• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Prof Darshan Singh Attacked In Asansol

May 23, 2009
Prof Darshan Singh attacked in Asansol

In a shocking development, a few people on Tuesday attacked Prof Darshan Singh, former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht, at Asansol in when he reached there for a program.

The Gurmat Prasar Sabha of Asansol had invited Prof Darshan Singh in defiance of a Hukumnama of Akal Takht and incumbent Sikh clergy that had directed the Sikh sangat not to invite the Ragi because of his views against Dasam Granth. Many sections of the Sikh Panth have refused to abide by the edict, calling it as a directive motivated by political vested interests.

The WSN sources said one Bhai Harpal Singh, a nominated SGPC member, was instrumental in garnering support to stop Prof Darshan Singh's program.

As soon as prof Darshan Singh reached the venue, a group of people surrounded his car and humiliated him, abusing him for allegedly opposing the Akal Takht. [/FONT]

Prof Darshan Singh's associate and private secretary Tejpal Singh was also with the Ragi at the time of the attack.

Only last Sunday, the Hoshiarpur district administration had banned a programme of Prof Darshan Singh at Garhshankar in a move that was widely being seen as direct state interference in Sikh affairs.

The SGPC's incumbent leadership, backed by the brute majority that Parkash Singh Badal's party enjoys in the SGPC general house, is pitted against the forces that are opposing moves to grant scriptural status to Dasam Granth.

Attachments

• Prof Darshan Singh at Akal Takht.jpg
    Prof Darshan Singh at Akal Takht.jpg
    31.1 KB · Reads: 831
  • DarshanSingh.jpg
    DarshanSingh.jpg
    23 KB · Reads: 1,795
May 23, 2009
Cyber Sangat Ji,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Here is more information about this attack that I culled from SIKHISM community forum on Orkut,

Plan to Kill Prof. Sahib was hatched by SGPC

Bikramjit

It has been learnt that plan to attack and kill Prof Darshan Singh was hatched by SGPC under direct supervision of Avtar Makkar at order coming from Chandigarh

Few Points

1. 15 people had come from Punjab, another 15 -20 were sent from Patna . Few people directly connected to Kalli leaders of Punjab from Bengal had been identified.

2. SGPC Member Harpal Singh was leading the group. and all had assembled at his house day before the attack.

3. Avtar Makkar annouced in press conference that first installement had been paid to Prof Darshan Singh for his letter to Akal Purakh

This has been done to initmidate Gursikhs who have been ignoring Punjab Goverment and Akal Takhat orders. In Punjab they have been using police to stop people from even inviting Prof Darshan Singh to the houses and outside Punjab since they cannot use Police they have used this tactic

Prof Darshan Singh ji got hit on his arm when he tried to save the sword directed at his head. Another Singh accompying him Bhupinder Singh got in front and has been badly injured.

Prof Darshan Singh jee is in chardi kala and has informed us that he will not be silenced by such attacks .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
satnam ji

This is a disgrace!

But we should not be surprised because the entire affair against Professor Darshan Singh has been conducted in a way to lead up to such a conclusion. No need for me to say more. Much has been said on other threads about the conduct and character of the antagonists in this strange drama.

Prayers for Bhupinder Singh ji. We need news about him. His family must be shaken by this.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
an act of abject cowardice....as to be expected from such....an Adesh (Advisory) from Akal Takhat is voluntarily followed by sikhs as a mark of respect....NOT ENFORCED by GOONDA GARDHEE. Shows just how low we have slipped down the slippery hell hole Guru nanak ji- Guru Gobind Singh Ji spent over 250 YEARS...to pull us out of...More and More like the Radical Fatwas and Talibans types of closed minds...sad :happysingh:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sikhs saved the abducted women from rapes by the Muslims while sacrificing their own lives. Sikh Gurus sacrificed themselves for the human rights of each and everyone of us as individuals no matter what,how we worship The One or which hue, creed or faith we belong to.

Sikhi's foundation based on the bravura to fight for justice for all which is even commented by many from all different religions.

It is shame to notice, that those who hold the power have become the weakest links of this beautiful Gurmat necklace. Sikhi was created to get rid of hooliganism practiced by the Mughals and other Muslims on the innocent and now we find hooligans in the Sikhi garb practicing the same on Sikhs.

What we need to show collectively is outrage not anger because anger dissipates easily without leading us to some concrete results, whereas outrage sows the seeds of justice.

I would like to know where is the Central Govt who rushed with the tanks to surround Amritsar in 1984 and now silent here and in many other affairs that have affected the Sikhs?

I hope some criminal action is taken against whoever is involved in silencing the voice of a brave Sikh- Prof. Darshan Singh.

Now is the time for us to raise our voices against this barbarity because the silence from the other side is deafening.

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Was this kind of dreck what our shaheeds died for? Such conduct is reprehensible for any group; seeing it AGAIN among our own is very painful. :8-:)

It is also terribly embarrassing ::cool:2:, especially when I am asked such things as, "Is this how it's going to be in your Khalistan?"

This goes way beyond whether Prof. Darshan ji is innocent or guilty. The perpetrators of this crime must be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But they won't be.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Both Makkarrd and Gyani Gurbachan Singh have JUSTIFIED this attack as rightful action by "sangat" to ENFORCE their Hukmanma to Ban the KIRTAN of GURBANI/SGGS...by Prof Darshan Singh Ji...:down:

prem judge

SPNer
Dec 17, 2004
Perth
:confused:While it is great to see various members expressing their disgust at this cowerdly attack on a courages sewadar of the Sikh Nation, is it not time for us to take the next step to support this movement so that it gains momentum. On my part I have started circulating the various articles on the D.G. to my common friends with a plea to keep the thread going ( we have all received such posts in our mail - send this to 7 people within 7 days etc etc...). This is one way to ensure that more people get to know the truth about D.G; as I have found that hardly anyone I speak to knows much about it. Sadly in this mundane world that we live in not many have the time or desire to do their own research...and will blindly toe the line.
Secondly we could consider wearing orange/black/white armbands to show our support to Professor Darshan Singh. Encourage people to only give token cash donations at Darbar Sahib as most of the collections are misused. My humble apology if this does not sit right with you as this is a rather touchy issue, so perhaps instead of cash provisions could be donated. My thoughts are that some action is required and the message
needs to be sent across loud and clear that the sangat has had enough of this political interferance. If we unite and invite the same treatment
that was met out to Professor Darshan Singh perhaps we may get the message across. This is a small sacrifice for us from the safety of our
homes and families.... remember he went to jail and now has to live under constant threat from these mad godmen...gundas...tratiors. May Waheguruji guide us at this time of need.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Both Makkarrd and Gyani Gurbachan Singh have JUSTIFIED this attack as rightful action by "sangat" to ENFORCE their Hukmanma to Ban the KIRTAN of GURBANI/SGGS...by Prof Darshan Singh Ji...:down:

Gyani Jarnail Singh ji,

I would make just one small addition to your statement: Those FIAs (fools in Amritsar) TRIED to justify this attack... :down:

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
prem judge ji

I agree with you on many points. This has to be approached in a planful way so that there is no possibility of laying oneself open to further violence. An organization is needed, and "organization" is needed, so that there is clout in many different forms.

Above all many of us will have to overcome our need for "peace in the family" as a way to dodge these serious problems. There is not peace in the family as far as I can see -- so advocacy must continue.

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Prof Darshan Singh attacked in Asansol

In a shocking development, a few people on Tuesday attacked Prof Darshan Singh, former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht, at Asansol in when he reached there for a program.

The Gurmat Prasar Sabha of Asansol had invited Prof Darshan Singh in defiance of a Hukumnama of Akal Takht and incumbent Sikh clergy that had directed the Sikh sangat not to invite the prof Darshan Singh Ji because of his views against Dasam Granth. Many sections of the Sikh Panth have refused to abide by the edict, calling it as a directive motivated by political vested interests.

The WSN sources said one Bhai Harpal Singh, a nominated SGPC member, was instrumental in garnering support to stop Prof Darshan Singh's program.

As soon as prof Darshan SinghJi reached the venue, a group of people surrounded his car and humiliated him, abusing him for allegedly opposing the Akal Takht.

Prof Darshan Singh's associate and private secretary Tejpal Singh was also with the Prof Darshan SinghJi at the time of the attack.

Only last Sunday, the Hoshiarpur district administration had banned a programme of Prof Darshan Singh at Garhshankar in a move that was widely being seen as direct state interference in Sikh affairs.

The SGPC's incumbent leadership, backed by the brute majority that Parkash Singh Badal's party enjoys in the SGPC general house, is pitted against the forces that are opposing moves to grant scriptural status to Dasam Granth.

This is so sad, YOU can not stand for Truth. Mr. Makar should be shamfull of his statment.
Waheguru, Saved Prof Darshan Singh Ji and his Sathis from attacked.
Mr Makar Please if Gur has given you the Power do not use of Us please be a sikh and let other be sikh

Waheguru

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Tejwant Singh Ji Gurfateh:
Sikhs saved the abducted women from rapes by the Muslims while sacrificing their own lives. Sikh Gurus sacrificed themselves for the human rights of each and everyone of us as individuals no matter what,how we worship The One or which hue, creed or faith we belong to.

Sikhi's foundation based on the bravura to fight for justice for all which is even commented by many from all different religions.

It is shame to notice, that those who hold the power have become the weakest links of this beautiful Gurmat necklace. Sikhi was created to get rid of hooliganism practiced by the Mughals and other Muslims on the innocent and now we find hooligans in the Sikhi garb practicing the same on Sikhs.

What we need to show collectively is outrage not anger because anger dissipates easily without leading us to some concrete results, whereas outrage sows the seeds of justice.

I would like to know where is the Central Govt who rushed with the tanks to surround Amritsar in 1984 and now silent here and in many other affairs that have affected the Sikhs?

I hope some criminal action is taken against whoever is involved in silencing the voice of a brave Sikh- Prof. Darshan Singh Ji and other who stood by Prof JI

Now is the time for True Sikhs to raise there voices against this barbarity because the silence from the other side is deafening.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji will punish those who are involve in those crime
True Khalsa Will be forever
Gurfateh:happykaur:

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Listen to this talk on a Radio Shehrh Punjab Vancouver by Prof. Gurvinder Singh. Prof sahib balances everything and brings correct FOCUS on the roots of all this.. Slowly but surely TRUTH is indeed WINNING the Battle...and will win the WAR too. Lies always fail...and the entire DG and Nankshahi changes etc are a pack of LIES as big as the ROORREE DHER in a Rural village in Punjab village.:happysingh:

zSHARE - Prof. Gurvinder Singh Jee of Shere Panjab Radio Canada - Panjab Radio 200110.WAV

explorer

SPNer
Mar 27, 2006
Dear Sangat ji,

Although I strongly disagree with Prof. Darshan Singh regarding his views on Dasam Granth and the way he has supported anti-dasam granth propagandists, however I feel really sad on this kind of voilence.

The situation has taken the shape of the political propaganda and the people are make the best use of the situation even if it divides panth.

The pro-dasam granth scholars have formed the "Sri Dasam Granth Prabodh Sabha" and asked for a constructive dialogue on the issues of concern.

Now its for the anti-DG people to take up the invitation and discuss it in a transparent manner and prove that they have something important and are seriously looking to discuss it rather than blow the trumpet.

Thanks!!
Tej

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear Sangat ji,

Although I strongly disagree with Prof. Darshan Singh regarding his views on Dasam Granth and the way he has supported anti-dasam granth propagandists, however I feel really sad on this kind of voilence.

The situation has taken the shape of the political propaganda and the people are make the best use of the situation even if it divides panth.

The pro-dasam granth scholars have formed the "Sri Dasam Granth Prabodh Sabha" and asked for a constructive dialogue on the issues of concern.

Now its for the anti-DG people to take up the invitation and discuss it in a transparent manner and prove that they have something important and are seriously looking to discuss it rather than blow the trumpet.

Thanks!!
Tej

Explorer ji,

Guru Fateh.

Pardon my ignorance but I do not understand the premise of your post and its intention.

You write:

Can you please shed some Gurmat light on your above statement by responding to my questions?

When was this book named Dasam Granth and by whom?

Did it have any other name before it was named the Dasam Granth?

Who knows in reality and truthfully that so called Dasam Granth is written by our Dasam Pita except our 10th Guru?

Did He say anywhere or through any rehatnaamas that He is the author of this book?

So stating and speculating about the DG that it was written by Dasam Pita, is it not undermining and insulting our 10th Guru, who sacrificed his own Dad, his four sons, bestowed SGGS as our only GURU, and lastly putting the icing on the cake called Khalsa panth which was started by Guru Nanak?

Once you respond to my questions above, then I am sure we as Sikhs, students, learners, seekers can have a very constructive interaction based on Gurmat ideals.

Regards

Tejwant singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Dear Tej,
This whole violent episode clearly explains, who is blowing the trumpet!! :welcome:

And, regarding this so called "Sri Dasam Granth Prabodh Sabha" formed by so called pro-DG Scholars:

1. When and who formed this committee?
  2. Who are the members of this committee?
  3. What are their educational qualifications?
  4. What is the agenda of this committee?
  5. Without an open agenda, how are so called anti-DG Scholars are supposed to say anything in response to it?
If anybody has any knowledge about this committee then it would be helpful to get more information.

Regards

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM