• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Query About Jhatka Meat By Shooting In Head

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Admin Ji
Not to be contentious me being a sinner I don't read Srm much, that would be like trying to educate pork.I did not realise it did not actually prescribe jhatka, but if it says don't eat halal ,by law of deduction it means slaughtered in the opposite way.

I don't think so. Imagine feeding 25 million Sikhs minus vegetarians worldwide by jatkha. Expensive because it is inefficient. High overhead for butchers.

On a more serious note: If one understands how the halal slaughter is carried out, how it is prescribed, then almost any other method would qualify as "not slaughtered in the muslim way."

Any male may conduct the slaughter. There is no requirement of a clean or finely sharpened knife. With each animal killed the invocation "Allah Akhbar" is given. In modern practice, the abatoirs recently used for kosher slaughter may be preferred or not. Allah Akhbar is the central feature.

The argument gets waylaid by the assumption that "animal suffering" is to be avoided. I don't know if that was what was on your mind orn ot. Actually it is the "ritual" of halal that was to be avoided. Much like the SRM states that Sikhs should not worship at musim graves.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ambarsaria ji

You have it spot on!

If SRM was to be made totally unambiguous in a legal way, it will be probably bigger than Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. SRM does assume that people should know it is not a replacement for the intellect of a Gurbani reading Gursikh with common sense.

The idea the less is more escapes more of us in each generation. Amazing to me how so many add and complicate by layering more requirements as per their understanding instead of stripping back to the essentials.

P/s I appreciate the way you added the additional notes. showing just how unfettered by legalisms SRM actually is.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Ambarsaria Ji ,Veera once one learns something it is hard to unlearn it, I wish you had not informed me of what they actually were ,as I was going to plead ignorance to God, now it's all messed up!Because those are all the things I do, apart from affair with men and smoking but I have been accused of doing them too!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Spot ON. When we are told...SIKHS are NOT allowed to consume HALLAL. PERIOD.
Then come the questions...no hallal then what ?? the obvious choice is Jhatka as thats what COMMON among Non_muslims in India....
EVEN IF "hallal" was suddenly proven to be the Most Humane, most kind way to kill, the most painless way, no sufferingetc etc blah blah blah...The BAN ON "HALLAL" would still REMAIN for SIKHS..simply becasue all those "reasons" dont factor IN at all. Hallal is Banned becasue its Hallal...period.
And by the way..eating hallal doesnt make you a muslim just as drinking blood wont make you "bloodthirsty"....and eating "Jhatka" wont make you "any MORE" sikh than another....it doesnt work that way...SIKHI has to be GURBANI IN PRACTISE !!!:happysingh:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Gyani Ji

Thankyou for your comments.I undertand there is a requirement not to eat hallal, I just thought it was principly derived from the rejection of the imposition that was prevalent at a particular time in our history.(sorry to repeat what I said on the other thread and no contention to you Giani Ji.I'm not sure about the drinking blood bit as dracula did get a taste for it.But I will try it for a while and report back to SPN, any donations of blood will be welcomed lol

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM