration

but it is easy to critique from outside. It is still a Work in progress and I can see only a bright future in next 20 years.

Sorry for the delay,

Whenever I think I have time to go back and follow up another event occurs that stymies me. Anyway - there are two articles I am still looking for. However, you will find these family health studies very interesting. They are looking at reproductive health broadly and not at abortion alone.

Here is the link. Each state in India is listed, as a hyperlink. If you click on the link you get a zip file and inside the zip file is a detailed report on reporductive health for that state. All results based on a biennial survey that has been ongoing since I believe 1991. Could be wrong. The methodology is covered in the navigation panel to the left.

Clikc on the state links to get the data
National Family Health Survey

It may take more time for me to find two other articles on GOI initiatives. They are hiding.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep ji,

I am quite surprised when you say that South does not have good Cricketers! you have the famous "wall" in Rahul Dravid. then you have Anil Kumble who very recently retired from test cricket only and still performing creditably in the 20 - 20 format in IPL and has 600 odd wickets and is the 3rd highest wicket taker of all time just behind Muthaiah Murlitharan of Sri Lanka and Shane Warne of Australia. Then you have VVS Laxman, Sreeshanth, Balaji. There are more but i am not able to recollect their names.

Hockey which was the preseve of Punjab, has now many players from Kerala, Dhanraj Pillai being foremost of them who was unfortunately done in by the machinisations of KPS Gill.

Harbans ji

Please re read my post I have said that karnataka players dominated cricket in 90s.but at present there is not even a single Good south Indian player in indian team.Both balaji
and sreesanth are not at all considered world class cricketers and are suffering from career threatening injuiries

On hockey i agree that domination of sikhs is now not much but again we all know that hockey is not so popular now and hardly you will find youths which are interested in hockey because it is not going to give them enough money

ITminister from DMK has only been a recent Phenomena. Earlier in BJP time Pramod Mahajan looked after IT. But, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai had established themselves much earlier and no thanks to Politicians of any hue.

Well both TDP and DMK were in position to bargain a lot from centre from 98.southern parties care too much about their regions and how much they bargained only god knows.
on IT industry as I mentioned earlier that large number of educated youths favoured south over north.Thjere was no reason for IT industry to pick punjab or any northern state over south.And yes Cms like chandrababu naidu played a key role in Development of Hyderabad as cybercity and he lost 2004 elections very badly so IT industry cannot be considered as barometer of development O/W IT centric chief ministers should never lost power.

Even in the fields of Truck transport, Punjab had a near national monoply. Where ever you were in India yuo would find Sikh symbols on the trucks. No longer now. Now even in Delhi and Haryana you find isolated trucks with such symbols. Same is the case with Highway dhabas and Auto spare parts shops.In Army also the number has drastically comedown but that is due to GOI policy of proportional recruitment from all states, so that no particular state is able to monopolise armed might in itself.

well for this we should blame present generation of sikh youths and and to some extent
sikh society.Just tell me what respect does a small transport owner or auto part shop owner do receive.How many sikh parents will marry their daughter to these type of youths and how many educated working sikh girls will marry them.These days craze has been shifted to working in MNC companies or going abroad

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Huck Finn ji

I will check it out. But more than that - Thanks for taking the time to check the link. Sometimes the info of the kind posted there is very dry and people skip it.

I have a couple more things to post on the subject. But am separated from my bookmarks at this time.

Will also respond to your earlier question about the logic of meaning -- but have had technical problems for two days. Please forgive me.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: