• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi SPN - Vocabulary And More

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Great thread: back to horses: ghoraa is singular masculine
now is horses: ghorae ? (sorry keyboard problems can't type in gurmukhi yet. I need phonetic keyboard..or a picture to find all the keys)

that blue arabian is magnificent. Dal ji, Aad ji do you know the name of Guru Gobind Singh 's horse?

futurekaur ji

Unfortunately the online translator that is posted earlier in the thread has gone offline -- I am thinking that the authors let their web domain expire. This happened 2 days ago. That translator gave the masculine, feminine, and plural of very word, as well as transliterations. It also had an Urdu translator which was important. No other translator is around that is that good. :inca:

Here it is back http://www.ijunoon.com/

Dalsingh ji

The horse pictures are magnificent. Truly amazing stories to go with them. They are something to go back to many times. :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Dal ji;
wonderful posts about horses and the khalsa! I love these stories so much. Here is my contribution.
ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਦਾਸ ਸਿਉ ਸਾਕਤ ਨਹੀ ਸੰਗੁ
Har kė ḏās si­o sākaṯ nahī sang.
The Lord's servant does not associate with the faithless cynic.
ਓਹੁ ਬਿਖਈ ਓਸੁ ਰਾਮ ਕੋ ਰੰਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

Oh bikẖ­ī os rām ko rang. ||1|| rahā­o.
One is in the clutches of vice, while the other is in love with the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਮਨ ਅਸਵਾਰ ਜੈਸੇ ਤੁਰੀ ਸੀਗਾਰੀ

Man asvār jaisė ṯurī sīgārī.
It would be like an imaginary rider on a decorated horse,
p.198
what a wonderful image.....
I will never forget Neela: nIlw
Punjabi for dark blue, is the name of Guru Gobind Singh's horse.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
camels can be very very vindictive...as a child of perhaps three... i had a nasty habit of irritating our family camel with a slim stick that i would poke at his nose while keeping just out of his reach..well one fine day i was left sleeping on a manja in the vehra (courtyard) while everyone went out to the fields or somewhere... the camel saw his chance...somehow he broke his rope and came over to SIT on me....luckily the Manja collapsed under his weight and i was safe in a small triangle formed by the broken bahian ( side beams of a manja). When my grandma returned and saw the camel she raised the alarm and all the neighbours came to beat the camel...but he stayed put and refused to move..until the beatings became too severe or he was satisfied his tormentor was dead...then he wa dragged away and i came out unharmed...when the camel,saw me ok..he went crazy once more and began to scream loudly and try to break free...next day he was sold off. OF Course i kept my secret to myself...when everybody would shake their heads and say crazy BOTA (Malwaii word for ooth )..i would say i was lucky the manja broke...now wehn i think back..i wonder who was the real crazy..me or the bota >>

Gyani jarnail Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

OMG -- If my father were alive today not only would he be ROFL but he would be pestering you for more details. Just to hear over and over again how awful camels can be. He could not stand them.

But you see how smart they are? What does Guruji say about the camel-like mind ? O clever camel-lie mind, O my beautiful camel-like mind, at least 25 different ways. Guruji admits how smart camles are AND how much trouble that camel-mind can cause.

This story is one to remember. But why did you do that to that animal?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
All jios

The English-Punjabi online translation dictionary that I like so much was off-line for a few days. But it is back with a new and better format. This online resource is a good one because it gives masculine and feminine forms.uses transliteration, provides translations for words that go beyond one or two possibilities, and shows how a word can change depending on how it is used.

Here is the new url
iJunoon.com | Internet Junoon | Urdu, Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi and Balochi Dictioanry

The ijunoon site also has an Urdu translator, and 3 other languages too! What else can a person ask for?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks Aad Ji, just bookmarked it. Works well with single words.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

On the same site, in the Urdu section, you can type in phrases and get translations. Why not punjabi, I do not know.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Hi guys. Thought I'd get the thread going again. I found this shabad which is very rich in animal imagery. What shall we pick next?

ਤੰਤ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸਭ ਅਉਖਧ ਜਾਨਹਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਤਊ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥
thanth manthr sabh aoukhadhh jaanehi anth thoo maranaa ||2||
those who know Tantras and mantras and all medicines - even they shall die in the end. ||2||

ਰਾਜ ਭੋਗ ਅਰੁ ਛਤ੍ਰ ਸਿੰਘਾਸਨ ਬਹੁ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਰਮਨਾ ॥
raaj bhog ar shhathr singhaasan bahu sundhar ramanaa ||
Those who enjoy regal power and rule, royal canopies and thrones, many beautiful women,

ਪਾਨ ਕਪੂਰ ਸੁਬਾਸਕ ਚੰਦਨ ਅੰਤਿ ਤਊ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੩॥
paan kapoor subaasak chandhan anth thoo maranaa ||3||
betel nuts, camphor and fragrant sandalwood oil - in the end, they too shall die. ||3||

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਭ ਖੋਜੇ ਕਹੂ ਨ ਊਬਰਨਾ ॥
baedh puraan sinmrith sabh khojae kehoo n oobaranaa ||
I have searched all the Vedas, Puraanas and Simritees, but none of these can save anyone.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਉ ਰਾਮਹਿ ਜੰਪਉ ਮੇਟਿ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੪॥੫॥
kahu kabeer eio raamehi janpo maett janam maranaa ||4||5||
Says Kabeer, meditate on the Lord, and eliminate birth and death. ||4||5||

ਆਸਾ ॥
aasaa ||

ਫੀਲੁ ਰਬਾਬੀ ਬਲਦੁ ਪਖਾਵਜ ਕਊਆ ਤਾਲ ਬਜਾਵੈ ॥
feel rabaabee baladh pakhaavaj kooaa thaal bajaavai ||
The elephant is the guitar player, the ox is the drummer, and the crow plays the cymbals.

ਪਹਿਰਿ ਚੋਲਨਾ ਗਦਹਾ ਨਾਚੈ ਭੈਸਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
pehir cholanaa gadhehaa naachai bhaisaa bhagath karaavai ||1||
Putting on the skirt, the donkey dances around, and the water buffalo performs devotional worship. ||1||

ਰਾਜਾ ਰਾਮ ਕਕਰੀਆ ਬਰੇ ਪਕਾਏ ॥
raajaa raam kakareeaa barae pakaaeae ||
The Lord, the King, has cooked the cakes of ice,

ਕਿਨੈ ਬੂਝਨਹਾਰੈ ਖਾਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
kinai boojhanehaarai khaaeae ||1|| rehaao ||
but only the rare man of understanding eats them. ||1||Pause||

ਬੈਠਿ ਸਿੰਘੁ ਘਰਿ ਪਾਨ ਲਗਾਵੈ ਘੀਸ ਗਲਉਰੇ ਲਿਆਵੈ ॥
baith singh ghar paan lagaavai ghees galourae liaavai ||
Sitting in his den, the lion prepares the betel leaves, and the muskrat brings the betel nuts.

ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਮੁਸਰੀ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਕਛੂਆ ਸੰਖੁ ਬਜਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
ghar ghar musaree mangal gaavehi kashhooaa sankh bajaavai ||2||
Going from house to house, the mouse sings the songs of joy, and the turtle blows on the conch-shell. ||2||

ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ ਬੀਆਹਨ ਚਲਿਆ ਸੁਇਨੇ ਮੰਡਪ ਛਾਏ ॥
bans ko pooth beeaahan chaliaa sueinae manddap shhaaeae ||
The son of the sterile woman goes to get married, and the golden canopy is spread out for him.

ਰੂਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਬੇਧੀ ਸਸੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ ॥੩॥
roop kanniaa sundhar baedhhee sasai singh gun gaaeae ||3||
He marries a beautiful and enticing young woman; the rabbit and the lion sing their praises. ||3||

ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਰੇ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕੀਟੀ ਪਰਬਤੁ ਖਾਇਆ ॥
kehath kabeer sunahu rae santhahu keettee parabath khaaeiaa ||
Says Kabeer, listen, O Saints - the ant has eaten the mountain.

ਕਛੂਆ ਕਹੈ ਅੰਗਾਰ ਭਿ ਲੋਰਉ ਲੂਕੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਨਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੬॥
kashhooaa kehai angaar bh loro lookee sabadh sunaaeiaa ||4||6||
The turtle says, ""I need a burning coal, also."" Listen to this mystery of the Shabad. ||4||6||

ਆਸਾ ॥
aasaa ||
Aasaa:
ਬਟੂਆ ਏਕੁ ਬਹਤਰਿ ਆਧਾਰੀ ਏਕੋ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਦੁਆਰਾ ॥
battooaa eaek behathar aadhhaaree eaeko jisehi dhuaaraa ||
The body is a bag with seventy-two chambers, and one opening, the Tenth Gate.

ਨਵੈ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮੀ ਮਾਗੈ ਸੋ ਜੋਗੀ ਜਗਿ ਸਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
navai khandd kee prithhamee maagai so jogee jag saaraa ||1||
He alone is a real Yogi on this earth, who asks for the primal world of the nine regions. ||1||

ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
aisaa jogee no nidhh paavai ||
Such a Yogi obtains the nine treasures.

ਤਲ ਕਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਲੇ ਗਗਨਿ ਚਰਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
thal kaa breham lae gagan charaavai ||1|| rehaao ||
He lifts his soul up from below, to the skies of the Tenth Gate. ||1||Pause||

ਖਿੰਥਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਕਰਿ ਸੂਈ ਸਬਦੁ ਤਾਗਾ ਮਥਿ ਘਾਲੈ ॥
khinthhaa giaan dhhiaan kar sooee sabadh thaagaa mathh ghaalai ||
He makes spiritual wisdom his patched coat, and meditation his needle. He twists the thread of the Word of the Shabad.

ਪੰਚ ਤਤੁ ਕੀ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਰਗਾਣੀ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਾਲੈ ॥੨॥
panch thath kee kar miragaanee gur kai maarag chaalai ||2||
Making the five elements his deer skin to sit on, he walks on the Guru's Path. ||2||

ਦਇਆ ਫਾਹੁਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਧੂਈ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕੀ ਅਗਨਿ ਜਲਾਵੈ ॥
dhaeiaa faahuree kaaeiaa kar dhhooee dhrisatt kee agan jalaavai ||
He makes compassion his shovel, his body the firewood, and he kindles the fire of divine vision.

ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਭਾਉ ਲਏ ਰਿਦ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗ ਤਾੜੀ ਲਾਵੈ ॥੩॥
this kaa bhaao leae ridh anthar chahu jug thaarree laavai ||3||
He places love within his heart, and he remains in deep meditation throughout the four ages. ||3||

ਸਭ ਜੋਗਤਣ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨਾ ॥
sabh jogathan raam naam hai jis kaa pindd paraanaa ||
All Yoga is in the Name of the Lord; the body and the breath of life belong to Him.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੈ ਦੇਇ ਸਚਾ ਨੀਸਾਨਾ ॥੪॥੭॥
kahu kabeer jae kirapaa dhhaarai dhaee sachaa neesaanaa ||4||7||
Says Kabeer, if God grants His Grace, He bestows the insignia of Truth. ||4||7||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

You are the thread hero!

We need to take a look at the mouse and the water buffalo. I had pics before my hard drive crashed. There are good pictures of singhs in the albums section. You can get one from there if you like one of them. Earlier cats and dogs were also mentioned. So there is a lot to pic from. Why not the water buffalo. The buffalo is a very important animal, then and now, in the history and culture of the Punjab.

At some point insects also need to be included. The vaaks about bees are heavenly.

Thanks for the jump start on the thread. I have been in semi-retirement.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aasaa: The elephant is the guitar player, the ox is the drummer, and the crow plays the cymbals. Putting on the skirt, the donkey dances around, and the water buffalo performs devotional worship. ||1||
ਆਸਾ। ਹਾਥੀ ਸਤਾਰ ਵਜਾਉਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਬਲ੍ਹਦ ਜੋੜੀ ਵਜਾਉਣ ਵਾਲਾ। ਕਾਂ ਕੈਸੀਆਂ ਵਜਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਚੋਲਾ ਪਹਿਨ ਕੇ ਖੋਤਾ ਨੱਚਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਮੈਹਾਂ ਉਪਾਸ਼ਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਮਨ ਜੋ (ਫੀਲੁ) ਹਸਤੀ ਵਤ ਥਾ ਸੋ (ਰਬਾਬੀ) ਰਬ ਕੀ ਅਬ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਅਰਥਾਤ ਤਰਾਵਤ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ (ਬਲਦੁ) ਆਲਸ ਭੀ ਪਰਮੇਸ੍ਵਰ ਕੇ (ਪਖਾਵਜੁ) ਪਖ੍ਯ ਮੇਂ ਆਬਜਾ ਹੈ ਕਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਹੈ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਯੁਕਤ ਮਨ ਰੂਪ ਕਊਆ ਖ੍ਯਮਾ ਵਾਲ ਹੋ ਕਰ ਪਰਮੇਸ੍ਵਰ ਨਾਮੋ ਚਾਰਨ ਰੂਪ ਤਾਲ ਬਜਾਉਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਾਮ ਯੁਕਤ ਮਨ ਰੂਪ ਜੋ ਗਧਾ ਥਾ ਸੋ ਲੱਜਾ ਰੂਪ ਚੋਲਨਾ ਪਹਿਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਪਰਮੇਸ੍ਵਰ ਕੇ ਨਿਰਨੇ ਰੂਪ ਨਿਰਤ ਕਰਤਾ ਹੈ (ਭੈਸਾ) ਲੋਭ ਯੁਕਤ ਭਗਤੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਹੈ ਔਰੋਂ ਸੇ ਭੀ ਕਰਾਵਤਾ ਹੈ ਅਰਥਾਤ ਅਬ ਮਨ ਕੋ ਭਗਤੀ ਕਾ ਲੋਭ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ॥੧॥

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aasaa: The elephant is the guitar player, the ox is the drummer, and the crow plays the cymbals. Putting on the skirt, the donkey dances around, and the water buffalo performs devotional worship. ||1||
ਆਸਾ। ਹਾਥੀ ਸਤਾਰ ਵਜਾਉਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਬਲ੍ਹਦ ਜੋੜੀ ਵਜਾਉਣ ਵਾਲਾ। ਕਾਂ ਕੈਸੀਆਂ ਵਜਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਚੋਲਾ ਪਹਿਨ ਕੇ ਖੋਤਾ ਨੱਚਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਮੈਹਾਂ ਉਪਾਸ਼ਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਫੀਲੁ = ਹਾਥੀ। ਪਖਾਵਜ = ਜੋੜੀ ਵਜਾਣ ਵਾਲਾ। ਕਊਆ = ਕਾਂ।੧।

(ਮਨ ਦਾ) ਹਾਥੀ (ਵਾਲਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ) ਰਬਾਬੀ (ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ), ਬਲਦ (ਵਾਲਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ) ਜੋੜੀ ਵਜਾਣ ਵਾਲਾ (ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ) ਅਤੇ ਕਾਂ (ਵਾਲਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ) ਤਾਲ ਵਜਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਖੋਤਾ (-ਖੋਤੇ ਵਾਲਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ) (ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਰੂਪੀ) ਚੋਲਾ ਪਾ ਕੇ ਨੱਚ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਭੈਂਸਾ (ਭਾਵ, ਭੈਂਸੇ ਵਾਲਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ) ਭਗਤੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।੧। ❁ ਭਾਵ: ਸੁਭਾਉ ਬਦਲਣ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਮਨ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ, ਆਲਸ, ਚਤੁਰਾਈ, ਕਾਮ ਅਤੇ ਅਮੋੜਪੁਨਾ-ਇਹਨਾਂ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਅਧੀਨ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਸੀ। ਪਰ, ਜਦੋਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਰਸ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ, ਤਾਂ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਵਿਚ ਭਿੱਜ ਕੇ ਮਨ ਇਸ ਨਵੇਂ ਵਿਆਹ ਵਿਚ ਉੱਦਮ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਸਹਾਈ ਬਣਦਾ ਹੈ।੧।

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
This animated description by Bhagat Kabeer Ji explains the ever changing phases of the human mind. First it performs the outer acts of dance, sometimes as a drummer, a guitar player, conductor, and such acts almost become a ritual until such a time that the mind begins to search within and finds true bhakti.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Thanks for all the comments. Namjap, that steek was handy. Guys we can now also add "feel" to our vocabulary for elephant!

Aad. Yes the water buffalo was very important. In fact I remember my family owning some when I was a child (for milk). One was a very mean mujh who would get aggressive if anyone went near her shed. My heart would pound in fear when it huffed and puffed anytime I went near it! The only person it feared was my maternal grandma (and not without reason!) My distant memories also recall her baby buffalo (called a jhotti) which was the sweetest natured creature I have ever met and was my friend.

Ahh... a sweeter and more innocent time.

2. Page481 Line 14 Raag Aasaa: Saint Kabir
ਘੋਰੈ ਚਰਿ ਭੈਸ ਚਰਾਵਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
ghorai char bhais charaavan jaaee ||
Riding a horse, the buffalo takes him out to graze.

Fareed uses a form closer to the mujh that I am used to.

Page1379 Line 6 Raag Salok: Sekh Farid

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਸਕਰ ਖੰਡੁ ਨਿਵਾਤ ਗੁੜੁ ਮਾਖਿਓ*ੁ ਮਾਂਝਾ ਦੁਧੁ ॥
fareedhaa sakar khandd nivaath gurr maakhio maanjhaa dhudhh ||
Fareed: sugar cane, candy, sugar, molasses, honey and buffalo's milk

----------
Yes, Dal ji you are the thread virji:)
okay, here is water buffalo
1. bhaisaa, .2 mahii, 3. sajha
BYNsw,
mhIN, mJ
-----
Future Kaur - That last one in Panjabi is mujh not sajha?

I checked that translator Antonia gave us and mujh refers to a female water buffalo.

BTW: This thread is made of our combined efforts! If anyone should get credit its Aad. Guys I also realised just how rich the SGGS is in respect of references to God's creatures. I think we really need to collect the information in the form of tables at some time.

Attachments

• buffalo3.JPG
    buffalo3.JPG
    37.2 KB · Reads: 347
  • 025_Buffalo-Group-Portrait.jpg
    025_Buffalo-Group-Portrait.jpg
    39.5 KB · Reads: 423

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsing ji

Ravidas prayed to Waheguru for a milch buffalo! When I was little and visited my uncle's farm in the state of Illinois I sat near the buffalo pen and made mooing noises. My uncle caught me and had a fit, because all he needed was a buffalo stampede. I was 5 and didn't realize how forceful they are when they want to be.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsing hi

Ravidsa prayed to Waheguru for a milch buffalo! When I was little and visited my uncle's farm in the sate of Illinois I sat near the buffalo pen and made mooing noises. My uncle caught me and had a fit, because all he needed was a buffalo stampede. I was 5 and didn't realize how forceful they are when they want to be.

Yes they can be mean ***'d when they want.......lol

They can also be quite clever. Apparently the family owned one that would go for "walkies" every day (God knows where) but always arrive home at EXACTLY the same time everyday.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

This is not about buffalo, per se, but about "walkies." I never knew the origin of the term cattle round-up which is a concept truly deep in the American psyche -- Cowboys and their horses rounding up cattle for the cattle-drive. Well in Arizona aboaut 4 years ago I finally discovered why a "round up." The cattle there are Black Angus. And people who own them do not keep them in pens. These cattle also do not hang out naturally in herds like well-behaved Jersey and Guernsey cattle which came from Europe. The Black Angus stroll all over the place along country roads (really desert roads) in Arizona. You will be driving along, and suddenly see a black face with short white horns staring at you from behind a cactus or some low growing shrub. Maybe you will see one on one side of the road and one or two on the other side. So don't get out of your car!

Moral of the story -- the cowboys had to ride all over the desert and scrub-lands rounding them up -- cattle round-up.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsingh ji

This is not about buffalo, per se, but about "walkies." I never knew the origin of the term cattle round-up which is a concept truly deep in the American psyche -- Cowboys and their horses rounding up cattle for the cattle-drive. Well in Arizona aboaut 4 years ago I finally discovered why a "round up." The cattle there are Black Angus. And people who own them do not keep them in pens. These cattle also do not hang out naturally in herds like well-behaved Jersey and Guernsey cattle which came from Europe. The Black Angus stroll all over the place along country roads (really desert roads) in Arizona. You will be driving along, and suddenly see a black face with short white horns staring at you from behind a cactus or some low growing shrub. Maybe you will see one on one side of the road and one or two on the other side. So don't get out of your car!

Moral of the story -- the cowboys had to ride all over the desert and scrub-lands rounding them up -- cattle round-up.

My mistake, it was actually a cow that was punctual about getting home on time, not a buffalo. Buffalo are too expensive to let loose like that. Lots of rustlers about!

Yee haa!

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Dal ji; oops, sorry about that mistake; it's mujh. Late at night I confused my 'm's with 's'' ;-)
3 years ago I lived in Ireland; they have many milch cows; one night the cows were going home from the fields down the narrow lane (a boreen) and my very American father aghast said 'it's a stampede!'
heheh, we laughed ourselves silly.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dal ji; oops, sorry about that mistake; it's mujh. Late at night I confused my 'm's with 's'' ;-)
3 years ago I lived in Ireland; they have many milch cows; one night the cows were going home from the fields down the narrow lane (a boreen) and my very American father aghast said 'it's a stampede!'
heheh, we laughed ourselves silly.

But they were dreaming about a stampede!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM