• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Jul 27, 2007
Hello to all SPN readers
I am Civil/Structural engineer working in Delhi. SPN is nice website which gives a lot of information about sikhisim. I am intersted to download mp3 files for japji saheb, rehras saheb & sukhmani sahem. Can you guide me for that ?

Best Regards
Kulwinder Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear kulwinder ji --

The two biggest sites that I know of for downloading are Proudtobeskihs..com and Sikhnet.com. Sometimes you do have to have a membership to download to the computer. Or you have to subscribe to a service like QuickTime Pro or RealPlayer.

Welcome

Jul 10, 2006
Hello to all SPN readers
I am Civil/Structural engineer working in Delhi. SPN is nice website which gives a lot of information about sikhisim. I am intersted to download mp3 files for japji saheb, rehras saheb & sukhmani sahem. Can you guide me for that ?

Best Regards
Kulwinder Singh

Welcome all.

Some sites for downloading the above mentioned mp3's:

Keertan.Org - Kirtan, Katha, Videos
.:: UNITED SIKHS ::. (with translations)
iKirtan.com:
SikhRoots.com - Home (formally known as ektaone)
Amrit Bani
Rehiras Sahib - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.
.:: Raj Karega Khalsa Network ::.
G U R M A T V E E C H A R . C O M

Papa Giorgio

SPNer
Aug 3, 2007
SoCal
“Hello All”
<o></o>
I am a reader and a researcher. I am getting a Masters degree in Theology. The Reason I am here is so I can better understand Sikhism by asking some questions. I have a good grasp on most world religions except for Sikhism. At first my questions might be basic, but these inevitably lead to tougher ones.
Much Thought,
Papa Giorgio

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected Papa Giorgio -- I am fascinated by your personal introduction. Did you know that the pink emoticons you have on your page are sticking out their tongues at us? They are cute, and I wish I had the stuff to use them. But the "sticking out tongues" part of your message is not cute. You probably didn't realize that's what they were.

Funny that Papa in Italian means Pope - so I am guessing that you have a terrific sense of humor and many of us will enjoy interacting with you in spite of the emoticons.

You say that you are seeking a master's degree in theology. So if SPN is a context for collecting research material in your quest, you will realize that we are all over the lot: ranging from those steeped in Gurmat (True Wisdom/the basis of Sikh theology) to others enjoying an opportunity to air their opinions. A diverse and open place. I trust that you have preliminary notions of the kinds of theological issues, concepts and principles that you will use to guide your study of Sikhism. That you will use them to organize your understanding of what you read.

I wish you well, and hope in the near future to see you start with the basic questions that you want to present to the forum members.

Here is a basic Sikh concept to think about, Stay in Chardi Kala!
Antonia D'Onofrio

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007
Welcome to SPN !!

This is a place for new members to introduce themselves to the Network. Please enjoy your stay over here and have a nice time.

With Best Regards

Aman Singh
SPN Management

Hi, I am Cheryl Young. I live in SE Michigan. I am a Christian. Thank you for your welcome message.

There are many Muslims where I live and since 2001 I have learned about Islam and some other religions. Islam's agenda is disquieting to me.

I have read a little about Sikhism. The only Sikhs I ever met are people who have a restaurant that is about 40 miles from my home. I went there once with a friend who studied Yoga.

It is difficult to find detailed information about Sikhism. Specifically, I would like to know about 'SARBAT DA BHALLA'.

Warmest regards,
Cheryl Young

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Cheryl,

Thank you and here are two links. If you need more information, reply and someone will get back to you.

SARBAT-DA-BHALLA: Caring for all Existence

You can also try SikhiWiki at [url]http://www.sikhiwiki.org[/URL].Type sarbat-da-bhalla in the search engine. My browser has been unable to connect with Sikhiwiki.org. I am not sure why -- but perhaps the power failure in the Punjab has disrupted internet connections. Who knows?

Anyway, at http://www.sikhiwiki.org -- you should find answers to many other questions.

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007
Re: SARBAT-DA-BHALLA: Caring for all Existence

Cheryl,

Thank you and here are two links. If you need more information, reply and someone will get back to you.

SARBAT-DA-BHALLA: Caring for all Existence

You can also try SikhiWiki at [URL]http://www.sikhiwiki.org[/URL].Type sarbat-da-bhalla in the search engine. My browser has been unable to connect with Sikhiwiki.org. I am not sure why -- but perhaps the power failure in the Punjab has disrupted internet connections. Who knows?

Anyway, at http://www.sikhiwiki.org -- you should find answers to many other questions.

Thank you for your information. When I used a search engine it directed me to sikhwiki and the website was down then. That search engine is where I found this forum. I will read the information at the other website. Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

P.S. What do the words in your signature mean?
siqguru swhu pwieAw vf dwxw hir kIey bhu gux swJw?
satgur saahu paa-i-aa vad daanaa har kee-ay baho gun saajh (Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Page:697)

Warmest regards,
Cheryl

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Cherylyoungji

Here is one of many possible English translations. I have found the True Guru, the great, all-knowing King; He has shared with me the many Glorious Virtues of the Lord.

Keeping mind that the shabads of the Bani are written in poetic form and were sung, exact translation to another language is always problematic and sometimes controversial. Actually, this translation has for the sake of the form of English poetry and scripture taken a degree of liberty with the basic meaning. This always happens.

A more straightforward interpretation of this (mine only) is, When you attach yourself to the True Guru (Satgur) then the Almighty (Har) will bless you with Divine Bliss. Now if a bunch of people respond with other versions, don't become preturbed because this happens by virtue of the translation difficulties. And that type of discussion is always one of the most educational in the forum.

Stay in Chardi Kala

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007

Cherylyoungji

Here is one of many possible English translations. I have found the True Guru, the great, all-knowing King; He has shared with me the many Glorious Virtues of the Lord.

Keeping mind that the shabads of the Bani are written in poetic form and were sung, exact translation to another language is always problematic and sometimes controversial. Actually, this translation has for the sake of the form of English poetry and scripture taken a degree of liberty with the basic meaning. This always happens.

A more straightforward interpretation of this (mine only) is, When you attach yourself to the True Guru (Satgur) then the Almighty (Har) will bless you with Divine Bliss. Now if a bunch of people respond with other versions, don't become preturbed because this happens by virtue of the translation difficulties. And that type of discussion is always one of the most educational in the forum.

Stay in Chardi Kala

One one website I read that 5 banis (panj bania) that are to be recited daily by baptized Sikhs. On another it says that the panj bania are to be recited in the morning and other bania are to be recited at other times with optional ones in the evening and at night. The sikhiwiki website still is down.

So are you a baptized Sikh (amrithari)? It would be helpful to have a glossary of Sikh terms in Wikipedia like this one about Islamic terms...
List of Islamic terms in Arabic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If I knew more about Sikhism I would try to make such a list.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Hi Cherylyoung ji

I would be glad to answer your questions but this thread is for introductions and our conversation is getting a little long. Why not start another thread in new to Sikhi and call it something Questions about Skihi or whatever you prefer? To start a thread, go back out to the home page, click on New to Sikhi and you should see an orange button in the upper left. This must make me sound like a fuss-budget, but admin would probably like it better. While you are doing that I will find the glossary of Sikh terms. I have it somewhere.

Antonia

cherylyoung

SPNer
Aug 4, 2007
Re: SARBAT-DA-BHALLA: Caring for all Existence >>New to Sikhi

Hi Cherylyoung ji

I would be glad to answer your questions but this thread is for introductions and our conversation is getting a little long. Why not start another thread in new to Sikhi and call it something Questions about Skihi or whatever you prefer? To start a thread, go back out to the home page, click on New to Sikhi and you should see an orange button in the upper left. This must make me sound like a fuss-budget, but admin would probably like it better. While you are doing that I will find the glossary of Sikh terms. I have it somewhere.

Antonia

That is an excellent suggestion. I will make a post in New Sikhi and call it Questions about Sikhi. I started a page in the general Wikipedia for Sikh terms. Anyone can contribute to it. Wikipedia is a good introductory resource for people so I think it is worth the time and effort to participate. The links to specialized Sikh pages can be put there. As time permits, I will learn about Sikhism and participate by adding to the articles in Wikipedia.

You can add to the page I started here....
Sikh terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would be great if you could add the gurmulki script for each term.

satnm

SPNer
Aug 8, 2007
chandigarh
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh Aman Singh Ji,

Firstly Thanks for welcome. Actually befor ever i don't know about this site. I am very happy to connectivity with this site. Myself sir, Sarabjit Kaur, I am from Chandigarh. I am gursikh girl with keski wearing girl. I have full faith in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I like lot of listening shabad kirtan. and try to follow the Sri Guru Granth Sahib marg.

Ok Sir,
thanks once again,
with regards,
sarabjit kaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Satnm -

Welcome to this Forum - I hope you have many good experiences interacting with us. We are pleased to have you as a new member.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: