• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Girls Who Do Not Cut Their Head Hair, But Remove All Other Hair On Their Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Re: Sikh Girls Who Do Not Cut Their Head Hair, But Remove All Other Hair on Their Bod

Dear Singh ji I read the first 3pages then skip through the rest due off topic arguing sorry for missing some replies and my post was meant to be taken with a light hearted view. still finger nails are what God gave us and men still trim them.
The God gave us this and that argument is totally illogical because he gave us a nail cutter as well. He also gave us scissors, shaving cream, razors and a barber for a certain fee. :D

(This is an addition to my previous post. Since I can no longer delete my post and add it to the previous one...)

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england
Re: Sikh Girls Who Do Not Cut Their Head Hair, But Remove All Other Hair on Their Bod

Dear Singh ji, Bhagatsingh ji
I have now read all pages of this thread along with the link provided by Bhagatsingh ji. The paper that is written in the link is only a theory relating to mans social acceptance through perception of hair and relates to men, it states that a man with long hair is seen as one who is free and not a slave to modern sociaty, based on this one could assume then that Guru Gobing Singh ji was telling Sikhs to make this statement. It also states that it is only natural for children and women that are free from facial hair, Not true if one looks around(Flaud statement). Body hair is a throw back to our ancient ancestory and our having it or not is based on our genetics. Most africans, aboriginies and native south americans have very little body hair, while most white europeans still have quite alot, Thus it can be assumed that it is a climatic responce by our genes. Our genes are affected by many things including what we eat, the intake of chemicals has major impact on them including predispsotion to cancer ( a major concern) To extra hair growth ( a not so major concern to men). So is this Gods work or mans interverance in what is natural. Now Singh ji you mentioned Hukam, It appears to me as a relatively newcomer to Sikhism that members of the Khalsa panth are very good at Following the tenth Gurus Hukam but not quite so Good at following Guru Nanaks jis Hukam, in that they still have caste system, Dowry system and many other Panjabi cultural practises. Guru Nanak ji said all are equal yet many still frown on my partner when she is with me with many comments from younger Sikhs saying that people should stick to their own, even on this forum (no equality there) I believe in one God and do not attempt to give him description unlike some who believe Nanak ji was God, I awake in the morning and fill my mind with thoughts of God, I think of God in all I do, I treat all people with the same respect and as my equals be they tramps or lords, I do not see myself as a slave to the system having no value of my worldly goods, Believing that my only valubles that i posses is my love for God and all Gods creations, I look for the beauty in all people that i meet and do my best to control my anger although not always succeeding but still im getting better. I do my best to be a good Sikh, Yet when i go to my local shop the Sikh gentleman there looks down on me and has never once greeted me as a Sikh (he his held in high esteem by the local Sikh community), So it appears to me that many of the Khalsa panth believe that they are better Sikhs than the none turban wearing Sikhs which is a clear breach of the first Guru jis Hukam. So as you have a greater knowledge of the Guru Granth Sahib ji than me knowing what is Hukam could you please explain this retention of panjabi culture to me as i cant find it in the Granth anywhere, could you also please explain knowing now how i conduct my dialy life why a Khalsa Sikh should treat me in this way and why if Sikhs believe in equality do they frown on my relationship with a panjabi girl. I am not accusing you personally of this but am asking a knowledgeable Sikh for Help then i might be able to understand the importance of hair.
Tony

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

If the situation is ignored that don't mean its not important. Also the only people that ignore it is the ones that don't want to follow it. If you don't want to follow the Guru that's fine don't then.

It's not practical based on what?
I meant people who say he gave the hukam of keeping unshorn hair, completely ignore the situation he gave it in.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

I have now read all pages of this thread along with the link provided by Bhagatsingh ji. The paper that is written in the link is only a theory relating to mans social acceptance through perception of hair and relates to men, it states that a man with long hair is seen as one who is free and not a slave to modern sociaty, based on this one could assume then that Guru Gobing Singh ji was telling Sikhs to make this statement.
I thought that article explained why men started cutting their hair. When you realize why all this hair cutting began you will understand why the bolded text above is true. Its important to look at history to obtain this wisdom and that's exactly what the article does. Saying that its about perception of male hair is an understatement for that article.

Tony ji the thing is that Muslims, when converting someone, would cut their hair (I don't know if they still do that). The keeping of unshorn hair (the hukam) was a slap in the face of conversion.

It also states that it is only natural for children and women that are free from facial hair, Not true if one looks around(Flaud statement).
Well, children and women generally don't have a beard or a moustache, and men generally do. i don't think its flawed, its a general statement.

Body hair is a throw back to our ancient ancestory and our having it or not is based on our genetics. Most africans, aboriginies and native south americans have very little body hair, while most white europeans still have quite alot, Thus it can be assumed that it is a climatic responce by our genes. Our genes are affected by many things including what we eat, the intake of chemicals has major impact on them including predispsotion to cancer ( a major concern) To extra hair growth ( a not so major concern to men). So is this Gods work or mans interverance in what is natural.
Depends on how you want to look at it. I could say man does it, but then God is the almighty so its under him. Someone will say humans have a choice, others will say we don't... bla bla bla

Now Singh ji you mentioned Hukam, It appears to me as a relatively newcomer to Sikhism that members of the Khalsa panth are very good at Following the tenth Gurus Hukam but not quite so Good at following Guru Nanaks jis Hukam, in that they still have caste system, Dowry system and many other Panjabi cultural practises.
Both Guru Nanak's message and Guru Gobind Singh's message was consistent.
If that is true, Khalsa seems like its an inconsistency, doesn't it? Well, Khalsa is a discipline for armies. You have to put it into historical context. Why was there a need for Khalsa? To fight oppression with sword. Guru Nanak was already fighting with words. Guru Gobind Singh needed soldiers. he needed the common folk to fight with him! He needed to turn farmers, merchants, etc into fierce and deadly warriors
The amrit sanchar, the hukams, the uniform, the change of names, last names, did just that!

Guru Nanak ji said all are equal yet many still frown on my partner when she is with me with many comments from younger Sikhs saying that people should stick to their own, even on this forum (no equality there) I believe in one God and do not attempt to give him description unlike some who believe Nanak ji was God, I awake in the morning and fill my mind with thoughts of God, I think of God in all I do, I treat all people with the same respect and as my equals be they tramps or lords, I do not see myself as a slave to the system having no value of my worldly goods, Believing that my only valubles that i posses is my love for God and all Gods creations, I look for the beauty in all people that i meet and do my best to control my anger although not always succeeding but still im getting better. I do my best to be a good Sikh, Yet when i go to my local shop the Sikh gentleman there looks down on me and has never once greeted me as a Sikh (he his held in high esteem by the local Sikh community), So it appears to me that many of the Khalsa panth believe that they are better Sikhs than the none turban wearing Sikhs which is a clear breach of the first Guru jis Hukam.
So as you have a greater knowledge of the Guru Granth Sahib ji than me knowing what is Hukam could you please explain this retention of panjabi culture to me as i cant find it in the Granth anywhere, could you also please explain knowing now how i conduct my dialy life why a Khalsa Sikh should treat me in this way and why if Sikhs believe in equality do they frown on my relationship with a panjabi girl. I am not accusing you personally of this but am asking a knowledgeable Sikh for Help then i might be able to understand the importance of hair.
Tony
You know Khalsa can be considered sort of like a club. You are initiated, you are given a uniform and a new identity. And you know how sometimes, people who think similarly, will look down upon people who don't think like them? That's whats going on.
People in groups dont tend to encourage differences. it leads to the phenomenon called group think. Look it up.
Khalsa actually falls in that category. It was never meant to encourage differences. But it does come down to people who are in this group. They can choose to encourage different ideas or they can choose to suppress them. Punjabi culture may have to do with this. Children are discouraged when they ask questions. Asking "Why?" is almost considered a slap to the face. Those are my observations on Punjabi culture.

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england

dear Bhagatsingh ji thank you for responding, I will not disagree with you regarding most pionts as im fully aware of mulsim conversion practise, it is only your defence of the pionts i raised regarding some members of the Khalsa, I accept that all Guru jis preached the same message, but it is my interpretation that the Khalsa was founded to fight for the right to follow Guru jis and one of the major messages was that all are equal and all deserve the same respect, it was also the aim to stamp out caste system and many other panjabi cultural practices, yet it is a fact that rather than practice Guru jis message they would still prefer to practice panjabi culturalism, this is the totally opposite to Sikhism and as such there is no defence, the group thinking should be of Gods word and of the Guru jis message, if the man at the corner corner shop stopped looking down on me and spoke he would then find that my thoughts are the same. It seems that alot of the Khalsa panth believe they are better Sikhs merely because of their uniform. it is not my intention to slander the Khalsa merely to piont out some of the faults it has developed over three centuries, So my piont was to show that in relation to the aforementioned the removal of hair is not that big a deal, I shave regularly as I have no need to prove Im not a muslim, My respect for our Guru jis and the symbol of Sikhism is shown in my actions, the way I treat all as equals, that is my Kesh, My Kangha is my conscience that combs through my mind cleaning it of impure thoughts, my symbol of chastity and self control is the undieing Love I have for my family and the devotion I show them, that is my kangha, My Kirpan is the truth I speak as was Nanak jis and My kara is my unending Love for God and all his creations, so you see I feel no need to wear any symbols to prove my faith and feel far to many wear them as they find them easy to put on than to really follow Guru jis teaching. I would like to apologise most sincerly to those of the Khalsa panth who do there best to practice Sikhism as it should be and not panjabi Culturalism, Those who practice the latter Good look to you and maybe we'll meet on the next time round. Forgiveness is a virtue, to judge and condem is something for God to decide.
Tony

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

If the Hukam was limited to a situation then the Tenth Nanak would have said so. Never put any limits on it. Uncut hair is the Gurus Seal.
When all other teachings of Gurus were made eternal by preserving in the eternal Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, then why was " unshorn hair" left out.

When all other teachings of Gurus were made eternal by preserving in the eternal Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, then why was " unshorn hair" left out.

If you prefer to go this way then you should also be asking how come Akal Takht is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Akal Takht is the Throne of the Immortal which is the highest political institution of Sikhi. This lesson is very important in Sikhi. Why isn't Akal Takht included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

If you believe it is not important or whatever other excuse you have for not following the Tenth Nanak Hukam then that is fine, but Sikhs accept and value every Hukam highly and equally.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

If you prefer to go this way then you should also be asking how come Akal Takht is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Akal Takht is the Throne of the Immortal which is the highest political institution of Sikhi. This lesson is very important in Sikhi. Why isn't Akal Takht included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.
Akal Takht could be the highest political authority in Sikhism. This is not a lesson nor a teaching nor a hukam. In fact, the highest authority for any person should be their intellect, their brain/mind, whether dealing with politics or spirituality. Akal takht is nothing compared to a man (or woman's) intellect.
But since you've said they are our authority. I have a question, why do we consider them our authority?

If you believe it is not important or whatever other excuse you have for not following the Tenth Nanak Hukam then that is fine, but Sikhs accept and value every Hukam highly and equally.
Singh ji if you fail to see proper reasoning then its you who must pratice to see it, that is, whether someone has properly supported their arguments, etc. Excuses are composed of fallacies, where conslusions don't often follow the premises. Point that out in my post and I will accept that my reasoning is an excuse.

I will point out your excuse. By simply stating that its a hukam, and without considering other factors, you excuse yourself from any thinking you may need to do.

I have now read all pages of this thread along with the link provided by Bhagatsingh ji. The paper that is written in the link is only a theory relating to mans social acceptance through perception of hair and relates to men, it states that a man with long hair is seen as one who is free and not a slave to modern sociaty, based on this one could assume then that Guru Gobing Singh ji was telling Sikhs to make this statement. It also states that it is only natural for children and women that are free from facial hair, Not true if one looks around(Flaud statement). Body hair is a throw back to our ancient ancestory and our having it or not is based on our genetics. Most africans, aboriginies and native south americans have very little body hair, while most white europeans still have quite alot, Thus it can be assumed that it is a climatic responce by our genes. Our genes are affected by many things including what we eat, the intake of chemicals has major impact on them including predispsotion to cancer ( a major concern) To extra hair growth ( a not so major concern to men). So is this Gods work or mans interverance in what is natural. Now Singh ji you mentioned Hukam, It appears to me as a relatively newcomer to Sikhism that members of the Khalsa panth are very good at Following the tenth Gurus Hukam but not quite so Good at following Guru Nanaks jis Hukam, in that they still have caste system, Dowry system and many other Panjabi cultural practises. Guru Nanak ji said all are equal yet many still frown on my partner when she is with me with many comments from younger Sikhs saying that people should stick to their own, even on this forum (no equality there) I believe in one God and do not attempt to give him description unlike some who believe Nanak ji was God, I awake in the morning and fill my mind with thoughts of God, I think of God in all I do, I treat all people with the same respect and as my equals be they tramps or lords, I do not see myself as a slave to the system having no value of my worldly goods, Believing that my only valubles that i posses is my love for God and all Gods creations, I look for the beauty in all people that i meet and do my best to control my anger although not always succeeding but still im getting better. I do my best to be a good Sikh, Yet when i go to my local shop the Sikh gentleman there looks down on me and has never once greeted me as a Sikh (he his held in high esteem by the local Sikh community), So it appears to me that many of the Khalsa panth believe that they are better Sikhs than the none turban wearing Sikhs which is a clear breach of the first Guru jis Hukam. So as you have a greater knowledge of the Guru Granth Sahib ji than me knowing what is Hukam could you please explain this retention of panjabi culture to me as i cant find it in the Granth anywhere, could you also please explain knowing now how i conduct my dialy life why a Khalsa Sikh should treat me in this way and why if Sikhs believe in equality do they frown on my relationship with a panjabi girl. I am not accusing you personally of this but am asking a knowledgeable Sikh for Help then i might be able to understand the importance of hair.
Tony

Tony ji, you say equality should be held in high regards, some others say hair should be held in high regards and I say following Guru ji, both should be held in high regards. Tony, you say others are picking and choosing what they follow but look at your own cards. You are doing the same thing by saying hair is not a big deal. A Hukam of the Guru is a Hukam that must be followed. Cutting your hair and inequality are both manmat, following the mind instead of following Guru ji. Keeping of the hair uncut and taking Amrit is not just an exterior Identity I am a Sikh. This yearning comes from within; as you command Guru Sahib this Manmukh will step onto your path.

There was a Sakhi where Guru Amar Das ji wanted to test his two son in laws and they were told to make a platform each from where Guru Sahib would address the Sadh Sangat. Both Bhai Rama and Bhai Jetha built the platforms but Guru Ji rejected both as unsuitable. Bhai Rama Ji and Bhai Jetha Ji rebuilt the platforms a second and third time but with the same results. Guru Ji continued rejecting the platforms until Bhai Rama Ji refused to build anymore. Bhai Jetha built and rebuilt the platform 7 times and each time falling at Guru Amardas Ji’s feet asking for forgiveness and pleading ignorance of Guru Ji’s exact requirement. Guru Amardas Ji hugged Bhai Jetha and said “The Light of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is in you”, Bhai Jetha was then renamed Guru Ramdas Ji (God’s Servant) and became the fourth Guru King.

It was because of Bhai Jethas obedients to Guru Amar Das ji that he became Guru Ram Das ji. Another example would be Bhai Lehna ji as Guru Nanak Dev ji said Bhai Lehna ji (Guru Angad Dev ji) did without any questioning or hesitation.

When you look at people today they hesitate and question meditating, keeping hair, taking Amrit, and etc etc. You name it and people today question Guru ji. Ask yourself this why didn't Bhai Lehna or Bhai Jetha ji just say I'm doing majority to follow Guru Sahib and what Guru Nanak Dev ji or Guru Amar Das ji tells me now is not a big deal? Once a Sikh ask's oneself this question honestly then that hair on the body will not be even mistakenly removed by a Sikh.

As punjabi culture goes there is a thread to discuss this topic. It is in the Question and Answer section.

Akal Takht could be the highest political authority in Sikhism.

Not could be highest it is the highest. It is given this title by our Sixth Guru.

This is not a lesson nor a teaching nor a hukam.

For some it is a lesson when they don't know what Akal Takht is and why it was created.

In fact, the highest authority for any person should be their intellect, their brain/mind, whether dealing with politics or spirituality.

Bhagat Singh, Guru Sahib calls this Manmukh behavoir. The highest authority is Guru ji and for political decisions Guru Sahib gave the authority to Akal Takht with Guru Sahibs agreeing on the decisions.

Akal takht is nothing compared to a man (or woman's) intellect.

Guru Sahib said different and protected Akal Takht and Sikhs like Baba Deep Singh ji has laid his life down for Akal Takht and Harmandir Sahib.

But since you've said they are our authority. I have a question, why do we consider them our authority?

Order given by Guru Har Gobind Sahib ji.

Singh ji if you fail to see proper reasoning then its you who must pratice to see it, that is, whether someone has properly supported their arguments, etc. Excuses are composed of fallacies, where conslusions don't often follow the premises. Point that out in my post and I will accept that my reasoning is an excuse.

Excuses by you, the Hukam was given limited to a situation. Excuse, not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Excuse not practical today. None of these excuses are reasonable because of their false support or no support.

I will point out your excuse. By simply stating that its a hukam, and without considering other factors, you excuse yourself from any thinking you may need to do.

I have no excuse. Neither do I need one. The tenth Nanak made a Hukam and I follow the Hukam. A excuse is when one wants to be exempted from following the Hukam. In this case you are that person that uses excuse to release yourself from following Guru ji.

In fact, the highest authority for any person should be their intellect, their brain/mind, whether dealing with politics or spirituality.

The reason why you disobey and lead others to disobey Guru ji.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Singh ji

You have asked of Bhagat Singh ji the following question: "Why do you disobey and lead others to disobey Guruji." (seconds ago you modified your question and turned it into a conclusion.) Please hold off on unwarranted accusations. It "appears" to you that Bhagat ji disobeys. You make an "inference" that he disobeys. He may simply be laying out possible scenarios and counterarguments as a good problem solver does. And you have nothing of evidence to show that he has lead anyone anywhere. This is the Internet.

Bhagat ji is an excellent debater with a curious mind. I know there is a layer within Sikhism suffers from moral allergies to questions. But that was not the intention of the Gurus.

Refrain from this unnecessary negativity.

Thank you

Singh ji

You have asked of Bhagat Singh ji the following question: "Why do you disobey and lead others to disobey Guruji." (seconds ago you modified your question and turned it into a conclusion.) Please hold off on unwarranted accusations. It "appears" to you that Bhagat ji disobeys. You make an "inference" that he disobeys. He may simply be laying out possible scenarios and counterarguments as a good problem solver does. And you have nothing of evidence to show that he has lead anyone anywhere. This is the Internet.

Bhagat ji is an excellent debater with a curious mind. I know there is a layer within Sikhism suffers from moral allergies to questions. But that was not the intention of the Gurus.

Refrain from this unnecessary negativity.

Thank you

Aad ji, I didn't even ask the question to Bhagat Singh the question you are accusing me of asking. In no way I asked Bhagat Singh this question. I modified nothing. Is this some kind of sick joke because if i wanted to ask him that question i would and would not modify it.

And right after posting my response I went to a different thread; Sikh of the Guru. If I wrote something to what you are accusing me of then I would own up to it and then apologize for the question. Since I didn't ask the question then there is no need to warn me about it.

The highest authority is what i said in my post to bhagat Singh and if he finds me telling him Guru ji is the highest authority hurtful, then he needs to deal with is down falls on not understanding Gurbani and knowing the difference between Gurmukh way of life and Manmukh way of life.

I get blamed for things I don't even do. Now that is really amusing.

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england

Dear Singh ji
My piont was that all to many are quick to grow their hair as an outward sign of Sikhism and carrying the five Ks is enough, Yet they dont following the hukams laid down by the founder of Sikhism, They love to wear the uniform of the khalsa so every one can see them and have them think that they are dedicated to Sikhism when in reality they are followimg only one Gurus teachings. If they are going to wear a uniform and become a soldier then they must obey all hukams. An army is made up of well trained disiplined people, they start with basic training, in Sikhisms case that would be with Guru Nanak jis hukams, only when they have learnt each stage do they progress to the next, and only when they have learnt and can demonstrate what they have learnt are they allowed to put on the full uniform. Far to many put on the uniform first and once on they never bother learning the basics. Any one can read and quote from a book, I am still in basic trianing and would never dare insult Guru jis by wearing the uniform of a Khalsa Sikh untill ive have mastered the basics, which appear to me to be the treating all as equals, if you where to start at the other end of trianing then you are taking the weapons without knowing how to use them, the sword is swung out without any precision, it strikes every one including your own cutting them down before they get a chance, in my case, Members of the higher ranks frown on me because i dont grow hair they think im inferior yet in doing so they are only showing their own failings, they dont understand the basics concept of all are equal. it is whats inside that makes a true Sikh. Without the basics the growing of your Hair is nothing more than a ritual, when hair is grown like this it is merely a worldly item that can not be taken to the next so are the rest of the five Ks, without the basics they are nothing as is the taking of Amrit they are just rituals. the prove is the order in which they are written down. Start at the beginning of the Guru Granth Sahib ji and see for yourselve. The Gurujis taught it in that order with the taking of Amrit and the Khalsa coming last for a reason. starting with equality, being humble, serving all, considering yourselve below all others, Now it is started at the end first, they put on the uniform and behave like the Generals giving out the orders saying what is right and what is wrong without knowing the real truth. One other thing could you please tell me where in the Granth does it mention body hair as i cant remember ever reading it.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Dear Singh ji
My piont was that all to many are quick to grow their hair as an outward sign of Sikhism and carrying the five Ks is enough, Yet they dont following the hukams laid down by the founder of Sikhism, They love to wear the uniform of the khalsa so every one can see them and have them think that they are dedicated to Sikhism when in reality they are followimg only one Gurus teachings. If they are going to wear a uniform and become a soldier then they must obey all hukams. An army is made up of well trained disiplined people, they start with basic training, in Sikhisms case that would be with Guru Nanak jis hukams, only when they have learnt each stage do they progress to the next, and only when they have learnt and can demonstrate what they have learnt are they allowed to put on the full uniform. Far to many put on the uniform first and once on they never bother learning the basics. Any one can read and quote from a book, I am still in basic trianing and would never dare insult Guru jis by wearing the uniform of a Khalsa Sikh untill ive have mastered the basics, which appear to me to be the treating all as equals, if you where to start at the other end of trianing then you are taking the weapons without knowing how to use them, the sword is swung out without any precision, it strikes every one including your own cutting them down before they get a chance, in my case, Members of the higher ranks frown on me because i dont grow hair they think im inferior yet in doing so they are only showing their own failings, they dont understand the basics concept of all are equal. it is whats inside that makes a true Sikh. Without the basics the growing of your Hair is nothing more than a ritual, when hair is grown like this it is merely a worldly item that can not be taken to the next so are the rest of the five Ks, without the basics they are nothing as is the taking of Amrit they are just rituals. the prove is the order in which they are written down. Start at the beginning of the Guru Granth Sahib ji and see for yourselve. The Gurujis taught it in that order with the taking of Amrit and the Khalsa coming last for a reason. starting with equality, being humble, serving all, considering yourselve below all others, Now it is started at the end first, they put on the uniform and behave like the Generals giving out the orders saying what is right and what is wrong without knowing the real truth. One other thing could you please tell me where in the Granth does it mention body hair as i cant remember ever reading it.

Tony Ji,
Gurfateh.

THAT is because they think that "Khandeh batte dee pahul" is the END !! That they have ARRIVED. That they are at the PEAK...
Little do they realise that this is just the BEGINNING !!! This is just the FIRST STEP...the LONG JOURNEY..leading to the DESTINATION is far far away....

1. NO Armed Forces of any country..simply give anyone the Full Uniform.. on DAY ONE...and send them home as "OFFICERS"....Go forth..your Nation Depends on YOU !!
2. NO Police Academy ever gives out the full uniform on the very First day and says..OK now you are policemen..GO forth and do what a Police Officer does ???

BUT any one desiring to enter the Khalsa Brotherhood Can do this....just attend any Khandeh Batte dee pahul Ceremony (Amrit -Chhaknna)..and about Half an hour later..Lo and behold..a KHALSA in full Banna !! Instant Khalsa !! ??? They even PROVIDE you a FREE kangha/kachera/kirpan/Karra etc..just in case you dotn have them/didnt bring them/dont want to buy your own ?? About the ONLY thing you must have that belongs to YOU is KESH..and that is becasue no one can provide you with that !!!
Can then we blame such instant khalsas for forgetting that they just BEGAN....and NOT COMPLETED anything ???
No Tests for any Banis..no test for any Gurbani knowledge/history..how a Sikh should behave etc..NOTHING. Just WALK IN....even MCDonalds dont have such fast service !!!

KHALSA is a very TOUGH proposition....the GURUS took 250 YEARS to PREPARE fro the KHALSA...the Very First Five had to stand up and be COUNTED....among a crowd of 80,000 they stood up to offer their HEAD ( Literally and not SYMBOLICALLY as we DO ).

Thus any wonder that we have purely "symbolical " khalsas today...?? who strutt about in the Banna in full Haumai at beign superior to other Sikhs just becasue they went through a ceremony..This is why the Sikh Shopkeepr you mention looks at you with disdain...He must imagine himself far superior to you !!

SIKHI is wallon nikki and talwaron tikhii..Narrower than a strand of Hair..and Sharper than the sharpest blade of the sword....such a DIFFICULT PATH !!! Can it be that easy as many Instant Khalsas make it out to be ?? The DIFFICULT PATH comes AFTER Amit Chhak...NOT BEFORE !! Banna dee LAAJ..DIGNITY of the UNIFORM is an added burden on the shoulders of the Khalsa...and thsi is in ADDITION to the Commands of GURBANI in SGGS....
Take Heart....and carry on your chosen path..Guru Ji wll shower His Kirpa on YOu as on anyone else who asks Him....there is no INTERMEDIARY between SIKH-GURU. Each of US has his own pace..own speed..own way..to meet the GURU....no need to feel guilty/depressed/inferiroty complex..or any such thing....CHARDEEKALLA ALWAYS is the MOTTO to remember.:happy:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Tony Ji..
The SGGS does have mention of "Rom rom....each strand of hair on my body..." and several places mention of Beards, long hair on head , uch dumalla, dastar etc etc.
I wont make it easy for you by quoting...IF you so desire..you can find it. you will have noticed by now that I seldom "provide the answers"...i prefer my students/readers to do the detective work themsleves...more challenging that way..:welcome:

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england

Thank you Gyani ji for your continued support, the man at the shop has never made me feel inferiour, he was only used as an example to show that we all have a lot to learn and a need for us to become more tolerant of others who are still trying. No one is perfect and before we judge others we should judge ourselves . I feel equality to all is far more important than the hair on my head and that one should not join an army if your not prepared to follow every order.
Tony
p.s. an excellent way to teach

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan

Dear Sis,

It is a very sensitive subject and it does create an up roar with the Khalsa Sikhs. But to answer your question there is no where written in AGGS about removal of hairs affects your spirituality. I can participate in a civil academic debate on the subject. Guru Gobind Singh added the Bani of his father in to AGGS and have enough time to add another page 1431 on hairs etc if he wanted to make these mandatory.

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Aad ji, I didn't even ask the question to Bhagat Singh the question you are accusing me of asking. In no way I asked Bhagat Singh this question. I modified nothing. Is this some kind of sick joke because if i wanted to ask him that question i would and would not modify it.

And right after posting my response I went to a different thread; Sikh of the Guru. If I wrote something to what you are accusing me of then I would own up to it and then apologize for the question. Since I didn't ask the question then there is no need to warn me about it.

The highest authority is what i said in my post to bhagat Singh and if he finds me telling him Guru ji is the highest authority hurtful, then he needs to deal with is down falls on not understanding Gurbani and knowing the difference between Gurmukh way of life and Manmukh way of life.

I get blamed for things I don't even do. Now that is really amusing.

Please do not do it again. Thank you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Dear Sis,

It is a very sensitive subject and it does create an up roar with the Khalsa Sikhs. But to answer your question there is no where written in AGGS about removal of hairs affects your spirituality. I can participate in a civil academic debate on the subject. Guru Gobind Singh added the Bani of his father in to AGGS and have enough time to add another page 1431 on hairs etc if he wanted to make these mandatory.

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

It is really a fine thing when 2, 3 or more Gursikhs can come to different conclusions about keeping hair per Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and can do it without animosity -- as our One Creator who is without animosity and sets the tone for all of his children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM