• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi SPN - Vocabulary And More

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes, Dalsingh ji

There have been many mishaps... I cannot move the vocabulary related threads over here. And last night the new thread ended up in the deleted posts section where I was not able to rescue it. Aman ji got it up and running this morning, but then something else happened that I don 't understand. Eventually it will get st straightened out. You can use this thread to get it back in play.

Here is a tough question. Gurbani uses many different types of birds in reference to the English translation "songbird." Notably Gurbani uses "chatthrik" and "saaring" -- The chatthriks are the family of quail, partaridge, cuckoos, mockingbirds. pheasant, pea{censored}s.

But what is the baabeehaa? Also translated as "songbird." But who exactly is babeehaa?;)

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Here is a tough question. Gurbani uses many different types of birds in reference to the English translation "songbird." Notably Gurbani uses "chatthrik" and "saaring" -- The chatthriks are the family of quail, partaridge, cuckoos, mockingbirds. pheasant, pea{censored}s.

But what is the baabeehaa? Also translated as "songbird." But who exactly is babeehaa?;)

Give me the Panjabi spellings if possible. I've realised my readings of transliterations are very often way off!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Babeeha Peau Peau Karey (Details)

Click on Details to open audio file.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

[SIZE=-1]I think babeeha may be the pied cuckoo? Apparently this bird makes a long shrill noise at night. It has also been called the monsoon bird because it [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is said to warn of the coming rainy season.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary[/SIZE] P. n. Name of a bird who drinks raindrops and whose voice is heard in rainy season, the pied cuckoo
SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dal Singh Ji,

Now we need to understand the terms with the pics. I see Aad Ji has posted Birds of Gurbani in the All Albums category.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Apparently ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕ also refers to the same "rain bird" or pied cuckoo.

You know its a shame that no website (I have come across) gives pictures and the native names of Indian birds. Although some do exist which give images and English/Latin names.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Page 323, Line 16
ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਜੁ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਨੀ ॥
कहि कबीर भजु सारिंगपानी ॥
Kahi Kabīr bẖaj saringpānī.
Says Kabeer, meditate and vibrate upon the Lord, like the rainbird remembering the water.
Devotee Kabir

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
[SIZE=-1]I think babeeha may be the pied cuckoo? Apparently this bird makes a long shrill noise at night. It has also been called the monsoon bird because it [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is said to warn of the coming rainy season.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary[/SIZE] P. n. Name of a bird who drinks raindrops and whose voice is heard in rainy season, the pied cuckoo
SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

If there is a web site that gives the Indian names, it is a mystery to me. I haven't found one either. The best site for pictures is the Oriental Birds Data Base.

I think you are correct. Now the thing that would settle this would be a forum member from the Haryana area to tell us what babeeha is in the local parlance. And does it match up with this bird.

The pied cuckoo is in All Albums, NamJap ji. You are correct about that. But as a member of the chatthrik family.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Page 323, Line 16
ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਜੁ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਨੀ ॥
कहि कबीर भजु सारिंगपानी ॥
Kahi Kabīr bẖaj saringpānī.
Says Kabeer, meditate and vibrate upon the Lord, like the rainbird remembering the water.
Devotee Kabir

Nam Jap ji -- You just picked up on the term "saaring" which is songbird, and I wonder if it is Persian. "Saring" is not used often in SGGS.

The collection of verses with the names of the birds forces me to learn all the other words in the verse -- so that is why this apparently adolescent activity actually does work for me. Wondering if others are having the same experience?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Nam Jap ji -- You just picked up on the term "saaring" which is songbird, and I wonder if it is Persian. "Saring" is not used often in SGGS.

The collection of verses with the names of the birds forces me to learn all the other words in the verse -- so that is why this apparently adolescent activity actually does work for me. Wondering if others are having the same experience?

My vocab of different bird names is definitely growing!!!!! :)

I found this reference in a bibliography:

Department of Forests, Punjab (1993) Punjabi Names of the Birds of Punjab. Chandigarh.

I think it may help us but wouldn't have a clue on how to get hold of it (presuming it is still available).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am wondering whether the Department of Forestry would respond to an inquiry. The various states have web sites with department links, etc. Worth a try.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Dear AAd ji,

That is the sheer beauty of Gurbani... its tightly woven fabric of poetry..metaphors..vocabulary from different languages/sources/time lines...
its transparent as well as all covering....its sheeny as Korean silk and as vibrant as Malaysian Batik
No serious student of Gurbani can escape the sheer magic of the Voice of the GURU...or just concentrate on limited words....each word has a place in the Zigsaw puzzle that Guru ji has set before us...its so interesting...never simple or boring...God forbid if anyone finds Gurbani "boring"...the he is a parrot just superficially staring at the words/parrottign it out
I just love it when i read comments like the oens you made about Gurbani...restores my confidence that there are serious admirers out there..
Regards
Gyani jarnail Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear AAd ji,

That is the sheer beauty of Gurbani... its tightly woven fabric of poetry..metaphors..vocabulary from different languages/sources/time lines...
its transparent as well as all covering....its sheeny as Korean silk and as vibrant as Malaysian Batik
No serious student of Gurbani can escape the sheer magic of the Voice of the GURU...or just concentrate on limited words....each word has a place in the Zigsaw puzzle that Guru ji has set before us...its so interesting...never simple or boring...God forbid if anyone finds Gurbani "boring"...the he is a parrot just superficially staring at the words/parrottign it out
I just love it when i read comments like the oens you made about Gurbani...restores my confidence that there are serious admirers out there..
Regards
Gyani jarnail Singh

;) We need to relish the beauty of Gurbani and feel better when we do.

And a whole bunch more are now in play -- for example, lamdhing or lamdheeng - which is the name for stork, heron, and crane in modern Punjabi.

But in Gurbani, not so!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Audio Clip from a Movie: Jeta Samund Sagar Neer Bharya (Details) 6 Minutes

ਮਃ
मः १ ॥
Mehlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਕਿਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਿਆ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ
किआ हंसु किआ बगुला जा कउ नदरि करेइ ॥
Ki*ā hans ki*ā bagulā jā ka*o naḏar karė*i.
Which is the swan, and which is the crane? It is only by His Glance of Grace.

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਕਾਗਹੁ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੨॥
जो तिसु भावै नानका कागहु हंसु करेइ ॥२॥
Jo ṯis bẖāvai nānkā kāgahu hans karė*i. ||2||
Whoever is pleasing to Him, O Nanak, is transformed from a crow into a swan. ||2||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
;) And a whole bunch more are now in play -- for example, lamdhing or lamdheeng - which is the name for stork, heron, and crane in modern Punjabi.

But in Gurbani, not so!

Thanks NamJap
- From Gurbani, we have 1 of the three, and 2 review items.

New Crane - Bagula

Review Swan = Hans (Got that one earlier, but no harm to review); Crow = Kagahu

For modern Punjabi equivalents - Use the online Punjabi English Dictionary
http://www.ijunoon.com/

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਹੰਸਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਤਰੰਦਿਆ ਬਗਾ ਆਇਆ ਚਾਉ
हंसा देखि तरंदिआ बगा आइआ चाउ ॥
Hansā ḏėkẖ ṯaranḏi*ā bagā ā*i*ā cẖā*o.
Seeing the swans swimming, the cranes became excited.

ਡੁਬਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਗ ਬਪੁੜੇ ਸਿਰੁ ਤਲਿ ਉਪਰਿ ਪਾਉ ॥੧੨੨॥
डुबि मुए बग बपुड़े सिरु तलि उपरि पाउ ॥१२२॥
Dub mu*ė bag bapuṛė sir ṯal upar pā*o. ||122||
The poor cranes were drowned to death, with their heads below the water and their feet sticking out above. ||122||

ਮੈ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਵਡ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਮੈ ਕੀਤਾ ਸੰਗੁ
मै जाणिआ वड हंसु है तां मै कीता संगु ॥
Mai jāṇi*ā vad hans hai ṯāʼn mai kīṯā sang.
I knew him as a great swan, so I associated with him.

ਜੇ ਜਾਣਾ ਬਗੁ ਬਪੁੜਾ ਜਨਮਿ ਭੇੜੀ ਅੰਗੁ ॥੧੨੩॥
जे जाणा बगु बपुड़ा जनमि न भेड़ी अंगु ॥१२३॥
Jė jāṇā bag bapuṛā janam na bẖėṛī ang. ||123||
If I had known that he was a only wretched crane, I would never in my life have crossed paths with him. ||123||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji, we now need to add the pics to identify which bird we're talking about.

IMHO, without the pics the lesson is not learnt well.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Swan

In Gurbani: Hans

Modern Punjabi: n. hans. M; proverb. Used when a wise man has died and is succeeded by a foolish son. Swans hav die and crows have become "diwans." hansa hansa chal gai kaga bhai diwan;

http://www.ijunoon.com/

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM