• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nihang Niddar Singh - What Is The Controversy?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
So what is the controversy surrounding this fellow?

Attachments

• Nihang Niddar Singh.jpg
    Nihang Niddar Singh.jpg
    12.2 KB · Reads: 1,520

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

As I said in another thread, this is all emerging in crumbs here and there. I though that you would know more since you are in the UK. The controversies are not about Niddar ji. I have only a theory at this point: Niddar ji got caught up in a wave of controversies and when the book was published he was swamped by a climate of controversy, because he said some things that are not strictly according to rehat. People with "purist" agendas seized the moment to take issue with him publicly. That is my thinking at this time

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I would say the controversy lies in his sanatanist viewing of Sikhism which portrays it as a string off the main Hindu ball. It is no big secret that many people calling themselves Sikh have no problem with this assertion but it is also plainly evident that many people who call themselves Sikh vehemently object to this interpretation, and have been doing so for over a century at least.

My own personal view is that he may represent a minority view from the panth of old. This view is very different to what mainline Sikhs believe today. There lies the controversy.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
dalsingh ji

If the people demanding the apology were themselves mainstream then I would agree with you. Correct my errors of thinking -- but I believe that they are as Randip ji stated in another thread members of sects with themselves distinctive points of view.

Also why is the correction of Niddar associated with his book if it is his practice of Sikhism that is faulty? The book should stand on its scholarly merits not the orientation of the author.

As I said ji-- I am open to correction. This is mystifying.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
dalsingh ji

If the people demanding the apology were themselves mainstream then I would agree with you. Correct my errors of thinking -- but I believe that they are as Randip ji stated in another thread members of sects with themselves distinctive points of view.

As I said ji-- I am open to correction. This is mystifying.

One thing that I believe often gets overlooked by Sikhs is the evolution factor. For instance we know that Dasmesh Pita gave out one set of rehat in 1699, but subsequently different jathas, separated from each other under seriously hostile conditions, expanded these. This may well explain why we get variations in rehat marayadas that claim to be from old (such as DDT and nihungs). The other point is that the nihungs from Hazuur Sahib have had a very patchy relationship with their Panjabi brothers and sisters and therefore my have developed their own strain of maryada. Another alternative view is that they actually represent older practices which have since died out in the Panjab.

What we can probably guess is that some Singhs stayed their (Hazuur Sahib) after Guru ji's passing and I think many Singhs went there immediately after the Anglo-Sikh wars as they were being hunted down by the British and their Sikh supporters in the Panjab.

Also why is the correction of Niddar associated with his book if it is his practice of Sikhism that is faulty? The book should stand on its scholarly merits not the orientation of the author

Some people are uncomfortable with any scholarly actvity that challenges established wisdom, this could be a justified objection or otherwise.

Mar 26, 2006
The people to oppose him are from Akhand Kirtani Jatha ...we all know this 'sect' in itself is a mess..playing with the rehit is their favorite past time ...i like their founder Bhai Randhirsinghji ..but not the way things are going at their end ...

The Nihangs follow Puratan Sikhi...and the AKJ has hijacked their baana..trying to be the modern 'nihangs' ...

The main prob is the islam like mentality of such sects who just find fault with other sects..

So far I find the comments pretty funny. How can a Singh be pushed to apologize, its hard to understand the support behind this. Singhs are suppose to stand up to oppression doesn't matter where it is coming from and here people are saying Bhai Niddar Singh gave in. Hes a Gatka instructor and a Nihang Singh a man like him knows how to defend his stand physically and mentally. Reminds me of the Sakhi of Taru Singh. Taught us to stand up in what we believe in don't give into oppresion.

Here you have Bhia Niddar Singh ji apologizing not because of oppression, but for his mistakes.

I think some take this as the opportunity to get there nicely polished rods that have been sitting in the corner wait for the right moment and do some jatha bashing. Get all that built up anger out the right way!:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The people to oppose him are from Akhand Kirtani Jatha ...we all know this 'sect' in itself is a mess..playing with the rehit is their favorite past time ...i like their founder Bhai Randhirsinghji ..but not the way things are going at their end ...

The Nihangs follow Puratan Sikhi...and the AKJ has hijacked their baana..trying to be the modern 'nihangs' ...

The main prob is the islam like mentality of such sects who just find fault with other sects..
''

rajkhalsa ji

This is what I see shaping up too. But how to be certain? It is confusing because it almost seems as new and special definitions are being formed that had not up until now existed. For example, why would Nihangs ask another Nihang to apologize for having "purutan" inclinations. That makes no sense at all. And yes, to me it was looking like AKJ and made took up the controversy with Niddar ji. But you can see how bewildered I am.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Ok, let us post some links here here and some articles for and against and make some sense of it.

Some days back I posted comments of bahadur singh/javanmard/bahadur ali , an ex - sikh convert.Much of his anger was directed towards niddar singh and his nihangs,that guy really had bad experiance with him.I even talked with vijaydeep singh on niddar some days back and he told me that niddar has some goon type mentality.

''

rajkhalsa ji

This is what I see shaping up too. But how to be certain? It is confusing because it almost seems as new and special definitions are being formed that had not up until now existed. For example, why would Nihangs ask another Nihang to apologize for having "purutan" inclinations. That makes no sense at all. And yes, to me it was looking like AKJ and made took up the controversy with Niddar ji. But you can see how bewildered I am.

niddar singh - Google Video=#

Here's which jatha was there and asked for the apology by Niddar Singh

Nang Niddar Singh Apologising for his mistakes made in his book 'In The Masters Presence' and for misleading the sikh sangat. This was carried out in front of Singh Sahib Kulawant Singh, representatives of Buddha Dal, Tarna Dal, Hazoor Sahib Singhs, Damdami Taksal and other Jathebandiya - this is following a number of run ins with Nihungs Singhs from the various Dals who challenged Niddar on his views on Sikh Women cutting their Kes and Sikhs being Hindus etc. As per the video Niddar was unable to justify his stance and views. All present Nihang Dals condemn Niddar and his views. «

Well according to some now the Puratan Sikhi that Nihangs follow let women cut their hair and Sikhs are Hindus. Some have been smoking the good old Sukha for to long. Last time I heard the youngster these days were going puff puff pass.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Some days back I posted comments of bahadur singh/javanmard/bahadur ali , an ex - sikh convert.Much of his anger was directed towards niddar singh and his nihangs,that guy really had bad experiance with him.I even talked with vijaydeep singh on niddar some days back and he told me that niddar has some goon type mentality.

kds ji

Since vijaydeep ji is always balanced and objective his perception carries weight as far as I am concerned. I am not sure about the ex-sikh convert though.

Also can you explain why his views on kes would have any bearing on the book In the Master's Presence -- which is about the history of Hazoor Sahib and not about kes? Any help along those lines would be most appreciated.

Kuls1980

SPNer
Jan 26, 2009
UK, Hertfordshire
Hello everyone.

I have just joined this forum and the first subject I stumble upon, is about Niddhar Singh. Every Sikh forum you go to, there are more topics on him rather than any thing else. We have given him a lot of publicity. Good or Bad.

On a personal note Niddhar Singh is a good man, he has great knowledge that he wants to share with rest of the Sikh community. Then it's entirely up to the individual if they want to take this information or throw it in the bin.
I think the AKJ, have seriously been hurt by this man, thats why they have such a strong opinion on him. AKJ and other sects are looking for an escape goat to blame for their downfall.

I apologies if I have offended any one, but this solely my point of view.

Gurfetha

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
niddar singh - Google Video=#

Here's which jatha was there and asked for the apology by Niddar Singh

Nang Niddar Singh Apologising for his mistakes made in his book 'In The Masters Presence' and for misleading the sikh sangat. This was carried out in front of Singh Sahib Kulawant Singh, representatives of Buddha Dal, Tarna Dal, Hazoor Sahib Singhs, Damdami Taksal and other Jathebandiya - this is following a number of run ins with Nihungs Singhs from the various Dals who challenged Niddar on his views on Sikh Women cutting their Kes and Sikhs being Hindus etc. As per the video Niddar was unable to justify his stance and views. All present Nihang Dals condemn Niddar and his views. «

Well according to some now the Puratan Sikhi that Nihangs follow let women cut their hair and Sikhs are Hindus. Some have been smoking the good old Sukha for to long. Last time I heard the youngster these days were going puff puff pass.

Ermm Nihangs don't smoke. Where did you get such misinformation. Sukka is consumed in a liquid form. It was administered to Sikhs before battle. It is something commmonly used by Kshatriya class in the Indian subcontinent.

I think that apology was made under duress and some people stirred the situation up against Niddar.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM