• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Prof Darshan Singh Attacked In Asansol

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
The Delhi Gurdwara Management Comittee has INVITED the pro-DG scholars to come and give their views in full Diwans of Gurdwra Sis Gnaj/Bangla Sahib..and the Pro-SGGS scholars will rebut / reply. IMHO such a Dialogue can work at resolving this...

Maybe, if both sides will refrain from getting into a sword fight.

I would especially fear for the lives of the pro-SGGS ji scholars; we have seen how the pro-DG crowd reacts to those who oppose them.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The Delhi Gurdwara Management Comittee has INVITED the pro-DG scholars to come and give their views in full Diwans of Gurdwra Sis Gnaj/Bangla Sahib..and the Pro-SGGS scholars will rebut / reply. IMHO such a Dialogue can work at resolving this...

Gyani ji,

Guru Fateh.

It is a great idea and you have put it in the perfect terminology. There is no such group of people who are anti- DG, but pro- SGGS because SGGS is our only Guru and we know whose poetry is in it. However there is a group of pro-DG who seem to have total disregard for the SGGS are only Guru as bestowed upon us by our Dasam Pita and their claim about the DG being the authourship of our 10th Guru not only insults our Dasam Pita but also the SGGS, our only Guru.

If this plan goes through, I hope both parties especially the pro DG people should leave their egos at the door steps of Gurdwara when they matha tek to the SGGS which is not a mere mechanical ritualistic gesture but a commitment to obey the teaching of our only Guru.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
One comment I simply must add:

The article says:

As soon as prof Darshan Singh reached the venue, a group of people surrounded his car and humiliated him, abusing him for allegedly opposing the Akal Takht.

I must oppose this. As my Dad used to say, "No one can humiliate me without my consent." From what I know of Prof. Darshan, I seriously doubt if he gave his consent. He was not humiliated.

These...people...simply made us all look bad. Prof. Darshan came out looking strong and brave. His attackers came out looking like barbaric savages.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Tej,
This whole violent episode clearly explains, who is blowing the trumpet!! :welcome:

And, regarding this so called "Sri Dasam Granth Prabodh Sabha" formed by so called pro-DG Scholars:

1. When and who formed this committee?
  2. Who are the members of this committee?
  3. What are their educational qualifications?
  4. What is the agenda of this committee?
  5. Without an open agenda, how are so called anti-DG Scholars are supposed to say anything in response to it?
If anybody has any knowledge about this committee then it would be helpful to get more information.

Regards

Aman ji

Any clues yet in reply to your question. I have not found anything.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I at this point have to agree with Tejwant that the debate is no longer pro- or anti Dasam Granth. It is pro-Dasam Granth versus pro-Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Nothing, no rhetoric, can convince me otherwise.

And yes a dialog can work -- But what is the motivation for Lamba, Avtar Singh Makkar, or other movers and shakers to have a dialog. They are not really concerned about the religious/spiritual content. They are looking toward Dasam Pita to give them thumbs-up for a political marriage with Sant Samaj and other co-signers to the saffron agenda. Please forgive me if my words are overly cynical.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I at this point have to agree with Tejwant that the debate is no longer pro- or anti Dasam Granth. It is pro-Dasam Granth versus pro-Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Nothing, no rhetoric, can convince me otherwise.

And yes a dialog can work -- But what is the motivation for Lamba, Avtar Singh Makkar, or other movers and shakers to have a dialog. They are not really concerned about the religious/spiritual content. They are looking toward Dasam Pita to give them thumbs-up for a political marriage with Sant Samaj and other co-signers to the saffron agenda. Please forgive me if my words are overly cynical.

Naryan Ji, Gurfateh.

No you are not cynical and YES I agree that the Bottom Line NOW is SGGS and ONLY SGGS. The Buck stops here. Tejwant Ji is of course right in his observations.

2. SECONDLY what has Emerged from the Prof darshan Singh Episode is yet another conspiracy/agenda of the BOOKSELLERS has been EXPOSED. This is how the BOOKSELLERS /an INDIVIDUAL put together a book called AMRIT KIRTAN POTHI and over a period fo tiem this POTHI became the SOLE Reference of Ragis/kirtaniyas/studnets of kirtan etc etc etc. or DEFACTO book to use when doing kirtan all over the world. The surprsing thing is the author/bookseller was solely responsible for choosing the "shabads" and everyone automatically accepted everything in this POYJI as authentic/SGGS/Gurmatt/SRM friendly. Prof darshan Singh Ji also gave the explanation that he began singing kirtan from this POTHI and as all others accepted everything in this pothi as right and as per gurmatand THATS why he snag those DG compositions in his early years that re so vigorously being promoted on Pathetic sites as proof he changed his mind..etc is a truncoat and traitor blah blah blah. Darshan Singh clarified that he knew no better at that time as he depended on Amrti Kirtan Pothi for his source shabads.

3. Ragis like Harbans Singh who sing KACHI BANI/Kavitas/Poems in KIRTAN STYLE also contribute to this sort of sabotage of SGGS. Anyone who is NOT so familair with what is in SGGS will think any "shabad" sung by a famous kirtaniyah "MUST BE GURBANI"...as such a poem called Sarson ki maala made famous by HS Jagadhreewalleh is a source of much confusion among children/ragis who think its Gurbani when its just a poem.

ALL these SHORTCOMINGS are coming to the Fore and being EXPOSED due to The Information Explosion of the INTERNET....Now just about nayone can do an internet search of SGGS and find out instantly if a shabad is really Gurbani or not. Additionally vast resources such as Mahan kosh etc are available on the Internet...which does help to EDUCATE many.

BKaur

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Prof Darshan Singh attacked in Asansol

In a shocking development, a few people on Tuesday attacked Prof Darshan Singh, former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht, at Asansol in when he reached there for a program.

The Gurmat Prasar Sabha of Asansol had invited Prof Darshan Singh in defiance of a Hukumnama of Akal Takht and incumbent Sikh clergy that had directed the Sikh sangat not to invite the Ragi because of his views against Dasam Granth. Many sections of the Sikh Panth have refused to abide by the edict, calling it as a directive motivated by political vested interests.

The WSN sources said one Bhai Harpal Singh, a nominated SGPC member, was instrumental in garnering support to stop Prof Darshan Singh's program.

As soon as prof Darshan Singh reached the venue, a group of people surrounded his car and humiliated him, abusing him for allegedly opposing the Akal Takht. [/font]

Prof Darshan Singh's associate and private secretary Tejpal Singh was also with the Ragi at the time of the attack.

Only last Sunday, the Hoshiarpur district administration had banned a programme of Prof Darshan Singh at Garhshankar in a move that was widely being seen as direct state interference in Sikh affairs.

The SGPC's incumbent leadership, backed by the brute majority that Parkash Singh Badal's party enjoys in the SGPC general house, is pitted against the forces that are opposing moves to grant scriptural status to Dasam Granth.

Sorry I was away for two weeks and I couldn't reply or check any of the new post.
This is so shamefulness for SGPC to have President like Mr. Makkar who give a statement like that. Prof: Darshan Singh Ji Khalsa is stating on Truth and facing all kind of foolishness from people like Mr Makkar and Jathedar of our holy Akaal Takhat. Jathedar's can be bought but not the Akaal takhat.
So Prof Darshan Singh Ji, The Congrigation of Canada are with you and with the Truth.

SATNAM WAHEGURU:happykaur:

leveler

SPNer
May 26, 2011
Both Makkarrd and Gyani Gurbachan Singh have JUSTIFIED this attack as rightful action by "sangat" to ENFORCE their Hukmanma to Ban the KIRTAN of GURBANI/SGGS...by Prof Darshan Singh Ji...:down:
it is very strange that this act has been termed as rightful action by sangat by some people . i wonder how come handful of gundas represent sikh sangat. this is a misuse of akaltakth. sangat is still inviting darshan singh ji for his religious discourse and kirtan. people can pass Hukmanma.. bt they dont have right to use talbani force to impose it.... today world is against taliban ....tommorrow such talibani sikhs will come under scanner. god will punish people involved in attacking darshan singh ji.... we call our faith as morden ... bt i still feel some segment needs great exposure...

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
it is very strange that this act has been termed as rightful action by sangat by some people . i wonder how come handful of gundas represent sikh sangat. this is a misuse of akaltakth. sangat is still inviting darshan singh ji for his religious discourse and kirtan. people can pass Hukmanma.. bt they dont have right to use talbani force to impose it.... today world is against taliban ....tommorrow such talibani sikhs will come under scanner. god will punish people involved in attacking darshan singh ji.... we call our faith as morden ... bt i still feel some segment needs great exposure...

Some how I missed that News I was away for our Crash Courses.
These peoples will never learned there lesson. Look what happened to Bin Laden how America kept there eyes Taliban and our Gundas will be same some day.
Baba ji give them some Brain leave Prof ji alone

leveler

SPNer
May 26, 2011
One comment I simply must add:

The article says:

I must oppose this. As my Dad used to say, "No one can humiliate me without my consent." From what I know of Prof. Darshan, I seriously doubt if he gave his consent. He was not humiliated.

These...people...simply made us all look bad. Prof. Darshan came out looking strong and brave. His attackers came out looking like barbaric savages.
Hi the people who attacked singh ji are dumb and deaf ... they know nothing about dasam granth . bt they carried out this attack at the behest of some criminals ..who are actually denting sikh religion to the hilt

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM