• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi SPN - Vocabulary And More

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
How you stick the pictures in Aad? I think it is better to save them to your hard drive and then "attach" them to your post using the paperclip icon. Maybe you do this already?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

I have an iMAC and copy and paste works completely differently. There is no right-click for example on a iMAC mouse. The problem is that the pic's go into the frame and when i logged off last night they were still there. They then disappear the next day. It is almost as if someone is taking them out. But of course that is not it. Methinks the forum software is somehow clearing out code and that is why it is happening. I will try again. This time I will do it using a Windows machine at work. Thanks.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Just compliment to the contributors, this thread has become very informatory; many words I look into dictionary are here, easy to use if situation comes. Many thanks.:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

I think so. We could do more with singhs and shers and cheethhaara -- which are all now mixed up. But using video clips is a media we have not employed except for the camel driver link a while back. Also I think the thread needs more work for cows and for sheep because both are so embedded into the history and culture of Punjab. Wonder if there are video clips for those two animals.

cow from the ijoonon dictionary

n. gar. F; gan. F; gai. F; 1. A cow not yet calved. Wahr. F; wachchi. F; 2. A milch cow. Laweri. F; 3. A cow that gives rich milk gheuli. F; gheul. F; ghial. F; 4. A cow that kicks. Chharili. F;
ZW, F`gI

sheep bhed. F; bheri.f ; fat tailed sheep. Dumba. M;

Byf

heh heh

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dal ji

Also a newly discovered trick for learning Gurmukhi letters.

1. Turn on any Gurbani font as the default font -- say Ammo Lipi. Like so (like so),

Then type an English word using the usual Roman alphabet. I am going to type two English words using Ammo Lipi below.

cat ......................................... c + a + t The vowel sound in the middle is off a bit here.

dog
...................................................... do+ g

Highlight the words and then change the font to Arial or any other English/Roman font and you will what I typed.

It works very well for consonants. The vowels will be off a bit, but you can still remember them using this approach by making a mental adjustment.

If you keep repeating this process, it is possible to learn the Gurmukhi characters quickly. Character recognition drill is what i call it. A person can make up a lot of games doing this.:ice:

---------------------------

The answer is cat dog

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsing ji,

"Si" et "Non"

I know a lot of them now. But because I started with the "whole word" approach, I know more words by sight than alphabets. But then of course there are more words than there are alphabets. :rofl: You are a language teacher, so you know the pro's and con's of the sight word method.:)

Just home from work so I am a little giddy. It won't be long nooooooow!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM