• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Origins Of Kara Prasad

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Where did karah parshad originate from? What was it's original function? What are the meanings of the ingredients? Why do some people use suji but others dont? Is 'blessed food' an incorrect translation?

:yum:

Thanks for educating me

Attachments

• karah-parsad.jpg
    karah-parsad.jpg
    11.2 KB · Reads: 3,138

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Re: Karah Parshad origins

It goes back to the times of our Gurus who treated disciples originally with a piece of "GUD" (brown sugar) later of use of flower became popular mixed with gud cooked in a Karahi hence called Kara pursued.

But true pursaad is the knowledge and wisdom eaten by the mind, it always stays with you that is the pursaad one should seek. wahmunda

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Karah prashad is basically Halwaa ,Which is very popular sweet Dish in South Asia.I Think the concept of muh mitha karana That is why it was distribuited from the time of Guru's.
Btw not all Gurdwara's distribute Karah prashad.Many small Gurdwara's just give you patasha if you visit them on time when hardly anyone is there and if Bhai ji is not goossipping with his friends LOL

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

I'm very much a learner here so please correct me if I say anything wrong. I have seen the parshad stirred with a silver dagger before it is distributed. This reminds me of the Khande de pahul Amrit ceremony. Could there be some connection there?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009

findingmyway ji,

When I was a kid, we'd spend almost the whole sunday at the Gurdwara. Morning diwan, afternoon playtime in the parking lot, and evening diwan. During that time, my brother and I got the chance to do seva. I remember specifically there was an uncle in the kitchen I use to help with storage, an uncle I used to hang around while he did laundry for the "rumalas", and sometimes wander into the room where deg was made *sigh, memories!

anyways, when deg was being prepared, there was simran done. bibis do simran when they make langar.

In comparison, I've also had to work in an indian reception hall to pay for school. food is prepared there too. quite differently.

do you believe things like food, water carry a certain vibration from how they are prepared? many people take "jal" from gurdwaras? im very very curious about this.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Jasleen Ji...
I have been making "Karrah parshaad" for 150 years...and I can tell you reliably that YES..the Food/water etc..can get "vibrated"................IF the PERSON making the karrah parshaad has the intention..has the full concentration..and no outside influences on his Mann....a POORAN GURSIKH preparing Karrah parshad in full Banna reading banee fervently is a sight to behold....SADLY this is NOT the NORM Now adays..even in Gurdwaras..where PAID people are doing all this...and PAID pathees are being relayed over SPEAKERS..while 99.9% of the people have their MANNS elsewhere...gosspipping silently !!! Guru nanak Ji taught this lesson in the Sultan Pur Mosque in memeory of which a Gurdwara called Antarymata Gurdwara now stands.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Gurfatehji

What is "patasha"? Is that the yummy milky cotton candy/fairy floss stuff?

Thanks
Ish

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

findingmyway ji,
anyways, when deg was being prepared, there was simran done. bibis do simran when they make langar.

In comparison, I've also had to work in an indian reception hall to pay for school. food is prepared there too. quite differently.

do you believe things like food, water carry a certain vibration from how they are prepared? many people take "jal" from gurdwaras? im very very curious about this.

I think rather than changing the vibration of the food, these practices are a great way of focussing the mind of the people preparing the food. The simran, paath is not for the benefit of the food but for the benefit of the sevadaar. The food tastes better, not because it is changed, but because the mindset of the person eating it is changed.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Guru Gobind Singh Ji brought forward a scientific revelation which is proved by Dr. Emoto's water crystals recently. Whatever we do, speak, feel affects directly the things around us including us. Gyani ji gave a beautiful example how the effect gets powerful.

What I understand ....the karrah made out of wheat, when warm, has medicinal effects. Singhs used to put it on their wounds to heal those faster. Karrah when made while reciting gurubaani, and offered to the Guru becomes Parshad. The Parshad is distributed among sangat as Guru's blessings.

There are so many things in this world, about which even if we dont know or dont want to know their significance, they will still affect us. Then why not enjoy the super effect blissfully.

With Regards.

saruplanda

SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
UK manchester

GurFateh ji,

Karha Parshad is, scared to the sikh religion, and its originated from time of gru gobind singh ji, Karah Parshad is a Sanctified during the ardas and the distributed to the sadh sangat (congregation) while they are seated in the Darbar sahib.
this way the sangat showes their respect and take blessing from guru ji for the sacred Gurprsad.:redturban:

Satbir singh ajnala

SIKH :The Unique Identity
SPNer
Dec 13, 2016
Amritsar
Karah parsad is given by guru Nanak Dev JI
When guru JI meet with yogis they say we have no teeth for eating any fruit or else.
Could you serve us anything for eating.
Guru JI teach to bhai mardana JI about karah parsad.
And serve them.
After that it is going in Sikh rituals as a blessing food of GURU JI.
It is also very energetic.
For doing long meditation. At the time of preparing japji sahib gurbani reciting and after completion in the presence of GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI an and sahib reciting. So having also lot of blessings from GURU JI.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM