• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi SPN - Vocabulary And More

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
3. Page549 Line 13
ਬਾਘ ਬੁਕਾਰ ਫਨੀਨ ਫੁਕਾਰ ਸੁ ਸੀਸ ਗਿਰੋ ਪਰ ਸੀ ਨ ਕਹੋਂਗੀ ॥
Baagh bukaar phaneen phukaar su sees giro par sina kahon-gee||
”If the tigers and serpents fall on my head, even then I shall not utter ‘oh’ or ‘alas’.

from Dasam Granth

Modern Punjabi
n. bagh. M; sher. M;
http://www.ijunoon.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Another variation

ਸੀਚਾਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਪੰਖੀਆ ਜਾਲੀ ਬਧਿਕ ਹਾਥਿ ॥
सीचाने जिउ पंखीआ जाली बधिक हाथि ॥
Sīcẖānė ji*o pankẖī*ā jālī baḏẖik hāth.
Think of the hawk preying on the birds, and the net in the hands of the hunter.
Guru Nanak Dev

I'm not sure what has been translated as hawk, probably ਪੰਖੀਆ. Incidentally ਪੰਖ means wing or feather.[SIZE=-1]http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=55&L=10&id=2241[/SIZE]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Another variation

ਸੀਚਾਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਪੰਖੀਆ ਜਾਲੀ ਬਧਿਕ ਹਾਥਿ ॥
सीचाने जिउ पंखीआ जाली बधिक हाथि ॥
Sīcẖānė ji*o pankẖī*ā jālī baḏẖik hāth.
Think of the hawk preying on the birds, and the net in the hands of the hunter.
Guru Nanak Dev

I'm not sure what has been translated as hawk, probably ਪੰਖੀਆ. Incidentally ਪੰਖ means wing or feather.

Dalsing ji

Yes I looked at this earlier and thought it was confusing. What may be true about this is that the translator made an inference that it was some kind of hawk or falcon and substituted that idea. Why? Perhaps because hawks/falcons are birds of prey who are quick and stealthy like a hunter who uses a net. An equation of images.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
We admire the tiger and are enchanted by the deer. But deep down inside we have been waiting for HER
Snake_dsc4084_coby.jpg

Modern Punjabi n. sapp. M; nag. M; sarp. M;

In Gurbani t
here are many names, but for now sarapanee or srapanee

Sant Kabir on Ang 480
ਸ੍ਰਪਨੀ ਸ੍ਰਪਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਕਹਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥
srapanee srapanee kiaa kehahu bhaaee ||
O Siblings of Destiny, why is she called a she-
serpent?

ਜਿਨਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਛਾਨਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸ੍ਰਪਨੀ ਖਾਈ ॥੨॥
jin saach pashhaaniaa thin srapanee khaaee ||2||
One who realizes the True Lord, devours the she-
serpent. ||2||

ਸ੍ਰਪਨੀ ਤੇ ਆਨ ਛੂਛ ਨਹੀ ਅਵਰਾ ॥
srapanee thae aan shhooshh nehee avaraa ||
No one else is more frivolous than this she-
serpent.

ਸ੍ਰਪਨੀ ਜੀਤੀ ਕਹਾ ਕਰੈ ਜਮਰਾ ॥੩॥
srapanee
jeethee kehaa karai jamaraa ||3||
When the she-
serpent is overcome, what can the Messengers of the King of Death do? ||3||
400px-Mpitv.jpg

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsing ji

Yes I looked at this earlier and thought it was confusing. What may be true about this is that the translator made an inference that it was some kind of hawk or falcon and substituted that idea. Why? Perhaps because hawks/falcons are birds of prey who are quick and stealthy like a hunter who uses a net. An equation of images.

Maybe "bird" should be substituted?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

Only my hypothesis, but I think the metaphor is this:

The hawk snatches birds by stealth; as the hunter does with a net

So Hawk is related to hunter in the similarity of their approach.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦਰੀਆਵੈ ਕੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਬੈਠਾ ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇ
फरीदा दरीआवै कंन्है बगुला बैठा केल करे ॥
Farīḏā ḏarī*āvai kanĥai bagulā baiṯẖā kėl karė.
Fareed, the crane perches on the river bank, playing joyfully.

ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇਦੇ ਹੰਝ ਨੋ ਅਚਿੰਤੇ ਬਾਜ ਪਏ
केल करेदे हंझ नो अचिंते बाज पए ॥
Kėl karėḏė hanjẖ no acẖinṯė bāj pa*ė.
While it is playing, a hawk suddenly pounces on it.

ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਰਬ ਦੇ ਕੇਲਾਂ ਵਿਸਰੀਆਂ
बाज पए तिसु रब दे केलां विसरीआं ॥
Bāj pa*ė ṯis rab ḏė kėlāʼn visrī*āʼn.
When the Hawk of God attacks, playful sport is forgotten.

ਜੋ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਚੇਤੇ ਸਨਿ ਸੋ ਗਾਲੀ ਰਬ ਕੀਆਂ ॥੯੯॥
जो मनि चिति न चेते सनि सो गाली रब कीआं ॥९९॥
Jo man cẖiṯ na cẖėṯė san so gālī rab kī*āʼn. ||99||
God does what is not expected or even considered. ||99||

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsing ji

You may be right. I couldn't figure it out myself.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Seeing as we have dispensed with keeping to the baj family. I'm adding this from the Dasam Granth:

ਤਹ ਕੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਘਨੇ ਚੁਨਿ ਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਰੋਝ ਰੀਛ ਬਹੁ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਬਿਦਾਰੇ ॥
तह के सिंघ घने चुनि मारे ॥ रोझ रीछ बहु भांति बिदारे ॥
There I killed may lions, nilgais and bears.

ਭਾਂਤਿ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਬਨਿ ਖੇਲ ਸਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਮਾਰੇ ਰੀਛ ਰੋਝ ਝੰਖਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
भांति भांति बनि खेल सिकारा ॥ मारे रीछ रोझ झंखारा ॥१॥
I went hunting various kinds of animals in the forest and killed bears, nilgais (blue bulls) and elks.1.

I looked up ਰੋਝ in my dictionary and it said a "wild hybrid between a cow and a horse" - which seems plain crazy to me!

The word for bear is still similar to modern Panjabi. It may be closer to the Hindi version.

Interestingly none of these words are in Guru ji. Is this an indication that the language used in the Dasam Granth is significantly different to that in SGGS? Maybe I shouldn't use it for the current exercise?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seeing as we have dispensed with keeping to the baj family. I'm adding this from the Dasam Granth:

ਤਹ ਕੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਘਨੇ ਚੁਨਿ ਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਰੋਝ ਰੀਛ ਬਹੁ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਬਿਦਾਰੇ ॥
तह के सिंघ घने चुनि मारे ॥ रोझ रीछ बहु भांति बिदारे ॥
There I killed may lions, nilgais and bears.

ਭਾਂਤਿ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਬਨਿ ਖੇਲ ਸਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਮਾਰੇ ਰੀਛ ਰੋਝ ਝੰਖਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
भांति भांति बनि खेल सिकारा ॥ मारे रीछ रोझ झंखारा ॥१॥
I went hunting various kinds of animals in the forest and killed bears, nilgais (blue bulls) and elks.1.

I looked up ਰੋਝ in my dictionary and it said a "wild hybrid between a cow and a horse" - which seems plain crazy to me!

The word for bear is still similar to modern Panjabi. It may be closer to the Hindi version.

Interestingly none of these words are in Guru ji. Is this an indication that the language used in the Dasam Granth is significantly different to that in SGGS? Maybe I shouldn't use it for the current exercise?

I am sure that there is at least one astute forum member who can clear up the confusion. Sometimes the person who explains the translation is off the mark and throws people into a tizzy for years. When I have some time later tonight, I will try to track down a possible answer.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I am sure that there is at least one astute forum member who can clear up the confusion. Sometimes the person who explains the translation is off the mark and throws people into a tizzy for years. When I have some time later tonight, I will try to track down a possible answer.

In the meanwhile I think I'll concentrate on Guruji and Bhai Gurdas's vaars more for my language development.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsingh ji

Are you dropping out of the thread?

No, no, no!

I was thinking out loud. Was just saying that I should use Guru Ji and Bhai Gurdas's vaars to reference words for our learning exercises more than Dasam Granth because the language in DG seems very different to Panjabi. I should have guessed anyway. To my knowledge the only Panjabi compositions in DG are the very short one starting "Mittar piaray nu" and Chandhi Di Vaar.

You don't get rid of me that easily! ha ha!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Oh that is good to hear. Well Dasam Granth has more Persian and Urdu in it because of the passage of time. The language changed.

I always try to stick to Sri Guru Granth Sahib because I can only tackle one granth at a time. Later maybe.

But it is good to peep in Dasam Granth for examples just because the vocabulary adds to the richness of the experience. Some of the animals only appear there. And sometimes there are really good finds -- for example, crocodile, and verses about crocodile, that are really amazing poetic imagery.

But so glad that you are not leaving. Nearly had a heart attack.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Crocodile - Native to the Indian subcontinent, this is the marsh crocodile or "mugger." The third verse from Guru Nanak Dev calls him "magaaramashh." In modern Punjabi, one name for crocodile is "magar machh." Very interesting.

Modern Punjabi
n. sanar. M; magar machh. M; http://www.ijunoon.com/

From Sri Guru Granth Sahib

1. Page632 Line 6 Raag Sorith: Guru Teg Bahadur

ਜਬ ਹੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਗਹੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਗਜ ਗਰਾਹ ਤੇ ਛੂਟਾ ॥
jab hee saran gehee kirapaa nidhh gaj garaah thae shhoottaa ||
As soon as the elephant took to the protective Sanctuary of the Lord, the ocean of mercy, he escaped from the crocodile.

2. Page982 Line 5 Raag Nat: Guru Ram Das

ਜਿਉ ਕੁੰਚਰੁ ਤਦੂਐ ਪਕਰਿ ਚਲਾਇਓ ਕਰਿ ਊਪਰੁ ਕਢਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
jio kunchar thadhooai pakar chalaaeiou kar oopar kadt nisathaarae ||1|| rehaao ||
as He protected the elephant, when the crocodile seized it and pulled it into the water; He lifted him up and pulled him out. ||1||Pause||

3. Page1009 Line 17 Raag Maaroo: Guru Nanak Dev

ਮਾਗਰਮਛੁ ਫਹਾਈਐ ਕੁੰਡੀ ਜਾਲੁ ਵਤਾਇ ॥
maagaramashh fehaaeeai kunddee jaal vathaae ||
The crocodile is caught by the hook and line;

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
indianelephant_1.jpg

Indian elephant

and like the modern Punjabi, From Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Page141 Line 17 Raag Maajh: Guru Ram Das

ਤਾਜੀ ਰਥ ਤੁਖਾਰ ਹਾਥੀ ਪਾਖਰੇ ॥ਬਾਗ ਮਿਲਖ ਘਰ ਬਾਰ ਕਿਥੈ ਸਿ ਆਪਣੇ ॥ਤੰਬੂ ਪਲੰਘ ਨਿਵਾਰ ਸਰਾਇਚੇ ਲਾਲਤੀ ॥
thaajee rathh thukhaar haathhee paakharae || baag milakh ghar baar kithhai s aapanae || thanboo palangh nivaar saraaeichae laalathee ||
The horses, chariots, camels and elephants, with all their decorations; the gardens, lands, houses, tents, soft beds and satin pavilions-Oh, where are those things, which they believe to be their own?

Modern Punjabi
n. hathi. M; hathni. F;
http://www.ijunoon.com/

20080316_7.jpg

This picture captures the scene painted by Guru Ram Das in his poetry. It is entitled "Royal Procession at Lahore." And, we have two more animals in Gurbani -- horses and camels.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: