• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SciTech Stephen Hawking: Colonize Space Or End The Human Race

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Professor Stephen Hawking, one of the most famous theoretical physicists in the world, just celebrated his 70th birthday, despite suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease that has rendered him wheel chair bound and dependent on computers to communicate.

In a radio interview marking his birthday, which covered a wide range of topics, Hawking repeated his oft stated assertion that humanity must colonize space in order to ensure its long term survival.

What sort of events could destroy the human race if it stays on one planet?

Hawking mentioned the possibility of nuclear war or climate change as being the cause of human extinction. A recent article in Discovery magazine also suggested that a global pandemic-possibly as the result of a bio-engineered disease-or an asteroid or comet strike could end the human race on Earth. The New Scientist chimed in with the possibility of a gamma ray burst caused by the explosion of a nearby star zapping the Earth with lethal radiation. Even events that do not wipe out the human species-say a total economic collapse-could end civilization and cause the deaths of billions as modern infrastructure breaks down.

How would space colonies ensure the survival of the human race?
The late Arthur C. Clarke often said, as recently as a 1999 interview in the New York Times, that it was dangerous for the human race to have all of its eggs in one basket, i.e. the Earth. The idea is that if human civilization were spread out to several worlds, starting with the moon and Mars, a calamity occurring at any one world would not result in the end of human civilization.

Are there efforts to colonize space ongoing?
Despite the fact that there is a lot of talk about exploring and eventually settling space beyond low Earth orbit, the answer is sadly no at this time. The Constellation program, which was envisioned to eventually lead to lunar colonies, was cancelled by President Barack Obama. That does not mean there are not ideas floating around to settle other worlds.
The moon is an obvious venue for the first human settlement. A Howstuffworks article describes how a lunar settlement might be set up. The moon has water, in the form of ice at the bottom of permanently shaded craters at the poles, oxygen chemically bonded with lunar soil, and a variety of other resources necessary for human survival.

Other visionaries point to Mars. Robert Zubrin, in his book "The Case for Mars," envisions the Red Planet as a second branch of human civilization. Eventually human settlers would use terraforming techniques to turn Mars into an analogue of Earth, with breathable air, running water, and an active biosphere where humans could walk around without need of space suits.

The late Dr. Gerard K. O'Neill suggested, in a book "The High Frontier," a more radical approach to colonizing space. Instead of going to another world, he envisioned humans-in effect-building their own worlds using extraterrestrial resources to build huge, rotating space colonies where people would live inside a rotating cylinder large enough to build small towns in. Such a colony was depicted in the science fiction TV series "Babylon Five."

Mark R. Whittington is the author of Children of Apollo and The Last Moonwalker . He has written on space subjects for a variety of periodicals, including The Houston Chronicle, The Washington Post, USA Today, the L.A. Times, and The Weekly Standard.

(http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-hawking-colonize-space-end-human-race-192615409.html)

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
I say WaheGuru put us on Earth for a reason. If humans were mean't to be on a different planet then why put us on Earth?... If were are to be become extinct, so what, the same has happened/happening to allot of animals. Guess who has made this happen "humans"...

Do the scientist think they can control nature, I think not.. People should stop being selfish and live to their means... this is the only way forward...

------------------------
ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਕੀਜੀਐ ਜੋ ਅਨਹੋਨੀ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥: Chintaa taa kee keejeeai jo anahonee hoi. Ihu maaragu sansaar ko Guru Nanak thir nahee koi: People begin to worry when something unexpected happens. This is the way of the world, O Guru Nanak; nothing is stable here (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1429).

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I say WaheGuru put us on Earth for a reason. If humans were mean't to be on a different planet then why put us on Earth?... If were are to be become extinct, so what, the same has happened/happening to allot of animals. Guess who has made this happen "humans"...

Do the scientist think they can control nature, I think not.. People should stop being selfish and live to their means... this is the only way forward...

------------------------
ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਕੀਜੀਐ ਜੋ ਅਨਹੋਨੀ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥: Chintaa taa kee keejeeai jo anahonee hoi. Ihu maaragu sansaar ko Guru Nanak thir nahee koi: People begin to worry when something unexpected happens. This is the way of the world, O Guru Nanak; nothing is stable here (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1429).

Baljinder S ji,

In response to your first statement, I can only say that Akaal Purakh gave us arms instead of wings for a reason. If we were meant to fly then why not give us wings? :confusedkudi:

I do believe in space colonization, in theory. I am unsure of the ethics of settling another planet when we obviously cannot take care of the one we have.

I would love to visit and possibly live on other planets because I am the adventurous type and like new experiences. I would not be doing it to perpetuate our species.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
When we are created we are give for example hands, feet, eyes, brain, etc.

The essence of being is,

• Hands are to reach beyond the reachable
  • Feet to walk beyond the near
  • Eyes to see beyond the nose
  • Brain to think beyond practical
Out of all such a wonderful human being shines that the creator marvels at. Creations at other earths not yet seen are perhaps laughing at us and our primitive thinking. They probably know of us while we still look at the Moon and Mars as next steps.

Sat Sri Akal.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
When we are created we are give for example hands, feet, eyes, brain, etc.

The essence of being is,

• Hands are to reach beyond the reachable
  • Feet to walk beyond the near
  • Eyes to see beyond the nose
  • Brain to think beyond practical
Out of all such a wonderful human being shines that the creator marvels at. Creations at other earths not yet seen are perhaps laughing at us and our primitive thinking. They probably know of us while we still look at the Moon and Mars as next steps.

Sat Sri Akal.

Thank you Ji for your insight.

I agree with you to some extent. Humans are selfish being by nature. Where will this kind of thinking stop?... at what cost? As you said, look what we have done to planet earth. What will we do to other planets?

From the Sikh point of view. Our aim is merge with the almighty so why would we need to spend so much time focusing on external things.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
From the Sikh point of view. Our aim is merge with the almighty so why would we need to spend so much time focusing on external things.
BaljinderS ji thanks for your post.

This merging thing is a very dangerous and taken quite blindly and preached so too.

Can you describe what merging means to you?

For me we are never un-merged. We come from the ground, air and water and we go back to the same. Whether we do it on earth or some other planet or galaxy makes Zero difference to the creator or creation. Wherever we are, we are always part and merged with where we are. No special effort required.

The question of whether we live on a planet foolishly and destroy ourselves and take some other life forms down with us is a choice for our species. They say {censored}roaches will prevail after a nuclear holocaust. They too will come from the ground, water and air and be reusing what we leave behind. Probably in a million years thereafter a new generation of smarter people will come about again.

Right now continents are generally separated by water and air. What difference does it make if we are separated by space. Say the world split into two earths, would people refuse to live on one versus the other. I thinks they will learn to adapt and live where they are.

What you think? mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
BaljinderS ji thanks for your post.

This merging thing is a very dangerous and taken quite blindly and preached so too.

Can you describe what merging means to you?

For me we are never un-merged. We come from the ground, air and water and we go back to the same. Whether we do it on earth or some other planet or galaxy makes Zero difference to the creator or creation. Wherever we are, we are always part and merged with where we are. No special effort required.

The question of whether we live on a planet foolishly and destroy ourselves and take some other life forms down with us is a choice for our species. They sy {censored}roaches will prevail after a nuclear holocaust. They too will come from the ground, water and air and be reusing what we leave behind. Probably in a million years thereafter a new generation of smarter people will come about again.

Right now continents are generally separated by water and air. What difference does it make if we are separated by space. Say the world split into two earths, would people refuse to live on one versus the other. I thinks they will learn to adapt and live where they are.

What you think? mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Thank you for pointing this out. I agree with you totally.

I was not referring to merging in the physical terms. What I actually meant was to become one with the almighty; to realise our true Joti Saroop;

ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥: Iou kahai Nanak mann toon joti saroop hai apanaa mool pashaan ||5||: Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are the embodiment or the True Image of the Divine Light (i.e., God) – recognize your Origin ||5|| (sggs 441).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM