• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Jun 1, 2008
Good morning brothers and sisters

I don't know if I'm a Sikh or not the only thing i know is that there is no one as great as Guru Nanak in my eyes he was the man he always will be i respect him more than anyone else.my relation with him is like that of a seed with the sun he is my energy he is everything not my Guru although but he is the most respected man.
Today there are many who claim to be his children,his followers and others who earn on his name i am not one of them i am living just for one sight one sight of Guru Nanak.
Now there are many religious organizations running on his name he never intended to create one please don't mind my words.Sikhism gives us an open opportunity to learn and to be close to the Guru although i don't practice Sikhism i want to establish health relations with Sikhs and Sikhism forgetting the past.

Thank you

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
the_last_sikh ji

Please let it not be true that you are the last sikh. Welcome however to the forum and please make it your home away from home. There is a lifetime of learning ahead for each of us, you and me. So let's continue on this path of learning together. The forum has some unique and rich resources to help out with that objective. Explore all the threads. You will notice that recently there have been many new additions to the Gurmat vichaar threads -- written by mighty scholars. Gurmat is the teacher. Please enjoy the classroom. :wah:

jorawar73

SPNer
Mar 23, 2009
Gurfateh Aman Singh ji,

I am Anil sharma from pandit family.But now I am a Amritdhari Singh ( Jorawar Singh ). But My wife is not Amritdhari,she belong to ramgarhia family.I have a one baby of seven years.I contact with SPN by Balkar Singh Goraya. He is my neighberar and very good person and he is Rtd from Army . I want to contact every time with sikh matters. I had also read Sikh Missionary course in 1993.
Than I became a newly sikh.Due to Sikh Missionary circle Jammu I made a perfect sikh with the contacts of Jagjit Singh Manager in PNB Rtd. And also contacts with Sikh Missionary circle Anadpur Sahib Gaini Surinder Singh ji Principal and Gurcharan Singh ji Parcharak . I am working in Dubai,now I am in India.

Thanks,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,Waheguru ji ki Fateh
Anil kumar (Jorawar Singh)

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Gurfateh Aman Singh ji,

I am Anil sharma from pandit family.But now I am a Amritdhari Singh ( Jorawar Singh ). But My wife is not Amritdhari,she belong to ramgarhia family.I have a one baby of seven years.I contact with SPN by Balkar Singh Goraya. He is my neighberar and very good person and he is Rtd from Army . I want to contact every time with sikh matters. I had also read Sikh Missionary course in 1993.
Than I became a newly sikh.Due to Sikh Missionary circle Jammu I made a perfect sikh with the contacts of Jagjit Singh Manager in PNB Rtd. And also contacts with Sikh Missionary circle Anadpur Sahib Gaini Surinder Singh ji Principal and Gurcharan Singh ji Parcharak . I am working in Dubai,now I am in India.

Thanks,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,Waheguru ji ki Fateh
Anil kumar (Jorawar Singh)

Dear Anil Kumar (Jorawar Singh) Ji,

It is nice to find you visiting SPN! Welcome to SPN!

Warm Regards

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jorawar ji

Please forgive me for forgetting to welcome you. You are warmly invited to join all of our conversations and enjoy all of our resources here. I hope to see you participating in our threads. Please start threads anew and share your experiences and knowledge with us.

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Dear Jorawar Singh Ji,

Welcome to SPN. I am really humbled by your dedication to sikhism. Please share your experiences with us which prompted you to follow sikhism as a way of life.

You could be a great source of inspiration for all of us.

Looking forward to hear from you.

singhini

SPNer
Mar 28, 2009
Sat siri akal ji!

I am new to the group, and was recommended it by a friend.

I am a British born sikh, with indian heritage.

I have immense love for the gurus and would like to learn more about their teachings.

Recently I have begun to do my daily nitnem and questions are arising. I am hoping this group may be able to provide me with the support and guidance that I need?

I look forward to participating in the group and connecting with you all.

Many thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
singhini ji

Welcome to SPN :welcome: I think your questions will be answered. However you have to persist and stick around. There are a lot of threads on most of the key issues of Sikhism. But you will be surprised. Sikhs are learners and questions abound here too. So be prepared for lively debates. In the end you will have enough information to see many aspects of an issue, and enough to understand where Gurbani will lead you.:)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sat siri akal ji!

I am new to the group, and was recommended it by a friend.

I am a British born sikh, with indian heritage.

I have immense love for the gurus and would like to learn more about their teachings.

Recently I have begun to do my daily nitnem and questions are arising. I am hoping this group may be able to provide me with the support and guidance that I need?

I look forward to participating in the group and connecting with you all.

Many thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

Singhni ji,

Welcome to SPN, the playground of all Sikhs-learners-seekers-students.

Sikhs are like the archeologists of the Soul. So let us dig in together and find the Gurmat nuggets hidden within.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see the nuggets you have brought in with you to share.

Tejwant Singh

Mar 28, 2009
i live in england
hello, im aman
ive newly joined SPN, i go to a school where there are loads of muslims and i get left out by them, can you please help me because i want to become a good sikh .
can u please explain to me the meaning of being a sikh so that if any of my mates question me then i will be able to answer them and they will never question me again.
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Welcome Aman Ji to SPN,

Guru Gobind Singh in His Swaeeyas #1 says in DG, Page, 712

ਜਾਗਤਿ ਜੋਤ ਜਪੈ ਨਿਸ ਬਾਸੁਰ ਏਕ ਬਿਨਾ ਮਨ ਨੈਕ ਨ ਆਨੈ ਪੂਰਨ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਤ ਸਜੈ ਬ੍ਰਤ ਗੋਰ ਮੜੀ ਮਟ ਭੂਲ ਨ ਮਾਨੈ ਤੀਰਥ ਦਾਨ ਦਇਆ ਤਪ ਸੰਜਮ ਏਕ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਹ ਏਕ ਪਛਾਨੈ ਪੂਰਨ ਜੋਤ ਜਗੈ ਘਟ ਮੈ ਤਬ ਖਾਲਸ ਤਾਹਿ ਨਖਾਲਸ ਜਾਨੈ
<O:p</O:p
Jaagat Joat Japai ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on"><?xml::
><st1:City w:st=
Nis:place> Basar Ayk Bina Man Naik Na Aanai.Pooran Prem Partit Sajai Barat Gor Marhi Matt Bhool Na Manai.Ttheerathh Daan Dayaa Tap Sanjam Ayk Binaa Neh Ayk Pashhaanai.Pooran joth jagai ghatt mai thab khaalas thaahi nakhaalas jaanai.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>
He, who remembers the ever-awakened Light throughout night and day and does not bring anyone else in the mind, and practices his vow with whole hearted affection and does not believe in even by oversight, the graves, Hindu monuments and monasteries; and does not recognize anyone else except One God, not even the bestowal of charities, performance of merciful acts, austerities and restraint on pilgrim-stations; the perfect light of the God illuminates his heart, then one comes to know immaculate Pure from impure.

My two cents on the subject and other members can add there vision or definition by SGPC etc;

Sikh/ ਸਿੱਖ

Sikh word has been used in Sabd Guru as student/pupil/teaching/or a tuft of hair or head -ਚੇਲਾ, ਵਿਦਆਰਥੀ, ਸ਼ਿਸ਼। ਸ਼ਿਸ਼/ਸਿੱਖ ਦੀ/ਦਾ/ਨੂੰ। ਸਿੱਖਿਆ। ਸਿੱਖ/ਸਮਝ! ਬੋਦੀ, ਚੋਟੀ, ਸਿਰ।
A Sikh is the student of truth who understands and live the teachings contained in Sabd Guru (AGGS) in word and spirit at each step of daily life. One must take these teachings until these take you. The mechanical recitation of Nitname and other rituals performed daily etc with out understanding are all superstitions with out any spiritual benefit or ਖੇਪ. It is the development of virtues which makes it a devotional worship says Guru Nanak in his Japji;

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

viṇ guṇ kīṯė bẖagaṯ na ho¬ė.

Without virtue, there is no devotional worship. -----Guru Nanak, Japji, AGGS, Page, 4-16

Guru Nanak further advises on good and bad acts as the basis for Divine justice in Raag Ramkali;

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਆਖੈ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਸਿਖ ਸਹੀ ॥ਲੇਖਾ ਰਬੁ ਮੰਗੇਸੀਆ ਬੈਠਾ ਕਢਿ ਵਹੀ ॥

Nānak ākẖai rė manā suṇī¬ai sikẖ sahī. Lėkẖā rab mangėsī¬ā baiṯẖā kadẖ vahī.

O mind, listen to the True Teachings, Says Nanak, that God will call you to account by opening the ledger. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 953-13

ਮੂੰਡੁ ਮੁਡਾਇ ਜਟਾ ਸਿਖ ਬਾਧੀ ਮੋਨਿ ਰਹੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਾ ॥ਮਨੂਆ ਡੋਲੈ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਧਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਰਤ ਆਤਮ ਗਿਆਨਾ ॥

Mūnd mudā¬ė jatā sikẖ bāḏẖī mon rahai abẖimānā. Manū¬ā dolai ḏah ḏis ḏẖāvai bin raṯ āṯam gi¬ānā.

Some shave their heads, some keep their hair in matted tangles; some keep it. Their minds waver and wander in ten directions, without loving devotion and enlightenment of the soul. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 1013-5

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਨਮੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ॥ ਹੋਵੈ ਤ ਸਨਮੁਖੁ ਸਿਖੁ ਕੋਈ ਜੀਅਹੁ ਰਹੈ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਲੇ ॥ ਆਪੁ ਛਡਿ ਸਦਾ ਰਹੈ ਪਰਣੈ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਏ ॥ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਸਨਮੁਖੁ ਹੋਏ ॥

Kahai Nānak suṇhu sanṯahu so sikẖ sanmukẖ ho¬ė.Jė ko sikẖ gurū sėṯī sanmukẖ hovai. Hovai ṯa sanmukẖ sikẖ ko¬ī jī¬ahu rahai gur nālė. Āp cẖẖad saḏā rahai parṇai gur bin avar na jāṇai ko¬ė.

If a Sikh turns to the Guru with sincere faith, as sunmukh - his soul abides with the Guru. Renouncing selfishness and conceit, he remains always on the side of the Guru; he does not know anyone except the Guru. Says Nanak, listen, O Saints: such a Sikh turns toward the Guru with sincere faith, and becomes sunmukh.
-----Guru Amardas, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 919-18 & 19, & 920-21

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥

Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā¬ė so bẖalkė uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi¬āvai. Uḏam karė bẖalkė parbẖāṯī isnān karė amriṯ sar nāvai. Upḏės gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ leh jāvai. Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi¬ā uṯẖ¬ḏi¬ā har nām ḏẖi¬āvai. Jo sās girās ḏẖi¬ā¬ė mėrā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai. Jis no ḏa¬i¬āl hovai mėrā su¬āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏės suṇāvai. Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai.

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name. Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased. Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name. One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that Gur Sikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind. That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that Gur Sikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed. Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that Gur Sikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. -----Guru Ramdas, Gauri Ki Var, AGGS, Page, 305

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਮਹਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਰਖਾਈ ॥ਗੁਰੁ ਤੁਠਾ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਵੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥

Har har gur meh bẖagaṯ rakẖā¬ī. Gur ṯuṯẖā sikẖ ḏėvai mėrė bẖā¬ī.

The Lord has implanted His devotional worship in the Guru. When the Guru is pleased, He bestows it upon His Sikh, O my siblings of Destiny. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 367-12

Conclusion;

He who believes in One creator, equality for all, with understanding and deliberation of the Gur Bani contained in AGGS with reflection on its teachings in daily life is a Sikh. Sikh Gurus simplified the faith in One Creator for all and advised to get rid of empty superstitious rituals. Sikh faith is no religion IMHO, it is a set of principles if followed honestly and truthfully will make an individual a better human believing in human equality and finding God in him self says Nanak in his Japji;

ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥

Maṯ vicẖ raṯan javāhar māṇik jė ik gur kī sikẖ suṇī.

Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies, if you listen to the Guru's Teachings, even once. -----Guru Nanak, Japji, AGGS, Page, 2-12

Cordially,
Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Singhni Ji and Aman ji...
I am sure you will find the SPN a level playing field..where all are team players and we all learn from each other..no strutting "Captains" to push you around..but available never the less to assist...help..comfort...and most importantly to encourage..shaabash. You will enjoy SPN and even more when you get used to the environment...cheers and welcome
Jarnail Singh Kuala Lumpur Malaysia:welcome:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sikhi_meri_jaan ji

Welcome to SPN :welcome:

I have no doubt that you are going to enjoy your membership here at SPN. Please make it a point to visit frequently. Read read read and write write write. Please start threads and ask questions. There is so much available on this site and a very open-minded atmosphere. Happy you have joined.

Antonia

Mar 28, 2009
i live in england
thankyou for your support gyani jarnail singh ji, aad002 ji n vsgrewal ji
i go to a school where there are alot of muslims, they always raise questions on sikhi, i told gyani ji in the in the gurdwara i go to, he told me that sikhism is the true religion, he also said that waheguru ji created sikhism to put everyone on the right path, i want to give my muslim friends such answers that will leave them speechless and they will never raise questions on sikhi again, please support me.
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: