• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nihang Niddar Singh - What Is The Controversy?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Just wondering, because I cannot locate it in the articles, where Niddar says that meat can be eaten from anywhere. The only thing the Maryada says is that meat killed in the halal way may not be eaten. There are no problems with eating meat per se.

spnadminji, I think you are getting confused here and thinking off track.
I will try and explain a little-

The Nihang maryada stresses the importance of 'Jhatka'.
It also makes it clear that it is a sin to have meat for pleasure of the tongue.

Therefore, the historical value of jhatka comes first and the meat is eaten secondary. This is the case in the goat or any animal.
But with the goat, after the primary jhatka, then secondary, is
- use of the blood to annoint weapons,
- to conume the meat for mahaprashad.
- use the skin to make tablas or drums..etc..

Since it is considered sinful to just be doing jhatka for pleasure of the tongue, it is also forbidden to purchase or eat meat from shops and restaurants etc..
This meat from other sources is called 'KHULLAH MAAS' and it is forbidden to consume this, therfore a nihang should only consume if he has personally participated or was in the group when jhatka was performed.

Basically no participation in jhatka then no meat consumption.
(In effect means no big macs or KFC..etc.)

But Mr Niddar was tryiing to say that it is OK to eat khullah maas and eat meat from other sources- which is clearly wrong once you understand the real significance of jhatka.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Duh? I don't think I am confused at all. I was asking where in the articles the comment was made by Mr. Niddar. TigerStyleZ ji told me where to find it. The rest of your post I already know. :) SPN members and readers may also want to look at other posts about jhakha in the forum.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Duh? I don't think I am confused at all. I was asking where in the articles the comment was made by Mr. Niddar. TigerStyleZ ji told me where to find it. The rest of your post I already know. :) SPN members and readers may also want to look at other posts about jhakha in the forum.

I apologise for wasting your time.
My bad, because I intervened inbetween your conversation with Tigerstylez ji, by trying to help!
You may delete the worthless post above by all means.

Sorry!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
LuckySingh ji

It might be good to leave your post because some readers may not know of the Nihang Maryada regarding Jhatka in detail. So I will leave it.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
In the world of Sikh plurality, everyone wants recognition. Everyone will have their own interpretation of things, their own philosophy etc. We have to take what Guru gives us, Gurprasad. As long as we are in Darbar of Guru, we will be gifted with things which we can't find on our own in this world. That way, with new gifts of Guru, we will never go old.

ਗੂਜਰੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਜੀਉ ਕਾ ਪਦਾ ਘਰੁ
Goojaree, Padas Of Jai Dayv Jee, Fourth House:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਪਰਮਾਦਿ ਪੁਰਖਮਨੋਪਿਮੰ ਸਤਿ ਆਦਿ ਭਾਵ ਰਤੰ

In the very beginning, was the Primal Lord, unrivalled, the Lover of Truth and other virtues.

ਪਰਮਦਭੁਤੰ ਪਰਕ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਪਰੰ ਜਦਿਚਿੰਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੧॥

He is absolutely wonderful, transcending creation; remembering Him, all are emancipated. ||1||

ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਮਨੋਰਮੰ

Dwell only upon the beauteous Name of the Lord,

ਬਦਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਤਤ ਮਇਅੰ
the embodiment of ambrosial nectar and reality.

ਦਨੋਤਿ ਜਸਮਰਣੇਨ ਜਨਮ ਜਰਾਧਿ ਮਰਣ ਭਇਅੰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Remembering Him in meditation, the fear of birth, old age and death will not trouble you. ||1||Pause||

ਇਛਸਿ ਜਮਾਦਿ ਪਰਾਭਯੰ ਜਸੁ ਸ੍ਵਸਤਿ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਕ੍ਰਿਤੰ
If you desire to escape the fear of the Messenger of Death, then praise the Lord joyfully, and do good deeds.

ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਭਾਵ ਸਮਬ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਅੰ ਪਰਮੰ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨਮਿਦੰ ॥੨॥
In the past, present and future, He is always the same; He is the embodiment of supreme bliss. ||2||

ਲੋਭਾਦਿ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਪਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੰ ਜਦਿਬਿਧਿ ਆਚਰਣੰ
If you seek the path of good conduct, forsake greed, and do not look upon other men's property and women.

ਤਜਿ ਸਕਲ ਦੁਹਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੁਰਮਤੀ ਭਜੁ ਚਕ੍ਰਧਰ ਸਰਣੰ ॥੩॥
Renounce all evil actions and evil inclinations, and hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord. ||3||

ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤ ਨਿਜ ਨਿਹਕੇਵਲਾ ਰਿਦ ਕਰਮਣਾ ਬਚਸਾ
Worship the immaculate Lord, in thought, word and deed.

ਜੋਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਜਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਦਾਨੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਤਪਸਾ ॥੪॥
What is the good of practicing Yoga, giving feasts and charity, and practicing penance? ||4||

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੇਤਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਰ ਸਕਲ ਸਿਧਿ ਪਦੰ
Meditate on the Lord of the Universe, the Lord of the Universe, O man; He is the source of all the spiritual powers of the Siddhas.

ਜੈਦੇਵ ਆਇਉ ਤਸ ਸਫੁਟੰ ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੫॥੧॥
Jai Dayv has openly come to Him; He is the salvation of all, in the past, present and future.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
TigerStyleZ making Problems again 0:)just kidding, no spnadmin ji i am Not offended, luckyji was just trying to defend me, because sometimes i am an Idiot, i guess mundahug
Everything is fine and double thanks to Lucky ji for that Post, because i now learnt nihang marayada in abit more detail.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks Kanwaljit ji. Thanks because I already posted the link to sarbloh a few posts back. It was dismissed as the work of Niddar Singh. I said nothing at the time . However, I want to see what the reaction is now that you have posted it. Maybe there will be more. There is more to say than "Oh! That site is maintained by Niddar Singh." Actually it is not Let's see how the conversation goes before I chime in again.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hehe I had to search this page of course! I had previously explored on the link between Niddar Singh and this website. You can never be sure. Thanks to Bhagat Singh ji for making me update my references.
:)
He has managed to polarized the youth in eastern Canada to some extent. He even visited Ottawa, I wanted to go and meet him or observe him. Didn't get a chance.

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Bhai Randhir Singh is NOT the founder of the Akhand Kirtani jatha.The jatha was founded by his worshippers after his death, in 1943, and propogated thereon,like the Bhindra mehta jatha that now claims ancestry to damdama.since 1977.

The Nihangs are NOT necessarily followers of "Puratan" Sikhi.Bhang consumption was NOT dictated by Guru Gobind Singh.They consume bhang as their main vein food.

The different tribes and groups of Nihangs all claim different ownership of so called purantan pratices, many of which have already been diluted depending where these nihangs lived and originated from and under what babas!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM